BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Test drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance today... Wow

12-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #155
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
The thing is that i don't think tesla is limited in what they can do from an electronics/software point of view.

I believe their approach to their cars are what the car is in itself. That is a "simple" EV that works in today's world.

This is why i said everyone is playing catchup with tesla as tesla is still 10 years ahead of everyone. This is why cars like the mach-e which is supposed to be a "threat" to tesla, is not anything like that at all unless someone would solely pick a mach-e over a tesla just because of their hatred for the tesla brand. Not even going through the actual logistics of it. Not knowing (or actually indirectly knowing) a tesla model y would be a better purchase over a mach-e. Some people hate so much they would get an inferior EV just to spite tesla. And the many comments here, on social media, or other car forums are proof of that. Usually this happens, when they know it's rather good. They just would never want to admit it. Basic psychology.

I believe moving foward, tesla would alter the way a non typical EV user would want to use their controls and functions in a car. For example i don't agree with that i have to go into the screen to turn on the wipers. To me, that's a bit extreme. But again that is the approach to how they want to design the car.

The way it functions overall is pretty good although i noticed in my friends car, during really hot summer days, the screen would reboot itself. Or sometimes shut off completely, then you have to stop, "turn the car off", then turn it back on and it'll come back to life. Supposedly OTA updates correct this but it's a small flaw to live with.

As far as EV functionality, tesla is like i said 10 years ahead. Once they improve the onboard infotainment, and keep improving their build quality, will only further the success of the brand.

There's no comp right now for them, and not for the near future. I say it'll take about 10 years or so for other car makers to get on board before they can really put a dent in tesla sales when it comes to full on EV's.
I agree. If Tesla can get their head slightly out of their ass regarding the little things they will continue to stay ahead of all their EV competition.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      12-31-2021, 02:46 AM   #156
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Meanwhile the bumper falls off randomly on new model y
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 08:16 AM   #157
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Meanwhile the bumper falls off randomly on new model y
These types of posts are so useless. You can find something bad about any manufacturer. Heck - just search Bimmer forums and you find examples of something wrong or something that people might dislike.

My wife’s last SUV was a Mercedes and it was a horrible experience, but 4 previous ones were fine. Mercedes bought it back. My friends new X5 was replaced because of so many issues and now has same issues on replaced X5. Brother-in-laws Lincoln SUV Aviator Black label was bought back with so many issues and on and on.

I am not a Tesla fanboy, but a BMW fanboy, but get tired of people bashing Tesla, when they have no clue.

People should be happy for Tesla, as they have changed and dominated the whole EV market, which is amazing for a start up company and built a super charger network from the ground up. It should have been BMW, but they are way behind now.

So morale of the story is if you have no experience with Tesla and nothing nice to say move on. Maybe make that a New Year’s resolution.
Appreciate 3
Sedoy680.00
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      12-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #158
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Haters gonna hate, not much you can do about it... They keep complaining about soulless EVs, but keep buying even more soulless SUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
These types of posts are so useless. You can find something bad about any manufacturer. Heck - just search Bimmer forums and you find examples of something wrong or something that people might dislike.

My wife’s last SUV was a Mercedes and it was a horrible experience, but 4 previous ones were fine. Mercedes bought it back. My friends new X5 was replaced because of so many issues and now has same issues on replaced X5. Brother-in-laws Lincoln SUV Aviator Black label was bought back with so many issues and on and on.

I am not a Tesla fanboy, but a BMW fanboy, but get tired of people bashing Tesla, when they have no clue.

People should be happy for Tesla, as they have changed and dominated the whole EV market, which is amazing for a start up company and built a super charger network from the ground up. It should have been BMW, but they are way behind now.

So morale of the story is if you have no experience with Tesla and nothing nice to say move on. Maybe make that a New Year’s resolution.

