BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Helps, improves comfort bmw 540i passive M sports suspension and runflat tires

10-03-2023, 08:53 AM   #23
Alberto540i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkapG30msport View Post
hey there I have the same issue. actually shocked at how rough the ride is. I guess I should have test driven the damn car for longer lol. im having 18" non runflat tire set installed today. going to see how that helps. will let you know. I have a 19 540i with m sport package non adaptive suspension. if the tire switch isn't enough Im going to look into new coilovers maybe
Hello, how have you been doing with the 18", I hope very well!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 05:06 PM   #24
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto540i View Post
Hello, I would appreciate any help possible. I have read a lot here and there are people who are left with the inconvenience of the passive M sports suspension on the one hand and the Runflat tires on the other, the car is not comfortable for me on a daily basis, it seems rigid to me. It is clear that the M suspension and the runflar tires are the stiffest from the factory, and it also has a 20" tire. The questions would be:
1. To what extent is the comfort noticeable when eliminating runflat with a conventional tire, is it little noticeable or quite noticeable? I think about increasing the profile of the rear tire from 30 to 35, what would be the degree of gain.
2. Regarding the suspension, has anyone changed to less rigid springs? If so, what is the appreciation of the change.
3.Does anyone know about adaptive suspension retrofitting? Is the wiring in the car even if it doesn't have factory edc?
4. What else can I do while keeping the 20" wheel?
I hope you can help me on this issue, I have lumbar surgery and I would like to not have to get rid of the car.
greetings friends
If you have passive M-Sport, I would not touch adaptive. Passive M-Sport will give you the best handling.

I don't know how you could find this suspension too hard, but you could try lowering tire pressure.

On my 540, I run 2.2 all around instead of the recommended 2.4. Anything above 2.3 bar feels like driving on marbles to me. Lower TP gives better grip, the car feels more planted, and there is a bit more comfort with RFs.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 05:22 PM   #25
Alberto540i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
If you have passive M-Sport, I would not touch adaptive. Passive M-Sport will give you the best handling.

I don't know how you could find this suspension too hard, but you could try lowering tire pressure.

On my 540, I run 2.2 all around instead of the recommended 2.4. Anything above 2.3 bar feels like driving on marbles to me. Lower TP gives better grip, the car feels more planted, and there is a bit more comfort with RFs.
If in potholes it is a strong blow to the back, many people are experiencing it, do you have a 20" wheel?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 05:31 PM   #26
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto540i View Post
If in potholes it is a strong blow to the back, many people are experiencing it, do you have a 20" wheel?

664M in 19"

My description of the ride is sporty, but with the feeling that I have a firm Swedish foam mattress between me and the actual suspension. Cushy and comfy, but can be leaned on in the corners and is predictable. Quite impressive actually.

Last edited by Neusser; 10-09-2023 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0