BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding What is your experience with Android Auto?

09-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #1
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ix Sport Line

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
What is your experience with Android Auto?

After a long "battle" with the dealer and many so-called geniuses, I recently got updated from 11/19 to 3/21 software which gave me AA. While it works fine, when it does, it disconnected (and reconnects) by itself very often, making it impractical to use. My phone is OnePlus 7T running OxygenOS (Android 11).

Is AA working for you? What version of iDrive are you on and what phone (and what OS) are you using?
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2021, 01:25 AM   #2
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Coincidentally I also have a Oneplus 7T on Android 11. I was getting some random dropouts but it’s been better lately. The latest OS updates from Oneplus seemed to stabilize a bunch of things. One thing I did notice is that my ad blocking vpn caused some dropouts. I didn’t realize it at first, but one time after a dropout, I looked at the phone, and Android Auto showed a warning advising against vpn usage during Android Auto sessions. I’ve stopped using it entirely.

The next time you get a dropout have a look at your phone to make sure there isn’t an error message sitting there which might give you a clue as to the cause.

I’m on the Dec 2020 iDrive version I believe. 2020 540i.

Last edited by turbobeagle; 09-19-2021 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: Added a tio
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
Coincidentally I also have a Oneplus 7T on Android 11. I was getting some random dropouts but it’s been better lately. The latest OS updates from Oneplus seemed to stabilize a bunch of things. One thing I did notice is that my ad blocking vpn caused some dropouts. I didn’t realize it at first, but one time after a dropout, I looked at the phone, and Android Auto showed a warning advising against vpn usage during Android Auto sessions. I’ve stopped using it entirely.

The next time you get a dropout have a look at your phone to make sure there isn’t an error message sitting there which might give you a clue as to the cause.

I’m on the Dec 2020 iDrive version I believe. 2020 540i.
I sniffed the WiFi channels in the car and see that it has two radios using the same SSID, one for 5G and one for 2.4G. So your phone can choose which one to connect to but also switch between them if there is interference. I have a router at home that has the same functionality and I was experienced drop outs and I had to turn that option off. On your phone you can forget one of the BMW SSID thus forcing the phone not to try hopping between 5G and 2.4G. I am going to run like that and see if that helps and report back.

Correction: AA requires 5G. It will not use 2.4G.

Last edited by taskrov; 09-21-2021 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Very interesting! Band steering is mature tech, but it's a good thing to try for sure. I'm surprised BMW even bothers including 2.4ghz at this point.

Coincidentally yesterday I had a dropout. It was just as I was taking some sequence of turns in an area I had never been to before and I lost my navigation. Ended up costing me a few extra minutes of travel time. So I guess my connection is also unstable.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
Dalex33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530e

With my galaxy s21 it works pretty good! no issues unless I charge the phone or it somehow gets hot.
The whole AA system will freeze and jump, and the music will stutter immensely.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #6
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalex33 View Post
With my galaxy s21 it works pretty good! no issues unless I charge the phone or it somehow gets hot.
The whole AA system will freeze and jump, and the music will stutter immensely.

This seems to have fixed the disconnect issue on my OnePlus 7T phone:

"Follow these steps:

Enable development settings in the Android Auto app by opening the app, tapping settings, scrolling down until you see “version,” and then tapping on “version” 10 times.
Enter Development Settings.
Select “show wireless projection option.”
Check that wireless projection is activated in settings
Reboot your phone.
Follow your head unit’s instructions on connecting to it wirelessly."

comes from a g20 board post:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1736170&page=2
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskrov View Post

"Follow these steps:

Enable development settings in the Android Auto app by opening the app, tapping settings, scrolling down until you see “version,” and then tapping on “version” 10 times.
Reboot your phone.

Glad to know Android is still fun to use. I haven't used it in a decade or so, but that's an annoying amount of steps to have to go through.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:38 AM   #8
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

"Follow these steps:

Reboot your phone.

Thanks for reporting. It would be odd for this to be the fix. That setting in dev options was added so that devices on Android 10 and lower could try out wireless Android Auto. On Android 11 I believe that setting is meaningless since wireless projection is already exposed as a normal option.

I hope this resolves your disconnections, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just random luck in your last few trials.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
I will keep an eye on it and report back
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 06:25 AM   #10
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobeagle View Post
Thanks for reporting. It would be odd for this to be the fix. That setting in dev options was added so that devices on Android 10 and lower could try out wireless Android Auto. On Android 11 I believe that setting is meaningless since wireless projection is already exposed as a normal option.

