BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions G30 Paddle Shifters - DONT DO WHAT I DID

01-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

G30 Paddle Shifters - DONT DO WHAT I DID

So, I got AutoTechnik paddle shifter replacements for my 2021 M550i. And they're awesome, totally love the feel and use of them now that they're installed.

BUT I fucked up, and want to give you guys the watch outs I learned the hard way:

1.- get Torx screwdrivers, do NOT use Torx ratchet sets. I did that to be cheap/lazy, and I cranked my screws so hard they sheared off in the plastic housing, requiring a whole new set of paddles ($450 from an online retailer)

2.- when you order new paddles, if you lost a screw or broke a screw, they do NOT come with replacement screws.

3.- definitely use a strong magnet on a stick, or something similar, so you don't drop any screws into the wheel. It'll arc with the clock spring and your horn will be stuck on if you don't get it out. Not a fun process, and your neighbors will think you're as stupid as you do.

4.- the 'replacement box of screws' for the wheel that is a BMW part (picture of white box with part number below) - 32-30-6-884-696 - does NOT include the Torx screws for the paddles. The only way to get OEM ones, that I've found after long conversations with GetBMWParts.com and my local parts department, is to buy a new whole wheel assembly for $1k.

5.- if you wanted to replace these screws, as I had to, with non OEM hardware to save yourself $1k, go to Home Depot. I bought these machine screws (pictured below) the #6-32 x 3/4 in or #6-32 x 1/2 in will do the trick. I forget which length I used in the final install, but I believe I went 3/4 in. Just make sure you get the round head, it will fit best and give you the right seal / connection on the steering wheel side of things.

PSA over, don't be a moron like me!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Sorry for your troubles but thanks for the post.

Any chance you took photos/videos as you completed the install? I've watched a few 3 & 4 series videos but have only heard that the G30 is a pain to mess with.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto540 View Post
Sorry for your troubles but thanks for the post.

Any chance you took photos/videos as you completed the install? I've watched a few 3 & 4 series videos but have only heard that the G30 is a pain to mess with.
Unfortunately I did not, I was too focused on not screwing up, and managed to still screw up.

Did find this video though that's super helpful showing the moving parts and how to get the airbag out:

Definitely 1,000% though unplug the battery before you ever mess with airbags. Anyone ever reading this, that is no joke. You don't want that shit blowing up in your face, plus a new airbag is like $450-500 (doesn't come with the $1k wheel, that's just the fucking wheel)

Other than honestly screwing up the screws and shearing them it was a pretty easy process. ThicWhips on YouTube has a good video of the paddle install, but goes the full on removing the wheel method. It's on an A90 Supra, but they have the same airbag/wheel base and paddles as the G30.

Hopefully this is of some help, but if you have any specific questions I'm happy to try and answer or grab pics
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
Kosmic
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

WOW... shit
but I could have sold you a new set of paddles for $ 120.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #5
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmic View Post
WOW... shit
but I could have sold you a new set of paddles for $ 120.
Wish I had known, but it was my only car and the paddles would fall off the wheel while driving. Wasn't safe, so I did everything the expensive but fast way.

Just hoping this post saves folks the shit I went through if they research before doing the mods 🤣
Appreciate 0