Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #23
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
Noooooo....they built them to go as fast and handle as well as possible while still being able to go up a driveway without destroying the whole front end and making it possible to go over a speed bump. It's called common sense.
That's exactly right. I need for my M4 to do those things and am glad that BMW designed so that it would.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #24
Jdebitjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 and 2015 M3 Sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
My $0.02, those little German engineers are way smarter than the guy busting out suspension pieces for (insert favorite after market brand). So I'll just leave it well enough alone.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #25
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Newsflash: things can be done to these cars to actually "improve performance." You don't have to be an engineer to realize this. It's called common sense.
First, I am an engineer. Second, both my common sense and engineering background tell me that anyone that thinks that simply lowering a car improves its handling hasn't a clue.

Yes, DTM cars sit lower. And you can be assured that many more hours of engineering and tuning goes into their setup than anyone's aftermarket springs or coilovers.

You want look cool? I'm fine with that. It's your car. But don't delude yourself that you have somehow "improved" it's handling.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #26
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
First, I am an engineer. Second, both my common sense and engineering background tell me that anyone that thinks that simply lowering a car improves its handling hasn't a clue.

Yes, DTM cars sit lower. And you can be assured that many more hours of engineering and tuning goes into their setup than anyone's aftermarket springs or coilovers.

You want look cool? I'm fine with that. It's your car. But don't delude yourself that you have somehow "improved" it's handling.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #27
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post

No one said that simply lowering a car improves it's handling. But to categorically say that you can't improve on the handling is as much of a false statement. However, until someone puts the correct coilovers and races the same car stock then these arguments are pointless.

And "improving performance" isn't tied to just lowering. It's tune, exhaust, down pipes, etc and I'd say some of the before/after dynos posted in these threads do show that some of these "improve performance."
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #28
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
First is, in reference to your other cars posted, in my eyes the gap seems proportionate front and back. I know on my M3 I have 1/2" gap in the rear and 2" in the front. To me it looks extremely disproportionate and I have to disagree with one poster and say to me it looks worse in person than it does in pics.
So I wonder if BMW does this on purpose? Obviously it could be corrected if they saw a need to ... unless the rear sits lower for handling reasons.

Maybe they do it for marketing reasons so they can sell a $4000 Comp package later that includes shorter springs.

Maybe they really just don't see a problem with it. Like building a house and missing a key design point that most people see and you don't.

Maybe I am still obsessing over it.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #29
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
And "improving performance" isn't tied to just lowering. It's tune, exhaust, down pipes, etc and I'd say some of the before/after dynos posted in these threads do show that some of these "improve performance."
BMW also has the requirement to make their automobiles to be street legal. Many of the mods made by people are NOT street legal, yet they make the mod and drive the cars on the street. Apparently, thumbing their nose at authority is as cool as they think their cars are. An M4 DTM car is a high performance car and definitely has "improved performance" over the M4, but you can't drive it on the street.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #30
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
So I wonder if BMW does this on purpose? Obviously it could be corrected if they saw a need to ... unless the rear sits lower for handling reasons.

Maybe they do it for marketing reasons so they can sell a $4000 Comp package later that includes shorter springs.

Maybe they really just don't see a problem with it. Like building a house and missing a key design point that most people see and you don't.

It's not like ZCP even drops the car enough where it would be satisfactory to me. But you have to realize, if the car was actually as low as I like, I'm sure many more people would curb the front. Not to mention like someone said the legality of the car in various countries around the world. I know Japan and China are super strict about how wide the track of the car can be vs the body ect...

I at least know to be careful with curbs and speed bumps with my E92. There'd be a lot more damage if I gave it to someone that had no clue.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #31
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

my ZCP M3 with beefy after market PSS looks great IMO. there is zero wheel gap in the rear, and little gap in the front. would never dream of lowering it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #32
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
If they engineered these cars for only performance they'd look like a DTM race car. Newsflash: things can be done to these cars to actually "improve performance." You don't have to be an engineer to realize this. It's called common sense.
Exactly the kind of guy who I want working on my F82...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #33
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

Lightbulb

because
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #34
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

In NYC I cringe at the sight of a lowered car. You give up comfort, flexibility, long term ownership just for looks. Streets are far from perfect here so lowering just for looks just asking for trouble. There's no race tracks in NYC. I call BS if they tell me is for track days. Potholes, curbs, elevation changes, construction sites and list goes on and all I see a car getting damaged over long term.

