BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Engagement Ring's Size vs Clarity

08-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I kind of roll my eyes each time I see those rings with a 0.75 stone surrounded by 50 pave stones to make it appear that she has a 4 carat ring on. To me, it's like a girl stuffing her bra...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 3
jtodd_fl6703.50
///Mongo272.50
F87LUV3689.00
      08-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #24
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Well, I went on Bluenile.com to price out a classic style ring and it was about$9k total for 1.21 carats, F color, VVS2, ideal cut in a platinum setting. That is dirt cheap. A similar ring runs about $15k at Tiffany's and sky rockets from there. I like Tiffany's but you do pay for the name.

Also, you could save a lot of money by going with between sizes. Example, instead of 1 carat, go with .96. Almost impossible to tell the difference between .96 and 1.00 and it's a lot cheaper.

My ideal ring would be closer to 1.5 carat, D color, VVS1, and ideal cut.

Also, congrats on taking the next step OP! Hope she says yes!
Also got my wife's ring on Bluenile and I agree with the above. Also, when the diamonds are professionally graded and come with paperwork, then you have a time period to return the ring (you/she doesn't like the ring or she says no), I can't see paying the overhead of the retail jewelry store. You pick out the individual diamonds, the setting, etc. unlike a jewelry store that tries to sell you what they have and who makes it difficult to judge all of the attributes.

While we like to make it out to be a really important decision, reality is I have never met someone that said their marriage wasn't good or they got a divorce because of the ring. If your marriage sucks it will be because of far greater issues. Buy something in your price range and try to find something you think she will like and you will be fine.

I also have never understood the woman who wants you to spend way more than the two of you can afford (for this or any other major purchase) as reality is the lack or money or now increased debt will soon be her problem also. Also a red flag to future money problems.
      08-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #25
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I kind of roll my eyes each time I see those rings with a 0.75 stone surrounded by 50 pave stones to make it appear that she has a 4 carat ring on. To me, it's like a girl stuffing her bra...
I can honestly say I have never looked at someone else's ring and thought anything negative of it and I find it odd that you care.

If they are both happy with it good for them.
      08-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #26
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I can honestly say I have never looked at someone else's ring and thought anything negative of it and I find it odd that you care.

Do I care? Not one bit. Do I think it's a little silly? Sure.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #27
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Ah, worthless diamond rings and the peer pressure of life...
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #28
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho
Men seriously do this? Peep women's rings and roll their eyes?
Wow
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #29
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post

When you drive a V-Dub, you can look down on the peasants

OP, size matters most imo, but you can always upgrade later on. Both the ring and the wife
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #30
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Ah, worthless diamond rings and the peer pressure of life...
Exactly my point on rolling my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
Men seriously do this? Peep women's rings and roll their eyes?
Wow
We all clicked on a thread about diamond engagement rings so don't pretend to be above this conversation.

The trend has shifted from having a nice, modest solitary stone to putting a zillion flakes of diamond dust around a stone to make it look bigger. I would never roll my eyes at a modest ring but I do think it's a bizarre trend to intentionally try to give the illusion of a larger stone. I'm rolling my eyes at the trend, not the person. It seems to be a direct result of societal pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
When you drive a V-Dub, you can look down on the peasants
Because this crowd goes really easy on people putting M badges on 325s... it's a similar concept. You're giving one thing the appearance of another.

You also just judged me based on my choice of car so I don't see how you're in a different boat.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #31
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Big mistake I made, went for a really nice stone but no one gave a fuck, all they see is the size of the stone..

Women cannot tell between SD and HD tv ffs.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441014.00
      08-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #32
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

let me put it this way

size

size

OR

SIZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
So I just bit the bullet and got a decent ring. I wanna know from your experience which do women prefer size or clarity/cut.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #33
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Big mistake I made, went for a really nice stone but no one gave a fuck, all they see is the size of the stone..

Our jeweler gave us a great piece of advice. He said you should never buy a stone to impress only your jeweler. Literally 100% of the rest of the world will not be able to spot minor inclusions in your stone. Size is the most obvious, followed by color to the layperson. A better cut will also give you much more sparkle.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #34
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

wife asked, so what the big deal with HD

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #35
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If you and your wife like it who is the "no one" and why care? Trying to impress the masses with your purchases is a pointless exercise.

I also prefer a nice stone over just a big, poor quality stone but this is a never ending sliding scale of what nice or good is and how much more you want to pay.
      08-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #36
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Look the ONLY main thing to do here...

1> buy a ring based on 3 times you paycheck <weekly or monthly>

then go out and buy the biggest MOFO diamond for that price, screw clarity and dat shizzle WOMEN dont care they wanna flaunt a big a$$ ring.

My wife got a really good quality ring from a jeweler I used to know, didn't pay half what I thought, wife took one look at it..........ONE LOOK AT IT

you know that look,................

PLEASE learn from a married dufus like me

its not ALL about the Bass, its all about the size (if you dont have size) better have money
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #37
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Exactly my point on rolling my eyes.

We all clicked on a thread about diamond engagement rings so don't pretend to be above this conversation.

The trend has shifted from having a nice, modest solitary stone to putting a zillion flakes of diamond dust around a stone to make it look bigger. I would never roll my eyes at a modest ring but I do think it's a bizarre trend to intentionally try to give the illusion of a larger stone. I'm rolling my eyes at the trend, not the person. It seems to be a direct result of societal pressures.
There are the lets put a lot of little diamonds together to make it look like a big diamond, then there are the vintage style rings with a center diamond and accent diamonds around it. Then theres the real diamonds surrounding a fake stone or non diamond stone. The 1st, yes, cheesy. I prefer the look of the 2nd over a solitaire or 3 stone setting, and this is the most popular type in my expert analysis of looking at the women's rings in my office. The 3rd, IDC about unless they try to tell everyone its a diamond. Not everyone can afford a $5k ring and a couple hundred $ ring works great for them.

