BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions What to get xDrive or sDrive - 520D

04-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
Kyavar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520

Question What to get xDrive or sDrive - 520D

Hello everyone, nice to e-meet you all.

I am about to order a new BMW 520D M Sport with adaptive suspension, I am however not sure if I should get the xDrive option or not. I appreciate that this topic has been discussed here before but I am still confused, there seems to be mixed opinions on this.

What would you get an xDrive or sDrive?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Depends on your climate. If you will have to drive in adverse conditions (snow, gravel, etc.) then I would go XDrive. If, on the other hand, you live in a temperate climate, I would go for the RWD as it is more fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think if you are concerned about driving in bad weather, winter tyres are a better bet with RWD than summer tyres and XDRIVE.

I have XDrive on my 540i (didn't get any choice on that here in the UK) and I would say the most noticeable feature about it over RWD is just the ability "to get the power down". I can pull away without any wheel spin .

So I'd say if you like enthusiastic acceleration , then may be of benefit.

It also does feel more secure pull out of say a roundabout . I'm no racing driving but in my previous RWD I would wait until the car had straightened up before applying a lot of power , but with Xdrive , I feel I can do this a lot earlier now.

in leisurely driving I can't pick up on any difference but I am comparing to a F10 , I've not personally tried a RWD G30 with a Xdrive G30.

There is also a fuel penalty to some extent with Xdrive, RWD will be just that bit more economical if that's an issue to you.

best thing is to try both if you can and see if you tell the difference and whether its relevant or not.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
You guys don't get all season as standard?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
ztx84
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

I think just RWD will be fine... Like AP I didn't have an option on my 540, but my old F10 520d was just fine with RWD only, never a problem and it drove very well indeed. If it is lots of money for the option I'd avoid it, but if the dealer throws it in or there is a car in their inventory they want to shift at the right price then take it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
You guys don't get all season as standard?
Not in the UK, we get high performance summer tires as the standard fit.

Strange really, that they are not offered, as an All Season would suit most of us in the UK climate. We've never really accepted them, ("Jack of all trades, master of none"), BMW users have been set on running summer tires.

On the sDrive vs. xDrive debate, I use RWD in the Scottish Highlands, as winter/cold weather tires are less of a compromise for me, than having xDrive. My personal reasons... RWD performance, better fuel economy, less weight to carry all the time, less weight on the front axle. Not saying xDrive hasn't got its place, a little more traction for sure, but not convinced it is needed, as winter tires are still required for safe winter driving anyway.

If I move to a G31 540i will be xDrive anyway, so no choice, but will still need winter wheels.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      04-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Fact: AWD accelerates faster than RWD.
Fact: AWD gets slightly less MPG than RWD.
Opinion: AWD feels more planted to the ground.

I've had 6 BMWs. 4 with X-Drive and 2 without.

I live in CA with very mild weather and I still prefer AWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 06:20 AM   #8
Kyavar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520

Thank you all for your feedback, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #9
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post

Fact: RWD is more fun
Fact: RWD requires less maintenance as there is only one differential, vs the 2 differentials plus a transfer case in x drive
Fact: X-drive requires all tires to have tread depth within a small margin of each other. If a tire needs to be replaced, it needs to be shaved to the level of the other tires, or all the other tires need to be replaced
Fact: Winter tires are essential driving in harsher environments regardless of RWD or AWD

OP, I doubt you will have any trouble putting power down in a 520d with RWD. I've got a 530i M-Sport and its near impossible to break grip in a straight line on a dry surface. Even in the wet, I never have any traction issues. In models with more torque (540i, 540d) then you'd probably be able to get some wheelspin with RWD. My E90 was X-drive and I don't miss it at all. I also ski and have no problems driving my RWD cars to ski resorts as long as they have winter tires.

Unless you have a specific need for x-drive (steep grades on snow, gravel, mud etc) then the RWD will be cheaper, more fun, and more efficient

Last edited by wknddrivr; 05-01-2019 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #10
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Some markets don't even get a choice (e.g. here). We only get the S-Drive. They must've thought - no winter snow - ok, stuff'em, they're not getting AWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:27 PM   #11
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Some markets don't even get a choice (e.g. here). We only get the S-Drive. They must've thought - no winter snow - ok, stuff'em, they're not getting AWD.
That is strange as BMW appears to market xDrive as a performance and all weather safety option. Playing off the bad weather only part.
I'm sure they didn't try to stuff you guys.
I could be wrong but I remember somewhere reading that the xDrive option gave the car a better 50/50 weight balance. Could have been salesman.
      05-02-2019, 01:24 AM   #12
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Quote:

Fact: RWD is more fun
Fact: RWD requires less maintenance as there is only one differential, vs the 2 differentials plus a transfer case in x drive
Fact: X-drive requires all tires to have tread depth within a small margin of each other. If a tire needs to be replaced, it needs to be shaved to the level of the other tires, or all the other tires need to be replaced
Fact: Winter tires are essential driving in harsher environments regardless of RWD or AWD

OP, I doubt you will have any trouble putting power down in a 520d with RWD. I've got a 530i M-Sport and its near impossible to break grip in a straight line on a dry surface. Even in the wet, I never have any traction issues. In models with more torque (540i, 540d) then you'd probably be able to get some wheelspin with RWD. My E90 was X-drive and I don't miss it at all. I also ski and have no problems driving my RWD cars to ski resorts as long as they have winter tires.

Unless you have a specific need for x-drive (steep grades on snow, gravel, mud etc) then the RWD will be cheaper, more fun, and more efficient
Um. No. It is not a fact that RWD is more fun. That is an opinion.