Then there resale value. My friend and I windowed shopped E46's and E90's sometime back and kept finding local cars just beaten to hell. The majority of them all lowered. I would never consider lowering.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #35
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Lowering is a must for me. Just looks so much better also I enjoy the ride quality much more . The car just feels tighter overall and that always good.

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #36
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

Is this thread for real? You do realize that all our vaunted manufacturers (BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc) put out Competition, Challenge, GT, etc versions of their cars that almost always include lower than standard spec suspensions, right? None of these cars in standard trim are at their optimum ride height out of the factory for performance. They're compromised for tons of factors, many of which relate to selling the most cars to the broadest spectrum of buyers. As to not being able to drive a car lowered on springs because of road conditions or stiffness, again, I don't get it. To me, the compromises are minimal. My wife is the furthest thing from an enthusiast but she loved driving my e86M lowered on Eibach springs as well as my current e92M on H&R Race springs. She drove both cars stock and had no idea when I made the switch to the aftermarket springs. Both cars were/are year round drivers here in the Midwest and I've never had any issues relating to lack of ground clearance.

I get that you want to keep your car stock because it better suits your needs, and I agree not to post incessant comments about your stock ride height. How about the same courtesy in return
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #37
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Automotive manufacturers make many compromises when designing a car, and not all are tailored around performance in particular. Ultimately BMW gives you an overall package with the M3 or M4, and both cars represent a juggling of thousands of different criteria and constraints.

Ride height is only one of many factors that are considered when modifying a car's suspension, including spring rate, roll center, roll axis inclination, and centers of mass. Simply saying a given ride height is too high of too low is truly only discussing a small fraction of the complete picture.
      08-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #38
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
Is this thread for real? You do realize that all our vaunted manufacturers (BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc) put out Competition, Challenge, GT, etc versions of their cars that almost always include lower than standard spec suspensions, right? None of these cars in standard trim are at their optimum ride height out of the factory for performance. They're compromised for tons of factors, many of which relate to selling the most cars to the broadest spectrum of buyers. As to not being able to drive a car lowered on springs because of road conditions or stiffness, again, I don't get it. To me, the compromises are minimal. My wife is the furthest thing from an enthusiast but she loved driving my e86M lowered on Eibach springs as well as my current e92M on H&R Race springs. She drove both cars stock and had no idea when I made the switch to the aftermarket springs. Both cars were/are year round drivers here in the Midwest and I've never had any issues relating to lack of ground clearance.

I get that you want to keep your car stock because it better suits your needs, and I agree not to post incessant comments about your stock ride height. How about the same courtesy in return
Where's the Like Button?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #39
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
The whole idea of these forums is for people to share information and express their opinions on various topics. Amazingly enough, everybody will not always share your opinion and even more amazingly, you will not always share their opinion. It is not a lack of courtesy to post comments that disagree with your viewpoint.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #40
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
The whole idea of these forums is for people to share information and express their opinions on various topics. Amazingly enough, everybody will not always share your opinion and even more amazingly, you will not always share their opinion. It is not a lack of courtesy to post comments that disagree with your viewpoint.
Of course people will disagree. What is a lack of courtesy, veering towards being a downright ass, is to post comments saying that this mod or that mod looks like shit, or is disresptectful to the German engineers, or some other rudely disparaging remark.

For me, I like the look of a lowered car, but will not be doing it to my M4, because I also like the ability to easily go over curbs and speedbumps without having to turn almost sideways to get better clearance.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #41
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Of course people will disagree. What is a lack of courtesy, veering towards being a downright ass, is to post comments saying that this mod or that mod looks like shit, or is disresptectful to the German engineers, or some other rudely disparaging remark.

For me, I like the look of a lowered car, but will not be doing it to my M4, because I also like the ability to easily go over curbs and speedbumps without having to turn almost sideways to get better clearance.
Well, I most certainly apologize if I have been an ass to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #42
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
Well, I most certainly apologize if I have been an ass to anyone.
I'll make it clear, in case there was confusion. I was quoting you, not because I have seen any such thing from you, but because you wer eboth the last person to post, and had a relevant point that I wanted to discuss. I apoligize if it sounded like I was saying that you were an ass, that certainly wasn't my intent.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #43
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
I'll make it clear, in case there was confusion. I was quoting you, not because I have seen any such thing from you, but because you wer eboth the last person to post, and had a relevant point that I wanted to discuss. I apoligize if it sounded like I was saying that you were an ass, that certainly wasn't my intent.
Great!! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #44
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post

One of the key things that manufacturers often have to do differently for the US market is change front ride height for US headlight regulations. We force headlights to be a given distance above the ground in the front.

I think it looks terrible, personally.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0