E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I Am A Beaten Man - No Modding for Me

07-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #23
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenon53 View Post
^^^The problem with solution 3 is if BMWNA need to see your DME your screwed.

I face this same dilemma except I also paid to CPO the car. It's an 09 with 10500 miles and a long warranty. You are lucky because you can go Dinan stage 2 if you aren't CPO'ed. Go get whatever exhaust and intake you want and learn how to install them, it's easy. Whenever you have to go to the dealership remove them and put the stock parts on, or you can pay a shop to do it for you. The BMW performance exhaust is really nice though.
What does CPO have to do with Dinan Stage 2? Mine is CPO and the same dealer I bought it from installed my Dinan, no questions asked, no warranty hassles. As for the cost of the BMW performance exhaust, it's $1300 or thereabout from Tischer. Again, it's more costly than some others, but you'll never get any backtalk from a good dealer. I'd recommend you find another dealer - that's really what this entire warranty issue is about. The techs and the SAs follow dealership policy or lose their jobs, so it's not them personally.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #24
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
just do it lol
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #25
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post

And now here you come, with some aftermarket part, not engineered by BMW, and not installed by BMW, and expect BMW to uphold the warranty. Once you've added a non BMW part to your car the condition of the car is now out of BMW's control, and they are, based on sound business reasons, not going to honor the warranty. To top it off, BMW tells you this in the warranty language they provide when you purchase the car, which you agree to when you purchase the car. And you have an issue with it?
I agree with you to a certain extent, but it goes both ways. Enthusiasts trying to get away with removable chips and stuff, and BMW (for example) trying to get away with voiding wheel bearings because you installed aftermarket 19" that aren't BMW wheels (even though the wheels in question in this case were lighter than BMW 19s). I've seen this become an issue, luckily eventually the work got done, but it was a hassle when it shouldn't have been. There are reasonable and unreasonable practices on both sides, so I understand giving the enthusiast a hassle when it is warranted (no pun intended), but dealers and BMW are certainly not innocent of "trying to pull a fast one" either
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I agree with you to a certain extent, but it goes both ways. Enthusiasts trying to get away with removable chips and stuff, and BMW (for example) trying to get away with voiding wheel bearings because you installed aftermarket 19" that aren't BMW wheels (even though the wheels in question in this case were lighter than BMW 19s). I've seen this become an issue, luckily eventually the work got done, but it was a hassle when it shouldn't have been. There are reasonable and unreasonable practices on both sides, so I understand giving the enthusiast a hassle when it is warranted (no pun intended), but dealers and BMW are certainly not innocent of "trying to pull a fast one" either
Yeah, I understand that, and I switched to Non RFT's on 18" wheels at 22K and was worried about wheel bearing claims too. But the Dealer is an Agent for BMW, and it is their job to minimize warranty work back to BMW. Car dealers get graded by the manufacturer on how well false warranty claims are rejected; it's just the way the auto industry works. Having non BMW parts on your car just gives the Dealer an easy way to reject a warranty claim. Having an aftermarket tune, intake, exhaust, etc is just asking for trouble. If the Dealer bills BMW for supposed warranty work, and BMW determines it was not a warranty related issue, the Dealer is the one stuck with the bill, not BMW. How do you think the Dealer is going to view all warranty claims?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Go with BMW Performance parts and you can spend $15.000 in mods and years of life modding the car, and your warranty will not be touched
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I understand that, and I switched to Non RFT's on 18" wheels at 22K and was worried about wheel bearing claims too. But the Dealer is an Agent for BMW, and it is their job to minimize warranty work back to BMW. Car dealers get graded by the manufacturer on how well false warranty claims are rejected; it's just the way the auto industry works. Having non BMW parts on your car just gives the Dealer an easy way to reject a warranty claim. Having an aftermarket tune, intake, exhaust, etc is just asking for trouble. If the Dealer bills BMW for supposed warranty work, and BMW determines it was not a warranty related issue, the Dealer is the one stuck with the bill, not BMW. How do you think the Dealer is going to view all warranty claims?
My point is that no matter how the system works, you shouldn't have to worry about either party pulling some bullshit to void your warranty on something. Considering BMW sells heavy RFTs on wheels up to 19" for the E9x, changing to a setup that actually reduces the strain placed on the wheel bearings should not be grounds for voiding your warranty, and at many dealerships it's not. Your best bet is to find a dealer who respects your business and doesn't fight you tooth and nail trying to void your warranty for stupid things
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #29
Ofmalik
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

