BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Exhaust modification possibilities for G30 M550

05-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
daveschroeder
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F06 650i GC

Garage List
Exhaust modification possibilities for G30 M550

Hello,

Question for those who have done exhaust modifications.

For those who are looking for a deeper/more throaty note from BMW vehicles with 8-cylinder engines, what is the usual or common way forward? If you don't mind "louder", is simply doing so-called "straight pipes" a realistic option, or do you still want some kind of minimal muffler capability involved? I've seen plenty of, e.g., F10 M5 and 550 videos that claim "straight pipes" or various aftermarket exhausts, with varying sounds (and widely varying recording quality...), but it's so hard to tell. I mean, I'm not going to sit at idle or red lights and just rev the engine...just looking for a nice, audible, classic V8 sound at idle, and upon normal acceleration.

What are the best options from professional exhaust shops and aftermarket options intended for BMW? Is there a generally-accepted best path, or is it the type of thing where options vary widely based on personal tastes? On G30 M550 in particular, is it possibly to do bolt-in replacements, or is there cutting and welding that needs to be done? It appears from the parts catalog that a bolt-in replacement is possible, making it easy to reinstall the stock system. What are good options for the deep and throaty V8 sound (which I feel a V8 should sound like), but not overbearing to the point of being ridiculous?

I realize this is a highly subjective question, but hoping there are some out there whose reaction might be, "I know exactly what you're asking..." I realize, too, that exhaust is a topic that has been extensively discussed, but am hoping to get feedback specifically from folks who might have done this previously on F10 M5 and/or 550, and are planning the same on G30 M550. For example, is it possible to simply replace the entire "rear" muffler/exhaust assembly (from "2" back in the attached) with "straight pipes"? To rephrase, I know it's technically possible, but is it desirable if I'm looking for deep/throaty, but not ridiculous? I.e., "Yeah...if you live in a neighborhood among polite company, you're not going to want that." ;-)

Thanks all for your feedback!
Attached Images

Last edited by daveschroeder; 05-13-2017 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
daveschroeder
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For example, this isn't out of the realm of consideration from my perspective:

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

That sounds terrific! And the great thing about exhaust mods is that they generally offer a host of improvements for relatively little cost.

Only negative I would say, as a sad ageing guy, is that although on previous cars I owned my main objective would always be the "wake up the entire 'hood at any time of day or night" approach, I feel I might want to slip under the radar a little more these days.

That's one reason why I went M550i rather than "full M" experience: the M-performance cars do have a certain understated power about them, which I like.

05-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

If these options allowed the mild to wild option - I would consider it. This is my daily so I'm not looking to upgrade it for performance/sound. I am liking the stock sound so far...
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
SMED
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 M850xi CPE & 23 X3 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]

Here is quick video of my M550xi with both resonators taken out in Sport Plus accelerating.

And a cold start video in comfort and sport plus.

It still sounds quite driving around normally in comfort mode. Then its sounds amazing when you hit the loud pedal in Sport mode. Best of both worlds in my opinion. It should have sounded like this from the factory.

Last edited by SMED; 06-17-2017 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
daveschroeder
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
When you say you removed the resonators, just to be clear, they had to be cut out and replaced with straight pipes where they once were -- is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
SMED
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveschroeder View Post
When you say you removed the resonators, just to be clear, they had to be cut out and replaced with straight pipes where they once were -- is that correct?
Yes that is correct. Simple, easy, cheap and sounds amazing!!
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
TexasM550i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMED View Post
Quote:
Hi, sounds great! I may have a dumb question, but a question none the less.

Researching online some say to do a resonator delete - some say you gain HP but won't notice and others say you'll loose torque. Some say you won't notice and others say you will big time. Some say you'll have drone and others say you won't....

Others say to do a muffler delete. Say it's much better than a resonator delete. Others say you need to add an x-pipe.

So I'm confused... I definitely don't want to sacrifice performance and I think the resonator delete sounds great. Do you have any idea if it affects the performance negatively?

Your car looks and sounds great by the way!
      06-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
SMED
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasM550i View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Researching online some say to do a resonator delete - some say you gain HP but won't notice and others say you'll loose torque. Some say you won't notice and others say you will big time. Some say you'll have drone and others say you won't....

Others say to do a muffler delete. Say it's much better than a resonator delete. Others say you need to add an x-pipe.

So I'm confused... I definitely don't want to sacrifice performance and I think the resonator delete sounds great. Do you have any idea if it affects the performance negatively?

