BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e starts charging the battery during drive

03-05-2024, 09:48 AM   #1
nuppe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

530e starts charging the battery during drive

I couldn't find this particular issue from this forum:

My 530e (2019) started behaving strange today as I was driving to and from work. I was driving in auto mode so that the car uses battery below certain speed (~92kph) and uses the petrol engine if driving faster than that. When the battery reached around 20% it started charging using the petrol engine and it wouldn't stop charging. It was like the mode was changed to battery control and 100%, even though I was still in auto mode. The same thing happened on my way back - when the battery reached low enough level it started charging with the engine and probably would have charged to 100% if the drive was longer.

Is this a first sign of my battery going bad? It does have a lot of charge cycles as I tend to drive short distances and charge whenever I can. Does anyone have experience with warranty? Do they swap a dead battery to a new (or refurbished?) one and is there a chance that I'd get the larger LCI version of the battery?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:49 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuppe View Post
I couldn't find this particular issue from this forum:

My 530e (2019) started behaving strange today as I was driving to and from work. I was driving in auto mode so that the car uses battery below certain speed (~92kph) and uses the petrol engine if driving faster than that. When the battery reached around 20% it started charging using the petrol engine and it wouldn't stop charging. It was like the mode was changed to battery control and 100%, even though I was still in auto mode. The same thing happened on my way back - when the battery reached low enough level it started charging with the engine and probably would have charged to 100% if the drive was longer.

Is this a first sign of my battery going bad? It does have a lot of charge cycles as I tend to drive short distances and charge whenever I can. Does anyone have experience with warranty? Do they swap a dead battery to a new (or refurbished?) one and is there a chance that I'd get the larger LCI version of the battery?
what's "auto mode"? do you mean Hybrid drive mode?

when it started charging the battery, does it still say Hybrid mode in the instrument cluster or BATTERY CONTROL?

interesting. first time i've heard of such behavior. probably best to get diagnostics on the HV battery health. with a 2019, i believe you are no longer under warranty (though i'm not 100% knowledgable on the Finland market). if the HV battery modules need to be replaced, i don't think the LCI version would fit as it's larger than pre-LCI
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 11:47 AM   #3
nuppe
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
what's "auto mode"? do you mean Hybrid drive mode?

when it started charging the battery, does it still say Hybrid mode in the instrument cluster or BATTERY CONTROL?

interesting. first time i've heard of such behavior. probably best to get diagnostics on the HV battery health. with a 2019, i believe you are no longer under warranty (though i'm not 100% knowledgable on the Finland market). if the HV battery modules need to be replaced, i don't think the LCI version would fit as it's larger than pre-LCI
Yes, I mean the hybrid drive mode (called Auto eDrive here). I'm certain it was in hybrid mode and as soon as I noticed it I even tried the battery control mode with a value less than the battery's current charge-%, but it still kept charging the battery. The only way I was able to stop the charging was to switch to full ev mode (max edrive).

I checked the warranty, it's 6yrs/100 000km here, so I'm still barely within the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 12:47 PM   #4
capese21
Private
Rep
Drives: 5 series Msport G30 530e

What battery range does it show when fully charged using the granny or a wall charger?

Last edited by capese21; 03-05-2024 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: added text
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 04:25 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
How far did you let the car charge the battery? This is important because the car does have a minimum battery charge level that it will work hard to maintain. The car is not designed to have no EV power as then it would be a very underpowered vehicle. Always keep in mind that the ICE engine is considered optional, but the EV motor is not. As a result, once the battery drops very low it will turn on the ICE to aggressively charge the battery to a minimum (I think it is 10%, but I’d have to find my old thread to see where i ascertained the cutoff to be) that ensures it has sufficient power for eBoost, etc.

I found my posts discussing this in more detail: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=53

What does the Energy view show in the car during this? On my car it shows why the engine is running and that can be helpful to gauge what state the car thinks it is in. Especially if energy view notes it is charging due to something like Battery Control when it isn’t in that drive mode. Will help to isolate these details for a warranty repair too.

In terms of battery state, you can pull a BMW Car Data report and it will include the Battery Health Status. How useful it is? I can’t say as mine says it is in good health still based on what another forum post states.

Post: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...68&postcount=5

Also speaking of battery. You can’t use the MY2020+ battery in cars before MY2020. Although they are physically the same size BMW changed the voltages slightly and they aren’t compatible. The one poster I know of who had a warrantied battery swap was not upgraded on that swap.

I specifically say MY2020 since MY2021 is the LCI MY, but the 530e battery was upgraded in the pre-LCI 2020 MY and that same battery is used on all G30 530e MY afterward until the EOP for the G30 was reached in MY2023.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:54 AM   #6
nuppe
Registered
Rep

A full charge shows 34km (21 miles), which I think is a pretty normal figure.

I let the car charge the battery to around 60% (from 20%) before I switched to full electric and drove home. Unfortunately I didn't think to check the Energy view when it happened, I just noticed that my fuel consumption went up (to around 15l/100km) which indicates to me that the engine is charging the battery.

I need to check out the Battery Health Status at CarData, this was news to me. It'll take about 24h for the data to be generated now that I activated the service. I know I was reaching with the battery being swapped to the newer pack but it would have been cool to get more battery if this one dies though..

That being said this might have been a one time (or two time) occurrance. Today I drove the exact same route to work and back and had no issues. Need to keep my eye on this if it comes back.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:00 AM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuppe View Post
A full charge shows 34km (21 miles), which I think is a pretty normal figure.

I let the car charge the battery to around 60% (from 20%) before I switched to full electric and drove home. Unfortunately I didn't think to check the Energy view when it happened, I just noticed that my fuel consumption went up (to around 15l/100km) which indicates to me that the engine is charging the battery.

I need to check out the Battery Health Status at CarData, this was news to me. It'll take about 24h for the data to be generated now that I activated the service. I know I was reaching with the battery being swapped to the newer pack but it would have been cool to get more battery if this one dies though..

That being said this might have been a one time (or two time) occurrance. Today I drove the exact same route to work and back and had no issues. Need to keep my eye on this if it comes back.
If it happens again share the details for sure as well as what your Car Data report shows for the battery.

I know there are features the car supports outside of the US market so there is probably a fair bit I don’t know. For instance, the car supports electric only zones in some markets. It is possible the car maps got twisted and thought you were approaching such a zone and wanted to charge the battery heavily to ensure you could comply with the laws in such a zone.

The energy view in my MY2020 is really good at giving you an idea of why it is doing something with the complex power plant in our cars!

I am sure the data is the same in previous model years since MY2020 is not the LCI, but I mention it as it is possible some things shifted with iDrive 7 Lite and I have no experience with the G30 other than my MY.
Appreciate 0