BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 issues?

10-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #133
Multown
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530I G30

Very happy owner of a 530I G30 sport line for one year now, and have hat none issues so far. Only thing that annoys me are when the trunk is opened with a lot of rain drops on it, the water will hit the back window and some of it will run into the trunk itself. The “guttter” simply seems too small.
But driving this car always make me smile 😊
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #134
g30_Mike
Rep
Drives: g30 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieUK View Post
I had exactly the same issue. Revered car into a space in multi-story car park. Locked car as I walked away, and slipped keys into my pocket. Tailgate opened and hit rear wall of car park and damaged the paint on the bottom edge of the tailgate... I have had 3 other BMW Touring in the past, and none have ever done this before, so assume the key fob is more sensitive?
unlucky Budgie. i had an F30 which boot open feature did not seem as sensitive as the G30.

i expected there would be an option to switch it off in idrive; unfortunately cannot find the option.

i also find the range it will open the boot from is huge, which is very worrying.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #135
Busatomppa
Rep
Drives: F01 730dA -12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
One more thing I noticed sometimes when I get into the car there is some kind of mechanical screetch. It's hard to describe something like pump noise for a sec or two, I thought it was handbrake or some pedal filling up I don't know. It feels like it's coming from underneath the steering wheel area, anyone experienced something like that ? It happens once in a while. At first I thought it would occur when I put my foot on the brake, but today I just got in and it made the noise.
I get that too. I just assumed that it was the parking brake.
Hi! And greetings from Finland!
I got my factory ordered G30 530e M-Sport yesterday. I noticed last evening that heater doesn't blow warm air at all. Today I got heat to cabin for a few minutes and then only cold again. Outdoor temperature is about 5 degrees so it's quite cold ride at this moment. Upper temperature through iDrive is at max but no affect. I got time for check up/maintenance for monday morning at dealership and hopefully they can fix that problem.
Have some one you face this kind of problem with new car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #136
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busatomppa View Post
I got my factory ordered G30 530e M-Sport yesterday. I noticed last evening that heater doesn't blow warm air at all. Today I got heat to cabin for a few minutes and then only cold again. Outdoor temperature is about 5 degrees so it's quite cold ride at this moment. Upper temperature through iDrive is at max but no affect. I got time for check up/maintenance for monday morning at dealership and hopefully they can fix that problem.
Have you tried going into idrive and selecting warm air max setting?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #137
Busatomppa
Rep

Yes. No affect...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 03:38 AM   #138
asmith17
Rep
Drives: G30 540

Got mine last Saturday, 540M Sport. All good except 2 issues. Firstly the thing is venting fumes and after a 2 hour drive on Friday I could still taste it 14hours later. Hopefully leaving the windows open today will solve it. Secondly, opened the sunroof and a few minutes later I noticed a crack in the windscreen. Didn’t hear anything hit it and no stone chip visible. Any ideas what might have caused that? Jolly annoying. Otherwise all good,
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 05:12 AM   #139
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Re the fumes, I think there is a certain amount of it due to the glues and materials used, I found the interior glass needed a clean soon after buying. This no doubt the new car smell which I wish they could bottle as I would buy some!
As for the crack in the windshield that just sounds like bad luck. Can you see a stone chip that may have been the cause. If not perhaps thermal shock?? Not sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:05 AM   #140
asmith17
Rep
Drives: G30 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Re the fumes, I think there is a certain amount of it due to the glues and materials used, I found the interior glass needed a clean soon after buying. This no doubt the new car smell which I wish they could bottle as I would buy some!
As for the crack in the windshield that just sounds like bad luck. Can you see a stone chip that may have been the cause. If not perhaps thermal shock?? Not sure.
Yes hopefully the fumes will vent, but wow very strong. Regarding the crack. It is interesting, as I can’t detect any chip at all and it starts from the top edge. Timing wise it correlates with opening the sunroof for a few minutes at less than 20mph. Easy fix eventually but annoying and will be interested to see what bmw make of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 07:29 AM   #141
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Can agree with the interior glass needing a clean. Normally caused by plasticiser migrating from the plastic trim, but this car is the worse i have ever experienced and i really find it difficult to get a completely clean windscreen, even after using numerous cleaning methods.

One other minor issue is i cant get the steering wheel as low as i like with the seat in a low position
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #142
Saftlad
Registered
Rep
Drives: G31 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by g30_Mike View Post
unlucky Budgie. i had an F30 which boot open feature did not seem as sensitive as the G30.

i expected there would be an option to switch it off in idrive; unfortunately cannot find the option.

i also find the range it will open the boot from is huge, which is very worrying.
You can set the action of each of the buttons in the iDrive.

Check under My Vehicle -> Vehicle Settings -> Doors/Key

You can then set the tailgate button to open the rear window and unlock the rear doors instead of opening the boot. Tailgate can be set to switch on the home lights. It does mean that you need to open the boot with handle, but that's no biggy to me.

You can also set the range that the boot opens, in the same place

You've probably already tried this though and it wasn't what you needed?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #143
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Mine is a G31 March 2017 build with 18k miles on now. The only issue I've had is with the cam shaft sensor. The symptoms for this were an occasional hesitation when accelerating, but more importantly a long crank when starting and also failing to start a few times!