I hope this resolves your disconnections, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just random luck in your last few trials.
Your were correct. The disconnects continue. The phone drops WiFi and then reconnects within one minute. It is annoying. I now recall that when I had a 2 series loaner, it did the same, so it must be the phone. Time to get an iPhone. My wife's iPhone 12 works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Are you guys referring to total disconnects or signal interference/stutter, most notable when going to the BMW interface and having AA run in the background?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #12
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your were correct. The disconnects continue. The phone drops WiFi and then reconnects within one minute. It is annoying. I now recall that when I had a 2 series loaner, it did the same, so it must be the phone. Time to get an iPhone. My wife's iPhone 12 works perfectly.
Sadly my last 3 trips had a disconnection so I am now in the same boat as you. I do agree that it is likely some kind of issue with OnePlus. I'm going to try switching back to my Pixel 2XL for a while to test. I always had a solid connection with that device.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #13
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I recently "upgraded" to the Galaxy Zfold 3 and kept having issues. Went back to my Note 20 Ultra and the issues stopped. Fairly sure that it's not only manufacturer, but specific phone model related.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #14
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
I recently "upgraded" to the Galaxy Zfold 3 and kept having issues. Went back to my Note 20 Ultra and the issues stopped. Fairly sure that it's not only manufacturer, but specific phone model related.
I continue getting disconnects. Someone on this forum suggested setting a static IP for the BMW connection helps. I cannot locate that post.

I can see what IP address gets assigned by DHCP but I cannot figure out how to configure a static connection. I can enter the IP address, but don't know what to enter for Gateway and DNS. Also, the mask field is missing.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Long time Android user here, though pretty much exclusively using Samsung Galaxy devices. I have a few suggestions to try.

The usual obvious ones....

Update OS to latest patch level

Update all apps through playstore

Now some more advanced steps....

Clear cache partition (instructions here) *be careful to only select wipe cache* if you accidentally select wipe data from this menu, you will factory reset your phone. Don't do it!

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...plus-7t-pro-5g

Clear Android Auto cache and data (I suggest clearing Android auto cache and storage data). Reset up AA again.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...-pro-5g#steps1

If none of the above works, see this thread where Oneplus seems to have acknowledged an issue with the 7t.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/a...and-5.1486270/
      11-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #16
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Long time Android user here, though pretty much exclusively using Samsung Galaxy devices. I have a few suggestions to try.

Clear cache partition (instructions here) *be careful to only select wipe cache* if you accidentally select wipe data from this menu, you will factory reset your phone. Don't do it!

Clear Android Auto cache and data (I suggest clearing Android auto cache and storage data). Reset up AA again.

If none of the above works, see this thread where Oneplus seems to have acknowledged an issue with the 7t.

Thank you for the quick reply. I have already done these steps and they made no difference. The one suggestion was to use a static IP address. What happens is the phone drops the WiFi connection (you can see that on the phone) and then reconnects as if nothing happened, happily resuming guidance. I did see some complains on the OnePlus forums but I have not seen the post where OnePlus appears to acknowledge that this might be something on their end.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the quick reply. I have already done these steps and they made no difference. The one suggestion was to use a static IP address. What happens is the phone drops the WiFi connection (you can see that on the phone) and then reconnects as if nothing happened, happily resuming guidance. I did see some complains on the OnePlus forums but I have not seen the post where OnePlus appears to acknowledge that this might be something on their end.
I doubt a static IP is going to fix the issue and I'm not even sure how to do that with iDrive 7 and your device. That said, random dropping of the wifi connection is either RF interference or more likely a bug in the driver, firmware, or IP stack Oneplus is using for your phone's wifi radio semiconductor.
      11-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #18
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I doubt a static IP is going to fix the issue and I'm not even sure how to do that with iDrive 7 and your device. That said, random dropping of the wifi connection is either RF interference or more likely a bug in the driver, firmware, or IP stack Oneplus is using for your phone's wifi radio semiconductor.
The joys of Android a million implementations and the quality of those implementations can be as varied as the sand on the beach.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 10:16 PM   #19
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
The joys of Android a million implementations and the quality of those implementations can be as varied as the sand on the beach.
Stick with Google Pixel and more recent Samsung Galaxy devices and the experience is relatively painless. I just cant stand the locked down iOS ecosystem thanks to Apple's do it our way or piss off approach to things.

