BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board got hit from behind by a uninsured Illegal...

06-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
tankus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

got hit from behind by a uninsured Illegal...

Quick question, got hit tonight buy a lady that was pregnant, uninsured, and Illegal in the States. In a 20 year old chevy pick up. For some reason i talked to her and walked away. Being English, living in America I know how hard it was for me to legally be here.. Hence my instinct to leave her and go about my way.
I digress, but my question is this. I have a 08 128i in Jet back. The bumper is scratched enough that i have to replace. It is however not bad enough that any of the frame is bent. In fact it all lines up perfect. where is the best place to buy a new OEM bumper? Barring in mind Im gonna pay out of pocket for this to save this women alot of hassle...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Have you checked the underside of the car yet? At least my advice would be to make sure that you check the whole rear undercarraige and make sure that there is no damage whatsoever.

Have you tried the dealer yet or checked online for prices?
      06-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
You are too nice.

Try http://www.unitedbmwonline.com/

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankus View Post
Quick question, got hit tonight buy a lady that was pregnant, uninsured, and Illegal in the States. In a 20 year old chevy pick up. For some reason i talked to her and walked away. Being English, living in America I know how hard it was for me to legally be here.. Hence my instinct to leave her and go about my way.
I digress, but my question is this. I have a 08 128i in Jet back. The bumper is scratched enough that i have to replace. It is however not bad enough that any of the frame is bent. In fact it all lines up perfect. where is the best place to buy a new OEM bumper? Barring in mind Im gonna pay out of pocket for this to save this women alot of hassle...
Ebay usually has the cheapest bumpers.

You may want to report it to your insurance anyways to protect yourself. It happened to my mom recently, she was driving through an intersection when it was green for her and someone ran a red light and basically T boned her. The other lady was uninsured with no drivers license and driving her child to soccer practice. It was all early in the morning at 6am so no witnesses. So given that the lady has no insurance or a drivers license my mom just paid her own deductible and handled it herself.

Now a few months later my mom has learned that the lady who ran the red is accusing my mom of running the red and wants to sue my moms insurance company to get medical bills paid for and etc. And now her insurance company is on my moms back asking for a sworn statement / testifying and etcccc. It all turns into a big headache. If I were you I would just report it to your insurance and make sure she signs off saying it was her fault or have a police report saying it is her fault.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
devet14
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Roadster '02 M3 '72 Bav

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I came here expecting a ton of hatred but I'm actually pleasantly surprised.

You're a good man. Hope you get that bumper fixed soon. G/L
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
tankus
Private
Rep

thanks all. I didnt even get her number. After all its a bumper. And i have a greencard stashed in my wallet. the most precious piece of plastic i own. I just couldn't turn this women in. And to any Americans that reply to this slating immigrants, thats not my intent. Just to explain what happened and get some advice on replacement bumper.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
i expected this thread to be very different. your a good man.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #8
azndunkaddict3d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i coupe

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
GerryL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i with PPK- Space Grey

Actually until the bumper cover is removed, you do not actually know the extent of damage. Under most bumper covers is often a hard plastic foam or egg crate section whose purpose is impact absorbtion. It is a one time deal though and if that is compressed or damaged, (the cover may have come back out to its original state) you will have less protection the next time when you may just need the impact reduction much more. Until a shop looks underneath, you can not be sure that the damage is just on the surface.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I dunno - I have mixed emotions on this. t's all well and good that you were so charitable to her, but the end result is that we still have someone uninsured, who clearly ain't the best driver, running around putting people's financial futures in jeopardy, with no accountability. Sure, the other driver's insurance will pay if she can't, but if she causes a major accident, and the other driver isn't adequately insured, then they'll spend the rest of their lives paying for her mistake. Not sure that's so fair.

And before you jump on me, let me say that I'm an equal employment opportunity lawyer, so I do know a thing or 2 about diversity. And I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about illegal immigrants, because there are so many pros and cons on each side of the debate.

I just think that being charitable in this case does lead to potential problems for the next person she hits.
      07-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
My wife's Buick got hit in the back by a Chevy Blazer while she was stopped at a traffic light. The Blazer driver had no drivers license, no insurance, no seat belts on the kids. As soon as the cops found that we had uninsured motorist insurance they let her go without a ticket. I tried to get the cops to enforce to law, but got threatened by the cops. We got an accident report from the cops that said that the Blazer driver was clearly at fault, but was not given a ticket. Our insurance company wanted to frame it.

