BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Sun/moonroof or Slicktop?

View Poll Results: Sun/moonroof or Slicktop?
Sun/moonroof 73 28.40%
Slicktop 184 71.60%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

03-09-2022, 02:04 PM   #67
yuriydee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

Seems like moonroofs are really unpopular but oh well. I personally really like the moonroof and use it very often. Nice to let in some air or completely open it when its nice weather. So far all my cars have had them and luckily no issues up until now.

I got the moonroof, exec package, 6mt combo. I dont care about the extra weight since I probably wont track the car.
Appreciate 3
jefe2000740.50
Moflow2484.50
Navy Davy220.00
      03-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #68
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I ordered my M2 comp without one. My E92 M3 had one and I never even opened the sunshade.
      03-12-2022, 06:21 PM   #69
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I wouldn't spec the sunroof even if it were free.
This.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 09:57 PM   #70
Feint
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2

Everyone will quote the Marketing literature on sunroofs and how they unbalance the car. But sunroofs are placed in the center of the car so they don't affect the F/R weight distribution. And if a sunroof is throwing off your cornering, I think the problem is behind the wheel, not above the driver. Sunroof all the way for me.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #71
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget M3 View Post
Wow. I expected there would be a bias toward slicktop based on previous general comments, but not this lopsided. Currently 25-6 in favor of slicktop. Interesting follow up question then: If you were buying your M2 used, would the fact that it had a sunroof make you walk away?
Yes, absolute deal breaker for me if the car wasn't a slicktop.
      03-23-2022, 10:05 AM   #72
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Wow. I expected there would be a bias toward slicktop based on previous general comments, but not this lopsided. Currently 25-6 in favor of slicktop. Interesting follow up question then: If you were buying your M2 used, would the fact that it had a sunroof make you walk away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_F87 View Post
Yes, absolute deal breaker for me if the car wasn't a slicktop.
With a statistically more significant number of votes now recorded, the tally is roughly ~70/30 in favor of slicktop. I guess sunroof lovers will have to search longer and harder to find one when the M2’s fall into the hands of second, third, and more owners….
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2022, 02:06 PM   #73
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
With a statistically more significant number of votes now recorded, the tally is roughly ~70/30 in favor of slicktop. I guess sunroof lovers will have to search longer and harder to find one when the M2's fall into the hands of second, third, and more owners….
I believe the sunroof/moonroof M2s will become the most sought after, especially by people not tracking. They seem more desirable and most buyers are just taking these to and from work anyway.

Did we ever get concrete numbers on M2s produced worldwide? A breakout that shows count per color would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #74
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

Don't forget that this site suffers from selection bias. That is, it's a site for enthusiasts who unsurprisingly prefer slicktops. In the wild, the split between the two options may be very different.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 03:52 PM   #75
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Davy View Post
I believe the sunroof/moonroof M2s will become the most sought after, especially by people not tracking. They seem more desirable and most buyers are just taking these to and from work anyway.

Did we ever get concrete numbers on M2s produced worldwide? A breakout that shows count per color would be awesome.
I dont track my M2, take my car to work daily, scoot around on the back road mostly, love moon roofs, and still went slick top on this car for the looks alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver View Post
Don't forget that this site suffers from selection bias. That is, it's a site for enthusiasts who unsurprisingly prefer slicktops. In the wild, the split between the two options may be very different.
True
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 04:16 PM   #76
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I believe the sunroof/moonroof M2s will become the most sought after, especially by people not tracking.
I hope this to be true when I go to sell to collect my possible G87!! But to be honest this could be more true since there was a not carbon roof option on the comp. If there was it would be a harder decision. I am still not sure what to do with my possible G87 order in regards to carbon or sunroof?????

Quote:
No but you can assume about 50% Hock Silver if you are talking comp only.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 05:35 PM   #77
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
Quote:
I believe the sunroof/moonroof M2s will become the most sought after, especially by people not tracking.
I hope this to be true when I go to sell to collect my possible G87!! But to be honest this could be more true since there was a not carbon roof option on the comp. If there was it would be a harder decision. I am still not sure what to do with my possible G87 order in regards to carbon or sunroof?????

Quote:
No but you can assume about 50% Hock Silver if you are talking comp only.
Prob better to go carbon roof on the g87 since the rear seat headroom is even smaller. The moonroof would only reduce headroom.

I've seen Hockenheim Silver in person and wasn't a fan. BMW should have offered at least 1-2 more colors for the F87s. Maybe a crimson type of red and/or a gunmetal gray.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #78
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Prob better to go carbon roof on the g87 since the rear seat headroom is even smaller. The moonroof would only reduce headroom.

I've seen Hockenheim Silver in person and wasn't a fan. BMW should have offered at least 1-2 more colors for the F87s. Maybe a crimson type of red and/or a gunmetal gray.
They did on the OG. Grey that is.

I agree with you although I would have preferred a nice deep dark blue.

