BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Overhead Ticking Noise

11-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Overhead Ticking Noise

Hoping someone can help me diagnose/fix this rattle. I'd really like to avoid going to the dealership and playing the "Cannot Reproduce" game.

I seem to have an intermittent ticking noise from above my head that happens over certain bumps. It is rather unpredictable, and sometimes it can happen on a very small bump. It happens even if the sunroof is fully open so I don't think it's the sunroof seals (which I've already applied conditioner to). I've also ensured that it is not the infamous passenger seatbelt buckle

It seems to be coming from the headliner area right above my head, but I've learned not to trust my ears when it comes to pinpointing rattles. It's not a very loud noise, but enough to annoy me.

If you have any ideas on what else I can look at, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Could it be the door seals?
More of a creaking noise than a tick though

If you wind down the window a couple of millimetres does it go away?

If so put gummifledge on the rubber seals
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
Texox
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

It could be the sunroof seal. I read that there were issues with it when the new model came out (17-18+). Not sure if these issues are still occurring with the current LCI.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Could it be the door seals?
More of a creaking noise than a tick though

If you wind down the window a couple of millimetres does it go away?

If so put gummifledge on the rubber seals
Thanks I'll try that.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texox View Post
It could be the sunroof seal. I read that there were issues with it when the new model came out (17-18+). Not sure if these issues are still occurring with the current LCI.
Could it be the sunroof seal if it still happens with the sunroof glass open?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
shane52386
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 530i RWD

Over head creaking

Hi guys!

Like turbobeagle mentioned, I have been noticing a creaking sound coming from my roof area while driving too.

Initially I thought the frame of the car was twisting while the car was driven over uneven road surfaces. (I tend to think the absurd thoughts first then work my way towards the sane and possible)

I see AP and Texox mentioned, it could be the seals around the sunroof or the doors.

Was just going to deal with it, but the factory warranty is up in April of 2021. I'll have the dealer take a look. Hopefully I won't have to go through the "Cannot Reproduce" game turbobeagle

Thanks
JSW

Last edited by shane52386; 11-24-2020 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

If door seals , just lowering the windows a couple of millimetres will confirm if it's these. Had this issue on my e39 and f10 and as soon I as got my g30 I proactively applied gummifledge to the door seals although I had never actually encountered the issue and 3 years later still not seen

If turns out to be that ensure you don't wax the paintwork where it meets the rubber and have heard the use of silicon is not a good idea as issue can reoccur again

As others said it might be the sunroof though
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #8
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane52386 View Post
Hi guys!

Like turbobeagle mentioned, I have been noticing a creaking sound coming from my roof area while driving too.

Initially I thought the frame of the car was twisting while the car was driven over uneven road surfaces. (I tend to think the absurd thoughts first then work my way towards the sane and possible)

I see AP and Texox mentioned, it could be the seals around the sunroof or the doors.

Was just going to deal with it, but the factory warranty is up in April of 2021. I'll have the dealer take a look. Hopefully I won't have to go through the "Cannot Reproduce" game turbobeagle

Thanks
JSW
Please post back here if the dealer gives you any useful info. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0