BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2020 540i xdrive, Executive Pck incl Remote Start?

01-09-2023, 06:04 AM   #1
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540i

2020 540i xdrive, Executive Pck incl Remote Start?

Hey guys,
I'm a proud owner of a CPO 2020 540i xdive with the following packages:

Driving Assistance Plus pck
M Sport pck
M Sport 2 pck
Parking Assistance pck
Executive pck

When purchasing the car, I was assured that it comes with a Remote Start function. I always always warm up my cars before a drive so this is very important to me.
When I took my car home, I went through all the settings and setup process and there seems to be no Remote Start in sight.

It does have Ventilation option through the myBMW app but that doesn't start the engine.
I tried the 3 clicks on the Lock button, and nothing.

I also looked in the iDrive settings for the activation of the Remote Start, and nothing.
I'm going back to the dealership to try to figure it out and want to know if that feature is part of any if the packages or did it have to be ordered separately back then.

Thanks for your input in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:06 AM   #2
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
there is also an option you have to check off in the idrive.

at least following the instructions in this video worked for me.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:27 AM   #3
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
there is also an option you have to check off in the idrive.

at least following the instructions in this video worked for me.

Thank you, but I did this and I don't have that option there. Just to plan/start Ventilation 😔
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 07:22 AM   #4
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Can you do a remote start from the MyBMW app?

Just an FYI, and I do realize the car is new(ish), but a CEL Check Engine Light will not allow a remote start.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #5
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 B58 View Post
Can you do a remote start from the MyBMW app?

Just an FYI, and I do realize the car is new(ish), but a CEL Check Engine Light will not allow a remote start.
Only Ventilation available on myBMW app. And No CEL at all.
Car drives like new imo. Got it 4 days ago at 8k miles.
Appreciate 1
G30 B581555.00
      01-09-2023, 07:43 AM   #6
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

I know there are aftermarket options but I don't want a separate key for remote start. Also if something was to go wrong, I'm sure the service center will blame it on aftermarket remote start. I have unlimited miles coverage till end of 2024 so I'm being very cautious on what modifications I'm doing.
Appreciate 1
G30 B581555.00
      01-09-2023, 09:09 AM   #7
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

On a current build, Exec Package or even the lower Premium Package will get you remote start.

Do you have the Monroney sticker or run your VIN through a decoder to see if it's on the build? Someone smarter than me will chime in I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 09:22 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

So if you go into iDrive and select PRECONDITIONING/VENTILATION...then press down on the iDrive control knob...you don't see the next screen that prompts for REMOTE ENGINE START?

If not, then perhaps go back to the person that assured you that the car was optioned with remote start. Maybe they can show you how to activate this feature.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:00 AM   #9
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
So if you go into iDrive and select PRECONDITIONING/VENTILATION...then press down on the iDrive control knob...you don't see the next screen that prompts for REMOTE ENGINE START?

If not, then perhaps go back to the person that assured you that the car was optioned with remote start. Maybe they can show you how to activate this feature.
Nope 😔 This is all I get as options
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:06 AM   #10
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 B58 View Post
On a current build, Exec Package or even the lower Premium Package will get you remote start.
Do you have the Monroney sticker or run your VIN through a decoder to see if it's on the build? Someone smarter than me will chime in I'm sure.

