BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #23
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I think they should not charge for the delete of the sunroof, but at the same time they should not give you a credit or reduction in price for not having it. Same price with or without. Correct me if i'm wrong for those who track their cars, but it's not so much the extra 50lbs, but the location of the 50 lbs.

Lips
      07-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #24
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

I'd pay extra for sunroof delete if I had to. One less thing to break, one less leak point, less weight up top. Resale value isn't a concern for me as I tend to keep my cars so long, it wouldn't make much difference by the time I went to sell, if ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #25
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lips View Post
I think they should not charge for the delete of the sunroof, but at the same time they should not give you a credit or reduction in price for not having it. Same price with or without. Correct me if i'm wrong for those who track their cars, but it's not so much the extra 50lbs, but the location of the 50 lbs.

Lips
Yes, that's right and the headroom issue is major (over 1" of headroom is lost due to the cavity in the roof that holds the sunroof when in the retracted position).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #26
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonie View Post
I doubt that the extra weight (50lbs the most) will make any difference at the racetrack.
The weight difference is over 60 lbs for a Porsche, so I imagine it's the same here. If the weight difference in the roof didn't matter, then why is BMW spending thousands to make CF roofs on the M3 and M6? Mits. EVO has Aluminum roof with no sunroof on its better models too...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #27
krassanova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I think onehots2k made an excellent point about losign the weight at the wheels by losing the run-flats. I've upgraded my MINI ALOT but putting on performance tires was probably the most dramatic change in handling I experienced.

For the Sunroof haters, you might want to look at the Z4 M-Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #28
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I plan on leasing mine so I could care less what it's worth at the end of my lease.
Actually, you do care and you just don't now it. :biggrin:

The residual value of the car at lease end is used in determining what portion of the car's value you'll be leasing. That determines your lease payment. Lower residual value = higher payments.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #29
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

I don't care for a sunroof/moonroof on this car either, I hope to have a delete option. Can't decide on resale, but I need to love the car if I'm gonna spend 35K, regardless of what someone else wants to spend years from now...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #30
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I am well aware that that is how a lease is calculated but the difference is negligible and if you've ever negotiated a lease you know that the residual is also negotiable so yea I guess I care to some degree but not enough to make me get a package on the car that doesn't do anything for me. Some people love them and that is fine, I'm just saying if given the option I would choose not to have one. Although the extra room it gives in the cabin is nice I can't say it will help me out since I am vertically challenged...o well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsites View Post
Actually, you do care and you just don't now it. :biggrin:

The residual value of the car at lease end is used in determining what portion of the car's value you'll be leasing. That determines your lease payment. Lower residual value = higher payments.
      07-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #31
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

i would imagine that the no-cost sunroof-delete option (which i view as the most practical way to handle the problem from bmw) would be something that bmw would strongly take into account, especially for the 1 series because it is a performance car. and because of that emphasis, this is a small car. they should not want to rule tall people out of the market for a sports car (which i would think are a decent percent of the market given the probability that they are middle aged men) because of an inch of headroom. also because it is a performance car they should be aware (and obviously are as grant said with respect to the m3 and m6) that weight up top makes a bigger difference than anywhere from a performance perspective. not just on the track but the amount of body roll experienced around each and every corner..

that being said, i'd probably leave it, haha
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #32
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krassanova View Post
For the Sunroof haters, you might want to look at the Z4 M-Coupe.
I would but it's $15k more money with much less power (after a little tune)...

It does have an LSD though...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #33
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

I would delete if if I could. For all reasons already mentioned. I might add that I would also not have folding rear seats, because the fixed ones add a serious amount of structural rigidity, on the 3er (which i have) it was an option not to have the fold downs, it appears on the 1er it's standard

As a side note. I looked at thetop of my 3er and noticed there was four tabs on each corner, you can pop them off with a flat head easily. It appers as if there are just 4 spot welds holding the majority of the roof on, including the sunroof. I'm willing to bet you could take 80% of the top off and replace it with titanium or carbon fiber without changing the head liner or anything else. I'll be looking into this further is there isn't a sunroof delete option.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #34
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I generally prefer sunroofs because they bring light into the interior and make them feel bigger and less claustrophobic. However, Im all for not making it standard so that way I dont have to pay for something in the base price of the car I dont want. My goal really will be to get a bare bones 135i with only a few individual options and a sunroof is something I can easily live without, especially considering that I never use them even when I have them.