In my opinion faster acceleration is more fun, thus making AWD more fun. Again opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #13
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

In my opinion faster acceleration is more fun, thus making AWD more fun. Again opinion.
Um yeah it is if you know how to drive.

OP is considering a 520d. There is no difference in acceleration on that model between the x-drive and RWD.

Even in a 540, There’s no way your going to notice the .2 second improvement in off-the line acceleration in daily driving, but you will notice the understeer. AWD is only going to improve your acceleration off the line.

Once the car is already rolling, past 20mph or so, the the AWD vehicle will be at a disadvantage in acceleration due to the extra weight. The improved traction is only really going to benefit you from a standstill and in inclement weather. All other times it’s a detriment rather than a benefit.

AWD does start to become more beneficial at higher power levels, but you really need to get into the 500hp+ range to see the benefit of the AWD system really have a meaningful performance impact.

Fact: Your post reads like a 1980’s public service announcement
Question: are you human or a government drone working for PBS putting out videos for 7th graders health classes

Last edited by wknddrivr; 05-02-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #14
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Um yeah it is if you know how to drive.

OP is considering a 520d. There is no difference in acceleration on that model between the x-drive and RWD.

Even in a 540, There's no way your going to notice the .2 second improvement in off-the line acceleration in daily driving, but you will notice the understeer. AWD is only going to improve your acceleration off the line.

Once the car is already rolling, past 20mph or so, the the AWD vehicle will be at a disadvantage in acceleration due to the extra weight. The improved traction is only really going to benefit you from a standstill and in inclement weather. All other times it's a detriment rather than a benefit.

AWD does start to become more beneficial at higher power levels, but you really need to get into the 500hp+ range to see the benefit of the AWD system really have a meaningful performance impact.

Fact: Your post reads like a 1980's public service announcement
Question: are you human or a government drone working for PBS putting out videos for 7th graders health classes
Dude no matter how much you want it to be, it's not a fact. If you think it is you need to go back to school. It's an opinion.

Who looks like a 7th grader now?

You can't take something you believe (opinion) and make it fact. Sorry.

Go troll someone else.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #15
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dude no matter how much you want it to be, it's not a fact. If you think it is you need to go back to school. It's an opinion.

Go troll someone else.
Let me make sure you I understand your definition of fun.

Accelerating from 0-60 2/10ths of a second faster makes the car more fun?

There are a bunch of flaws in that argument. Without using launch control, you’re not going to experience the 2/10th of a second improved acceleration. Do you use launch control every time a light turns green?

Even if you did achieve that 2/10th second improvement, there are only two ways to notice it because you definitely can’t feel any difference. You’d either have to be drag racing a RWD model, or staring at a timer every time you accelerate.

And then there’s the cost. $2k upfront for 2/10ths of a second. For half the price you can add Dinan Elite Stage 1 tune, get closer to 2/5ths second improved acceleration, maintain factory warranty, and not add any weight or mechanical complication so your handling will be better 100% of the time.

Btw, you may want to check your reading comp, never said you look like a 7th grader at all, just that the wording of your post with FACT: everywhere looked like a video they would show in a 7th grade health class

Last edited by wknddrivr; 05-02-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #16
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Go troll someone else.
Let me make sure you I understand your definition of fun.

Accelerating from 0-60 2/10ths of a second faster makes the car more fun?

There are a bunch of flaws in that argument. Without using launch control, you’re not going to experience the 2/10th of a second improved acceleration. Do you use launch control every time a light turns green?

Even if you did achieve that 2/10th second improvement, there are only two ways to notice it because you definitely can’t feel any difference. You’d either have to be drag racing a RWD model, or staring at a timer every time you accelerate.

And then there’s the cost. $2k upfront for 2/10ths of a second. For half the price you can add Dinan Elite Stage 1 tune, get closer to 2/5ths second improved acceleration, maintain factory warranty, and not add any weight or mechanical complication so your handling will be better 100% of the time.
Still an opinion. Do you need mommy to explain the difference between fact and opinion? I think you missed that day.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Okay I'm done being an a—hole. My wife told me to be nice 😎 No offense intended. Everyone is allowed their opinion.

Carry on 😜
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyavar View Post
Hello everyone, nice to e-meet you all.

I am about to order a new BMW 520D M Sport with adaptive suspension, I am however not sure if I should get the xDrive option or not. I appreciate that this topic has been discussed here before but I am still confused, there seems to be mixed opinions on this.

What would you get an xDrive or sDrive?
Have you tried M Sport with just the passive suspension? I had my heart set on adaptive until I test drove the passive....loved it. Had adaptive on my F31 and TBH it was a bit meh.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #19
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay I'm done being an a—hole. My wife told me to be nice 😎 No offense intended. Everyone is allowed their opinion.

Carry on 😜
Haha truce. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday literally and figuratively
Appreciate 1
drjolokia134.00
      05-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #20
THEX5BEAST
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5D X Drive/ 2018 540D M

Garage List
540D xDrive M Sport

I'm very glad to have the x drive. My F10 diesel was rear drive. I found myself spinning often, particularly with wet pavement. Pulling out into traffic with all that torque was dicy before xdrive. Now I just take off. Highly recommend. Live in Florida so snow and ice don't exist.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #21
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Having owned a 520d xdrive, then having a loan 520d RWD for 3 weeks I can categorically say go for the Xdrive everytime. UK weather is wet most of the time, the xdrive provides great traction and instils confidence when driving, especially on UK roads. More importantly I found that at motorway speeds the xdrive wandered less and felt so much more planted. If cost isn’t an option then go for the xdrive.

Last edited by TK - 421; 05-13-2019 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0