I don't have the detailed factory sticker but this is my VIN (removed for privacy.)
I've looked it up a few times but it just says Executive pckg with no break down on what's in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:53 AM   #11
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
for the newer models, it is a paid subscription. the icon you see on the mybmw app should be a bit different if you dont have the subscription.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #12
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
for the newer models, it is a paid subscription. the icon you see on the mybmw app should be a bit different if you dont have the subscription.
I checked there too. I only have the Ventilation option. I looked around to upgrade the features but have no such option. Also with the CPO they give you all the perks as if you were to buy it new so that could explain the lack of possible upgrade.
I'm beginning to think that the car never came with Remote Start. And truly, it's possible with all the shortages due to covid.
Maybe they didn't have the part and shipped without it cause it's hard to believe that the Executive pck won't include that common feature.
I'm still hopeful and will go to my dealership and see what they say.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 11:17 AM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Remote Start isn’t available until the LCI MY2021+. So this isn’t available for the OP’s car.
Appreciate 3
      01-09-2023, 01:31 PM   #14
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Remote Start isn’t available until the LCI MY2021+. So this isn’t available for the OP’s car.
Oh wow. Hope you are wrong lol
Thanks though, thanks to all who are trying to help 🙏
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:39 PM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ah...sorry to hear this...especially when it was an option that was specifically asked about.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 03:17 PM   #16
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Ah...sorry to hear this...especially when it was an option that was specifically asked about.
The weird thing was, the sales guy was just setting me up with the myBMW app and I asked for the remote start function. We looked in the app and there was just Vetilation.
So he said - oh, it must be just with the key and not an app function. So he started clicking with the key and the car just kept locking but not starting.
Literally, at that time they called me in the finance office to finish and sign the docs. The sales guy said not to worry and when I come back for my "class" with him for the setup, he will set it up for me.
I'm above average tech-savvy and had no issues setting up everything on the car that night when I got home. Just the damn Remote Start wouldn't work in any way I tried no matter how much I researched and followed what people did.

Tbh, the lack of the function is not a deal breaker because the car is has more of everything else i wanted, just wish I knew.. and also, I'm afraid to install an aftermarket one cause it will void my warranty that I have till end of 2024. The worst case scenario for me is that I have to wait that long before I install one. It's just a great inconvenience especially now in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 03:19 PM   #17
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
True statement.
      01-09-2023, 06:31 PM   #18
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

I have a 2020. As stated, remote start was a feature starting with the '21 model years.

Welcome to MY2020 where half implemented systems and broken promises rule the day.
      01-09-2023, 08:21 PM   #19
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
I have a 2020. As stated, remote start was a feature starting with the '21 model years.

Welcome to MY2020 where half implemented systems and broken promises rule the day.
You sound kind of disappointed 😞 I hope it takes awhile for me to get there lol
I really like the car just makes zero sense why it would lack a really basic feature. Go figure..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:54 PM   #20
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_GT View Post
Oh wow. Hope you are wrong lol
Thanks though, thanks to all who are trying to help ��
Sadly, I'm not.

For me, on the 530e it wasn't an issue that it was missing as the 530e never gets Remote Start pre-LCI or post-LCI as it has "preconditioning" instead. Which runs off the HV battery, but has limitations (chiefly that it can never start the engine so if you aren't plugged in or have some charge you can't activate the function).

You can add this functionality aftermarket though. Many on the forum have and you can search to see what people's experiences have been with various options.

Quote:
You sound kind of disappointed �� I hope it takes awhile for me to get there lol
I really like the car just makes zero sense why it would lack a really basic feature. Go figure..
It probably will. The "old timers" (as I'm calling those of us who got MY2020 cars when they were fresh) weren't fully informed of what's missing so we are a bit upset about it. For most, it isn't going to be as big a deal as they'll be less bitter about it...

That being said, the biggest feature I was upset we're missing, Remote Software Updates, proved to be a non-issue. BMW has already moved on from iDrive 7 to iDrive 8, 8.5, and 9. So the RSUs that have been released for LCI cars have been pretty lack luster TBH.

If you haven't already, you may want to find a good TSB to use to convince the dealer to update your car's software to the latest. Which will get you features like Android Auto, slightly improved map functionality, Spotify, and other features depending on what update your car currently is on. I'd imagine few people outside of us who know have sought upgrades so I'd wager few cars have any updates installed. Although the MY2020 gets all the iDrive upgrades as other iDrive 7 cars those updates can only be installed by the dealership and they'll want to charge unless you can show them a "defect" to get BMWNA to pay under warranty. That's where the TSB comes into play.

I've shared a few other the years in my post history. When I have more time I'll post one if you can't find one.

Speaking of TSBs, if you car is an early MY2020, like mine was, you'll be lacking the "hotel switch" in the glovebox to allow you to disable the ability to open the trunk from the key and inside the car that is standard on pre-LCI (MY2020 and older) cars. Since BMW forgot that MY2020 isn't the LCI... Anyway, if you lack that you'll need to give the dealership the TSB so they can install it for free before the car's warranty runs out.

Oh, and welcome to the club

Last edited by LogicalApex; 01-09-2023 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2023, 09:01 AM   #21
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sadly, I'm not.

