BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Traded in 3 for 2015 WRX

04-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Traded in 3 for 2015 WRX

First off i am really going to miss my BMW @159000 miles its been a long journey. I'll be back eventually.

How i came to subaru?

Well i snowboard alot for the past 5 years. I'm also military so when i bought my bmw 3 series 7 years ago i had no idea i would learn to snowboard and become addicted. My bimmer is rwd and was tough/embarrassing to get up the mountain at times but i ALWAYS made it. I'm proof winter tires are everything, i had continental DSW extreme contact $$$. When looking at replacing my car another 3 seemed easy to me just in AWD, however i wanted to try something different and WRX is really in a market of its own, till focus RS comes out, but even then i dont want to drive a focus, and i wanted a bigger back seat for my friends. Now let me say i am black and wow when i mention subaru, people are like "no more bimmer, benz, or bently? more like kia, hyundai, subaru" or worse they say wagon? with a mushed up face. I can't lie Subaru is querkie and unique and a brand i even ignored altogether, but its growing on me.

Impressions

I got manual and coming from my manual bimmer i stall alot. I'm still trying to find that medium to take off slow. There were not alot of videos on the nav but i can say the nav functions are frustrating and slow. Every 5 min i had a traffic alert when there was no traffic. Worst part of all is ipod playlists, because you can't scroll through the current playlist. Overall i'm glad i got the upgrade, just for the speakers. It was hard to tell from reading forums if they were good or not but i like them, i just needed good base, i did hear base sound system and it was just cardboard sounding with no base. The acceleration is crazy though i havn't seen full potential because of break in period, but you can do alot before 4k rpms. I was so relieved to know that the upper center screen is a great spot to just sit my phone if i'm video chatting, or watching something(don't kill me cause i admit it). I can say i'm glad the seats are comfortable enough for a long drive, and they force you to sit with good posture. The suspension is spot on from reviews, firm but livable. I love the rubber floor mats they feel like they will last. I can't wait for snow this winter so i can try out the AWD

1 of 2 of my local dealers on has 1 WRX on lot at a time. This place had 3 pages on site. Also why i chose red cause it seems to be rare

What i am saying is my friend has diesel passat 45 epa highway rating 700 miles a tank. That works for him though i'll be fine

Current car and me

Snowboarding pics

04-10-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Cool car, enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 02:46 AM   #3
reihani
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

snowboarding does that to you. Great car, you'll enjoy it for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Hmm, why not some type of BMW x drive, X5/3/1?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Cool car, enjoy!
Thanks I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihani View Post
snowboarding does that to you. Great car, you'll enjoy it for sure.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan View Post
Hmm, why not some type of BMW x drive, X5/3/1?
I wanted something that looked and drove sporty. Majority of SUV's are boring to look at or drive. I couldn't afford an X5, $60k is worth half my house(cheap cost of living in NM). i wanted to spend 30-35k. i did look at another 3 in xdrive which would be an easy transition but i wanted to try something sportier. Unless you get an M, the new 3 seems more cushy and less sport in terms of looks, ride, handling. i will always love the 3 series for what it is. the 1/2 series is too small to bring friends.

Overall though i'm liking how non aggressive alot of BMW's are. The CLA has proven you can make a cheap aggressive sports sedan and get great sales. the 2 series sedan already looks boring and its not even out yet.
      04-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Nice, congrats and enjoy the ride.

My roommate was considering a WRX about a year ago. I gave him a ride to the dealership in my car and we asked if we could test drive one. They refused and said that it's a high performance car yada yada yada and that people who buy them want them with as little miles as possible and that people who want a WRX know that they're great to drive and don't even need to test drive them, basically a bunch of some of the most retarded crap I've ever heard so he bought an A3 instead since they weren't a bunch of smug morons about the notion of test driving something before you drop $30k+ on something.

From that point forward I haven't been able to look at WRX's the same, or Subaru in general. Hopefully your experience was different...and they actually let you test drive the damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Nice, congrats and enjoy the ride.

My roommate was considering a WRX about a year ago. I gave him a ride to the dealership in my car and we asked if we could test drive one. They refused and said that it's a high performance car yada yada yada and that people who buy them want them with as little miles as possible and that people who want a WRX know that they're great to drive and don't even need to test drive them, basically a bunch of some of the most retarded crap I've ever heard so he bought an A3 instead since they weren't a bunch of smug morons about the notion of test driving something before you drop $30k+ on something.

From that point forward I haven't been able to look at WRX's the same, or Subaru in general. Hopefully your experience was different...and they actually let you test drive the damn thing.
I did read on the wrx forums that some dealers won't let you test drive the sti, but both my local dealers let me drive their wrx's. He should have just went to another dealer. I sad to hear that happened. The wrx is $30k ish and and big decision worth driving first.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Damn! I didn't have any problem driving a Rex when I was shopping last round.

