BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Calling all Ducati Superbike Owners..!

04-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #45
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This Winter has been stupid ridiculous. If Winter was a person I would beat the piss out of him/her. This Winter has limited the available time I have to ride before I head out to the track in May. It also has caused two major damages to my house. Cracks in my new concrete driveway which I had put in less than a year ago and a busted hose bib which ended up ruining the laminate floor....again this room was done by the same GC less than a year ago.

Anyways, who's doing the work on your suspension?

I also sent you a PM.
Heard that... Sorry to hear about the troubles around the house... Only 1 year, and this winter did a number on your upgrades :/... I agree that Mother Nature was schizophrenic this year, and so glad the snow's gone for good!

Where do you track? VIR? Summit Point? Would love to get some track time if I can . Got the gear ready, just need some experience!

As for suspension work - I'm thinking of going to Speed Cycle, or Cycle World in the Baltimore area. Haven't identified a dealer I like, so I'll be looking into it a bit more in the next couple of months. Any experience at either of these locations? Bike is from Coleman Powersports in Falls Church, and they also did my 600-750 mile service, but they're just too far away (and they also forgot to take off my SERV light after the service)
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtech E90 E83 View Post
Heard that... Sorry to hear about the troubles around the house... Only 1 year, and this winter did a number on your upgrades :/... I agree that Mother Nature was schizophrenic this year, and so glad the snow's gone for good!

Where do you track? VIR? Summit Point? Would love to get some track time if I can . Got the gear ready, just need some experience!

As for suspension work - I'm thinking of going to Speed Cycle, or Cycle World in the Baltimore area. Haven't identified a dealer I like, so I'll be looking into it a bit more in the next couple of months. Any experience at either of these locations? Bike is from Coleman Powersports in Falls Church, and they also did my 600-750 mile service, but they're just too far away (and they also forgot to take off my SERV light after the service)
Yeah. I've never been a Winter person and this season makes me hate Winter that much more. Still waiting on the GC to come back to address the driveway. I went ahead and did the plumbing repairs myself.

Anyways. I've been going to VIR and more specifically been doing the California Superbike School. I'm signed up again this year for the May sessions.

For the suspension work, you should also talk to MRP Motorsports. They're over on that side of MD. They're a really good group of guys. Only facility I could find in the area that can do major suspension work/repairs. Had an incident a long time ago where due to a drop I needed the front outer fork tubes straightened. They were able to do this work. They can dial in the suspension for you specifically while you're on the bike and do any number of suspension mods. They also go out to the various track days at Summit to do onsite suspension tuning/work.

I got my bike from Battley's. They've been pretty good to me and a few of them are also track junkies. Devin Battley regularly goes out to Summit and my salesman Sam takes his 1198S out all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #47
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Yeah. I've never been a Winter person and this season makes me hate Winter that much more. Still waiting on the GC to come back to address the driveway. I went ahead and did the plumbing repairs myself.

Anyways. I've been going to VIR and more specifically been doing the California Superbike School. I'm signed up again this year for the May sessions.

For the suspension work, you should also talk to MRP Motorsports. They're over on that side of MD. They're a really good group of guys. Only facility I could find in the area that can do major suspension work/repairs. Had an incident a long time ago where due to a drop I needed the front outer fork tubes straightened. They were able to do this work. They can dial in the suspension for you specifically while you're on the bike and do any number of suspension mods. They also go out to the various track days at Summit to do onsite suspension tuning/work.

I got my bike from Battley's. They've been pretty good to me and a few of them are also track junkies. Devin Battley regularly goes out to Summit and my salesman Sam takes his 1198S out all the time.
Cool stuff! Thanks for the advice, and the rec on MRP. Learn something new every day, and I'll def check them out

Just checked out that CSS@VIR, and wish I can go to one of those events. Stupid work schedule . But, got your PM!
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #48
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Did anyone hear about the accident on i-95 near O'donnel street on Thursday, 4/16? Anyone know what happened? Apparently, the motorcyclist was decapitated...? scary stuff...

edit: sorry, thought this was posted on the mid-atlantic section.
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #49
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Here's a couple pics of my first duck. A 2002 Troy Bayliss Replica. All the livery was under the clear coat of the carbon bodywork, and it only had 1000 miles on it.

It was even signed by Troy on the tank (under the clear coat).

