BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Another Paint Protection Thread

09-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Another Paint Protection Thread

Lots of threads on PPF and ceramic coating, all of which seem focused on the benefits, types, installers, etc.

I'm curious in the opposite question. Who/how many of you out there decided to just go with the factory finish and skip any type of paint protection altogether? Experiences and results?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Lots of threads on PPF and ceramic coating, all of which seem focused on the benefits, types, installers, etc.

I'm curious in the opposite question. Who/how many of you out there decided to just go with the factory finish and skip any type of paint protection altogether? Experiences and results?
Me. I decided to forgo XPel film, ceramic coating, etc. Finish has held off fine. It's a car meant to be driven and enjoyed.

Plastic films remind me of people that put clear plastic covers on their living room furniture.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I'm waiting for my G30 (M550i) and have a current X5. The dealership has been adamant that chips, tiny dings and paint defects need to be fixed, or they'll charge me.

Of course it's a lease return so they want it close to perfect. Seems a little overboard to me.

This time around I'm going to do ceramic coat (hate the plastic film) to help avoid some of this pain. 😎
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses! Perhaps another aspect is lease vs. buy. I am buying and am leaning toward not doing protection and just saving that $ for any type of correction/refinish later if needed. Definitely feel like this is a car to be enjoyed and not babied.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'm old school and simply look after the paint by careful washing and applying wax 2 or 3 times a year. I don't allow anyone else to wash the car and as a result the paint looks good to me.

Most damage to paint is caused by improper washing techniques.

Up to you how much you care about it but in terms of protection , I find wax is up to job.
It obviously can't protect against dings or stone chips or scratches by objects though.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 12:33 AM   #6
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the responses! Perhaps another aspect is lease vs. buy. I am buying and am leaning toward not doing protection and just saving that $ for any type of correction/refinish later if needed. Definitely feel like this is a car to be enjoyed and not babied.
If I was buying, I probably wouldn't do it
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 01:29 AM   #7
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I'm old school and simply look after the paint by careful washing and applying wax 2 or 3 times a year. I don't allow anyone else to wash the car and as a result the paint looks good to me.

Most damage to paint is caused by improper washing techniques.

Up to you how much you care about it but in terms of protection , I find wax is up to job.
It obviously can't protect against dings or stone chips or scratches by objects though.
I follow the same methodology. The original paint finish is developed to withstand years of exposure to the elements and a coat of wax or 2 a year is all it needs. Can't see how a "ceramic" finish will help reduce stone chips, Xpel should.
If one lives in a very sunny, high UV area and the car exposed day on day, then a bit of extra waxing will help maintain the shine long term.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 03:03 AM   #8
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Here's my routine. On purchase apply some sort of water repellent two coats, just because I like the beading. On top of that apply hi def wax or bilt hamber. Then the car gets to leave the garage for the first time and then it just gets an annual wax as above. Washing when dirty using rainwater rinse so no wiping dry and no water spots. I have a feeling that too much polishing and washing causes paint damage.

Oh also treat all seals with bmw gummi pflege, all Windows except front with rainex and ensure wheels and under sills are dealt with as the paintwork.

I know it's controversial but I also fit mud flaps.

You can tell I buy outright!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 03:13 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep

+1for rainx, best invention since the windscreen super!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 04:46 AM   #10
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Do you apply to the front screen, AP?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 05:18 AM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep

Yes , in fact all external windows.

It keeps the windscreen clean and means you can drive on motorways in the rain without your wipers on as the water just beads off. Increases visibility considerably even when it it raining heavily.

Trick to applying is put on and wipe over glass and the wipe off with a damp tissue and then dry with a dry tissue , repeat if necessary as it can fog. Once done it looks spotless.

Sure there are equivalents out there but have personally used this for years and thinks it's brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes , in fact all external windows.

It keeps the windscreen clean and means you can drive on motorways in the rain without your wipers on as the water just beads off. Increases visibility considerably even when it it raining heavily.

Trick to applying is put on and wipe over glass and the wipe off with a damp tissue and then dry with a dry tissue , repeat if necessary as it can fog. Once done it looks spotless.

Sure there are equivalents out there but have personally used this for years and thinks it's brilliant.
Agreed - have been using RainX with almost this same application method on all my cars for years. While not quite the same, I also tend to use RainX washer fluid. It doesn't really clean any better but it supposedly replenishes the sealant in between actual applications.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep

Didn't realise they made a washer fluid but to be honest, I rarely use the washer fluid anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #14
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't realise they made a washer fluid but to be honest, I rarely use the washer fluid anyway.
I definitely prefer a proper wash, but I live in the southern US and my windshield encounters quite a few bugs during the summer months. So, the washer comes into play from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 11:42 PM   #15
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I found that the micro drops of water on the front screen are a distraction that led to misting as you describe. Maybe I'll try a small area as per your method.

On the rear screen I found that the drops beef and restrict visibility. I miss the wiped from previous estates/tourings

Trouble is once it's on its very difficult to remove
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 02:17 AM   #16
AP
Major General
Rep

I only get the misting on first application, I simply spray with a light layer of water and dry again with a tissue and repeat as necessary.
once it's clean , that's it, it remains that way for months.

I assuming there are no previous products on the windscreen? no polishes ?

When the wipers are used, it produces a clean wipe of the screen.

Really imho give it 10/10. Just love the way I can drive along the motorway in heavy rain without wipers on at all, the water beads off and I can see clearly ahead whilst everyone else has their wipers frantically trying their best.
note a beaded drop of water takes up less estate than a drop of water that has "splurged" on the screen so there is more glass for you to look through which makes such a difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 04:04 AM   #17
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok I'll give it a go! Thanks for the s art of persuasion
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 05:24 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
I'm waiting for my G30 (M550i) and have a current X5. The dealership has been adamant that chips, tiny dings and paint defects need to be fixed, or they'll charge me.

Of course it's a lease return so they want it close to perfect. Seems a little overboard to me.

This time around I'm going to do ceramic coat (hate the plastic film) to help avoid some of this pain. 😎
That stops nothing, just keeps a shine without to much work.
I never bother with these aids, I apply reload over White Shark, does the trick, and top up now and again with reload, takes 20 minutes tops, always looks good.
      09-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #19
AP
Major General
Rep

I'd have thought lease returns will accept a certain amount of dings and scratches within reason as wear and tear? I guess that leeway is down to whether you are leasing another car or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #20
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

I view the PPF as a benefit to avoid rock chips and other paint issues caused from road hazards. Wax and other products can help with the luster and UV protection of the paint, but PPF serves a different function in my view.