BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Getting rid of crappy Good Year RF's...Spare tire kit reasonable price?

03-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #23
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Well, I went ahead and bought the alloy spare wheel for about $200. Tire rack spare tire continental (at least German vs the Taiwan brand spare tire factory option comes with) for $110 shipped. I then Canibalized my e90 spare tire kit for the foam, jack, wheel chuck, and spare tire wrench. Wrapped it up in the tote that used to hold my e90 spare tire. Tied it down with a spare tie down from my truck. Not nice looking but for $310 I think I did pretty well. Of course ordering it from factory is the best choice if you have a place to spare it when you need the space.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Junebug851589.00
      03-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #24
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
You can order a spare tire kit with any wheels & tires, but it's required on the non-runflat's.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #25
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
This issue has been discussed in another thread. May I just say, respectfully and without any intention to argue or demean, that there is another point of view. I have been all over the country in my last several vehicles, including several motorcycles, without a spare. My wife's E350, with 130K on the clock has a spacesaver spare which has never been touched. I have always carried a pump, tire slime, and a Dynaplug kit, also never used, but with the ability to rescue me if I get a nail which causes rapid deflation (which is unlikely). If you shread a tire locally, with a spare kit and an empty trunk, you will be able to rescue yourself by changing the tire. However, on a trip, with a full trunk (much smaller than mine, if you have a spare kit), where are you going to put the filthy and quite large wheel you remove, with the shredded tire on it? You will, ultimately, have to leave it on the side of the road, or call a tow truck. My considered choice will be, if I decide to get rid of the runflats (which I may do), to continue to run without a spare using the kit I described above, and to call a tow truck in a catastrophe, which will cost me time, but insurance will cover the monetary cost. That way, as I did on my Mini, Porsche, motorcycles, and M4, I can run the Michelin PS4S(etc) and maintain my trunk space for golf clubs, luggage, and other neat stuff. Just my $.02.
You clearly don't live or drive near Houston where there's construction everywhere! It's not if, it's when.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:03 AM   #26
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
I noticed that cars without the spare tyre option have cargo net hooks sticking out so maybe they mean these will have to be removed as mine doesn't have them. It wouldn't fit with them there.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that strap in your car used to hold down the spare tire is using the cargo hooks...
Not sure about them I will have to check but the 2 hooks in the back aren't there.
A number of people have asked about the dirty flat tire in the trunk. My Mercedes came with a full spare tire, a pair of gloves and a bag for the dirty tire. I kept the gloves and bag for my BMW 😂
      03-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #27
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
This issue has been discussed in another thread. May I just say, respectfully and without any intention to argue or demean, that there is another point of view. I have been all over the country in my last several vehicles, including several motorcycles, without a spare. My wife's E350, with 130K on the clock has a spacesaver spare which has never been touched.......
I have to agree on this and the rest of what hlothery said. I have been saved a couple of time by run flats and never felt the need to put on a spare in the nine years that I owned my 2010 535xi. When I sold it last fall the new buyer asked if it had a spare and I said no, it has runflats. Then later before he picked it up I thought about it and went down to the garage and checked. Sure enough, it had a space saver spare under the floor cover. Down to about 25 psi, so I put it up to its required 60 psi. But there it was; I had forgotten about it. --Bob
      03-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #28
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
I have to agree on this and the rest of what hlothery said. I have been saved a couple of time by run flats and never felt the need to put on a spare in the nine years that I owned my 2010 535xi. When I sold it last fall the new buyer asked if it had a spare and I said no, it has runflats. Then later before he picked it up I thought about it and went down to the garage and checked. Sure enough, it had a space saver spare under the floor cover. Down to about 25 psi, so I put it up to its required 60 psi. But there it was; I had forgotten about it. --Bob
If I was going to keep the RF's definitely would've saved the hassle and didn't bother into looking for a spare.
I visit several remote clinics that are deep into the desert where it takes over a hour for a tow truck to get to me, so trying my luck with a tire sealant kit is not an option.
After driving a colleague's M550i car with PS4's I knew I have to get rid of these horrible good years asap. The PS4's were smoother, quieter, and had better grip all at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #29
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Interestingly, drove to DFW last week to babysit my granddaughter for a week. Hit a pothole on the way. Drove on without any problems. When I got to DFW, noticed a bulge in the right front tire. Went to Discount Tire and they confirmed that the tire should be replaced, but they could not get a Goodyear F1 Performance Run Flat for at least a week. Went to BMW, where I bought the car, and they had 2 of them in stock. They did tell me that it was not critical that I replace it, that some customers had driven for over a year with similar bulges, but I have a trip scheduled to NC from Texas next week, and opted to replace, to the tune of $410. The tires only had 8600 miles on them. I do have a wheel/tire insurance plan, so may be able to recoup the money. When they wear out, I will decide which Michelins I will replace them with. It will either be Michelin PS Run Flats, or PS4S non-run flats. Have not decided which yet, but it appears that if I experience a catastrophic failure on the road, it does not matter which one, or even if I have a temporary spare. I will still be stranded for about a week, unless I pay to overnight a performance tire which fits. Just the price of driving this wonderful machine, and I accept that. It's always an adventure, so enjoy your cars!!!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-31-2019, 05:39 AM   #30
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Name:  IMG_2772.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  210.4 KB

I have this one by a German company that says it is safe for tire pressure monitors. I used it for my 335d sport when switching to non-runflat Michelin PSS's but haven't tried it for a flat yet. I also carry a flat repair kit that I have never had to use.

Most of my flats occur around the home base so I can often just remove the tire in the garage and bring it to the tire shop.

For $150 I would order the kit from BMW if I was able to. I'm on the fence on whether to use RFT's or not since one time I did drive about 120 miles on a bad blowout that ended up ruining the wheel also (I know, they are for 50 miles or less). This brings me to think that only a spare tire kit would work should I need to drive long distances away from "civilization."

PL
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #31
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Attachment 2021842

I have this one by a German company that says it is safe for tire pressure monitors. I used it for my 335d sport when switching to non-runflat Michelin PSS's but haven't tried it for a flat yet. I also carry a flat repair kit that I have never had to use.

Most of my flats occur around the home base so I can often just remove the tire in the garage and bring it to the tire shop.

For $150 I would order the kit from BMW if I was able to. I'm on the fence on whether to use RFT's or not since one time I did drive about 120 miles on a bad blowout that ended up ruining the wheel also (I know, they are for 50 miles or less). This brings me to think that only a spare tire kit would work should I need to drive long distances away from "civilization."

PL

Similarly, all the flats I have ever had have been from a slow leak caused by a nail or screw. I drove all the way to Pinehurst in my E350 after picking up a nail on the way, filling up the tire with my electric pump each morning. Played golf for a week, filled up the tire and drove all the way back to Texas. Then had Discount Tire repair the tire. I realize catastrophic failures do occur, but they are rare in my experience. I, too, am on the fence about my next tires.....Michelin Run Flats, or PS4S go flats. Still some time to decide, and I have my pump, Dynaplug repair kit, and Slime kit. Very similar in function to the BMW Mobility Kit. Having just suffered my first sidewall bulge from a pothole, I wonder if go flats are less likely than run flats to have catastrophic sidewall damage, and therefore safer?
Appreciate 0