I traded it straight across for a new 2012 Hypermotard sp1100 to the dealership near me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #50
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Here's a couple pics of my first duck. A 2002 Troy Bayliss Replica. All the livery was under the clear coat of the carbon bodywork, and it only had 1000 miles on it.

It was even signed by Troy on the tank (under the clear coat).

I traded it straight across for a new 2012 Hypermotard sp1100 to the dealership near me.
Any more pictures of the replica? Is that a 996 or 998?

Also, Hypermotard! Cool bike. What prompted you to go from a very aggressive stance to a neutral/more-comfortable stance? And, any pictures of the Hyper?
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #51
Coxey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32

Here is my Ducati, 20 years old next month but still looks iconic at least in my opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #52
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I lucked out and bought the Bayliss rep off a guy who was selling from a collection.

I was kind of scared to be the one to put the first scratch in it, so I didn't ride it much. It had 2000 miles on it when I traded it.

I went for the Hyper because while the 998 was awesome, WAY more bike than I could handle as a rider, it was super uncomfortable, and wasn't happy unless going above 50 or 60mph. It burned my legs at stops to.
It was a gem, only 150 made it to the states, it was cool to own but spent most of the time looking cool in the garage.

The dealership wanted it (it's still there on the showroom floor) and offered a great trade, so I went with practical, and chose the Hyper. BEST BIKE EVER!

The Hyper had an all-day comfortable riding position, had huge torque, 2 valve/air cooled could sit in traffic all day, and was actually faster on the street and backroads than the superbike. Total FUN bike! It was badass, and while new, and expensive, I didn't covet it and care about it like I did my Bayliss Rep. The Bayliss Rep now is being enjoyed by everyone, on display on the showroom floor of the dealership. That's not a bike you ride, it's abike you collect.

Unfortunately, I hit sand in the road, resulting in a wicked highside, sent me flying and the bike cartwheeling, broke both of us up really bad. I broke bones, I took the insurance money and held off on replacing the Hyper.
I had a cool Harley Shovelhead that I built into a bobber, and after recovering from the crash I found I just didn't ride that much any more, so I sold it and got back into cars.

Presently I have a 72 Pantera that I'm working on and enjoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtech E90 E83 View Post
Any more pictures of the replica? Is that a 996 or 998?

Also, Hypermotard! Cool bike. What prompted you to go from a very aggressive stance to a neutral/more-comfortable stance? And, any pictures of the Hyper?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #53
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxey View Post
Here is my Ducati, 20 years old next month but still looks iconic at least in my opinion.
Couldn't agree more. Still beautiful.

Quote:
I lucked out and bought the Bayliss rep off a guy who was selling from a collection.

I was kind of scared to be the one to put the first scratch in it, so I didn't ride it much. It had 2000 miles on it when I traded it.

I went for the Hyper because while the 998 was awesome, WAY more bike than I could handle as a rider, it was super uncomfortable, and wasn't happy unless going above 50 or 60mph. It burned my legs at stops to.
It was a gem, only 150 made it to the states, it was cool to own but spent most of the time looking cool in the garage.

The dealership wanted it (it's still there on the showroom floor) and offered a great trade, so I went with practical, and chose the Hyper. BEST BIKE EVER!

The Hyper had an all-day comfortable riding position, had huge torque, 2 valve/air cooled could sit in traffic all day, and was actually faster on the street and backroads than the superbike. Total FUN bike! It was badass, and while new, and expensive, I didn't covet it and care about it like I did my Bayliss Rep. The Bayliss Rep now is being enjoyed by everyone, on display on the showroom floor of the dealership. That's not a bike you ride, it's abike you collect.

Unfortunately, I hit sand in the road, resulting in a wicked highside, sent me flying and the bike cartwheeling, broke both of us up really bad. I broke bones, I took the insurance money and held off on replacing the Hyper.
I had a cool Harley Shovelhead that I built into a bobber, and after recovering from the crash I found I just didn't ride that much any more, so I sold it and got back into cars.

Presently I have a 72 Pantera that I'm working on and enjoying.
Good stuff... Minus the mishap with sand. Broken up, but glad you got out alive. Assuming you were in a lean, caught traction, and got thrown off? Man, that's some scary stuff right there.

But, looks like you've got some great hobbies. Intrigued about the 72 Pantera! Do you have any pictures???

The 848 is definitely fun - at speed. Unfortunately, these superbikes are horrible for commuting, or just cruising through the city. At low speeds, this bike is a nightmare, and as you've said, not a comfortable ride for the all-day ride. But, love every minute...

