BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Strange noise after pressing gas pedal. 530D

08-03-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
Vlch
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D xDrive

Exclamation Strange noise after pressing gas pedal. 530D

Good Day , Dear BMW Community Members

Maybe anyone of you may help or know whats the issue with my car, please.

I own the BMW G30 530D (265hp) xDrive 2017, car mileage is around 55000, car is in pretty good condition, all the official services and checks were passed. Last visiting of the official dealer was 200miles ago and there were no any issues or faults, everything was fine.

Today I started hearing strange noise from front part of the car. (Video of the noise will be attached by YouTube link.) 
That sound occurs when you agressivly press the accelerator pedal (agressivly - meaning quickly pressed and quickly took the foot off the pedal). Gearbox selector position doesn’t play any role as the noise is present on any position (P, D, N, R).
Also when you turn off the car you can hear this sound twice during the engine shutting off (this happening without touching any pedals).. 

Just for notice when I tried to press pedal slowly and smoothly this sound was almost inaudible and everything okay (you can hear this moment in the video).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and assistance.

Appreciate 1
      08-04-2023, 08:08 AM   #2
Vlch
Rep

issue was found

Good day,

There is an update regarding this noise. Today i brough my car to the service center (not official one as garantee expired) and thanks God they told me thats not critical and not something with engine or parts around of it

After driving on a cobblestone road in the exhaust system of the car, the exhaust flap shifted. It consists of an outer and an inner part that is directly in the exhaust pipe, and because of the displacement, it began to rub against the metal and this sound appeared. Here is how it looks inside (photo is not mine as i forget to make it)

Here is outside part

And this how it looks from inside

Guys from the service recommended just to delete that part from inside and thats it, what you think about that ? is that part needed or its just for ecology ?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #3
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d Xdrive G30

Hello! I have the same sound too, although I don’t have that valve visible from(inside) the chrome tips.

I think that a valve situated near the middle part of the car, makes the sound exactly how you described it. It controls back pressure and DPF regeneration and so on. So if it’s possible to grease it could be better. I have an appointment in two weeks and I’m gonna update this thread too.

Have a nice day!
Appreciate 1
Vlch8.00
      08-07-2023, 11:48 AM   #4
Vlch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbodieselRO View Post
Hello! I have the same sound too, although I don’t have that valve visible from(inside) the chrome tips.

I think that a valve situated near the middle part of the car, makes the sound exactly how you described it. It controls back pressure and DPF regeneration and so on. So if it’s possible to grease it could be better. I have an appointment in two weeks and I’m gonna update this thread too.

Have a nice day!

Hello , biturbodieselRO
Thank you for your reply

Sorry for confusing you, as i wrote above the photos is not mine, its just for example and for understanding how its built. This part which u can see is place around the rear tires level.

It consists of an outer and an inner part , the outer one we tried to grease by WD40 but the sound comes exactly from inner part and there is no way to get inside because its place inside the exhaust pipe and the guys from service told that on his opinion there is only one way to get there - to cut the pipe and then brew it. Then he said that if we`ll cut and it`ll not help, we will not be able to find the new one, so he recommended to take it off. Of course i didnt like the idea and this is not well good idea. Everything should work as it was manufactured. Now im waiting for the another part for coolant EGR system which must be replaced for free by official BMW campaig so that time ill come and ask what they recommend to do.. but i think as usual they will say to replace half of the car

Please keep me updated regarding your situation and if you solve that.
Have a nice and easy day

Last edited by Vlch; 08-07-2023 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Want to add photo for better description
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 03:15 PM   #5
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlch View Post
Hello , biturbodieselRO
Thank you for your reply

Sorry for confusing you, as i wrote above the photos is not mine, its just for example and for understanding how its built. This part which u can see is place around the rear tires level.

