BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Dealer visit didn't go as expected

12-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #1
335IAF
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: na

I'm really here to vent to a handful of people that might understand.

I went to the dealership today to discuss ordering a car. I waited a long time before getting to this point. I'm fully aware that my window for ordering a g30 is closing. I did some of the numbers before I went but knew I wouldn't have all the little fees and my trade in value until I went in to talk to them. I was ready to pay up to $999/month, but really under $900 was preferred. Initial numbers came back at $1200. I was crushed. They offered me $7k under kbb trade in value for good condition on my car.

Then the show started.... Oh but we have this other car that's nearly identical in stock right now! It's only missing the dynamic handling package and the wheels/tires you wanted and the rear heated seats and the minor trim. Are you going to track the car? No? Then you really don't need the dynamic handling package. Wife is convinced.

That car? $1050/month. Seeing my reluctance, they came back with an additional $3500 in saving and $3000 more in value for my trade in. And hit the magic $925/month. But it's still not what I really wanted, even though I admit I'm being extra picky on this.

With those additional numbers, the ordered car would have been in my range. But then they said they couldn't guarantee trade in value by the time the car gets delivered.

So what I learned was, while I thought I had saved enough, and had all my ducks in a row, I'm still to poor to afford the uncertainty that comes with ordering a new car. Also, dealers have 0 incentive to order you a car and lots to sell you what's on the lot. Seems obvious in hindsight.

2008 E90 335I | Sport | Premium | Cold Weather | CA | Logic7 | Black/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 04:18 AM   #2
H_T
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Garage List
2021 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Each dealer and salesperson is different, but here is what I did:

This was in the beginning of 2021, where I built the car I wanted on BMWUSA.com . It gives you a build code and price for the exact model. The dealer can use this code for reference. The website also indicated the finance promotions running that day (took a screenshot).

Then I went to kbb.com and looked up the trade in value for my vehicle and also printed it out. Keep in mind all dealers always low ball this price, but after first rejecting the $2000 lower offer for trade in, I was called back the next day and offered a closer trade in value, but not exact.

Be sure you use a car payment calculator (like on cars.com) to get an idea of price, trade, down payment, and taxes.

Using all of these tools, it will give you an expectation of what payments look like before going to any dealer (not just BMW).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #3
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335IAF View Post
I'm really here to vent to a handful of people that might understand.

I went to the dealership today to discuss ordering a car. I waited a long time before getting to this point. I'm fully aware that my window for ordering a g30 is closing. I did some of the numbers before I went but knew I wouldn't have all the little fees and my trade in value until I went in to talk to them. I was ready to pay up to $999/month, but really under $900 was preferred. Initial numbers came back at $1200. I was crushed. They offered me $7k under kbb trade in value for good condition on my car.

Then the show started.... Oh but we have this other car that's nearly identical in stock right now! It's only missing the dynamic handling package and the wheels/tires you wanted and the rear heated seats and the minor trim. Are you going to track the car? No? Then you really don't need the dynamic handling package. Wife is convinced.

That car? $1050/month. Seeing my reluctance, they came back with an additional $3500 in saving and $3000 more in value for my trade in. And hit the magic $925/month. But it's still not what I really wanted, even though I admit I'm being extra picky on this.

With those additional numbers, the ordered car would have been in my range. But then they said they couldn't guarantee trade in value by the time the car gets delivered.

So what I learned was, while I thought I had saved enough, and had all my ducks in a row, I'm still to poor to afford the uncertainty that comes with ordering a new car. Also, dealers have 0 incentive to order you a car and lots to sell you what's on the lot. Seems obvious in hindsight.
your trade in is the biggest unknown here with prices dropping daily. in a few days on paper it will be a whole year older.

I have a feeling you will be in the car they are offering for 925 shortly

regarding dhp look at this recent purchase - https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1936787&page=3
Appreciate 1
335IAF6.50
      12-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
DCDude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 530e xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335IAF View Post
They offered me $7k under kbb trade in value for good condition on my car.
If you’ve got a CarMax near you, it might be worthwhile to get a trade in value from them. Whenever I’m going to trade a car into a dealer, I have a CarMax bid in my pocket in case the dealer gets cute and lowballs me on a trade in value.

Also a good idea to get your car detailed before going to CarMax. You’ll more than make up the price of the detail with the higher trade in value.
Appreciate 1
335IAF6.50
      12-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #5
335IAF
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
your trade in is the biggest

regarding dhp look at this recent purchase - https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1936787&page=3
That thread is part of what convinced me to order one with it. I loved the idea I can get this mid size car with a turning radius of my old 335.

I test drive an m550 a few months ago with DHP. It hugged the road and everything felt very natural. Only once did I make a corner and felt the rear end sort of fall in line, but I was looking for it too.

I used the KBB value to estimate my monthly costs. I wasn't expecting them to low ball me so much. I could still swing it, I just need to find some comfort in pulling more out of savings.

If the second car had the 668 wheels that I really wanted, I may have bit. I feel like the car looks much different with the Y spoke wheels.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 01:57 AM   #6
arkhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 540i

Are you buying or are you leasing? You might want to check out Leasehackr. Regardless of if you're buying or leasing, you want to find someone willing to discount off MSRP before incentives.

Just note that brokers on Leasehackr charge fees. If you can find a Texas dealer there, it's even better because they'll really take care of you.

i don't know what your trade in value is, but $1,200 after trade-in for financing sounds like a rip-off for what I assume is an M550i.

Last edited by arkhi; 12-29-2022 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
335IAF6.50
      12-29-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
335IAF
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
Are you buying or are you leasing? You might want to check out Leasehackr. Regardless of if you're buying or leasing, you want to find someone willing to discount off MSRP before incentives.

Just note that brokers on Leasehackr charge fees. If you can find a Texas dealer there, it's even better because they'll really take care of you.

i don't know what your trade in value is, but $1,200 after trade-in for financing sounds like a rip-off for what I assume is an M550i.
Buying. I plan to keep the car for 10+ years. My trade in KBB is at 28-29k, they offered $22k. I owe about $12k on it. That difference alone was enough to raise me from $980/month to $1200+/month. It's just too far out of comfort zone for a monthly payment. That's with $20k cash down too.

Yes it's a M550.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDude View Post
If you’ve got a CarMax near you, it might be worthwhile to get a trade in value from them. Whenever I’m going to trade a car into a dealer, I have a CarMax bid in my pocket in case the dealer gets cute and lowballs me on a trade in value.

Also a good idea to get your car detailed before going to CarMax. You’ll more than make up the price of the detail with the higher trade in value.
Another vote for Carmax here. A few months ago, I wanted to upgrade my mom's 2017 Tiguan and get her into a new Taos to capitalize on the used car market craziness. VW dealership low-balled the trade to the point where even the sales guy was telling me to look elsewhere to get what my trade was worth. Carmax gave me a whopping $3,000 *above* what the dealer was giving me for a trade in. I literally printed their quote, took the car in for inspection, and had a check in my pocket within 3 hrs start to finish.
DCDude70.00