BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Where is this M2 market headed?

04-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #23
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup
The car came out less than a month ago, of course cars are hard to come by NOW but they won't be hard to come by FOREVER. Dealers always get low allocations when a new car is out but as time passes production increases and demand declines. Saying that the car will be sold out for the next 2 years is completely bogus.

Look at the Cayman GT4, Porsche advertised it as a limited run car and when it first came out the demand was HOT, everybody wanted one and the going rate was $15k over msrp, now that almost a year has gone by dealers have multiple sitting on their showroom floor
The one thing to consider with your comment is that the initial number of M2's coming to NA are HALF of that of the GT4.

As much as people want to believe that all of a sudden 300 unspoken for M2's are going to show up, it's simply not going to happen.

I have solid, insider info that production numbers are going to stay this low for a while. It's being done on purpose and will continue this way until at least the LCI in 2018. After that things may change.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #24
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
The one thing to consider with your comment is that the initial number of M2's coming to NA are HALF of that of the GT4.

As much as people want to believe that all of a sudden 300 unspoken for M2's are going to show up, it's simply not going to happen.

I have solid, insider info that production numbers are going to stay this low for a while. It's being done on purpose and will continue this way until at least the LCI in 2018. After that things may change.
This is correct. And the plant is at full capacity with all the other cars that are made there.
      04-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #25
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Look at the Cayman GT4, Porsche advertised it as a limited run car and when it first came out the demand was HOT, everybody wanted one and the going rate was $15k over msrp, now that almost a year has gone by dealers have multiple sitting on their showroom floor
The GT4 is limited run. Still no word on whether they will make a 2017 model. Even then there is a wait list for a 2017 model than might not even exist. A close friend of mine is still waiting for an allocation. One of his dealers called a couple months ago with allocation, they wanted $10k over msrp. If a dealer does have one on the lot, almost 99% chance it will have a markup if you call in or optioned well over $100k. Pre-owned GT4 is an option, but those have big markups as well. If you know a configurable allocation at msrp pm me the details, my friend would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by hellrotm; 04-25-2016 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #26
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

The total amount of GT4's which are going to be produced worldwide is expected to be only 2,500 over 2 years, with approximately 50% of it coming to NA. This equals out to 625 GT4's a year for NA and if we divide that by 50%, then what you and your insider are saying is only 313 M2's will be coming in the first year?

Granted, I have absolutely no idea how many M2's BMW will produce but I find it hard to believe that BMW won't even make as many M2's in their first year as they have dealers in the US.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #27
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
There are currently 5 M4s on the lot at the dealer near me.

That will never be the case for the M2, not at any point of its production run
is that shomp? they get more m cars than most of the other dealerships
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #28
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
is that shomp? they get more m cars than most of the other dealerships
Yep. Incredible dealership.

They've actually got way more than 5 M4's, those were just the ones I saw in the back. There's got to be at least 10 available for purchase off of the lot right now.

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #29
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
While I agree that M2 probably won't be plentiful for the next year, there's still a possibility they'll ramp up production more after the first year. Will just have to wait and see. Also don't forget the LCI in 2018 and on to a projected EOP 2020.

The country you're in makes a difference too. Most of us are talking about the US. Canada and UK are in a different situation unfortunately.

To OPher02k

CosmosMpower was able to impressively find multiple cars available in a short period of time IN THE US. So get on a list now if you haven't and if you find yourself wanting the car now, get on the phone around the first week of each month and call dealers around and not around you. Chances are you'll find MSRP
LOL, I didn't pick up a phone on either of those cars. I found out about both of them randomly from other people. The second one someone on a Focus RS forum told me about when I mentioned I may get a M2 or RS.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #30
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

you guys are delusional.... drinking the forum kool aid. bmw has stated that one of the reasons behind the m2 is a lower cost intro point to the m line. anyone in sales would understand that this is a seating strategy. if you restrict the availability it goes directly against their goal...so why would they do that. why would it be front and center on their website if their intention is to only allow access to a restricted few?