For me, on the 530e it wasn't an issue that it was missing as the 530e never gets Remote Start pre-LCI or post-LCI as it has "preconditioning" instead. Which runs off the HV battery, but has limitations (chiefly that it can never start the engine so if you aren't plugged in or have some charge you can't activate the function).

You can add this functionality aftermarket though. Many on the forum have and you can search to see what people's experiences have been with various options.

It probably will. The "old timers" (as I'm calling those of us who got MY2020 cars when they were fresh) weren't fully informed of what's missing so we are a bit upset about it. For most, it isn't going to be as big a deal as they'll be less bitter about it...

That being said, the biggest feature I was upset we're missing, Remote Software Updates, proved to be a non-issue. BMW has already moved on from iDrive 7 to iDrive 8, 8.5, and 9. So the RSUs that have been released for LCI cars have been pretty lack luster TBH.

If you haven't already, you may want to find a good TSB to use to convince the dealer to update your car's software to the latest. Which will get you features like Android Auto, slightly improved map functionality, Spotify, and other features depending on what update your car currently is on. I'd imagine few people outside of us who know have sought upgrades so I'd wager few cars have any updates installed. Although the MY2020 gets all the iDrive upgrades as other iDrive 7 cars those updates can only be installed by the dealership and they'll want to charge unless you can show them a "defect" to get BMWNA to pay under warranty. That's where the TSB comes into play.

I've shared a few other the years in my post history. When I have more time I'll post one if you can't find one.

Speaking of TSBs, if you car is an early MY2020, like mine was, you'll be lacking the "hotel switch" in the glovebox to allow you to disable the ability to open the trunk from the key and inside the car that is standard on pre-LCI (MY2020 and older) cars. Since BMW forgot that MY2020 isn't the LCI... Anyway, if you lack that you'll need to give the dealership the TSB so they can install it for free before the car's warranty runs out.

Oh, and welcome to the club
I've been researching options for remote start and found 2 great alternatives, one by bimmertech and one by eurostart.
The issue is that any modification of the sort, will more than likely void my factory warranty that I have till end of 2024 cause the vehicle is CPO.

On that note, with CPO, they seem to have updated the system to the latest at the time of purchase. I do have Apple Play and Android Auto fully functioning.
I'm an Android user but was never a fan of Android Auto. I understand the idea of safety by having a wireless charger paired with AA option but I so dislike the limitations they impose on you. Idk, maybe I never gave it enough time to get used to it.

Build date for my car is Nov 5th, 2019 according to mdecoder and has no hotel switch. That imo should be as standard feature as the wheels on the car lol

Thanks for the welcome 🙏 I'm enjoying my ride and hope that it will remain dependable for a while. I'm a previous Honda user and even though I'm not expecting the same dependability and low cost for upkeep, I try to be gentle to my cars and expect the same back 😄
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 10:05 AM   #22
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I've been researching options for remote start and found 2 great alternatives, one by bimmertech and one by eurostart.
The issue is that any modification of the sort, will more than likely void my factory warranty that I have till end of 2024 cause the vehicle is CPO.

On that note, with CPO, they seem to have updated the system to the latest at the time of purchase. I do have Apple Play and Android Auto fully functioning.
I'm an Android user but was never a fan of Android Auto. I understand the idea of safety by having a wireless charger paired with AA option but I so dislike the limitations they impose on you. Idk, maybe I never gave it enough time to get used to it.

Build date for my car is Nov 5th, 2019 according to mdecoder and has no hotel switch. That imo should be as standard feature as the wheels on the car lol

Thanks for the welcome 🙏 I'm enjoying my ride and hope that it will remain dependable for a while. I'm a previous Honda user and even though I'm not expecting the same dependability and low cost for upkeep, I try to be gentle to my cars and expect the same back 😄
Give the dealership service department this TSB to get them to add the hotel switch that should be there.

It was missed because BMW is just as confused about what MY2020 cars are as the rest of us… They removed the hotel switch on the first half of MY2020 production since iDrive 7 cars don’t need it (the switch is moved to iDrive in software). But since MY2020 isn’t a “full” iDrive 7 car it actually needed the switch still!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...75283-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0