It consists of an outer and an inner part , the outer one we tried to grease by WD40 but the sound comes exactly from inner part and there is no way to get inside because its place inside the exhaust pipe and the guys from service told that on his opinion there is only one way to get there - to cut the pipe and then brew it. Then he said that if we`ll cut and it`ll not help, we will not be able to find the new one, so he recommended to take it off. Of course i didnt like the idea and this is not well good idea. Everything should work as it was manufactured. Now im waiting for the another part for coolant EGR system which must be replaced for free by official BMW campaig so that time ill come and ask what they recommend to do.. but i think as usual they will say to replace half of the car

Please keep me updated regarding your situation and if you solve that.
Have a nice and easy day
Hi! Yeah that’s the valve which we are talking about. I’ll update if we find a solution for the squeaky valve. Also, I think it’s pure bad engineering due to the fact that mine started to squeak out of the blue with no damages or anything else. Maybe the high temperatures from DPF regeneration and poor quality materials have to do something with the degradation over time. Moreover, the low sulphur diesel doesn’t help it either, sulphur having some lubrication properties.(diesel in my area has a max of 0.01% sulphur)

Same as you, I’m waiting for the EGR cooler to arrive…it seems like BMW is not serious about supplying parts. I’ve “ordered” mine almost 2 months ago and it didn’t arrive yet.

Have a nice day too!
Appreciate 1
Vlch8.00
      08-07-2023, 04:14 PM   #6
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

I think I'm going to get a Japanese (/Korean) car to drive on anything not tarmac. Is this part found on petrol cars too?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 04:36 PM   #7
Vlch
Rep

Quote:
Hi! Yeah that’s the valve which we are talking about. I’ll update if we find a solution for the squeaky valve. Also, I think it’s pure bad engineering due to the fact that mine started to squeak out of the blue with no damages or anything else. Maybe the high temperatures from DPF regeneration and poor quality materials have to do something with the degradation over time. Moreover, the low sulphur diesel doesn’t help it either, sulphur having some lubrication properties.(diesel in my area has a max of 0.01% sulphur)

Same as you, I’m waiting for the EGR cooler to arrive…it seems like BMW is not serious about supplying parts. I’ve “ordered” mine almost 2 months ago and it didn’t arrive yet.

Have a nice day too!
Hello, biturbodieselRO
Nice to hear reply from you!

Regarding the question, me also didnt hit or damaged this part, there are no any situations like this.. if you know there is road in historical part of cities and its built by stones, so i drived in the center of the city, in Warsaw and its coming to be like this.. i think its strange, because even right now the price of that car is around 50K (in our market) and.... u drive city center of big city and what? listen that? very silly .. i agree with you that compilation of the car is not good
Regarding the ecology, now im buying premium diesel in Poland and its looks really nice, also the even smallest drive is around 10-20km so i dont thing its regeneration issues.. its an issue with low quality parts ... i ordered this EGR part 2 months ago.. they said that its coming from Germany and thats why delay..

Please note very carefully , if you have this broken part, your car may be damaged by fire... if you didnt update software. There is an info from official guy from official dealer. The issue is placed in coolant system of EGR system and if its becaming so warm, it may start burning.. and your car will not make any errors or norifications like this.. for this you need update software to the lates version (free dealer BMW campaing) and replace that part. Software update activating the termometr on the engine side and when the car is overheated its disabling an engine.

one more question which may not be connected to this, do you have strange sound when your car stay ? and its disappear when you scroll the direction of the weels ? like vibration..official said that its normal work

Last edited by Vlch; 08-07-2023 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 04:45 PM   #8
Vlch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
I think I'm going to get a Japanese (/Korean) car to drive on anything not tarmac. Is this part found on petrol cars too?
Its just my point of view, but i dont recommend to buy from Japan, from what i know for any market like Europe, Japan, USA, its diffrent cover of car bodies and they are based on climat there.. Im living in Ukraine and a lot of cars coming from USA auctions and... they are dying here much faster then staying in USA on auctions places.. because they were manufactured for one climat and market, and now they come to vey hidratated country and in 1/2 of year they are dying or startin g having issues with body