Quote:
Because this crowd goes really easy on people putting M badges on 325s... it's a similar concept. You're giving one thing the appearance of another.

You also just judged me based on my choice of car so I don't see how you're in a different boat.
im a peasant so i can judge.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #38
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Back in the 70's my dad bought my mom an engagement ring with a sapphire. He couldn't afford a nice diamond at the time, but said that when he could he would buy her a diamond. My mom didn't care and they've been married since. She eventually got a diamond in the 00's because a sapphire is not as hard as a diamond (although it is the next hardest stone) and it was starting to get chipped.

Point is, she should be happy to marry you no matter the ring. Also, other precious stones are cheaper and kind of in these days. Princess Kate got a sapphire. Maybe consider treating your bride like a princess.

If you really want to go the diamond route, my experience is that letting my wife pick was cheaper than me buying it. She told me she didn't want to wear an expensive ring because it made her nervous. I didn't do a traditional proposal so it was easy to get her to do the shopping after we were engaged. But a buddy of mine proposed with a fake he bought online and then got his fiancee to pick out what she wanted.

Last edited by CanadianGatorBacon; 08-09-2016 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #39
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Forgot pix
Excellent choice sir, this looks identical to the one I purchased for my wife.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #40
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post

Point is, she should be happy to marry you no matter the ring. Also, other precious stones are cheaper and kind of in these days. Princess Kate got a sapphire. Maybe consider treating your bride like a princess.
This mudda fukka wins everything.

Wish I had thought of that when i bought my wifes ring.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #41
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I just proposed last weekend as well. I went for a compromise in all areas, but I'm glad I didn't go larger. The ring looks nearly comically large on her finger (my fiance is small). Neither of us are the gaudy type.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #42
SDH
Captain
Rep

So is the ring pre or post proposal? If post why not just take her out to a few jewellery stores and ask her what type of ring she likes so you have an idea for the styles she likes. But really your looking to see if she's picking out the larger stones
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #43
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Ring envy wears off, VERY quickly.

That said, it's a diamond. "Bang for buck" is the dumbest, most overrated aspect of diamond buying. Let me see if I can articulate this.

A diamond is rare. It should be rare. Prices are essentially commoditized. You'll pay a bit of a premium at places like Tiffany, but at the end of the day, it's all in the same ballpark.

I know a lot about diamonds. Cut is the most important thing. I'd rather have a slightly more included less white diamond than a terribly cut VVS1 in an E color.

Again, that said, all aspects are important because the entire purpose of buying a diamond is rarity. If you get a 2 carat K color, SI2 clarity, but "no one can tell" it has inclusions and the color is shit, it's still a shit diamond.

Get the best diamond you can for $20,000 or Whatever you're spending.

There is a reason a 1 carat, VVS1, Ideal Cut, E color diamond is ~$12,000 and a 2 carat, SI2, good cut, J color diamond is $10,000. To me, a bigger diamond is just a show off. If it's a shit stone, who cares?

Let me give you some perspective. A 2 carat, essentially flawless, ideal cut, colorless diamond is around $100,000.

Same size, 10x the price.

Long story short, don't fall for sales guys trying to sell you a bigger rock that is a shit diamond. Diamonds should be essentially colorless, no inclusions, and ideally cut. Anything beyond that, you begin to marginalize the entire concept of a diamond.

If the whole pitch is "you can't tell it sucks," just get a cubic zirconia.

My minimums:
  • Ideal cut
  • D, E or F color (maybe)
  • VVS1 is lowest clarity I'd go
  • No less than 1 carat (or what's the point)
  • No Florescence
  • Excellent symmetry
  • No Culet
Appreciate 2
F87LUV3689.00
jaye9441014.00
      08-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #44
SDH
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Ring envy wears off, VERY quickly.

That said, it's a diamond. "Bang for buck" is the dumbest, most overrated aspect of diamond buying. Let me see if I can articulate this.

A diamond is rare. It should be rare. Prices are essentially commoditized. You'll pay a bit of a premium at places like Tiffany, but at the end of the day, it's all in the same ballpark.

I know a lot about diamonds. Cut is the most important thing. I'd rather have a slightly more included less white diamond than a terribly cut VVS1 in an E color.

Again, that said, all aspects are important because the entire purpose of buying a diamond is rarity. If you get a 2 carat K color, SI2 clarity, but "no one can tell" it has inclusions and the color is shit, it's still a shit diamond.

Get the best diamond you can for $20,000 or Whatever you're spending.

There is a reason a 1 carat, VVS1, Ideal Cut, E color diamond is ~$12,000 and a 2 carat, SI2, good cut, J color diamond is $10,000. To me, a bigger diamond is just a show off. If it's a shit stone, who cares?

Let me give you some perspective. A 2 carat, essentially flawless, ideal cut, colorless diamond is around $100,000.

Same size, 10x the price.

Long story short, don't fall for sales guys trying to sell you a bigger rock that is a shit diamond. Diamonds should be essentially colorless, no inclusions, and ideally cut. Anything beyond that, you begin to marginalize the entire concept of a diamond.

If the whole pitch is "you can't tell it sucks," just get a cubic zirconia.

My minimums:
  • Ideal cut
  • D, E or F color (maybe)
  • VVS1 is lowest clarity I'd go
  • No less than 1 carat (or what's the point)
  • No Florescence
  • Excellent symmetry
  • No Culet
I agree with you on quality of stone vs. size of stone, just a shame I couldn't afford top spend that sort of money on my better half... $20k
Appreciate 0