I thought those same things before I got the work done. It definitely didn't lose power or torque. I would say it would gain a little but not enough for the butt dyno to notice. BMW stock exhausts are pretty restricted especially for their turbocharged V8s. If you look at some tuners websites like Dinan etc... that have straight pipe options and x pipes they all gain some horsepower.
Your car looks great too! Our cars look similar now minus the wheels being different, as I finally got the 3m window tint done. What interior did you go with?
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #10
TexasM550i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasM550i View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I thought those same things before I got the work done. It definitely didn't lose power or torque. I would say it would gain a little but not enough for the butt dyno to notice. BMW stock exhausts are pretty restricted especially for their turbocharged V8s. If you look at some tuners websites like Dinan etc... that have straight pipe options and x pipes they all gain some horsepower.
Your car looks great too! Our cars look similar now minus the wheels being different, as I finally got the 3m window tint done. What interior did you go with?
Great, I appreciate the feedback. And thanks! Yes, our cars are extremely similar, I went with the black interior.
Attached Images

09-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Thought I would revive this thread and see if you guys have any new info.

Production on my M550i xDrive happens next week. Definitely excited. Will be helping the mundane styling a bit with some Schnitzer and M Performance aero parts (no not a wing) but the car needs something to give the exhaust more character (loved the sound of the C63S that I was also contemplating). I'm not looking for something as insane as my Jag F-Type R but a bit more character is needed. BTW, I don't care about HP gains, the car is quick already.

Other than a resonator delete, what are the options?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck99 View Post
Thought I would revive this thread and see if you guys have any new info.

Production on my M550i xDrive happens next week. Definitely excited. Will be helping the mundane styling a bit with some Schnitzer and M Performance aero parts (no not a wing) but the car needs something to give the exhaust more character (loved the sound of the C63S that I was also contemplating). I'm not looking for something as insane as my Jag F-Type R but a bit more character is needed. BTW, I don't care about HP gains, the car is quick already.

Other than a resonator delete, what are the options?

Thanks
Thanks -- also have a M550i under production. My previous car was the C63S and yes, I'll miss the exhaust note. Hoping after market comes through for the M550i.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
bmwgcyr
Bimmerfest coding member since 2012
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW m550i xDrive 2018

Have anyone attempted to go to a muffler shop to get a partial straight pipe setup using 2 "T" or "Y" type tubing installed in between the mains and the valve from the second output pipe.

That way for a reasonable price we will keep same look, get a much better exhaust sound in sport mode or while accelerating hard with the valves open and that could be reverted later for those who, like me, are leasing the car.

See the picture attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 11:19 PM   #14
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgcyr View Post
Have anyone attempted to go to a muffler shop to get a partial straight pipe setup using 2 "T" or "Y" type tubing installed in between the mains and the valve from the second output pipe.

That way for a reasonable price we will keep same look, get a much better exhaust sound in sport mode or while accelerating hard with the valves open and that could be reverted later for those who, like me, are leasing the car.

See the picture attached
Interesting idea. Very similar to how it was on my previous M4...

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #15
bmwgcyr
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Interesting idea. Very similar to how it was on my previous M4...

I found a shop in Montreal that would do the suggested mod for my muffler in a few weeks from now. I will let you know when it's done with pictures and sound clips.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
bmwgcyr
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I found a shop in Montreal that would do the suggested mod for my muffler in a few weeks from now. I will let you know when it's done with pictures and sound clips.
I also forgot to say that this mod would cost only $300.
Z1Q, ZC5, ZK9, ZTV, 29X, 2VW, 4LQ, 4161, LZFK
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #17
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
I also forgot to say that this mod would cost only $300.
Awesome. Heck of a deal. Looking forward to the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #19
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi

I went to a muffler shop today. They lifted the car and looked at the system. They told me that by removing the resonators, the car "MAY" lose some back pressure and feel a little lag when car takes off, but may feel a little faster once the car is moving. Did you feel that?
Also, I compare your video sound to several stock M550 exhaust video, I really couldn't tell a difference (maybe because how the sound was recorded, the place, distance, etc). So I want to ask you, can you tell a difference? good difference? Please let me know. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #20
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Hi

I went to a muffler shop today. They lifted the car and looked at the system. They told me that by removing the resonators, the car "MAY" lose some back pressure and feel a little lag when car takes off, but may feel a little faster once the car is moving. Did you feel that?
Also, I compare your video sound to several stock M550 exhaust video, I really couldn't tell a difference (maybe because how the sound was recorded, the place, distance, etc). So I want to ask you, can you tell a difference? good difference? Please let me know. Thank you in advance.
My brother deleted his resonator on his M550i and no loss of power was felt and the sound increased greatly.
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #21
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
My brother deleted his resonator on his M550i and no loss of power was felt and the sound increased greatly.
Thank you. I actually got it done last weekend. Sounds incredible. Actually, a little louder than what I like, but it is good.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
superiaultra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Hi

I’m not an engineer by any means, but on a turbo car less back pressure = better.
Appreciate 0