M2 is like any other production car...they are hard to get at first but will be available in time. shit, the chevy volt had mark ups when it first came out. this isnt the first time a car has had demand post launch, and it wont be the last.

its been less than a month, give it time. and for those who know someone who knows someone, take it with a grain of salt. its likely bmw hasnt even decided production numbers yet. they arent going to scale production unless there is demand to buy the car. and i'm not talking forum demand, i'm talking demand from the masses. they still need the data points to gauge demand. and they arent going to base that decision off of 10 days worth of data from a small group of forum members. bmw has been in business long enough to know what they are doing. they have plenty of experience shifting resources to produce their hottest cars. they can decrease production on cars that find themselves sitting on lots and increase production on those in demand. it doesnt happen over night but rather quarterly, annually etc.

if you think i'm wrong and you believe the m2 is going to be a unicorn, why not pay a 5k msrp mark up?....put your money where your mouth is. its only going up in value right!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #31
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
you guys are delusional.... drinking the forum kool aid. bmw has stated that one of the reasons behind the m2 is a lower cost intro point to the m line. anyone in sales would understand that this is a seating strategy. if you restrict the availability it goes directly against their goal...so why would they do that. why would it be front and center on their website if their intention is to only allow access to a restricted few?

M2 is like any other production car...they are hard to get at first but will be available in time. shit, the chevy volt had mark ups when it first came out. this isnt the first time a car has had demand post launch, and it wont be the last.

its been less than a month, give it time. and for those who know someone who knows someone, take it with a grain of salt. its likely bmw hasnt even decided production numbers yet. they arent going to scale production unless there is demand to buy the car. and i'm not talking forum demand, i'm talking demand from the masses. they still need the data points to gauge demand. and they arent going to base that decision off of 10 days worth of data from a small group of forum members. bmw has been in business long enough to know what they are doing. they have plenty of experience shifting resources to produce their hottest cars. they can decrease production on cars that find themselves sitting on lots and increase production on those in demand. it doesnt happen over night but rather quarterly, annually etc.

if you think i'm wrong and you believe the m2 is going to be a unicorn, why not pay a 5k msrp mark up?....put your money where your mouth is. its only going up in value right!
no one thinks the m2 is going to be the 1 series m. I put my money where my mouth was and paid msrp.
Appreciate 3
      04-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #32
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
no one thinks the m2 is going to be the 1 series m. I put my money where my mouth was and paid msrp.
actually, if you read all the posts its pretty evident a lot of people do believe a similiar scenario may occur.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #33
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
actually, if you read all the posts its pretty evident a lot of people do believe a similiar scenario may occur.
they only made about 800 1 series m's. there will obviously be more m2's. but there will be a lot less then the m3/4's. the reason why I bought the m2 is that its the perfect fit for what I want in a car and its a bargain for what you get. Over the next two years it will be around msrp. one thing that could happen though is that bmw could decide to not have as long of a production as planned. there isn't a lot of profit margin with this car.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #34
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

I know for me, the hype about the M2 based on BMW Marketing, Media reviews and interweb chatter drove me to purchase my new obsession sight unseen. I never thought I would have a suitable replacement for my beloved E46 M3, but now I do and believe me, to see this car in the metal and now drive it the hype is accurate. Based on the reaction people have when they see the car in person I believe the demand will be even greater as time goes on. The general public have limited exposure to this car and therefore as more M2's are on the road there will definetly be more demand.

I hate the fact that a Stealership would charge over MSRP, but supply and demand may force this to be reality for some time
      04-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #35
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
they only made about 800 1 series m's. there will obviously be more m2's. but there will be a lot less then the m3/4's. the reason why I bought the m2 is that its the perfect fit for what I want in a car and its a bargain for what you get. Over the next two years it will be around msrp. one thing that could happen though is that bmw could decide to not have as long of a production as planned. there isn't a lot of profit margin with this car.
you cant predict vehicle value and manufacturing numbers 2 years out anymore than you can predict changes in stock, labor, or housing market. nothing but speculation around here
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #36
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you cant predict vehicle value and manufacturing numbers 2 years out anymore than you can predict changes in stock, labor, or housing market. nothing but speculation around here
that is 100% true. but just like in the market people make moves based on what they think the future will be. My hedge is I don't give a shit if it goes up or goes down. the waitlist is two years out for the car and it wouldn't surprise me if the lci had a price increase. I understand that you think that there are no objective people in this forum.

