BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Best way to gain weight?

10-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #45
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE93 View Post
Well in that case.... im 27 years old, 6ft tall and 128lbs. This coming weekend I'm going to do some grocery shopping and try harder at working out. I work night shift, usually 10hr shifts but sometimes 12. The last thing I want to do when I get home is work out.
No need to be embarrassed, we all start somewhere! Find a healthy regimen, figure out where your calories need to be in order to gain, then get after it. I noticed you mentioned that you work night shift. Gaining is due to three aspects - Proper regimen, proper diet, and adequate sleep. From the hours you work, you want to ensure you are getting at least 6-7hrs of sleep. I work similar hours, but during the day. I feel the same when I finish work though, not a whole lot of motivation to go work out. Solution - hit the gym prior to heading to work.

Good luck in your endeavors, feel free to ask on here for tips. Seems like we have a lot of guys with a solid bit of years under their belt in the gym!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #46
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
I appreciate all the insight guys. As soon as I get paid this Friday I'll be hitting the grocery store so I can start to properly diet. Sleep has been hard during the day, I usually get about 4-6 hours but taking melatonin has been helping.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #47
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE93 View Post
I appreciate all the insight guys. As soon as I get paid this Friday I'll be hitting the grocery store so I can start to properly diet. Sleep has been hard during the day, I usually get about 4-6 hours but taking melatonin has been helping.
That's going to be your biggest challenge, IMO.

You need adequate rest for your body to properly recover.

Any chance of rotating off nights anytime soon?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #48
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_E84 View Post
That's going to be your biggest challenge, IMO.

You need adequate rest for your body to properly recover.

Any chance of rotating off nights anytime soon?
I've been told March ill be back to normal hours (5am-3:30pm). But maybe ill get lucky and it get it sooner, these hours kill me. When I worked day shift I had energy and was productive on my off time, now I never want to do anything lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #49
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

I just stare at my wife and I gain weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #50
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

For those of you who suggested the higher weight lower rep - something i really enjoy and have done in the past - how long do you spend in the gym and how many days per week are you training?

(technically i'm also doing every other day - with maybe a short hiit for 10-15 mins to break a sweat on my off days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #51
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
For those of you who suggested the higher weight lower rep - something i really enjoy and have done in the past - how long do you spend in the gym and how many days per week are you training?

(technically i'm also doing every other day - with maybe a short hiit for 10-15 mins to break a sweat on my off days).
I'll start with saying that everyone is different and not everything applies to a single person. When gaining rest is essential. With that said, I've never been one to really enjoy an off day, hence why I have a regimen that keeps me in the gym 6 days a week without overworking muscle groups. Main point: ensure you are not overworking yourself, if a muscle group is sore and you plan to work it that day then skip it.

My avg week is 6 days in the gym, about 1.25-1.5hrs a day. When going heavy or trying to gain I reduce my cardio and increase rest in between sets. Time in the gym doesn't necessarily change due to that.

Difficult to put into words through typing, but you need to listen to your body.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #52
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That makes sense. I'm just so accustomed to back/bi's | chest/tri's | legs that with the longer wait time, my gym session today was 2 hours. Which is how I always used to workout in my early 20's with extra time.

Guess I'm going to need to start going more and doing 1 body part. I just really prefer the split routines push/pull.

BTW, I broke 200 lbs today. It's funny I don't think I look any bigger, but the weight is definitely going on now. I'm also kind impressed how much more weight I can lift lowering the reps.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #53
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:

Most of the strength programs I've seen have 4 lifting days, essentially.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #54
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That makes sense. I'm just so accustomed to back/bi's | chest/tri's | legs that with the longer wait time, my gym session today was 2 hours. Which is how I always used to workout in my early 20's with extra time.

Guess I'm going to need to start going more and doing 1 body part. I just really prefer the split routines push/pull.

BTW, I broke 200 lbs today. It's funny I don't think I look any bigger, but the weight is definitely going on now. I'm also kind impressed how much more weight I can lift lowering the reps.
Nice man! That is solid progress, fairly quickly as well. The only days I focus on solely one muscle is chest day and leg day. I hit legs twice a week in order to ensure my upper body is rested enough.

Typical split:
-Back/triceps
-Shoulders/biceps
-Legs
-Chest
-Arms
-Legs
-Repeat

I'm a big fan of super sets, even if I am working a single muscle group. For instance, lifted chest this morning - first super set was incline bench press followed by Svend Presses. So essentially a routine press followed by something to pump blood into my chest. Do very similar super sets with leg day, like squats super setted with sissy squats, again routine press and something to pump blood.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:52 AM   #55
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

i need to get on those sissy squats - do you use the Smith machine or a designated sissy squat machine/stand whatever that is.

like this?

And legs twice a week - i need to get back to that - good call.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #56
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i need to get on those sissy squats - do you use the Smith machine or a designated sissy squat machine/stand whatever that is.

like this?

