BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding What Audio do I have? 530d police spec

12-24-2022, 06:42 PM   #1
EXHWP
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530D xDrive Touring

What Audio do I have? 530d police spec

I have a 2019 G31 530D xDrive Touring, that is an ex Australian police car.
I have the options list for the car, but nowhere does it mention the type of audio it has. I suspect it is a basic HiFi
I see the following options:
654 DAB Tuner
650 CD Player
825 Radio Control Oceania

What I do know is that it has ID7 with AA and CarPlay. There are no speakers in the 1/4 window area (near mirror)

The audio is fairly basic sounding, so I was looking at upgrade options packs like Bavsound.
What I cannot work out is what the audio level I have, so I can make sure I get the right speakers.
Anyone know how to tell what Audio this car has?
Appreciate 1
tuzii45.00
      12-24-2022, 06:58 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXHWP View Post
I have a 2019 G31 530D xDrive Touring, that is an ex Australian police car.
I have the options list for the car, but nowhere does it mention the type of audio it has. I suspect it is a basic HiFi
I see the following options:
654 DAB Tuner
650 CD Player
825 Radio Control Oceania

What I do know is that it has ID7 with AA and CarPlay. There are no speakers in the 1/4 window area (near mirror)

The audio is fairly basic sounding, so I was looking at upgrade options packs like Bavsound.
What I cannot work out is what the audio level I have, so I can make sure I get the right speakers.
Anyone know how to tell what Audio this car has?
That’s most likely the very basic audio system. The only other options are Harmon Kardon or B&W. The good news is that system is upgradable, but it won’t be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 01:55 AM   #3
EXHWP
Australia
Rep

Thanks, I have seen the speaker prices. I do all my own work, so retrofitting the speakers is not a problem for me.
The ,ain thing is finding the best bang for my buck as possib
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 06:02 AM   #4
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
That’s most likely the very basic audio system. The only other options are Harmon Kardon or B&W. The good news is that system is upgradable, but it won’t be cheap.
Depending on the market, there is 'hi-fi' audio upgrade in between h&k and basic stereo. In US, that is standard equipment, in europe it is an upgrade. If OP doesn't have speaker on top angle of the door, that is most basic audio that goes in g30.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 G31 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cero View Post
Depending on the market, there is 'hi-fi' audio upgrade in between h&k and basic stereo. In US, that is standard equipment, in europe it is an upgrade. If OP doesn't have speaker on top angle of the door, that is most basic audio that goes in g30.
True. In most parts of the world, except the US, there are 4 tiers of audio in the G3x. Basic, Hifi (basic in US), Harman-Kardon and Bowers and Wilkins.

If there are no tweeters in de pillars it's the lowest tier. The basic. This is also the hardest to upgrade since there is no amplifier in the trunk. The speakers are powered from the head-unit. So when adding an amp you either have to use an amplifier with high-level inputs resulting in a lower quality sound or the car has to be coded to the Hifi or HK options. Then you have, respectively, balanced low level outputs or digital MOST outputs resulting in better quality sound. In both cases wires need to be run to the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 09:35 PM   #6
tuzii
aussie member
Rep
Drives: G30 530D

mate welcome to the ex hwp car team

you have base audio there is no dedicated amp in the rear like all other options
i have upgraded mine to aliexpress H&K speakers, front and rear tweeters and speaker and the subs.

i am waiting for an amp to get delivered to get real power out of it

however, if you code the headunit to bowers&wilkins the base audio does sound better slightly. but its honestly rubbish sounding, until you change the speakers

I'm also in sydney if you want to have a listen to mine
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 09:53 AM   #7
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

I´ve had a G30 and a G31, both with Basic Audio. I upgraded both with HarmanKardon midrange and tweeters. In the rear there is room for the tweeters in the grille, in the front new trim pieces are required for the tweeters. The H/K tweeters plugs into the new H/K midrange, so it´s directly plug and play. The sound quality was improved a lot.

Found the speakers used on eBay; it was quite cheap.
      01-09-2023, 10:06 AM   #8
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I am solving the same issue - upgrading basic stereo in G31 with amp and speakers. I am not sure, though, how do I feed the amp - the only outputs available are the speaker outputs from the HU. I can code the HU to Hifi / H&K, etc but what does this mean for the output from the HU? Where do I get the pre outs? Or is the amp still fed by the same speaker outputs?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 01:11 PM   #9
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep

AFAIK when you code it to Hifi your speaker wires become balanced low level outputs that can be run directly to amplifiers that accept balanced inputs.

