BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Alcantara headliner

02-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

Alcantara headliner

What's your experience with it? Is it worth it? How hard is it to clean? Any special products needed?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarReady View Post
What's your experience with it? Is it worth it? How hard is it to clean? Any special products needed?
Get it. It adds another level of tactile luxury to the car. Cleaning process is like anything else, warm water and gently blot with a towel.
      02-05-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

+1
Got it my 540 ( and had it on my previous f10)
Lifts the interior and makes it look much nicer.
I think the standard material is not as good in the f10 and g30 as what it used to be in the e39 which is why I went for it

Not cheap and some may feel far too much for what is basically the roof!
It also includes along with the roof liner, a,band c pillars and the sun visors.

In terms of maintenance I have not done anything with mine in the 8 or so years I've had them.

If you want to see one in a car , best bet is probably to look at a m5 as I think it's standard in those. I don't think it's a particularly common option otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Have it in my f10, and I'd definitely buy it again in I'd get a g30.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 05:37 PM   #5
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

This feature along with leather dash you will get feedback stating you'd be better off with herpes and a gunshot wound than foregoing them. As someone who ordered my car with almost every option but leather dash and the headliner — I won't say a bad thing about them. I think they look great. But even if I go out of my way to think about it when I get in my car, not having them doesn't cause me a second though and in no way, shape, or form do I think my interior looks like bad without. I do like the look of the headliner but 0 regrets not getting it. To me it looks fine without. Just compare the two and see if you feel like it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #6
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
This feature along with leather dash you will get feedback stating you'd be better off with herpes and a gunshot wound than foregoing them. As someone who ordered my car with almost every option but leather dash and the headliner — I won't say a bad thing about them. I think they look great. But even if I go out of my way to think about it when I get in my car, not having them doesn't cause me a second though and in no way, shape, or form do I think my interior looks like bad without. I do like the look of the headliner but 0 regrets not getting it. To me it looks fine without. Just compare the two and see if you feel like it's worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
+1
Got it my 540 ( and had it on my previous f10)
Lifts the interior and makes it look much nicer.
I think the standard material is not as good in the f10 and g30 as what it used to be in the e39 which is why I went for it

Not cheap and some may feel far too much for what is basically the roof!
It also includes along with the roof liner, a,band c pillars and the sun visors.

In terms of maintenance I have not done anything with mine in the 8 or so years I've had them.

If you want to see one in a car , best bet is probably to look at a m5 as I think it's standard in those. I don't think it's a particularly common option otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:
Get it. It adds another level of tactile luxury to the car. Cleaning process is like anything else, warm water and gently blot with a towel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Have it in my f10, and I'd definitely buy it again in I'd get a g30.
Quote:

Thanks for all the input fellas! I think I'm sold on the headliner 100% I really want the leather dash but I think it also does the top of the doors and I'm nervous my 85lb pup might tear them sticking his head out the window!?
Appreciate 1
marsb007335.00
      02-06-2021, 01:40 AM   #7
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

Quote:
Thanks for all the input fellas! I think I'm sold on the headliner 100% I really want the leather dash but I think it also does the top of the doors and I'm nervous my 85lb pup might tear them sticking his head out the window!?
You can use some type of cover on your seats and doors whenever you take the dog in the car.
Keep in mind that, at least in EU, there are 2 types of leather dashboards:
1. Sensatec which is a cheaper leather much harder to touch
2. Genuine leather which comes with contrast stitching, more expensive but much softer
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:13 AM   #8
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

If you want to see what the alcantara looks like, look at my post in the picture thread.

Official Bernina Grey Amber Effect Thread https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781188

I quite like it. Makes the car a little more upscale. We had a thread not too long ago discussing which is a better use for the $600, alcantara or the leather dash. Fairly even split from what I remember. There's no good reason really other than your ultimate individual preference. My car already had the sensatec dash, so alcantara seemed like the better option for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I made the decision to go with the leather dash and skip the alcantara headliner. But I also had the Nappa upholstery and the leather dash is Nappa. My thinking was that I rarely look up but I look at the dash all the time.

If I didn't get the Nappa upholstery, I would not opt for the leather dash as it would accentuate the difference in the seat material.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #10
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
If you want to see what the alcantara looks like, look at my post in the picture thread.

Official Bernina Grey Amber Effect Thread https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781188

I quite like it. Makes the car a little more upscale. We had a thread not too long ago discussing which is a better use for the $600, alcantara or the leather dash. Fairly even split from what I remember. There's no good reason really other than your ultimate individual preference. My car already had the sensatec dash, so alcantara seemed like the better option for me.
I checked out your post, that's a nice setup man best of luck with it!!
Appreciate 1
marsb007335.00
      02-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #11
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I made the decision to go with the leather dash and skip the alcantara headliner. But I also had the Nappa upholstery and the leather dash is Nappa. My thinking was that I rarely look up but I look at the dash all the time.

If I didn't get the Nappa upholstery, I would not opt for the leather dash as it would accentuate the difference in the seat material.
That's exactly what I was thinking! I'm going to go Dakota as this is my daily driver and I'm nervous the nappa will get messed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #12
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
+1

Exactly my thoughts.
      02-07-2021, 11:27 PM   #13
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
In my current G30 I have Mocha Nappa leather seats, sensatec dashboard, and alcantara headliner.

If I were to do it again, I would say the following:

If you have nappa leather interior, you should definitely get the leather dashboard. The "rougher" grain of the Sensatec dashboard is a bit mismatched with the super smooth nappa leather.

On the other hand, if you have sensatec or dakota leather interior, either stick with the standard dash or sensatec dash so the textures match. Leather dashboard will be mismatched here as you'll end up with a smooth nappa leather dashboard on a grainey Sensatec / dakota leather interior.

Alcantara headliner I think only works with a full nappa/merino interior. If you have senatec/dakota, alcantara actually feels out of place.
      02-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #14
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
In the late 90s to early 2000s I used to work at a very high-end custom vehicle dealership in Manhattan where we'd often Alcantara wrap headliners, visors, and pillars in vehicles (think Corvettes; and Suburbans we'd turn into mobile offices for Wall Street big wigs). I always said this upgrade improved the interior feel much more than I would have thought. I'm a huge fan.

There's zero upkeep because you never touch the headliner. Dust doesn't even settle on it!
      02-15-2021, 06:06 AM   #15
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog face pony soldier View Post
in the late 90s to early 2000s i used to work at a very high-end custom vehicle dealership in manhattan where we'd often alcantara wrap headliners, visors, and pillars in vehicles (think corvettes; and suburbans we'd turn into mobile offices for wall street big wigs). I always said this upgrade improved the interior feel much more than i would have thought. I'm a huge fan.

There's zero upkeep because you never touch the headliner. Dust doesn't even settle on it!
🤙🤙
Appreciate 0