BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Toyota Supra

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #1475
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3540
Rep
8,508
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Looks like no manual, but more power for the 6.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...a-photos-info/
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #1476
XutvJet
Brigadier General
2858
Rep
3,631
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
4-Cylinder model officially confirmed, now gets the 382hp Inline-6, or at least they changed the stated HP numbers.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...a-photos-info/
Damn. That means they're giving the Supra the Z4 B58 tune. That means an additional 20 to 50 whp above 5000rpms. Torque stays the same though. https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1657836

An extra 50whp in the powerband will equate to a drop of around 0.5 seconds and an additional 4-5 mph in the 1/4 mile. It should be a solid upper 11-second at 116-118mph car. It should be quicker/faster than the M2C, Mustang GT350, and Camaro SS 1LE which are all in that $50-60K price range. Still well off the pace of the C8 though.
__________________
The forest was shrinking, but the Trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the Trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #1477
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3540
Rep
8,508
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Should definitely be $30k.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #1478
XutvJet
Brigadier General
2858
Rep
3,631
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that, even with early N55s, unless you're looking for power over 400whp, and even that is started to get negated when adding aftermarket turbos, the later N55 forged crank, etc. Outside of the obvious reliability advantage, the N55 feels better and sounds better than the N54, but I only have mine tuned to around 360 whp. Also, the N55 had better cooling in the block.
No issues with carbon build up because of the revised PVC system, far more reliable fuel injectors with no need for injector coding on replacement, more reliable coil packs, no issues with the HPFP, no issues with wastegates, and far less turbo system complication/hoses/vacuum systems. The N55 still has the other common issues though like water pumps, OFHG and valve cover gasket leaks, and oil pan leaks. Early N55s also had issues with rod bearings and I think the change to the S55 rod bearings was the driver with that.

Back on topic, turbo access on the Supra is wide open. Turbo replacements now take a couple of hours because of the lack of an external exhaust manifold. It's all right there once you remove the airbox. It's so different (and easy) compare to the N54 and N55 which required a ton of time to remove and replace turbos.

Pure Stage 2 turbo, tune, and E30 and you're deep into the 10s. I do wonder about longevity of the ZF 8AT behind that kind of power and the cooling capacity of the radiator and water to liquid IC at those sort of power levels.
__________________
The forest was shrinking, but the Trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the Trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #1479
Conissah
Captain
Conissah's Avatar
1084
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2C
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
No issues with carbon build up because of the revised PVC system, far more reliable fuel injectors with no need for injector coding on replacement, more reliable coil packs, no issues with the HPFP, no issues with wastegates, and far less turbo system complication/hoses/vacuum systems. The N55 still has the other common issues though like water pumps, OFHG and valve cover gasket leaks, and oil pan leaks. Early N55s also had issues with rod bearings and I think the change to the S55 rod bearings was the driver with that.

Back on topic, turbo access on the Supra is wide open. Turbo replacements now take a couple of hours because of the lack of an external exhaust manifold. It's all right there once you remove the airbox. It's so different (and easy) compare to the N54 and N55 which required a ton of time to remove and replace turbos.

Pure Stage 2 turbo, tune, and E30 and you're deep into the 10s. I do wonder about longevity of the ZF 8AT behind that kind of power and the cooling capacity of the radiator and water to liquid IC at those sort of power levels.
Guy on YT (AdamLZ) has one currently making like 650 wheel. Intercooler doesn't seem to be an issue as of yet, but he (and most others) are running a meth kit, so that keeps the IAT's in check. Tranny seems to be holding, but axles at the strip on slicks, not so much. I'm interested to see where the inevitable ceiling is for the stock motor.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #1480
spiceyxi
Private First Class
66
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

I wonder what this will mean for the 1,700 new Supras currently on dealership lots.