When you code it to HK sound wil be directed through the MOST bus and can be picked up with a MOST interface like a Helix SDMI25 for instance.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 10:59 AM   #10
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Thx, Bimmerstyle,

which is better? If I understand correctly, coding stereo to Hifi makes the existing speaker outputs a new pre amp outs?
What is the MOST bus - is this optical out (digital) vs. analogue in Hifi?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 12:15 PM   #11
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 540 View Post
What is the MOST bus - is this optical out (digital) vs. analogue in Hifi?
Yes, the MOST bus is the fiber optic bus that audio devices in the car connect to. It carries the signals digitally and eliminates a large number of copper wires.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 01:31 PM   #12
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure for sound quality MOST is better. It's digital. Keep in mind however it only outputs 2 channels of audio. So you loose the fader. Preferably you go to a DSP with this signal and create seperate signals for all speakers in the DSP.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 03:13 PM   #13
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

I see, thank you, guys. Not sure if my NotEvo HU has optical output. I will find out in the docs. So only Hifi uses analog pre-amp outs and all the rest (B&O, B&W, H&K) use optical link between the HU and the amp?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 04:14 PM   #14
tuzii
aussie member
Rep

i have by base system coded to bowers and wilkins, it sounded the best, though there's no amp.
I'm getting an audison amp installed in a few weeks and will report back how much better it will sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 11:24 AM   #15
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 540 View Post
I see, thank you, guys. Not sure if my NotEvo HU has optical output. I will find out in the docs. So only Hifi uses analog pre-amp outs and all the rest (B&O, B&W, H&K) use optical link between the HU and the amp?
Your head unit is allready connected to the MOST bus for communication with other modules and diagnosics. It just doesn't output sound yet through MOST. For that it needs to be coded. But the physical connection is allready there. You just have to tap into the MOST bus somewhere with a MOST to SPDIF adapter (like the Helix mentioned before) to get sound out of it after it's being coded.

Yes. Only Hifi has analog low level outputs. The more expensive options all use MOST.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 02:45 AM   #16
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you, Bimmerstyle.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:25 AM   #17
EXHWP
Australia
Rep

I have been enjoy car on a recent trip, but found the Audio severely lacking.
From what I can see it has a 6 speaker setup. 2 in the front doors, 2 subs under the seats and 2 in the rear cargo roof.
I was looking at getting the front door tweeters and splits as well as installing the speakers in the back doors.
Can anyone tell me if there is speaker wiring in the rear doors for cars that don’t have the speakers there?
I would like to put some in and upgrade all the speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 02:42 PM   #18
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep

No, when you have the base audio there is no wiring to the rear doors provided.

Personaly I wouldn't even bother with putting speakers in the rear doors anyway. Without a DSP they would do nothing but messing up your front stage. The only benefit they have, in cars that come with them, is providing the rear seat passengers with a little bit better front stage. When sitting in the front of the car however, they are pretty much useless.

It would be better if you put the money you save on the rear doors in the front and adding some 8" underseats to replace the 6,5" ones. This would give you a little more low end. Since those radio outputs don't have a lot of power and distort easily, ideally you would need an amplifier as well. but the installation would be a lot more difficults since you'll need to run a whole bunch of wires from the radio to the back of the car.

And again, the last thing I would do is putting speakers in the rear doors. That's just flushing money down the toilet...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 05:50 PM   #19
EXHWP
Australia
Rep

Thanks mate for the reply, you have saved me a lot of money and grief, I am glad I asked.
I gather it would be the same with the center speaker in regards to the wiring ?

I hope I don't need an amp, I am not an audiophile, nor do I need it loud. I just find the existing system flat and lacking any high and low range.
I was going to do the tweeters, and mid's in the front doors and the sub. May also do the speakers in the roof.
Appreciate all the help

Last edited by EXHWP; 01-22-2023 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 02:34 AM   #20
tuzii
aussie member
Rep

Quote:
I have been enjoy car on a recent trip, but found the Audio severely lacking.
From what I can see it has a 6 speaker setup. 2 in the front doors, 2 subs under the seats and 2 in the rear cargo roof.
I was looking at getting the front door tweeters and splits as well as installing the speakers in the back doors.
Can anyone tell me if there is speaker wiring in the rear doors for cars that don’t have the speakers there?
I would like to put some in and upgrade all the speakers
i have upgraded mine like i said to the H&K from aliexpress, I've now installed and amp and its 100% better, more bass and better sound from overall.
the process to change the speakers is really easy, i did it all in under 2 hours.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 01:19 PM   #21
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate for the reply, you have saved me a lot of money and grief, I am glad I asked.
I gather it would be the same with the center speaker in regards to the wiring ?

I hope I don't need an amp, I am not an audiophile, nor do I need it loud. I just find the existing system flat and lacking any high and low range.
I was going to do the tweeters, and mid's in the front doors and the sub. May also do the speakers in the roof.
Appreciate all the help
Yes. It is the same for the center speaker. No wiring is provided in the dash. But again, without a DSP you wouldn't be able to give it the proper signal it needs to have a benefit to the sound.

Audio is very subjective. I can't say if something is gonna sound good for you. Neither can you for me. Like you say, you can start with the front speakers and subs. These aren't too hard to replace and need replacing anyway. Then you can decide. If it sounds good, leave it. If you still don't like it, an amp would be the next step.

The roof speakers can be changed. It would improve the sound a little bit but I would do these last. Imho the best order of doing things is: Front doors, Subs, Amp, Roof.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 01:28 PM   #22
mimoon
Private
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzii View Post
i have by base system coded to bowers and wilkins, it sounded the best, though there's no amp.
I'm getting an audison amp installed in a few weeks and will report back how much better it will sound.
what model of audison is it?
Appreciate 0