For me it was a toss up of HS or SO. I ended up with HS because I just did not like how SO looked in the shade. Personal opinion of course so don’t FLAME ME!!!

I also considered AW as it’s probably the least picked color and looks awesome.
Appreciate 1
Navy Davy220.00
      03-24-2022, 03:10 AM   #79
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here in Seattle opening the sunroof is a great way to acknowledge "today is in fact a nice day!" on the rare sunny days from October - June or so lol
Appreciate 1
Navy Davy220.00
      03-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #80
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Here in Seattle opening the sunroof is a great way to acknowledge "today is in fact a nice day!" on the rare sunny days from October - June or so lol
You were the man that got me into the AA Mid. I ended up selling it to a very cool board member as 4 shops in NorCal refused to install it.

I am fine with it. I got used to the S55 sound and bubbles.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 08:00 AM   #81
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They did on the OG. Grey that is.

I agree with you although I would have preferred a nice deep dark blue.

For me it was a toss up of HS or SO. I ended up with HS because I just did not like how SO looked in the shade. Personal opinion of course so don't FLAME ME!!!

I also considered AW as it's probably the least picked color and looks awesome.
That being said, if I hadn't found the exact car and spec in AW I wanted, it was either going to be between BB or HS! A darker meaner looking shade of blue would have been awesome too! I've always wondered why BMW picked SO .
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 08:09 AM   #82
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I honestly couldn't imagine having this car without one. I see more benefits to having one than saving a few pounds on weight. Plus, once you get the car tinted it adds some contrast and the car looks even better!
Appreciate 1
ESB1046.50
      03-24-2022, 09:18 AM   #83
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
I went to Seattle a few years ago for a long weekend. I always wanted to see the area and enjoy the wet misty weather as I live in San Diego and we never really get that.

When I was there it was in the upper 80's low 90 and sunny as hell the entire time.
Fri Sat Sun Sun sun sun. Locals were telling me they had not had a heat wave like this in a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 10:07 AM   #84
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
I went to Seattle a few years ago for a long weekend. I always wanted to see the area and enjoy the wet misty weather as I live in San Diego and we never really get that.

When I was there it was in the upper 80's low 90 and sunny as hell the entire time.
Fri Sat Sun Sun sun sun. Locals were telling me they had not had a heat wave like this in a while.
I visited Seattle and had amazing warm sunny weather as well. Locals told me the same story about how it's never sunny. I think it's a plot by Seattle residents to keep people from moving there.
Appreciate 1
ESB1046.50
      03-25-2022, 01:34 PM   #85
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
You were the man that got me into the AA Mid. I ended up selling it to a very cool board member as 4 shops in NorCal refused to install it.

I am fine with it. I got used to the S55 sound and bubbles.
Lol hello! Had to re read this a few times because at first I took it to mean you didn't like it and regretted the purchase! I forgot my coffee this morning.

Sad that nobody wanted to install it. FWIW a shop in my area originally said no but then they called Active and somehow Active reassured them it was fine / emissions legal etc etc

Glad you're enjoying the car though!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #86
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
Quote:

Upper 80s low 90s??? That had to have been in the summer!

Come visit in February. You'll love it here 😅
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 11:47 PM   #87
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol hello! Had to re read this a few times because at first I took it to mean you didn't like it and regretted the purchase! I forgot my coffee this morning.

Sad that nobody wanted to install it. FWIW a shop in my area originally said no but then they called Active and somehow Active reassured them it was fine / emissions legal etc etc

I get my jolly’s out with the CarBahn tune.

Ca is different with exhaust. A shop can get a hefty fine installing aftermarket here.

BWW is also denying claims on tuned cars. When I got the tune I had just over 2y left on the BMW warranty so I bought the two year matching warranty from CarBahn. Glad I did not as if something driveline related goes wrong I have the back up coverage. Both warranties end right about the same time. SO if nothing happens with the tune in TWO YEARS then I should be good to go. I am going to get the crank hub done toward the end of those warranties for piece of mind.

Have you done anything else since the mid pipe. I am thinking my next thing is the M perf coilovers. I was hot for the 763’s for a long time but gave that up. I have better things to spend 4.5K on.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 11:57 PM   #88
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I get my jolly’s out with the CarBahn tune.

Ca is different with exhaust. A shop can get a hefty fine installing aftermarket here.

BWW is also denying claims on tuned cars. When I got the tune I had just over 2y left on the BMW warranty so I bought the two year matching warranty from CarBahn. Glad I did not as if something driveline related goes wrong I have the back up coverage. Both warranties end right about the same time. SO if nothing happens with the tune in TWO YEARS then I should be good to go. I am going to get the crank hub done toward the end of those warranties for piece of mind.

Have you done anything else since the mid pipe. I am thinking my next thing is the M perf coilovers. I was hot for the 763’s for a long time but gave that up. I have better things to spend 4.5K on.
Nope! Nothing else yet and no plans tbh
Appreciate 0