For that "comfort" ride, I have a Honda Ruckus that I beat to the ground. I often find myself looking like a dork, leaning hard in my back/side yard trying to get my knees on the ground (on this little 48cc scooter), and WOT out of the turn - ripping grass out right under the tire. Definitely look like a moron, but ohhhhh is it fun!
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #54
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Here's a pic of my Pantera.

I got taken Big Time unfortunately. Bought it off a former president of the Pantera Owners Club of America, researched the seller, and the car, everyone said "solid car, go for it", and it IS a monster of a car. 650hp stroked 351 (to 408) Scat crank and rods, Ross pistons, ITB's with EFI.

Unfortunately, the seller drove the p!ss out of the engine, and failed to mention that a couple rockers had failed on him, sending needle bearings and steel bits everywhere. He abused this engine (lots of time over 8000 rpm's)

An hour into owning the car, I changed the oil, and it wouldn't start. Turned out a chunk of steel had locked up the oil pump. My changing the oil had wooshed some steel bits over the lip of the racing oil pan into the pickup, and when I went to start the engine it instantly sucked steel chunks into the oil pump, locking up the oil pump and distributor.

I was told the motor was fresh, and never had any issues EVER, and it DID run well, with HUGE power, but after calling him on the steel bits in the pan, he admitted to the failed rockers, said he thought he got all the bits out, said "sorry about that", and then texted me saying he wouldn't be available to help me any more with the car.

Presently I have rebuilt rockers and new valvesprings going in, hopefully that's all that's needed to get it back to reliable. Oil pressure is good.

If anything else goes bad, I'm just going to throw a cover over it, and save for a rebuild/new engine. Something detuned a little. This engine is literally a full blown sprint car engine, and it's at the end of it's service life.

Next year I'll be rebuilding the engine and possibly refreshing the gearbox, set it up for the long haul.

The car itself is sweet. I just got ripped off by the seller, who knew darn well what he was doing. He even misrepresented the car in the ads, saying it had parts in it that it didn't.

I'm over it though, it's my car now, so hopefully in a week or 2 it'll be running again, and I'll be enjoying the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #55
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Here's a pic of my Pantera.

I got taken Big Time unfortunately. Bought it off a former president of the Pantera Owners Club of America, researched the seller, and the car, everyone said "solid car, go for it", and it IS a monster of a car. 650hp stroked 351 (to 408) Scat crank and rods, Ross pistons, ITB's with EFI.

Unfortunately, the seller drove the p!ss out of the engine, and failed to mention that a couple rockers had failed on him, sending needle bearings and steel bits everywhere. He abused this engine (lots of time over 8000 rpm's)

An hour into owning the car, I changed the oil, and it wouldn't start. Turned out a chunk of steel had locked up the oil pump. My changing the oil had wooshed some steel bits over the lip of the racing oil pan into the pickup, and when I went to start the engine it instantly sucked steel chunks into the oil pump, locking up the oil pump and distributor.

I was told the motor was fresh, and never had any issues EVER, and it DID run well, with HUGE power, but after calling him on the steel bits in the pan, he admitted to the failed rockers, said he thought he got all the bits out, said "sorry about that", and then texted me saying he wouldn't be available to help me any more with the car.

Presently I have rebuilt rockers and new valvesprings going in, hopefully that's all that's needed to get it back to reliable. Oil pressure is good.

If anything else goes bad, I'm just going to throw a cover over it, and save for a rebuild/new engine. Something detuned a little. This engine is literally a full blown sprint car engine, and it's at the end of it's service life.

Next year I'll be rebuilding the engine and possibly refreshing the gearbox, set it up for the long haul.

The car itself is sweet. I just got ripped off by the seller, who knew darn well what he was doing. He even misrepresented the car in the ads, saying it had parts in it that it didn't.

I'm over it though, it's my car now, so hopefully in a week or 2 it'll be running again, and I'll be enjoying the car.
The car is unique; cool for sure, and can't say I've ever seen one on the road! Sucks about the troubles you had to go through, despite you doing your research... But, the sole fact that you're able to undertake such a project is impressive. One day, I hope to become as knowledgeable...

Post some more pictures of the car. It looks so cool, wheels look cool, and want to see what the engine bay, interior, and all that good stuff looks like! Piqued my interest - to say the least.

E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0