BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Decisions, decisions, decisions

05-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Alright, I am agonizing about my next car purchase and need to ask for some thoughts.

Most of us are car guys and gals here. Im 41, had all the posters on my walls and subscriptins to every car mag offered when I was a kid.

I don't make a ton of cash, but have saved enough to comfortably get back into an M. However with the, not yet released, M2 crashing my immediate M3 plans, I have had some time to look around. I cannot afford my childhood dream cars, except for 1.

My most current agonizing thoughts are:

Do M2 ED in May --- This would be my DD with an avg monthly pmt
Do M3 ED in May --- This would be my DD with an avg monthly pmt
or
Picking up a '95 - '00 Acura NSX. 30-60k miles with WP/TB service already complete. This could be an "investment" of some sorts too. I would also just lease an appliance like my current Toyota Corolla for a DD and save the NSX for nice days.

Anyone else just agonizing over the waiting???

thoughts all?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Personal thing, but I don't see any single car - even my favourite LFA, but that could also be a Carrera GT - as an investment. A car is always a cost, in this case the cost of a passion/hobby.

If you really like the NSX and want to keep it for ever because it is your favourite car, then go for it. If you change cars regularly (5-10 years), go for the BMW's with ED.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
An NSX should continue to hold its value very well so that would be the smarter purchase. It's also more exotic than the others mentioned. You could easily sell the NSX for the same price, if not more, five to ten years down the road whereas an M2 or M3 would have declined in value by 50% or more.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Personal thing, but I don't see any single car - even my favourite LFA, but that could also be a Carrera GT - as an investment. A car is always a cost, in this case the cost of a passion/hobby.
I was using the term "appreciate" loosely. I know 99.99% of cars are depriciable assets. BUT I really think the rate of depreciation will be slow for the NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
An NSX should continue to hold its value very well so that would be the smarter purchase. It's also more exotic than the others mentioned. You could easily sell the NSX for the same price, if not more, five to ten years down the road whereas an M2 or M3 would have declined in value by 50% or more.
I think it will hold its value pretty well. The only issue I have in selecting a NSX is, there are none around me. Except a yellow one at Marshal Goldman that is probably $100,000.

The ED M will be an easier and less stressful purchase, but I have 4-6 months to look around. A kid can dream
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
You've got a lot more than 4-6 months to look around if you're thinking about the M2...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

NSX and GTI is what I would do. But I wouldn't buy anything like that as an investment, buy it if you want to own one and drive one. There is no guarantee that it will appreciate at any significant rate unless it has a history or extremely low miles (<5k-10k).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
You've got a lot more than 4-6 months to look around if you're thinking about the M2...
Doesn't production start in November? I figured 4-6 months from now, we "should know" what the M2 will be...no?

My ultimate plans are an ED in May/June '16.
Appreciate 0