In general if anyways you choose between disel or petrol. Petrol is much more cheeper and not stable (if you F**K the car every day in service) and diesel is lower price (in the meaning of daily use) but any service cost a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 11:40 PM   #9
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Its just my point of view, but i dont recommend to buy from Japan, from what i know for any market like Europe, Japan, USA, its diffrent cover of car bodies and they are based on climat there.. Im living in Ukraine and a lot of cars coming from USA auctions and... they are dying here much faster then staying in USA on auctions places.. because they were manufactured for one climat and market, and now they come to vey hidratated country and in 1/2 of year they are dying or startin g having issues with body

In general if anyways you choose between disel or petrol. Petrol is much more cheeper and not stable (if you F**K the car every day in service) and diesel is lower price (in the meaning of daily use) but any service cost a lot.
we don't make cars where i live. buy from either Japan, Korea, Euro or USA

the Subaru and Toyota cars i have owned just works. drive it anywhere and trash them and they still work. my BMWs i only drive them on tarmac, don't want to risk any problems.

not sure what you recommend for petrol or diesel, i've only owned petrol cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 08:53 AM   #10
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hello, biturbodieselRO
Nice to hear reply from you!

Regarding the question, me also didnt hit or damaged this part, there are no any situations like this.. if you know there is road in historical part of cities and its built by stones, so i drived in the center of the city, in Warsaw and its coming to be like this.. i think its strange, because even right now the price of that car is around 50K (in our market) and.... u drive city center of big city and what? listen that? very silly .. i agree with you that compilation of the car is not good
Regarding the ecology, now im buying premium diesel in Poland and its looks really nice, also the even smallest drive is around 10-20km so i dont thing its regeneration issues.. its an issue with low quality parts ... i ordered this EGR part 2 months ago.. they said that its coming from Germany and thats why delay..

Please note very carefully , if you have this broken part, your car may be damaged by fire... if you didnt update software. There is an info from official guy from official dealer. The issue is placed in coolant system of EGR system and if its becaming so warm, it may start burning.. and your car will not make any errors or norifications like this.. for this you need update software to the lates version (free dealer BMW campaing) and replace that part. Software update activating the termometr on the engine side and when the car is overheated its disabling an engine.

one more question which may not be connected to this, do you have strange sound when your car stay ? and its disappear when you scroll the direction [...]
I have my EGR updated and there is no high risk of fire. Please note that, the current EGR has 15 years of guarantee.
Appreciate 1
Vlch8.00
      08-08-2023, 05:26 PM   #11
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have my EGR updated and there is no high risk of fire. Please note that, the current EGR has 15 years of guarantee.
Do you mean when the car is out of warranty the EGR remains under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 12:32 AM   #12
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean when the car is out of warranty the EGR remains under warranty?
Hi! Yes. If you are on your 2nd EGR(KORENS) it has 15 years of guarantee against any damages caused by the EGR itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:10 AM   #13
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hi! Yes. If you are on your 2nd EGR(KORENS) it has 15 years of guarantee against any damages caused by the EGR itself.
do the Petrol cars have this EGR thing?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 07:35 AM   #14
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
do the Petrol cars have this EGR thing?
They have an EGR but the system is much more simple.
The emissions regulations are the culprit for our diesels and that’s why recently at least in my opinion gasoline engine cars are more reliable than diesels.