My wife's 328xiT got tapped in the back at a light. She didn't see any damage so they didn't exchange papers. In the morning you could clearly see the imprint from the license plate bolts in the bumper cover. Too late now.

I got dinged in the back of my 3.0CS by a 20-something. I called the cops and she told them that she was distracted by the baseball game. When it came time sign the paperwork her parents showed up and changed everything. Her insurance company was incredibly cooperative and covered everything.

My 325iS got hit in the back at a light by a Hertz employee driving a Hertz car. Hertz called and said that their own body shop would repair it and they would give me a rental. I dropped it off at the local BMW dealer's body shop.

I am always concerned about someone changing their story and trying to sue. I always call the cops and get an accident report. I also note the license plates of cars that were at the scene. You never know when you might need a witness.

Check your tow ring cover to make sure that it is firmly in place. It is very common for them to fall out after a slight ding, and they are costly to replace.

Last edited by m_thompson; 07-01-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
I dunno - I have mixed emotions on this. t's all well and good that you were so charitable to her, but the end result is that we still have someone uninsured, who clearly ain't the best driver, running around putting people's financial futures in jeopardy, with no accountability. Sure, the other driver's insurance will pay if she can't, but if she causes a major accident, and the other driver isn't adequately insured, then they'll spend the rest of their lives paying for her mistake. Not sure that's so fair.

And before you jump on me, let me say that I'm an equal employment opportunity lawyer, so I do know a thing or 2 about diversity. And I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about illegal immigrants, because there are so many pros and cons on each side of the debate.

I just think that being charitable in this case does lead to potential problems for the next person she hits.
+1 on this... Also you most likely need to replace the bumper shocks.
      07-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
One of the cons of living in Texas, so many illegals driving POSs around without insurance.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
jimmy1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i sedona Red

time for 135 bumper!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
tankus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1990 View Post
time for 135 bumper!
Was just thinking that! Where would one go to get one at the best price?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

You need to take off the bumper cover. I was rearended 2 years ago with the only visible damage being a small hole in my bumper.

Behind that bumper is a beam attached to the chassis by two big shocks, those shocks need to be replaced after every use.

turned out that my no visible damage became $7000 in damage.

Just warning you, these cars are expensive to fix

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #17
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

^^^This
Seriously, I would have it evaluated at the dealer. There is no such thing as a simple fix on these cars. By shortcutting, you could really be comprimising something that could end up hurting you.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
That sucks! We have the same problem with uninsured motorists here in Chicago. Do you have coverage for uninsured motorists ? Maybe it would be a good idea...I feel for you since you are a decent person...good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't want to hate on illegals here but I have to get this straight. You worked really hard and put up with a lot of crap to be legal here. Your green card is your most prized possession but you're going to let someone that came here illegally, cant follow ANY of the required laws go free when they wrong you? You're not too nice, you're just a fool. Any accident, no matter how small, no matter who is involved needs a police report. Without it, it's her word against yours and since you're legal and insured guess who gets to foot the bill all the damages?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
OT- but you're NOT helping the woman or society.

She needs to:

1. Come to the U.S. legally or not come at all

2. Learn to drive properly, safely and get a driver's license

3. NOT operate an uninsured vehicle

4. Take personal responsibility for her actions

Supporting this woman's violations of numerous laws is a bad choice and is likely to create more crime and problems in the U.S. - which I and all tax payers end up paying for. Those who came to the U.S. legally take this type of situation as a real slap in the face, as they should.

Agreed.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #21
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Just ask her cousin to steal one for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #22
SteDevote
Recovered M3 User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i Coupe

Talking

Quote:
Was just thinking that! Where would one go to get one at the best price?
I'd start with your dealer in Plano. May not be as bad as you think. Also, they'll be able to tell if there is more damage.

If you didn't get her number you can report it to your insurance co and get it covered under your uninusred/under insured motorist part of your policy.

Similar happened to me. The police had the uninsured motorist's car in the impound and still got covered by my insurance.

Even if you did get her info, it might not even be correct. I'd report it just so the police have your side of the story first.

My tuppence.
Appreciate 0