BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding UK - coding

01-25-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
amsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 series

UK - coding

Hi,

I have just purchased a G30 and looking to code some things, I have bimmercode and a obd adaptor which I used some time ago for an F30, I’ve read this has limited options to code on G30

Is Esys free still? And is this the best way to code the G30?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 07:40 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post
Hi,

I have just purchased a G30 and looking to code some things, I have bimmercode and a obd adaptor which I used some time ago for an F30, I’ve read this has limited options to code on G30

Is Esys free still? And is this the best way to code the G30?

Thanks.
  • Short answer: It depends on what you want to code. But Bimmercode is a great place to start and may be all you need.
  • OBD2 adapter: You should buy a new OBD2 adapter regardless of what coding tool you plan to use. Wired ethernet with adapter to USB-C or Lightning is cheap and fast, or a Bluetooth adapter like the OBDLink CX+ will also work. I've had poor luck using old adapters on my G30.
  • Other tools: Esys is still technically free but you will need to purchase a launcher for it. And its CAFD mapping is becoming increasingly outdated so I'm not sure how much to trust it. Other coding options include ProTool and BimmerUtility. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. If you know ahead of time what you would like to code, share your plans here and some of us can probably help to recommend a tool. But I'd start with Bimmercode because it's easy to use and you already have it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 02:26 AM   #3
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
Short answer: It depends on what you want to code. But Bimmercode is a great place to start and may be all you need.
OBD2 adapter: You should buy a new OBD2 adapter regardless of what coding tool you plan to use. Wired ethernet with adapter to USB-C or Lightning is cheap and fast, or a Bluetooth adapter like the OBDLink CX+ will also work. I've had poor luck using old adapters on my G30.
Other tools: Esys is still technically free but you will need to purchase a launcher for it. And its CAFD mapping is becoming increasingly outdated so I'm not sure how much to trust it. Other coding options include ProTool and BimmerUtility. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. If you know ahead of time what you would like to code, share your plans here and some of us can probably help to recommend a tool. But I'd start with Bimmercode because it's easy to use and you already have it.
Thanks for the detailed response, this is the list below ( not sure whats achievable on bimmercode + I’ve seen a few people who had coded alpina dash who couldn’t then return to orignal via bimmercode and the ambinet lighting showing different colours than selected on idrive too also coded via bimmercode)

Video via USB
- Video in motion
- Android Screen Mirroring
- Digital speedometer addition in Digital Dash
- Digital Speedometer menu addition via BC Button
- Bleep on lock
- Boot open/ close from key
- elec Mirrors open one touch
- Windows open / close from key
- Angel eye brightness
- Ambient lighting brightness
- Daytime running light brightness
- Cornering lights
- Auto start stop off
- Welcome lights
- Door handle lights on in reverse
- Enable Mirror Tilt in reverse for Automatic Mirrors
- Sports+ activation
- Comfort+ activation
- EcoPro+ activation
- Display tyre pressure & temperature
- Enable Bowers and Wilkins or Bang and Olufsen Sound Profile for Kardon Sound system -
- Ambilight colour combinations of any colour from RGB sepctrum

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 12:33 PM   #4
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post
Thanks for the detailed response, this is the list below ( not sure whats achievable on bimmercode + I’ve seen a few people who had coded alpina dash who couldn’t then return to orignal via bimmercode and the ambinet lighting showing different colours than selected on idrive too also coded via bimmercode)
I'm working a little bit from memory here but I'll respond where I'm comfortable doing so. Unfortunately I can't speak to the Alpina dash problem but I know that I was once able to change to the "M" dash and back again with no issue.

In the list below, "Yes" means it's directly available on Bimmercode. If you haven't already seen this, here is their official reference for G30, although you will need to know which versions of the various modules you have.

- Video via USB Yes
- Video in motion Possible but may have speed limitations
- Bleep on lock Isn't this available in iDrive menu?
- Boot open/ close from key Believe Yes, but ProTool generally has better options for opening/closing
- Windows open / close from key I believe this is called "Convenient opening/closing" and BC supports it
- Angel eye brightness Yes
- Cornering lights Only via Expert Mode or use ProTool
- Auto start stop off Yes
- Enable Mirror Tilt in reverse for Automatic Mirrors Yes
- Comfort+ activation Yes but requires Expert Mode
- Display tyre pressure & temperature Maybe but ProTool has more options
- Enable Bowers and Wilkins or Bang and Olufsen Sound Profile for Kardon Sound system Yes, I also recommend disabling active sound design -
- Ambilight colour combinations of any colour from RGB sepctrum Yes using Expert Mode, but easier to do using ProTool
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 06:12 AM   #5
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
I'm working a little bit from memory here but I'll respond where I'm comfortable doing so. Unfortunately I can't speak to the Alpina dash problem but I know that I was once able to change to the "M" dash and back again with no issue.

In the list below, "Yes" means it's directly available on Bimmercode. If you haven't already seen this, here is their official reference for G30, although you will need to know which versions of the various modules you have.

- Video via USB Yes
- Video in motion Possible but may have speed limitations
- Bleep on lock Isn't this available in iDrive menu?
- Boot open/ close from key Believe Yes, but ProTool generally has better options for opening/closing
- Windows open / close from key I believe this is called "Convenient opening/closing" and BC supports it
- Angel eye brightness Yes
- Cornering lights Only via Expert Mode or use ProTool
- Auto start stop off Yes
- Enable Mirror Tilt in reverse for Automatic Mirrors Yes
- Comfort+ activation Yes but requires Expert Mode
- Display tyre pressure & temperature Maybe but ProTool has more options
- Enable Bowers and Wilkins or Bang and Olufsen Sound Profile for Kardon Sound system Yes, I also recommend disabling active sound design -
- Ambilight colour combinations of any colour from RGB sepctrum Yes using Expert Mode, but easier to do using ProTool
Thanks I guess I will just wait till I get the car and see whats possible!
Appreciate 0