Edit: take a look at a b58 and a b57 and you’ll see that the b58 is much more shorter than the b57, due to the fact that it doesn’t have the complex EGR system in the front of the engine like the diesels(b57) do. Even though, the block and valve case are almost identical by raw dimensions, the extra clutter of the diesel engine makes it longer by 10-15cm at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 03:35 PM   #15
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
They have an EGR but the system is much more simple. .
is there a site that explains this? i have read a lot about diesel cars having their inlet manifold clog up with soot due to EGR - where as petrol have intake valves clog up with a different version of soot but are petrols also at risk of the intake manifold soot clog or not?

confused

PS i don't plan to modify the system as i don't want any problems, happy with cleaning soot - it seems like we will soon all commute in EVs and my gas cars will be a weekend toy.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 03:43 AM   #16
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
is there a site that explains this? i have read a lot about diesel cars having their inlet manifold clog up with soot due to EGR - where as petrol have intake valves clog up with a different version of soot but are petrols also at risk of the intake manifold soot clog or not?

confused

PS i don't plan to modify the system as i don't want any problems, happy with cleaning soot - it seems like we will soon all commute in EVs and my gas cars will be a weekend toy.
Yeah. If you search on the internet or bimmerpost for “b58 tehnical training documents” you can research a little bit. The same for b57

The thing with gas engines is that they don’t produce as much soot as diesel engines. The EGR in gas engines has a lower impact on the soot production compared to the diesel engines. However, GDI engines tend to accumulate soot in the valve ports due to the fact that gas is no longer sprayed onto the valve, but directly inside the cylinder, like in diesel engines. Some gas engines from some manufacturers have dual injection(port and direct) thus the carbon deposits are greatly reduced in the valve ports.

The things with EGR, swirl flaps and inlet manifolds are very vast. In diesel engines, the EGR has two parts, a low pressure(after the DPF from which hot-but colder-air comes, but it’s really CLEAN of soot) and a high pressure part which comes directly from the exhaust manifold(hot air, a lot of soot etc) which can easily damage the EGR cooler, the inlet manifold and so on. The latter is involved in fires due to the fact that soot can self ignite from the high temperatures inside the EGR cooler, it can melt parts of the plastic intake manifold or clog up the manifold, thus all the recalls and bs with fires in BMW’s…also a sign of poor maintenance and poor diesel quality.

In gas engines, EGR is smaller, simpler(no need for a cooler most of the times) and the soot levels are lower. It mainly has a job to heat up faster the engine when cold, and when stationary/idling to better control the emissions.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 04:39 AM   #17
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

excellent!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 08:04 AM   #18
Vlch
Rep

Resolved

Good day everyone

The issue with strange noise was resolved. Thank you guys for sharing your minds and ideas.

Sharing with you want it was and maybe it`ll be helpfull for anyone else

As already mentioned above, the sound was heard exactly from the rear part of the bottom of the car, namely from the exhaust system.

Inside the exhaust, almost at the very end, there is a flap that regulates the exhaust and is responsible for a number of other issues. This flap is located inside the exhaust, and from the outside it is controlled by a small electric motor that opens and closes it as needed. The connection between the flap and the motor is made with the help of a small U-shaped metal part and a small spring that serves to return to the initial position. Well, in my case, it was this spring that broke, due to which, in fact, this metal flap simply "dangled" in the exhaust, creating this noise.

At the official dealer, they offered to simply replace part of the exhaust and the price for it is 2,500 dollars for parts + work.

So, without thinking for a long time, I went to another service and they quickly and simply helped to deal with it and solve that for 100 dollars
The solution was as follows, to fix the flap in the maximum open position with the help of a pin and to disconnect this U-shaped metal part that connects the electric motor and the flap itself. In this way, the car continues to think that everything is working properly, does not issue any errors due to the diagnostic, but at the same time the exhaust valve itself is constantly open and does not create annoying sounds.

As far as I managed to research this issue, this problem is very common and occurs even on very low mileage, on gasoline and diesel cars and not only in BMW, but also in Mercedes and Audi, where the solutions are practically the same.

Some people solve this issue programmatically or simply remove the necessary fuse that is responsible for adjusting this valve in the exhaust, but with all such solutions, the problem is that the car will give an error during diagnostics, thats why we choosed option described above.

Here is also some links on youtube with similar situation and solutions:

Appreciate 0