It's odd, it happens at the weirdest times. Though, I always respond the same: No test drive, I go to another dealership, even if the next closest one is 2 hours from here. It's fun to look at the salesman's face when I say that.

OP: Nice car man. I actually prefer the regular WRX to the STi now.
      04-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #9
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Damn! I didn't have any problem driving a Rex when I was shopping last round.

It's odd, it happens at the weirdest times. Though, I always respond the same: No test drive, I go to another dealership, even if the next closest one is 2 hours from here. It's fun to look at the salesman's face when I say that.

OP: Nice car man. I actually prefer the regular WRX to the STi now.
If it were me shopping and I really wanted a WRX, I'd of just gone to another dealer. I also make appointments ahead of time so I've never had an issue with being refused a test drive, but it wasn't my car and he made the decision to just look elsewhere entirely.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #10
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

I rolled 159,000 in my 330i today and thought "wow just another 5 years and maybe I'l look into a new ride and gut this thing for track duty"
      04-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #11
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I rolled 159,000 in my 330i today and thought "wow just another 5 years and maybe I'l look into a new ride and gut this thing for track duty"
After a while i got tired of replacing the same things. I felt like i was restoring an antique. no payment money was no longer going into savings even with cheaper maintenance an local indi shop
      04-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Congrats on the new ride. I was cross shopping the wrx and a golf R (neither 2015 MY). I drove a 2013 wrx and a 2012 Golf R, chose the R. I had an STi (05) and loved it, definitely a blast. Chose the R as it is a little more refined and more understated which I wanted. However, the WRX was definily a lot of fun and a great car (just not what I was looking for). Haven't looked at the 2015s but I think they look better than the 2013s. Anyways, congrats on the new wheels and enjoy it!!

Oh yea, have fun boarding as well...I want more winter so I can hit the slopes.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
Put a deposit on a 2015 WRX STI Launch Edition today, going to check it out and test drive it tomorrow afternoon. No worries though, I will be keeping the e90 as my DD, so I won't be going anywhere... the wife will be dumping the Mini Cooper S for the STI as her DD.

Last edited by Back in a Subie; 04-16-2015 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
goon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i AW

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Cool pics, drive safe
      04-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #15
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A lot of the reviews said that the suspension was severely stiff, to the point that it may be uncomfortable for some as a daily driver. After a half hour test drive (a lot of it stuck in traffic in a construction zone) over some of suburban Detroit's finest of potholes and crumbling roads, I can say that it still rides better than a Mini Cooper S over the same surfaces. The short throw shifter is crisp and easy to use. The clutch is nice and firm with minimal travel. I really liked the feel of the steering wheel and the interior in general, the materials used feel very upscale. Over all the car felt very solid, firmly planted with plenty of power on tap and that amazing boxer grumble.

My wife enjoyed her time behind the wheel of the STI enough to bid the Mini farewell. So, we left it behind and I got to drive the Subie the entire 2 hour trip home. On the highway the car is a little noisy, but not to the point that you cant hear the radio or the person sitting next to you like in my old TJ7 Wrangler. Over all we are both pleased with this vehicle and look forward to getting to know it a little better.

Last edited by Back in a Subie; 04-18-2015 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #16
freshnezzz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi330xi View Post
Put a deposit on a 2015 WRX STI Launch Edition today, going to check it out and test drive it tomorrow afternoon. No worries though, I will be keeping the e90 as my DD, so I won't be going anywhere... the wife will be dumping the Mini Cooper S for the STI as her DD.

Congrats man! i'm sure she will enjoy it! i'm sure its even more fun to drive than the non STI. I do find the ride firm, but liveable. Now and then though i hit a bump that knock my head forward though, lol. i considered the STI but the MPG was a draw back for me, because i drive alot and even wrx is bad. i wanted a car in the 30's. i'm glad u like interior, cause it was a big draw back for me. The nav is so horrible. I'll be waiting for better app radio releases. I just got tint, clear braw and roof wrap today and it looks way better now. Subie guys are so nice, i can't believe they really wave to eachother.
      04-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #17
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! The wife only put 20k miles on the Mini in 5 years, so the mpg wasn't much of a factor for us. And we didn't get the navigation, we will still use the BMW for any traveling. If you think this is rough, a Mini with the sports package is worse. The short wheel base, smaller tires and flat non bolstered seats amplify the harshness. So we are pretty happy with the Subie; got our first subaru wave last night, in fact.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #18
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

We have a countryman all4 S that my wife drives. We specifically didn't get the sport package because of the harsh ride. The car still handles well and will rotate like a go cart with lift throttle oversteer. Ours is now 3 years old with 30k KM (18k miles).
      04-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #19
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
It was a 328 so good job. If you went 335 to WRX then I'd have to ask why?

Good luck w/the new car.
Appreciate 0