BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Vibrations G30 after engine swap

10-17-2023, 05:30 AM   #1
Larsson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520xdrive G30

Vibrations G30 after engine swap

Hello, I would be very thankful for the ideas what may have resulted to vibrations in certain conditions.

I have a 2018 G30 xdrive, bought it just under 100 000km on it. Drove for 6 months and the engine blew without warnings, after investigating the reason was faulty oil cooler which leaked the coolant into engine. The car took a sudden stop with cracking noise, probably from the transmission.

Replacement engine dealer found was from X3, apparently still the same B47D20 as in 520xdrive, swap engine had only 25000 km.

It has been now 6 months with the new engine, now having still some odd vibrations while driving and idle with D engaged against the brake. When accelerating in right corner, (only right) I can feel vibration, probably somewhere else than from the engine bay since motor mounts were replaced last week. Guibo joint was also replaced on June. Vibration is prominent when giving a light acceleration on low rpm, something like 1100-1250 range.

Should the transmission adaptations been reseted after swapping the engine, I have a feeling that rpms are going too low and cannot handle the torque and then it starts the vibration?

Any thoughts on possible transfer case or transmission problems itself? Transmission oil has not been changed, now 125000km in odometer.

Sorry for the long post and even worse English
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:46 PM   #2
Catalin1337
Rep
Drives: Bmw g20 m340i

Did you solved this?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 12:04 PM   #3
gasoline
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 530i Xdrive

Hi,
As far as I know the vibration during cornering is one of the indicators for transfer case problems for X drives. A bulletin from BMW recommends changing transfer case fluid.

Do you feel this vibration also during slowing down and just before coming to complete stop or during the release of the brake and first take-off instant?
I have this problem and am still looking for an answer. I heard low idle rpm is a a possible cause for such cases, needs tuning.
Appreciate 0