I would have to imagine that is going to sting dealerships that are holding on to the slower expensive version. Unless of course their is a big price increase for 2021.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #1481
XutvJet
Brigadier General
2858
Rep
3,631
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyxi View Post
I wonder what this will mean for the 1,700 new Supras currently on dealership lots.

I would have to imagine that is going to sting dealerships that are holding on to the slower expensive version. Unless of course their is a big price increase for 2021.
This may explain the rather sudden multi-thousand below MSRP mark downs I've seen over the past week.
__________________
The forest was shrinking, but the Trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the Trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #1482
XutvJet
Brigadier General
2858
Rep
3,631
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Guy on YT (AdamLZ) has one currently making like 650 wheel. Intercooler doesn't seem to be an issue as of yet, but he (and most others) are running a meth kit, so that keeps the IAT's in check. Tranny seems to be holding, but axles at the strip on slicks, not so much. I'm interested to see where the inevitable ceiling is for the stock motor.
I'm not entirely convinced it was an axle. It almost sounds like something broke in the diff based on what I saw of him inspecting the damage on a lift.

Block wise, the limits appear to be the electric arc wire spray coated cylinder walls. I've been monitoring the 3/4 series forums where B58 owners have been reporting scoring of the cylinder walls in 20-60K mileage stock and tuned B58s. The issues are compression loss, misfires, and power loss. The fix is a short block replacement. Since liners aren't used, you can't hone the bore. Hopefully it's only an issue with the earlier B58s. The Supra uses the same short block, different head though.
__________________
The forest was shrinking, but the Trees kept voting for the Axe, for the Axe was clever and convinced the Trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #1483
ASAP
Stargazing
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
3098
Rep
4,597
Posts

Drives: '20 M2 Comp HS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 305

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Current 135i owner here. It doesn't handle all that well stock. I was coming from a Cayman, which is about as good as it gets, and the 135i stock felt bouncy and squishy. Spend a few thousand in M3 and other suspension parts, though, and the 135i becomes fantastic. Spend more on an LSD and tuning stuff, and I'd probably take it over any other modern era BMW.

As far as the Supra goes, it's a fine performing car, but I don't like the style, I don't like that it's basically a BMW underneath, and I don't like that it doesn't have a manual. I'd rather have a used M2 with a stick, and it's much more practical to boot.
Former 135i owner, current M2C owner here...

A stock 135i in terms of handling is borderline trash, its suspension is designed on a bouncy damper that is made to fit Runflats... go drive the car after you replace the tires to a good tire like an Mpss. Your car will bounce and sway side to side like a trampoline... however; a 135i with proper rear toe arms (preferably steel bushing), nice coilovers and all subframe bushings replaced will drive very nicely... albeit it will feel very rough and still be super unreliable due to the N54... the M2 fixes all of that with a better, more modern balance and actual good looks. I could not see myself in a car of the 1 series class again... the regular M235i was such a solid upgrade in terms of an overall better car not even to mention an M2C.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread3539.50

      02-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #1484
gatorfast
Major General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
3392
Rep
6,364
Posts

Drives: 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (4)

I wonder if they are actually changing the engine tune or simply bumping the hp figures on paper to match reality. By all accounts, the initially 335hp version seemed to be vastly underrated and more in line with the 380hp in the z4. That blue color looks nice though. But if they really want to start moving these things then a manual option is needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #1485
heavyD^2
Major
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
1171
Rep
1,232
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I wonder if they are actually changing the engine tune or simply bumping the hp figures on paper to match reality. By all accounts, the initially 335hp version seemed to be vastly underrated and more in line with the 380hp in the z4. That blue color looks nice though. But if they really want to start moving these things then a manual option is needed.
I can't see it. It would be egg on their face to advertise a 45hp bump and have identical straight line performance. The announced 382 hp is exactly the same as the version used in the M340i, X3 M40i, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:14 PM   #1486
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
6383
Rep
6,508
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Now in Miami! :D

iTrader: (17)

I can't believe I still haven't seen a single one of these on the road yet. I've been driving around Miami a ton too over the past month to explore new home/surroundings. Seen just about everything you could imagine, but like back in STL not a single Supra. I've seen very few new Z4s as well, maybe three in total.