It sounds like you enjoy being beaten?
      07-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #30
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Definitely BMW performance - I have the exhaust and air intake

No worries there. I am under warranty as well. I am a bit concerned about my BMS box, but the gains far outweigh my worries. If REALLY need be, I could put all back to "factory spec" with relative ease
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #31
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

To the OP, good move. This guy is shitting a brick http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410404
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #32
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 07 335i

I was the same way at first. then my brother showed me the ease of a jb+ tune on a reasonable setting, which makes the car so much faster. he also got a special code reader (the same one bmw service people use) to clear the codes before we go to the dealership. everytime we have a problem we act like idiots even though we know what's going on haha. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #33
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjbd24 View Post
I was the same way at first. then my brother showed me the ease of a jb+ tune on a reasonable setting, which makes the car so much faster. he also got a special code reader (the same one bmw service people use) to clear the codes before we go to the dealership. everytime we have a problem we act like idiots even though we know what's going on haha. good luck!
congratulations, you are no different than a scammer.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #34
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
What does CPO have to do with Dinan Stage 2? Mine is CPO and the same dealer I bought it from installed my Dinan, no questions asked, no warranty hassles. As for the cost of the BMW performance exhaust, it's $1300 or thereabout from Tischer. Again, it's more costly than some others, but you'll never get any backtalk from a good dealer. I'd recommend you find another dealer - that's really what this entire warranty issue is about. The techs and the SAs follow dealership policy or lose their jobs, so it's not them personally.

Dinan will not cover the CPO, only the original warranty. I spoke to Dinan directly about this as well as my dealership the day after I bought the car. Once the original warranty is over and something goes your dealership isn't going to be reimbursed from Dinan for the repair. I hope you got it in writing that it is covered by the CPO.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #35
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
I don't get it. BMW is in business to make profit for its shareholders. All businesses are in operation to make a profit for their owners. BMW builds machines, and through the random act of tolerance derivation, sometimes the machines break before they are expected to. BMW offers a warranty to offset this phenomenon so that its customers are happy with the expensive product they've just purchased. BMW spends millions of dollars each year addressing warranty claims because there is a cost benefit balance in building a car with a certain level of part longevity rather than spending more engineering and manufacturing resources (i.e. cost) to build a car with parts that last even longer.

And now here you come, with some aftermarket part, not engineered by BMW, and not installed by BMW, and expect BMW to uphold the warranty. Once you've added a non BMW part to your car the condition of the car is now out of BMW's control, and they are, based on sound business reasons, not going to honor the warranty. To top it off, BMW tells you this in the warranty language they provide when you purchase the car, which you agree to when you purchase the car. And you have an issue with it?

Maybe you need to get a job in an industry that sells something with a warranty and then you may better understand the issue.
While your point is valid and obvious, the sad part is that these things are usually taken to the extreme. The proper diagnosis is not really completed before the warranty is "void" because the aftermarket part "could" have caused a failure. My problem is, it appears from the reading I've done that you are guilty until proven innocent if you mod the car. My problem isn't with BMW...it's actually with arrogant and lazy SAs and crappy dealerships that don't want to diagnose problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #36
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

okay....so you're saying the service in your area is completely lacking (not uncommon). You bought a 50K car and you can't ENJOY it. Every morning you get in the car; you think something is going to happen......man, just get out of that if it's like that. Plenty of other cars out: Cayman S, some Audis, Mercedes, Infiniti....something like that. An incompetent service dept can leave a sick feeling in your stomach. Make the move.......but you may end up in the same scenario, but not likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
While your point is valid and obvious, the sad part is that these things are usually taken to the extreme. The proper diagnosis is not really completed before the warranty is "void" because the aftermarket part "could" have caused a failure. My problem is, it appears from the reading I've done that you are guilty until proven innocent if you mod the car. My problem isn't with BMW...it's actually with arrogant and lazy SAs and crappy dealerships that don't want to diagnose problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #37
yabcoder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

you are still going to jb3 your car i hope.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #38
TranceR
Rep
Drives: 2005 civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
+1 on BMW Performance parts. Suspension is great for DD.

