BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Review: Monaco Motorsport M Performance Carbon Fiber Side Skirt Extensions

02-14-2024, 04:53 PM   #1
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Review: Monaco Motorsport M Performance Carbon Fiber Side Skirt Extensions

Intro
Since I bought my front lip from Monaco Motorsport (review, here), I went with them for my side skirts, too. At the time, they were called "BMW G30 5 Series Carbon Fiber M Performance Style Side Skirt Add-on Lip Extensions." Now it appears there are two options with slightly different names, "BMW F90 M5 Carbon Fiber M Performance Style Side Skirt Add-on Lip Extensions" and "BMW G30 5 Series Wet Carbon Fiber M Performance Style Side Skirt Add-on Lip Extensions." Since the descriptions are identical on both pages, I don't know which one I have or what the difference is.

Packaging: 10/10
The packaging was extremely robust, arriving in a literal wooden box. They were wrapped in foam sheeting, which was more than adequate considering the wooden container.

Fit and Finish: X/10
There was a little white (what I can only assume is) casting residue that needed to be cleaned off.

The biggest thing with these (and maybe it's the same on others) is that the side skirts are NOT 100% carbon. They are PVC or HDPE with a real carbon top layer. This means they are much more flexible than if they were only made of CF, which may be why they do that. The problem I have with this is that they are pretty damned expensive considering they are 90% plastic. So, I'm not really sure how to rate this.

Assembly: 10/10

Install was super easy. Just drill out every other dimple visible on the back side of the side skirt, and screw it into the bottom of the rocker panel. You can make your life easier by only pulling off the tape backing to the first or second screw, and running that screw in. Then do the same to the other end of the skirt. It's then a cinch to pull the remainder of the backing tape off, and run the remaining screws in. JUST BE SURE THAT YOU DON'T USE YOUR DRILL/DRIVER TO RUN THE SCREWS ALL THE WAY IN. Just use it to get them started, and the snug them up by hand. You're basically just looking to tighten them enough to squish the 3M tape, a little. If you go any tighter, good chance it will strip out.

Instead of the hardware that came with it, I used these M5-2.2 x 17mm with 22mm floating washers. These are the same as the screws used to attached the front corner underbody covers, of which I had a handful left over from the front lip install. In total, I used 10 of these screws on each side. I hope this will be sufficient. Not sure how easy it will be to get to the backside of the rocker panel in order to install screws with nuts and washers.

IIRC, they only sent 10 screws total with the kit. IMO, that's not sufficient, considering it's just screwing into the plastic rocker covers. I also opted for 1" 3M tape, instead of the 1/4" that came with it. In theory, this should provide some extra support and maybe help prevent the screws pulling out.

Final verdict: 8/10
Visually, they look great. I'm dubious about the carbon-on-plastic construction, though. I guess it's fine but like I said, it seems like a lot of money for that sort of thing.

Appreciate 0