On a side note, this myth that run flats are very, very heavy is becoming less and less true. The Bridgestone RE050A RFTs that I had on my MX-5 were no heavier than the average tire for my tire size (205/45/17). There are certainly some RFTs that are heavy but you arent going to save 20+ pounds on the tires alone. As the technology improves, the weight of the tires have gone down and are certainly acceptable in my opinion. The only problem, I have with them, is cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #35
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I have heard that the sunroof will be standard on the 135i in the US (Benzomatic on VW Vortex site) and I am deeply concerned. I really hope that either this is untrue or that sunroof will be a delete option.

I much prefer the lower weight (right at the top of the car where it does the most damage), fewer rattles and leaks, clean lines, and most importantly the increased headroom in a non-sunroof car. This last item is extemely important for wearing a helmet at a Drivers Ed track event.

Can anyone shed any light?
I have no doubt that the sunroof will be standard, BMW seems to get us stuck with that option.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #36
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

On both my cars that had sunroof, I've probably used it about 3-4 times a year. Other than that, all I could gain was added wind noise. And after couple years, the seals would start cracking so I had water leak in and I had to get the seals replaced. No sunroof would be nice for me please. I'd much rather save weight and gain extra headroom.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #37
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I'll ditch some extra weight by getting rid of those standard run-flats.
That's a very tempting plan, but then would you somehow carry a spare in that tiny trunk of the 1? I don't think there will be much room left for anything else.

But then you drive an S2000 so clearly that's not a concern for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #38
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

All you need is a can of fix a flat, AAA card or BMW roadside, and a tire protection plan from discount tires. That is what we have on our MX-5 and the plan has paid off since we have had 4 nails in the tires since we got it. (I live in a new development with lots of construction)
      07-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #39
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
All you need is a can of fix a flat, AAA card or BMW roadside, and a tire protection plan from discount tires. That is what we have on our MX-5 and the plan has paid off since we have had 4 nails in the tires since we got it. (I live in a new development with lots of construction)
It's hard for me to imagine fixing the flat at night on the road side, even assuming that it's a fixable kind of flat. Do you let the car sit on the tiny scissor jack the whole time you are locating the nail, fixing it, and re-inflating it? Perhaps it's ok if it's in my area, but I'm not sure about going on a 600 mile trip counting on a fix-a-flat and AAA card.

Or maybe I'm just a wussy. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #40
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

You have a valid point, although the MX-5 hardly goes on 600 mile road trips since it is a tad small. For the fix we just jacked it up a little bit, let all the air out, and then refilled it. It worked well considering the nail was on the outter sidewall and we had to buy a new tire the following day. Keep in mind this all occurred on the day we bought the car, but that's a story for another day.

Lips
      07-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #41
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
That's a very tempting plan, but then would you somehow carry a spare in that tiny trunk of the 1? I don't think there will be much room left for anything else.

But then you drive an S2000 so clearly that's not a concern for you.
Haha...I dont need no stinkin spare! I'm with "Lips" on this one. If the can wont save me, I'm screwed!!
      07-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #42
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

That is what BMW roadside assistance will be for. Just make sure you have your cell phone charger in case the battery dies...
      07-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #43
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

The only problem I can think of for the can of Fix-A-Flat is the inability to repair the tire. Im not 100% sure, but because of all the foam that the can uses, doesnt it make it extremely difficult for a technician to repair the tire forcing you to purchase a brand new tire? Could be wrong, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #44
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

Yup, I'm agreeing, that's why you get roadside...
Appreciate 0