BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Help - Car Shaking

07-31-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
Doctor X
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58

Help - Car Shaking

Hello,

I've tried describing this issue in previous posts but now I'm starting to get concerned because I feel as though the problem is getting worse and worse.

At speed of 60mph+ the front of the car seems to start shaking.

I feel this shaking slightly under acceleration bur its weird if I'm at HIGH speeds it seems to go away?

But at HIGH speeds once I apply the breaks the front of the car shakes very aggressively.

I am 80% sure its not the breaks because I've felt what warped/bad breaks feels like and this can't be it.

But it can still be the breaks I have no idea at this point.

Need some guidance
------------
Can anyone else explain what bad/failing Front Tension Strut (control arm) would feel like? What can I look for, any specific signs?

Is there any way I can test for this?

If I want to replace it can i use a m550i/m5 front tension strut? (does the X-Drive strut bars are differ in anyway).

Can anyone point in the right direction.

Thanks would really appreciate it.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 06:24 AM   #2
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Hello,

I've tried describing this issue in previous posts but now I'm starting to get concerned because I feel as though the problem is getting worse and worse.

At speed of 60mph+ the front of the car seems to start shaking.

I feel this shaking slightly under acceleration bur its weird if I'm at HIGH speeds it seems to go away?

But at HIGH speeds once I apply the breaks the front of the car shakes very aggressively.

I am 80% sure its not the breaks because I've felt what warped/bad breaks feels like and this can't be it.

But it can still be the breaks I have no idea at this point.

Need some guidance
------------
Sorry haven't seen your previous posts but, obvious question are your front wheels balanced properly or are they buckled or do the tyres have uneven treads?

The symptoms you describe where it gets progressively worse at 60mph+ and you can then drive through it at higher speed is a symptom of wheels out of balance. Braking will bring the speed to a point where the wheels are again out of balance.

Maybe you have been through this and it's non of the above, so would check discs not warped or that excessive pad material is bonded to disc so when you brake it causes vibration. (re-bed brakes). Also get the garage to check that suspension components / rubber bushing are all sound. Have heard that some bushes are oil filled and collapse internally so when you brake the suspension moves back, becomes out of alignment and perhaps contibutes to your problems.

Hope it helps
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2023, 05:37 PM   #3
Doctor X
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My cars steering alignment is slightly tilted towards the right in order to go in a straight line.

Could possibly mean that the left tension strut is bent/failing? or the right?

Not sure if a certain direction of tilt could help diagnose which side is being effected
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
Doctor X
Second Lieutenant
Rep

+ Update.

I noticed that I see excessive wear on my front outer sides of my tires.

Everything else looks good but the outside part closest to the rims are near balding.

Is this is a sign of alignment issues?
Appreciate 0