I've seen enough people struggle with iPhone to know it's not the perfect platform either. The real pain point with Apple users is those who have problems but still vehemently defend the brand. <snore>
      11-02-2021, 10:32 PM   #20
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Stick with Google Pixel and more recent Samsung Galaxy devices and the experience is relatively painless. I just cant stand the locked down iOS ecosystem thanks to Apple's do it our way or piss off approach to things.

I've seen enough people struggle with iPhone to know it's not the perfect platform either. The real pain point with Apple users is those who have problems but still vehemently defend the brand. <snore>
Samsung is the de facto Android OEM. Google bring the core maker if Android I agree the two are solid choices. When I had Android a decade or so ago last it was only Google versions so I got the phone as close to reference as possible.

I am on iOS now. But am not suggesting it is a perfect platform. It is just a different platform with different priorities. Depending on how well the vin diagram of the OS priorities and yours line up will determine your satisfaction.

I was more noting the harsh reality that Android is a very complex symphony they users don’t fully appreciate when things aren’t working. Android runs on Linux so drivers are compiled into the OS kernel. Each OEM does this for their devices (it is also why patching Android is so complex for Google). So a user can have issues with hardware bugs due to poor part choice or QC by the OEM or poor drivers or more, as you noted.

The same kernel realities exist for iOS (Windows NT is the only major micro kernel I believe. Such that drivers are not in the kernel do patching Windows across is vast and varied install base is much easier. And the OS doesn’t need to be recompiled for each variation…

Obviously, in Apple’s case it doesn’t matter since iOS only runs on Apple devices where they can own the full stack. It doesn’t mean they are but free, but it does mean bugs, and their workarounds, are uniform across the population.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #21
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:

Samsung is the de facto Android OEM. Google bring the core maker if Android I agree the two are solid choices. When I had Android a decade or so ago last it was only Google versions so I got the phone as close to reference as possible.

I am on iOS now. But am not suggesting it is a perfect platform. It is just a different platform with different priorities. Depending on how well the vin diagram of the OS priorities and yours line up will determine your satisfaction.

I was more noting the harsh reality that Android is a very complex symphony they users don’t fully appreciate when things aren’t working. Android runs on Linux so drivers are compiled into the OS kernel. Each OEM does this for their devices (it is also why patching Android is so complex for Google). So a user can have issues with hardware bugs due to poor part choice or QC by the OEM or poor drivers or more, as you noted.

The same kernel realities exist for iOS (Windows NT is the only major micro kernel I believe. Such that drivers are not in the kernel do patching Windows across is vast and varied install base is much easier. And the OS doesn’t need to be recompiled for each variation…

Obviously, in Apple’s case it doesn’t matter since iOS only runs on Apple devices where they can own the full stack. It doesn’t mean they are but free, but it does mean bugs, and their workarounds, are uniform across the population.
You are correct about Android OS complexities in Android OS V1-7. Starting with Android 8 (2017) the Android OS framework was decoupled from the device makers implementation and device specific hardware drivers. This decoupling allows Google to release OS updates without the need to touch vendor specific drivers, ui changes, etc.. Of course the issues remained whether device vendors actually released the OS updates. Fortunately Samsung (finally) got on the bandwagon about 3 years ago and has been very good about releasing all Android updates released by Google.

Starting with some Android 10 and 11 devices, and from I understand all Android 12 devices (now latest), Google Project Mainline delivers Android OS updates through the Playstore, same as an app update. This allows them to bypass the device vendors and carriers and push OS patches directly to devices, regardless of carrier. Pretty slick. I've seen some of these patches come through on my Galaxy S21U while it was running Android 11 and I've seen several more patches since updating to Android 12.

However, all this is about Android, but Oneplus devices run their own flavor of Android called OxygenOS. Do they follow Google's lead with patches, updates, etc? Do they support Project Mainline? Is Oneplus using Qualcomm's reference drivers (and not screwing them up) for the radios, etc? No one really knows and Oneplus doesn't share much. But in this case, users are clearly frustrated that wireless AA doesn't work well.

This is why I suggest sticking with a Google Pixel or Samsung Android device. Or, get an iPhone. Lol
      11-05-2021, 01:20 PM   #22
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
I went to look at the Google Pixel 6 today. The Pro is too large to fit into the wireless charging tray, but the 6 fits even with the case I tried. T-Mobile with give me $450 credit for my OnePlus 7T, so this a great deal. The only question is will the Pixel with "play" the car.
Appreciate 0