BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
NYC X6M
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X6M

Hello, I currently own a 2016 mineral white over mugello red X6M. This is my first bmw and this is only my second post but I do visit the forum now and then when I have questions regarding the car. A lot of the stuff on here is very helpful but I do have one question. Why does the oil temperature of the car get cold so fast? After a while of driving and warming up the oil, I park the car for about 30-45 minutes. When I start the car again it's like a cold start. The temperature would be as if I've never driven the car. This happens in fairly warm weather as well. My Mercedes Benz Cls63 amg doesn't do this. Am I the only one or are your cars like this as well? Below are a few pics of the car from my phone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Congrats and welcome.

(1) Recent M cars run very cool. My last F80 M3's heat exchanger on top of the motor was cold to the touch after 5 20min track runs at 85 degree ambient temp. BMW M division has done a great job in the cooling department.

(2) The F85/86 radiator fan run for 10+ min after the engine shuts off. This cools down the motor and the electric oil pumps circulate the oil in the process. This helps remove hot oil from the turbos and vital parts. In the old days, you needed a turbo timer or leave your car at idle after parking to accomplish this.
      01-31-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
NYC X6M
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Congrats and welcome.

(1) Recent M cars run very cool. My last F80 M3's heat exchanger on top of the motor was cold to the touch after 5 20min track runs at 85 degree ambient temp. BMW M division has done a great job in the cooling department.

(2) The F85/86 radiator fan run for 10+ min after the engine shuts off. This cools down the motor and the electric oil pumps circulate the oil in the process. This helps remove hot oil from the turbos and vital parts. In the old days, you needed a turbo timer or leave your car at idle after parking to accomplish this.
Thank you for clarifying this for me! I did notice that after driving the car for some time that the fans do run for about 10 minutes even after turning the car off. As long as it benefits the engine, I don't mind the "cold start". Now I see the engineering that went into this car
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 05:10 AM   #4
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
no worry, Mine does go cold fairly quick, as well.

I like how clean your interior is. I though I was the only crazy shit who clean the interior everyday.

Peace.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Congrats on your car, enjoy it in good health! it is very beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Welcome as well fellow NYer. I also came over from AMG, and I know the W204 platform at least was infamous for having inadequate oil cooling systems. After a couple of hot laps, the car would always go into "limp mode". Folks would try and remedy this by adding larger oil coolers (such as from the black series), etc., but I think a perfect solution wasn't found.

The F85/86 platform is TOTALLY different. Take a look at the cooling system schematic at some point and you'll be amazed how many different systems are in place to keep the powerplant and turbos happy.
Appreciate 0