Last edited by Sedoy; 12-31-2021 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #159
MalibuM3
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 6MT

From a drivetrain perspective a Tesla Model 3 Performance is reliable like a Camry. OK the finish of the paintwork could be much better in particular if you choose "solid black". But driving is nice and somewhat relaxing due to the low noise level. But for petrol heads like me it is also a bit boring. Thats why I have ordered already the successor of my Model 3 a M3 G80 6MT, so I am heading to a good ol´ICE.
2005 BMW Z4 E85
1967 Volkswagen Bug
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #160
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuM3 View Post
From a drivetrain perspective a Tesla Model 3 Performance is reliable like a Camry.
Now that's funny (did you mean drive- or powertrain?)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 02:03 PM   #161
MalibuM3
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 6MT

Of course powertrain.
2005 BMW Z4 E85
1967 Volkswagen Bug
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 02:37 PM   #162
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:

Wait what happens in the next couple of years.

Elon has a lot of stuff cooking!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:21 PM   #163
F80_Kbo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

All I can say is I never spun a crank hub in any of my teslas…
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:43 PM   #164
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyyitsKbo View Post
All I can say is I never spun a crank hub in any of my teslas…
Hey, if you haven't spun your hub, you don't drive hard enough or not enough power😂
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:16 AM   #165
saber-004
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper F56

All the European car manufacturers are dumping money into EV research and manufacturing with EU banned petrol cars in 10 years. I reckon 3-5 years from now, the competition will seriously hot up. 2nd gen electric BMW/Minis will be a hit.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:08 PM   #166
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:

Wait what happens in the next couple of years.

Elon has a lot of stuff cooking!!!
Tesla today is in a similar position as Apple in 2007. The iPhone was a great platform but Blackberry, Nokias and even many Windows Phone devices were better. However, the things Apple needed to fix was easier than what the others had to do since Apple got the OS and UX right for the phone. Tesla has the lead in battery/charging and software to build on…Tesla also has a lot of cash now to advance the state of the art.

People think that Tesla is going after luxury brands because of their pricing. Actually they are going after mainstream brands with their current feature set. If you are going from a Toyota Rav 4 to a Model Y or a Camry to a Model 3, panel gaps and such don't matter as much. It is one reason customer satisfaction is so high for Tesla owners.

If you are a luxury car buyer, then Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and BMW will still come out on top vs Tesla. There is a reason Tesla does not ship with leather interiors. They are not targeting buyers that care about it…
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #167
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Tesla today is in a similar position as Apple in 2007. The iPhone was a great platform but Blackberry, Nokias and even many Windows Phone devices were better. However, the things Apple needed to fix was easier than what the others had to do since Apple got the OS and UX right for the phone. Tesla has the lead in battery/charging and software to build on…Tesla also has a lot of cash now to advance the state of the art.

People think that Tesla is going after luxury brands because of their pricing. Actually they are going after mainstream brands with their current feature set. If you are going from a Toyota Rav 4 to a Model Y or a Camry to a Model 3, panel gaps and such don't matter as much. It is one reason customer satisfaction is so high for Tesla owners.

If you are a luxury car buyer, then Porsche, Audi, Mercedes and BMW will still come out on top vs Tesla. There is a reason Tesla does not ship with leather interiors. They are not targeting buyers that care about it…
Actually no it's not that people think tesla is going after luxury brands to compete in the luxury dept. It's because people want to compare it TO luxury brands. So naturally people tend to gravitate to "build quality" whenever tesla is mentioned.

Tesla only makes EV's, obviously. And in that dept they have the EV world on lock. There is no other way around it. We can talk about the EV hummer, or the lightning, the taycan, or whatever you want.

Fact is, tesla has cars that are ready to go RIGHT NOW. They are still a relatively new company, and that's with 4 models. The 3, Y, X, and the S. I didn't even talk about the roadster which they are supposed to "debut again" sometime next year. It'll be their hypercar, capable of an 8 second 1/4 time with a price tag of 200k. And since we know what the plaid can do in a big heavy ass 4 door sedan, running 9s from factory, the roadster will be the real deal.