I like that blue color, very nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #1487
freakystyly
Second Lieutenant
Canada
82
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

This was taken in my town back in August, probably one of the only ones outside of Toronto at the time. Haven't seen one since.

They kind of fly under the radar in a darker colour.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #1488
Alfisti
Major
1217
Rep
1,388
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Why would you buy a car like that in grey...like really. It's like 99% of 911's between 06 and 2015 are grey or black.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #1489
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
814
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: Miss Daisy
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I don't think they're going to take 50% of the cylinders out and then charge more.
Not what I said
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #1490
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3540
Rep
8,508
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I don't think they're going to take 50% of the cylinders out and then charge more.
Not what I said
Okay. I'm sure they'll add 15% more power and charge less.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #1491
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
596
Rep
2,495
Posts

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
The current car is overpriced. Lower it all. It's a $30k car IMO

The 370Z is a $30k car.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #1492
hellrotm
Major General
3065
Rep
6,437
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Seeing 10+% off on new car Autotrader listings.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #1493
modthispny
First Lieutenant
127
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

again BMW/Toyota screwing the early adopters. SMH!

I get with a tune you can get the 2021 power and even more, but some owners just want to drive the car worry free without having to mod. :/
Appreciate 1
NickyC6382.50

      02-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #1494
duder13
Captain
duder13's Avatar
761
Rep
914
Posts

Drives: Cashmere
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Former 135i owner, current M2C owner here...

A stock 135i in terms of handling is borderline trash, its suspension is designed on a bouncy damper that is made to fit Runflats... go drive the car after you replace the tires to a good tire like an Mpss. Your car will bounce and sway side to side like a trampoline... however; a 135i with proper rear toe arms (preferably steel bushing), nice coilovers and all subframe bushings replaced will drive very nicely... albeit it will feel very rough and still be super unreliable due to the N54... the M2 fixes all of that with a better, more modern balance and actual good looks. I could not see myself in a car of the 1 series class again... the regular M235i was such a solid upgrade in terms of an overall better car not even to mention an M2C.
I don’t know. My 135i (n55 version) with all new suspension arms, bushings, shocks/springs, camber plates, wheels/tires, sway bars, LSD, strut bar, etc. (not to mention the engine mods and custom tune) is way more fun than the M2. Now, it’s likely just down to the smaller size and much better steering feel, but I wouldn’t trade it for the M2 (haven’t driven the M2C, though.) Granted, we’re talking several thousand dollars in mods, so I’m not saying it’s a financially wise decision (unless maybe comparing to the 1M,) and I’d certainly take the M2C over any other current BMW.

The new Supra has an even shorter wheelbase, which is cool, but I’m skeptical about the steering, and no manual is a no-go for me.

Last edited by duder13; 02-14-2020 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
NickyC6382.50

      02-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #1495
Salty Dog
Captain
Salty Dog's Avatar
3526
Rep
886
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Why would you buy a car like that in grey...like really. It's like 99% of 911's between 06 and 2015 are grey or black.
Maybe so it doesn't look like every other Supra
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #1496
Tacoma
Lieutenant
273
Rep
466
Posts

Drives: BMW's for 25+ years
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I wonder if they are actually changing the engine tune or simply bumping the hp figures on paper to match reality. By all accounts, the initially 335hp version seemed to be vastly underrated and more in line with the 380hp in the z4. That blue color looks nice though. But if they really want to start moving these things then a manual option is needed.
According to Road and Track, the 2019 Supra has the B58B30C engine while the Z4 has the B38B30B engine. They have different cylinder heads, pistons, connecting rods and turbocharger among others.

So it's more than just a simple tune and the new Supra should be even faster than before, likely faster than the M2C. It should be interesting.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST