BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding G30 Back-up Assistant

06-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive

G30 Back-up Assistant

Anyone got the Back-up Assistant working on their USA G30 yet?

My USA MY2020 G30 has:

5DN Parking Assistant Plus
ZX1 Active Park Distance Control
ZX3 Surround View w/ 3D View

and the function "Back-up Assistant" is mentioned in my owner's manual on page 224.

I FDL enabled,
ACSM5 3300 PKM
rfa : aktiv
Comment = Indicates whether a reversing assistant is installed

HU_MGU 300B PARKEN
MACRO_RFA : aktiv
Comment = This flag describes whether the function RFA (reversing assistant) is available

I get the checkbox in the Parking Assistant menu when I code the above functions but I cannot select it. Any ideas on how to complete this code? I did not find any readily recognizable/related functions in other ECUs. I am aware when a checkbox is available but cannot be ticked then other functions were not coded in other ECUs. I have verified boolean is TRUE for above.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I wonder if the AA update next month will add any room in this area.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I wonder if the AA update next month will add any room in this area.
Please forgive my ignorance, AA update? Can you humor this noob and tell me what that is?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoul View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, AA update? Can you humor this noob and tell me what that is?
Android Auto.

There is an update coming for iDrive 7 cars to add Android Auto support and possibly CarPlay HUD support as well. BMW has mentioned in various places that existing cars will see an update, but no one knows if the MY2020 G30 will get it or not since Remote Software Updates aren't supported on the car.

It is suggested that this car will get Android Auto and Remote Software Update at the same time with this update. And it may offer other features or nothing at all. But it may open more doors for coding.

But the update may not come so it is just a bit of wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Android Auto.

There is an update coming for iDrive 7 cars to add Android Auto support and possibly CarPlay HUD support as well. BMW has mentioned in various places that existing cars will see an update, but no one knows if the MY2020 G30 will get it or not since Remote Software Updates aren't supported on the car.

It is suggested that this car will get Android Auto and Remote Software Update at the same time with this update. And it may offer other features or nothing at all. But it may open more doors for coding.

Thank you, that is valuable info I did not know about. I was sure the wireless version of AA (no USB cord) requires a hardware module which I don't think my car has. I already have wireless Apple CarPlay and it works great with my iPhone 8s. I also have a Samsung note 5 which will do screen mirroring very well but the speed locks kills it the second I roll out.

Update, I am reversing myself, I have iDrive 7 with Live Cockpit Professional so according to what I read just now, my car has the necessary hardware for AA. Hopefully the update will be available for my car and the update also includes Assisted Driving View, ability to turn ON/Off Automatic Lane Change in Settings (already coded and loving it on long drives) and finally the Back-up Assistant. I won't hold my breath for Easy Entry/Exit for us big guys. Even my wife's Honda does that all day long

Last edited by Bandoul; 06-29-2020 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoul View Post
Android Auto.

I know you're hopeful, and I'd be thrilled if BMW backported RSU and AA to MY20 G30, but where did you read either are coming? AA is a possibility through an iStep upgrade (or coding after the iStep upgrade), but where did you read RSU was coming to MY20 G30?

As I mentioned previously, I've been told that MY20 doesn't support the TLS certificate chain, through the modules RSU can communicate with. That is supposedly happening starting MY21.
      06-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I know you're hopeful, and I'd be thrilled if BMW backported RSU and AA to MY20 G30, but where did you read either are coming? AA is a possibility through an iStep upgrade (or coding after the iStep upgrade), but where did you read RSU was coming to MY20 G30?

As I mentioned previously, I've been told that MY20 doesn't support the TLS certificate chain, through the modules RSU can communicate with. That is supposedly happening starting MY21.
I don’t have any inside information so I am just seeing where it goes. A member on the other forum posted that they had inside information that it would arrive and members here have posted the opposite.

The TLS Chain doesn’t make immediate sense to me though. As a software engineer it would make sense to me for BMW to include their TLS certificates in their firmware. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have any way to update certificates if needed in the future (for instance, say the certificate private key were hacked and a hacker could push malicious OTA updates out to cars). It is possible they added them in a way that would prevent it for that reason though. Since I can’t see their code I can’t confirm either way.

Of course, it is possible AA gets added and nothing else (like Spotify was added with the November update but not RSU) and it is possible they add it alongside RSU.

I am mildly skeptical that they added iDrive 7 to the MY2020 with no intention of updating it. As that would make the car harder to service going forward with little to gain for them (meaning it would have been cheaper to leave it on iDrive 6 until the LCI). Features like online traffic and Personal Assistant will be hard to maintain if the MY2020 G30 has a static version compared to all other cars.

But we shall see which way the chip lands.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have any inside information so I am just seeing where it goes. A member on the other forum posted that they had inside information that it would arrive and members here have posted the opposite.

The TLS Chain doesn't make immediate sense to me though. As a software engineer it would make sense to me for BMW to include their TLS certificates in their firmware. Otherwise, they wouldn't have any way to update certificates if needed in the future (for instance, say the certificate private key were hacked and a hacker could push malicious OTA updates out to cars). It is possible they added them in a way that would prevent it for that reason though. Since I can't see their code I can't confirm either way.

Of course, it is possible AA gets added and nothing else (like Spotify was added with the November update but not RSU) and it is possible they add it alongside RSU.

I am mildly skeptical that they added iDrive 7 to the MY2020 with no intention of updating it. As that would make the car harder to service going forward with little to gain for them (meaning it would have been cheaper to leave it on iDrive 6 until the LCI). Features like online traffic and Personal Assistant will be hard to maintain if the MY2020 G30 has a static version compared to all other cars.

I won't claim to know details, because I don't. However, the modules need to be linked together In a chain of trust. I'm told the MY20 cars, some modules do not support the certificate software and encrypted handshaking, to allow the modules to be connected to iDrive7 without fear of malicious code injection. That said, we shall see. Maybe an iStep upgrade can change that. I say unlikely mostly out of experience, which is that BMW won't bother with existing / outgoing models. They are forward thinking.

BMW added iDrive7 to the MY20 G30 mostly because Audi released a new MMI system (I'm unimpressed) and Mercedes had their newish Comand system (I'm also unimpressed). IDrive7 lite in the MY20 G30 and G03, etc. was a bandaid.

I'm pulling for you and previous gen cars to receive meaningful upgrades. If so, that means BMW is paying attention to the Tesla software model.
      06-29-2020, 09:33 PM   #9
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

My dealer, in Salem Oregon, said there will be an update for android, RSU, and remote start next month. Initially, the dealer will have to install the update. I hope this helps.

For vehicles is I drive seven, only.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I won't claim to know details, because I don't. However, the modules need to be linked together In a chain of trust. I'm told the MY20 cars, some modules do not support the certificate software and encrypted handshaking, to allow the modules to be connected to iDrive7 without fear of malicious code injection. That said, we shall see. Maybe an iStep upgrade can change that. I say unlikely mostly out of experience, which is that BMW won't bother with existing / outgoing models. They are forward thinking.

BMW added iDrive7 to the MY20 G30 mostly because Audi released a new MMI system (I'm unimpressed) and Mercedes had their newish Comand system (I'm also unimpressed). IDrive7 lite in the MY20 G30 and G03, etc. was a bandaid.

I'm pulling for you and previous gen cars to receive meaningful upgrades. If so, that means BMW is paying attention to the Tesla software model.
That doesn't make sense to me though...

There is nothing about Remote Software Updates that would say BMW has to be capable of updates every component in the car or none at all. They could limit the updates on the "lite" version to just covering the systems of iDrive 7 that they can update (like the Personal Assistant or something).

I do think you're right that competitive pressure pushed them to update it early or they really wanted to get their platform in a unified place ASAP. But my opinion is the MY2020 was given iDrive 7 "lite" to not take all of the gas from the LCI. If they didn't force hold back iDrive 7 features to say they started with the LCI they wouldn't have anything to announce!

I think that's why we may see an update. There is no risk of stealing the LCI thunder now.

But we shall see. I am annoyed that RSU is missing since BMW didn't make that clear until after I took delivery, but yeah...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:28 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That doesn't make sense to me though...

There is nothing about Remote Software Updates that would say BMW has to be capable of updates every component in the car or none at all. They could limit the updates on the "lite" version to just covering the systems of iDrive 7 that they can update (like the Personal Assistant or something).

I do think you're right that competitive pressure pushed them to update it early or they really wanted to get their platform in a unified place ASAP. But my opinion is the MY2020 was given iDrive 7 "lite" to not take all of the gas from the LCI. If they didn't force hold back iDrive 7 features to say they started with the LCI they wouldn't have anything to announce!

I think that's why we may see an update. There is no risk of stealing the LCI thunder now.

But we shall see. I am annoyed that RSU is missing since BMW didn't make that clear until after I took delivery, but yeah...
There are many modules (computers) in these cars that are all interconnected. IDrive 7 being just one. Updating software on one (whether it be bug fixes, new features, etc) often has impact on the code running on other modules. This is why all the modules in the chain need to have the ability to be reprogrammed as part of a RSU.

BMW doesn't have enough software engineering resources to do a custom version for iDrive 7 lite cars which avoids needing code updates for connected modules. It's just too risky and a non win for them.

And if you don't think BMW would "simply" upgrade to iDrive 7 for marketing reasons, well, you aren't understanding fiercely competitive marketplaces.
      06-29-2020, 11:04 PM   #12
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
There are many modules (computers) in these cars that are all interconnected. IDrive 7 being just one. Updating software on one (whether it be bug fixes, new features, etc) often has impact on the code running on other modules. This is why all the modules in the chain need to have the ability to be reprogrammed as part of a RSU.

BMW doesn't have enough software engineering resources to do a custom version for iDrive 7 lite cars which avoids needing code updates for connected modules. It's just too risky and a non win for them.

And if you don't think BMW would "simply" upgrade to iDrive 7 for marketing reasons, well, you aren't understanding fiercely competitive marketplaces.
I agree marketing pressure can force them to move quickly. My point is more that putting the car on iDrive 7 with no room for frequent updates will make it harder to maintain the car going forward.

For instance, the car has BMW Live Maps which are Here HD Live maps which is a cloud based mapping product that aggregates RTTI (and other data) from a variety of car makers to deliver very accurate RTTI that is updated every minute or so. BMW marketed this as “Cloud Maps” I think on the LCI. This would be a liability for them if they had to discontinue RTTI, for instance, in a year due to updates by Here for the service when other cars could be updated via an RSU. Then this extends to Personal Assistant.

Whereas it would have been much easier on iDrive 6 which lacks these service hooks and liability.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:49 AM   #13
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

To the OP: No, it will not work on the pre-lci. I also have a 2020 and tried the same codes, it also came up in iDrive but cannot be selected.

The reason for this is because BMW gave the 2020 the Live Cockpit Pro and MGU headunit with iDrive 7, but did not update any other modules, such as the SAS, cameras, BDC, etc. until the LCI. Therefore, we can see the coding for all those features in the Kombi and HU_MGU, but changing them does nothing since the corresponding updated modules are not present. So unless you go back and physically retrofit the updated modules once LCI comes out, then all of the new features like DA Pro, Backup Assistant, and having the Live view in the center of the cluster, will not work.
Appreciate 1
claykin1587.50
      06-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #14
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
To the OP: No, it will not work on the pre-lci. I also have a 2020 and tried the same codes, it also came up in iDrive but cannot be selected.

The reason for this is because BMW gave the 2020 the Live Cockpit Pro and MGU headunit with iDrive 7, but did not update any other modules, such as the SAS, cameras, BDC, etc. until the LCI. Therefore, we can see the coding for all those features in the Kombi and HU_MGU, but changing them does nothing since the corresponding updated modules are not present. So unless you go back and physically retrofit the updated modules once LCI comes out, then all of the new features like DA Pro, Backup Assistant, and having the Live view in the center of the cluster, will not work.
Bummer! I hope and pray you are wrong. The M550i with all the added packages is a very pricey proposition and having an end result that is a lame duck bested by a 3 series is a very stupid BMW marketing strategy. I believe I have all the cameras and radars that can be had because I have the Driving Assistance Plus and the Parking Assistance packages. In my FA it clearly says [3439] 6U3_BMW_LIVE_COCKPIT_PROFESSIONAL. The only hardware I am missing short of the Driving Assistance Professional package is the driver camera system DCS, steering wheel LEDs and steering wheel mode button all used for the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant. If BMW leaves the folks who bought the top trim with all the bells and whistles in the rearview mirror then I know this will be my number 6 and last BMW. Even my wife’s 2018 Honda Accord has all the features I am whining about. But let us see what happens. If we can code Lane Change Assist that works even though there is a checkbox in HMI settings we cannot select, then I am willing to bet your assumptions are incorrect. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by Bandoul; 06-30-2020 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #15
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t have any inside information so I am just seeing where it goes. A member on the other forum posted that they had inside information that it would arrive and members here have posted the opposite.

The TLS Chain doesn’t make immediate sense to me though. As a software engineer it would make sense to me for BMW to include their TLS certificates in their firmware. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have any way to update certificates if needed in the future (for instance, say the certificate private key were hacked and a hacker could push malicious OTA updates out to cars). It is possible they added them in a way that would prevent it for that reason though. Since I can’t see their code I can’t confirm either way.

Spot on LogicalApex, I agree with you 100% and yes I know we won't know until we know. As far as the Remote Software Update, meh. I can go to my dealership and get the update for free. They know me well, they've done it before even when there was not a recall on the car I was driving. Case in point was my 2015 550i. I am a glass half full kinda guy so I am keeping a positive attitude. BTW I hate the new massive grill on the LCI, the headlight and taillights suck as well so no love lost there.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #16
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
BMW had a press showing to reiterate that a major update will arrive for iDrive 7 cars with many of the features they recently showed off for the LCI. I am leaning toward this update bringing RSU, but we shall see.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/new...ystem-7-update
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 02:25 AM   #17
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
I noticed an interesting thing on the BMW website:
https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

When I punched in the VIN of our G05 (with working OTA updates), it tells me:
"The software of your BMW will be updated automatically."

When I punched in the VIN of a 2019-20 5 series with ID7, the same message appeared:

However, with the VIN of a 2018 5 series with ID6, a different message appears:
"Congratulations, the software of your BMW is up to date. There are no actions necessary."
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #18
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_BMW View Post
I noticed an interesting thing on the BMW website:
https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

When I punched in the VIN of our G05 (with working OTA updates), it tells me:

When I punched in the VIN of a 2019-20 5 series with ID7, the same message appeared:

However, with the VIN of a 2018 5 series with ID6, a different message appears:
"Congratulations, the software of your BMW is up to date. There are no actions necessary."
Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0