Love the car though and apart from the above its been faultless so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #144
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith17 View Post
Got mine last Saturday, 540M Sport. All good except 2 issues. Firstly the thing is venting fumes and after a 2 hour drive on Friday I could still taste it 14hours later. Hopefully leaving the windows open today will solve it. Secondly, opened the sunroof and a few minutes later I noticed a crack in the windscreen. Didn’t hear anything hit it and no stone chip visible. Any ideas what might have caused that? Jolly annoying. Otherwise all good,
Hmmm. Is this just off-gassing or adhesives and materials, or it is possibly fumes from engine operation or fuel that might be dangerous? I would certainly pop into the dealer to have them check it out. As to a crack in the windshield, I would also go to the dealer. In the C7 Corvette world we have seen instances of windshields cracking due to a factory installation problem that were covered under warranty. If there is no obvious stone chip evident, I would suspect a stress crack related to original installation. There might be a TSB on it if it has been noticed a few times before. Good luck--I am due to take delivery of my own 540xi M Sport in a couple of weeks and I am hoping not to have such problems. --Bob

Last edited by Warp Ten; 10-30-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #145
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Heated seats take ages (10 mins) to get toasty.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #146
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

That's odd as mine heat up very quickly and actually become too hot for me as I end up turning them off soon after.
That's even in eco pro mode which is supposed to limit their power use.
I have mine set to switch in with 2 bars below 10c
Appreciate 1
Warp Ten670.50
      10-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #147
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
That's odd as mine heat up very quickly and actually become too hot for me as I end up turning them off soon after.
That's even in eco pro mode which is supposed to limit their power use.
I have mine set to switch in with 2 bars below 10c
Same here.

I normally switch it off within a minute or two. Granted, it seldom go below zero here, with normal winter temps around 2-6c in the mornings.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #148
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Agree. These are the hottest seats I have had and require turning down within minutes.
      10-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #149
g30_Mike
Rep
Drives: g30 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saftlad View Post
You can set the action of each of the buttons in the iDrive.

Check under My Vehicle -> Vehicle Settings -> Doors/Key

You can then set the tailgate button to open the rear window and unlock the rear doors instead of opening the boot. Tailgate can be set to switch on the home lights. It does mean that you need to open the boot with handle, but that's no biggy to me.

You can also set the range that the boot opens, in the same place

You've probably already tried this though and it wasn't what you needed?
Saftlad, just been out to check my idrive (mine is the latest updated version) i do not have that option within the Doors/Key section. mine is a saloon opposed to touring though.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #150
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Firstly the thing is venting fumes and after a 2 hour drive on Friday I could still taste it 14hours later. Hopefully leaving the windows open today will solve it.
Interesting. Had mine a month and every week, I've had to clean the inside of the windscreen because of milky/foggy deposits of c**p which I assume is plasticisers from the interior plastics. And it's not like it's warm in NW England at this time of year. An I have of course been breathing all this stuff in over the last 2000 miles as well. Yuk.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #151
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Heated seats take ages (10 mins) to get toasty.
Agree. Rubbish compared to the F10, which took about 2 - 3 mins. And - not related - I note the engine takes an age to warm up compared to my F10 as well. 4 miles in the F10 at an outside temp of 15C compared to 8 miles in the G30.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #152
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50D

So I've been trying to catch the screeching mechanical noise and ofcourse no luck so far. The two times I didn't have my phone recording the video while getting into the car it happened.

However I've been driving a bit after a few weeks of holidays and I do hear the little noise coming from my doors (as I mentioned before). They seem to wiggle as if they were not locked enough. Still can't determine if the other doors do the same but it's fairly annoying on nice quiet surface but with few bump here and there. Is that something I could bring to the dealership and get fixed under warranty or will they just laugh at me and my OCD ?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #153
Busatomppa
Rep

Heater issue solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busatomppa View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
One more thing I noticed sometimes when I get into the car there is some kind of mechanical screetch. It's hard to describe something like pump noise for a sec or two, I thought it was handbrake or some pedal filling up I don't know. It feels like it's coming from underneath the steering wheel area, anyone experienced something like that ? It happens once in a while. At first I thought it would occur when I put my foot on the brake, but today I just got in and it made the noise.
I get that too. I just assumed that it was the parking brake.
Problem solved. Car spend last week at dealership and today I got it back. I was told that there was one of five temerature sensors inside the car was giving wrong figures. While other was showing 1-3degrees one show almost 15degrees. They install all softwares again and it started to work! Now I finally get my new car and could start to enjoy about it!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:39 AM   #154
Bill530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:
Yes hopefully the fumes will vent, but wow very strong. Regarding the crack. It is interesting, as I can’t detect any chip at all and it starts from the top edge. Timing wise it correlates with opening the sunroof for a few minutes at less than 20mph. Easy fix eventually but annoying and will be interested to see what bmw make of it.
Hello, very sorry to hear about your windshield crack. I have had my G30 for about 4 months now, and I just had my windshield replaced. I heard a loud crack on the highway hit my windshield, and THOUGHT I found the impact area at passenger side eye-level area of windshield, and wiped away some white powdery residue due to the impact with the glass. I thought I got lucky. A few days later while drying my car after a wash, I noticed a large silver streak reflecting in the sun, tried desperately to wipe it away until I realized it was actually a crack...had spread to almost 12 inches. Called around and the consensus was it needed to be replaced. Loud crack on highway was cause, and actual location of impact was the black area of the windshield close to the hood, which made it difficult to detect, and spread too much and by then it was too late to fix with resin injection. Hopefully your case wasn't as bad as mine...find the impact and make sure...your wallet will thank you...cheers!
Appreciate 0