ps m4s are going for below invoice new.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #37
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
that is 100% true. but just like in the market people make moves based on what they think the future will be. My hedge is I don't give a shit if it goes up or goes down. the waitlist is two years out for the car and it wouldn't surprise me if the lci had a price increase. I understand that you think that there are no objective people in this forum.

ps m4s are going for below invoice new.
2 years after lauch...of course they are, just like most cars. most are getting 7k or so off msrp for new m4's and m3's. i bought mine used for 63k, had an msrp of 80k. i'm not going to be the one that takes that hit

apparently so are m2's http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1254386
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #38
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2 years after lauch...of course they are, just like most cars. most are getting 7k or so off msrp for new m4's and m3's. i bought mine used for 63k, had an msrp of 80k. i'm not going to be the one that takes that hit

that guy said in the thread that he paid msrp. when I bought my m3 I didn't buy it new for the same reason you did for your m4.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #39
her02k
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 turbo

Quote:
To order or not to order that is the question. The wait time I'm hearing from my dealer (one of the honorable ones) is that the wait time could be as much as 8 months. Should someone order and commit $2500 or grab a car off the lot when things calm down. Hence the reason to try and decipher what is going to happen.

What is the probobility that a blue manual m2 will be available for msrp soonish?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #40
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:

It has been documented many times on the forum,that the Leipzig plant is already maxed out on production capacity and producing the M2 at the plant is not easy because they have to modify the production line for M2 production.

IMO,BMW is also going to keep M2 production limited,simply because they don't want to many on dealer lots at a much lower price than the M3 and M4.This would definitely cost BMW money,because they won't be selling as many of there more profitable models.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #41
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
It has been documented many times on the forum,that the Leipzig plant is already maxed out on production capacity and producing the M2 at the plant is not easy because they have to modify the production line for M2 production.

IMO,BMW is also going to keep M2 production limited,simply because they don't want to many on dealer lots at a much lower price than the M3 and M4.This would definitely cost BMW money,because they won't be selling as many of there more profitable models.
production capacity and modification of production line is an intermittent issue that they will work out.

I dont think bmw cares which m car you buy. their concern isnt an m2 buyer going and buying an m3/m4 or vice verse, their concern is likely you go buy another brand. there are trying to capture market share, internal bmw competition is the least of their worries.

i guess only time will tell
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #42
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:

Quote:
that guy said in the thread that he paid msrp. when I bought my m3 I didn't buy it new for the same reason you did for your m4.
I guess paying above sticker price makes it below sticker?? Huh?

If you read the thread he actually paid $57,145 (He showed the sales agreement) for a BSM, 6MT, Exec Pkg. which is actually about 3K more than MSRP.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #43
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
I guess paying above sticker price makes it below sticker?? Huh?

If you read the thread he actually paid $57,145 (He showed the sales agreement) for a BSM, 6MT, Exec Pkg. which is actually about 3K more than MSRP.
I read the thread. If you paid attention to details and looked at the times of the posts you'll see he originally said below msrp, Then I commented here referencing the thread. The op on the other thread then corrected himself. I was the one that requested he post the deal sheet.

Deff right though. Instant collector car. I hear they are only making 25 and each is hand built and interior is finished with unicorn leather
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #44
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
I read the thread. If you paid attention to details and looked at the times of the posts you'll see he originally said below msrp, Then I commented here referencing the thread. The op on the other thread then corrected himself. I was the one that requested he post the deal sheet.

Deff right though. Instant collector car. I hear they are only making 25 and each is hand built and interior is finished with unicorn leather
Hahahaha, you did make me laugh with this

Soon.
Appreciate 0