And legs twice a week - i need to get back to that - good call.
Designated sissy squat stand, luckily my gym has one, first gym I've ever been to that has it. One of my favorite leg exercises. Essentially feels like seated leg extensions when done properly (quad focused). Usually I'll just hold a 45lb plate when I do them, not going for high weight rather a mean pump. I enjoy legs twice a week, and like I mentioned it gives my upper body time to rest. Usually 1 leg day is heavy, where the other is more flexibility/tone oriented. This is because my legs are sometimes still sore come leg day 2 haha.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #57
Peppe89
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

You could have an elevated estrogen level if your testosterone is converted by 5- alpha reductase into estrogen. This may happen when you use testosterone corrective therapy https://jbhnews.com/anavar-dosage-co...t-guide/29854/. I wouldn’t worry about it much because a higher estradiol level helps men to think and talk better. Indeed, this is why women often think and talk better than men!

Last edited by Peppe89; 05-31-2022 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #58
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

JP10 Yo - that PB tip has been working out great. Added it to a post run smoothie the other night, along with a few ice cubes, banana, pumpkin, pumpkin spice, protein powder, and it was great for recovery and keeping the gains on.

I've decided I have to get back to running once a week, and add some cycling. I know that's counterintuitive to gaining weight, but because of my body type, I think it'll actually make me stronger, thus increasing my overall weightlifting goals. My squat felt great today, as did my overhead press and deadlift.

Also finding that more core training is essential for my increase in squats, so have added more weighted situps.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      11-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #59
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JP10 Yo - that PB tip has been working out great. Added it to a post run smoothie the other night, along with a few ice cubes, banana, pumpkin, pumpkin spice, protein powder, and it was great for recovery and keeping the gains on.

I've decided I have to get back to running once a week, and add some cycling. I know that's counterintuitive to gaining weight, but because of my body type, I think it'll actually make me stronger, thus increasing my overall weightlifting goals. My squat felt great today, as did my overhead press and deadlift.

Also finding that more core training is essential for my increase in squats, so have added more weighted situps.
Haha I'm tellin ya man PB is key! Easy to eat or mix and has great base of calories for gaining (high fats & decent protein). Feel like it is a deliberately ignored addiction of mine lol.

Running can be quite beneficial to gains, but it is the type of running. As long as you aren't out there running marathons then it really isn't detrimental. I enjoy a long run once a week and I might run 3-4 times a week. I feel like I should clarify that a long run for myself is about 5 miles, past that I usually am either bored or gassed. The other 2-3 times per week are more so dedicated to shorter (2miles) more fast paced runs. So rather then trying to maintain HR, I'm trying to push myself both cardiovascularly & physically. There are actually studies that high endurance running/cycling can lead to decreased testosterone due to increased cortisol levels. Long story short, running is fine, I'd just reduce the distance/time and increase pace. Side note, feel free to do sprints as well especially if you have a nice hill near by, they are great for increasing strength.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #60
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Back in my college lax days that's what i did - sprint the straight aways - jog the turns - around track. I'd like to get back to sprints.

Definitely don't want to be dealing with increased cortisol decreased T levels, that makes a lot of sense i appreciate the heads up.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #61
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

The challenge of losing weight is simply changing your life style in regards what you eat and how much.

Most people fail because of the word DIET. They are not sustainable. You must educate your self on how to actually track calories, eat whole foods and exercise regularly.

99.9% of people are not disciplined enough to on weighing and measuring the whole foods you eat. People skip and have no clue how many calories they are actually intaking. Let's face it people cheat and they don't even realize or if they do they kid themselves.

Goal #1 is to figure out your daily caloric intake to sustain your current weight based upon your typical daily activity. From there simply reduce it by 100 calories or so and weigh yourself after a week and reassess.

Goal#2 is to NOT focus on Cardio but to establish a proven weight lifting program. Why? Building muscle as we continue this journey is an absolute if we want to stay healthier longer. When we get older we lose muscle mass and our metabolism slows down hence we put on more fat as we age.

Goal#3 is to be patient!! It's a marathon not a sprint. Stay the course and reassess if necessary as we continue with the calorice intake.

If you want to gain weight = Eat above your daily caloric intake above your current weight. Easy to put on weight but much more difficult to lose weight imo. Once you get older you will find this out. So move more and eat less.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #62
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

As someone has already pointed out, working out is the easy part, eating is the hard part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
Easy to put on weight but much more difficult to lose weight imo. Once you get older you will find this out. So move more and eat less.
No?

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #63
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

@JP10

What's a brand you like that i don't have in my collection

Weight gainer protein came today - added oats, banana, ice, gainer, PB and would have added pumpkin but ran out so added pumpkin spice for a post workout shake.
Attached Images

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      11-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #64
SemSav
Just a crazy man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
@JP10

What's a brand you like that i don't have in my collection

Weight gainer protein came today - added oats, banana, ice, gainer, PB and would have added pumpkin but ran out so added pumpkin spice for a post workout shake.
F*ck now I want all of them, this photo makes me hungry
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #65
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Lmao, I'm a cheapskate I buy the cheapest PB there in the largest container I can get my hands on. Usually get a small one in a week. Like I said I'm addicted, but my supply is light at the moment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #66
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Would drinking meal replacement drink throughout the day (and still eating my regular meals) help to gain weight?
Appreciate 0