Maybe get a JB+ set at low boost for reasonably safe power increase.

Extreme performance non-rfts.
any idea when they will release the performance suspension for the 2011 coupe? i can't find it on the bmw performance site
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #39
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenon53 View Post
Dinan will not cover the CPO, only the original warranty. I spoke to Dinan directly about this as well as my dealership the day after I bought the car. Once the original warranty is over and something goes your dealership isn't going to be reimbursed from Dinan for the repair. I hope you got it in writing that it is covered by the CPO.
As I mentioned before, I've had out-of-original-warranty CPO cars with Dinan, and never had any issues getting things repaired. That and the fact that with Dinan, I'm not worried about any engine problems like I would if I were pushing the engine beyond its design limits like some of the non-Dinan modifications do. Steve Dinan has been tuning BMWs for 31 years and when he designs a tune, it's based on years of insight and technical expertise gained from real competitive racing, where dependability/engine life is as important as all-out power. My dealership doesn't view Dinan software as "voiding the warranty". Maybe that's because they're owned by Penske, who has been part of the racing scene for years and isn't fixated on taking advantage of customers who install well-engineered and BMW-approved modifications.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #40
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabcoder View Post
you are still going to jb3 your car i hope.
No, I have Dinan S2.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #41
dakman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

I was like you when I got my Audi A4 but the turbo lag and the thought of getting another 39+ hp from a chip was too appealing. 6 months after owning the car - APR chipped and a short shifter that made the car a joy to drive. The priceless view of the Audi A4 guy's look of disbelief in my rear mirror as I pulled him with the supposedly identical car was worth every penny. The car went from being fun to drive to pure joy. I had the car for 5 years and never once was hassled by the dealer.

Four months after buying my new BMW 328i, I installed a short shifter and H&R lowering springs. I went to the dealer last week and the guys there were complimenting my car. I told them, "Oh yeah, I love the H&R springs, they really make the car look good."

I say enjoy your car. At the end of the day, BMW has to prove that the mod you did broke something. Tough thing to prove. I might blow a shock and I'd be willing to out of pocket that for the extra joy of getting the car the way I want. If I blow a shock, then it might be time to upgrade to coilovers. :-) Find a dealer that is mod friendly, be good to your service adviser and the service manager and you will be all set. I think you'll find most dealers aren't hard asses about it unless you are adding 100 HP or something crazy.

Best of luck on whatever you decide but 4 years is waaaaay too long to wait for a mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #42
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
As I mentioned before, I've had out-of-original-warranty CPO cars with Dinan, and never had any issues getting things repaired. That and the fact that with Dinan, I'm not worried about any engine problems like I would if I were pushing the engine beyond its design limits like some of the non-Dinan modifications do. Steve Dinan has been tuning BMWs for 31 years and when he designs a tune, it's based on years of insight and technical expertise gained from real competitive racing, where dependability/engine life is as important as all-out power. My dealership doesn't view Dinan software as "voiding the warranty". Maybe that's because they're owned by Penske, who has been part of the racing scene for years and isn't fixated on taking advantage of customers who install well-engineered and BMW-approved modifications.
That's because Dinan has it's own warranty. It's not up to the dealer. If it was approved by BMW than BMW would still honor the drivetrain warranty.
      07-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #43
dakman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Just saw your post about Dinan S2 - I think the Dinan mods void your engine warranty with BMW. To make sure you are covered, Dinan actually covers you for the 4 years 50,000 miles. Waay back, BMW used to cover it but they had a parting of ways. I can't imagine Dinan can be too mod unfriendly. I'd check out the warranty and if it is covered by Dinan, give them a call to see if they are okay with the additional mods you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #44
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

According to Dinan's own website, in the FAQ section, they provide a 2 year warranty and unlimited miles.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0