I'm a fan of tesla so i know their many flaws. If i wanted a tesla (which i am getting in a couple of months), i'm not getting it for it's build quality, i'm getting it for the simplicity of having an EV that i can daily. A car that will do repeated 3.1 0-60. A car i can charge on the weekend while i drive my ICE toy. A car i can put on TURO for a couple of days a month, so that money can be used to pay off the monthly lease payment.

Tesla is a brand that WORKS. And since people are opposed to EV, naturally tesla is their first target to criticize.
Appreciate 3
FCX52383.50
Sedoy680.00
      01-06-2022, 09:13 PM   #168
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Actually no it's not that people think tesla is going after luxury brands to compete in the luxury dept.
Really? So you don’t think that Tesla’s ‘Model 3’ naming has anything to do with the BMW 3 series and ‘Model S’ with MB S class?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #169
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Really? So you don’t think that Tesla’s ‘Model 3’ naming has anything to do with the BMW 3 series and ‘Model S’ with MB S class?
Nooo remember Elon wanted his "S3XY" lineup.
AlexFL7837.00
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      01-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #170
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post

Actually no it's not that people think tesla is going after luxury brands to compete in the luxury dept. It's because people want to compare it TO luxury brands. So naturally people tend to gravitate to "build quality" whenever tesla is mentioned.

Tesla only makes EV's, obviously. And in that dept they have the EV world on lock. There is no other way around it. We can talk about the EV hummer, or the lightning, the taycan, or whatever you want.

Fact is, tesla has cars that are ready to go RIGHT NOW. They are still a relatively new company, and that's with 4 models. The 3, Y, X, and the S. I didn't even talk about the roadster which they are supposed to "debut again" sometime next year. It'll be their hypercar, capable of an 8 second 1/4 time with a price tag of 200k. And since we know what the plaid can do in a big heavy ass 4 door sedan, running 9s from factory, the roadster will be the real deal.

I'm a fan of tesla so i know their many flaws. If i wanted a tesla (which i am getting in a couple of months), i'm not getting it for it's build quality, i'm getting it for the simplicity of having an EV that i can daily. A car that will do repeated 3.1 0-60. A car i can charge on the weekend while i drive my ICE toy. A car i can put on TURO for a couple of days a month, so that money can be used to pay off the monthly lease payment.

Tesla is a brand that WORKS. And since people are opposed to EV, naturally tesla is their first target to criticize.
Wow! I love your analysis and insights 👍🏻
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      01-07-2022, 04:32 AM   #171
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So did GM copy nissan by calling one of their corvettes a Z06 in relation to the nissan Z?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:33 AM   #172
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
LOL You're probably right.

Elon is fucking smart and i bet people never even caught that.

I think you're onto something here
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 08:41 AM   #173
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
LOL You're probably right.

Elon is fucking smart and i bet people never even caught that.

I think you're onto something here
I think Elon gives Zero fucks about any other car manufacturer. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #174
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
I think Elon gives Zero fucks about any other car manufacturer. Lol.
Hahaha exactly that too.

He doesn’t need to take aim at luxury brands. Tesla isn’t a luxury car. It’s an EV force that’ll take other car makers at least a decade to catch up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 12:23 PM   #175
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Actually no it's not that people think tesla is going after luxury brands to compete in the luxury dept.
Really? So you don't think that Tesla's 'Model 3' naming has anything to do with the BMW 3 series and 'Model S' with MB S class?
If I recall correctly the Model 3 was originally intended to be the Model E to create a lineup with models spelling out "SEXY" but I believe there was a trademark issue that Ford would not let them adopt the name, thus 3 was used as a backwards E.

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...t-the-e-in-sex
      01-07-2022, 12:32 PM   #176
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
If I recall correctly the Model 3 was originally intended to be the Model E to create a lineup with models spelling out "SEXY" but I believe there was a trademark issue that Ford would not let them adopt the name, thus 3 was used as a backwards E.

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...t-the-e-in-sex
That is correct, but regardless… Tesla’s been clearly been targeting the premium car segment. E.g., see Musk’s tweet from 2017.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0