BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Toyota Supra

12-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #1343
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
Apart from that it's an interesting comment, we say the same about american brands. So probably a bit of bias involved. But objectively , especially build quality is way worse in american brands compared to european (no, I'm not talking just about Tesla).
Ironic, because many American brands have FAR better in reliability than German brands. That old myth that American cars suck and have poor reliability is bias on your part. Now if you don't like American cars and they suck for other reasons, that's fine, but that's not what we are talking about here.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #1344
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Ironic, because many American brands have FAR better in reliability than German brands. That old myth that American cars suck and have poor reliability is bias on your part. Now if you don't like American cars and they suck for other reasons, that's fine, but that's not what we are talking about here.
The GM twin midsize trucks are BY FAR the least reliable new vehicle out right now. Their 'new' 8 speed trannies are absolute garbage, and they have tons of electrical problems. 2nd is the Camaro... American quality is usually pretty garbage IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #1345
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
The GM twin midsize trucks are BY FAR the least reliable new vehicle out right now. Their 'new' 8 speed trannies are absolute garbage, and they have tons of electrical problems. 2nd is the Camaro... American quality is usually pretty garbage IMO.
That may be true, don't know. Show some data. Either way, you are referring to a specific model, not an entire brand (for disclosure, I'm not a GM fan, but I am a fan of actual data).

On that note, EVERY BMW model has massive issues with gaskets, plus a variety of minor issues, annoyances, and long term reliability problems. That's an entire brand, not just one model with a transmission that is actually sourced from a 3rd party supplier. All of us here know that is true, but we still somehow like BMW!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #1346
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

2019 Reliability Ratings:
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings

GM finished 1st, Ford finished 2nd. This is despite the fact that Americans complain about American cars more than Japanese cars or European cars (long explanation behind psychology behind that behavior that I don't have time to get into). That doesn't mean we have to like the actual cars that these brands are producing, it just means that we can't make current statements about reliability based on historical shortcomings.

BTW, nice M2C!!

Last edited by thebmw; 12-15-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 3
See5449.00
Conissah1574.50
N54Yankee2706.00
      12-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #1347
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:

GM finished 1st, Ford finished 2nd. This is despite the fact that Americans complain about American cars more than Japanese cars or European cars (long explanation behind psychology behind that behavior that I don't have time to get into). That doesn't mean we have to like the actual cars that these brands are producing, it just means that we can't make current statements about reliability based on historical shortcomings.

BTW, nice M2C!!
Hang on ... Which brand finished 3rd in your reference above?

BMW.

Yet, in the post previous to this one, you go on and on about how every BMW has gasket issues, issues, annoyances, et. al.

I think the point to be made here is that one can fudge stats just about any way one wants. (J.D. Power certainly does.)

It's no secret that American marques have made great inroads into debunking its poor-reliability stereotype. It's also no secret that Japanese marques have lost ground in the same field. It's no secret, as well, that Italian- and British-built marques bring up the rear.

What no one seems to want to acknowledge is what the 4th-place finisher in the provided results -- Kia -- represents: : How comparatively reliable most Korean marques now are.
Appreciate 2
Conissah1574.50
Mingwan1891.00
      12-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #1348
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Just about any car is dead reliable now. Well, barring Alfa. Since so many cars are half liter per cylinder with a ZF8, it's perhaps not that surprising.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #1349
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #1350
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Well, I wonder how they measure their reliability metrics. If that’s just over the warranty period then BMWs are dead reliable.
Was looking at my cars service records and before the end of warranty it only had tire and oil changes. There might have been an ofhg leak and vanos solenoid replacement, but these might have been at 80kmiles. There also was a valve cover gasket leak at 80kmiles, too. I was very shocked by the quotes to get these repairs as well as the run flat tire prices, though.
Anyways, these were all past the regular warranty period so not likely to be caught by JD Power
@VifferMike - am I correct to assume that viffer in your nickname refers to Honda VFR?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #1351
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Well, I wonder how they measure their reliability metrics. If that’s just over the warranty period then BMWs are dead reliable.
Was looking at my cars service records and before the end of warranty it only had tire and oil changes. There might have been an ofhg leak and vanos solenoid replacement, but these might have been at 80kmiles. There also was a valve cover gasket leak at 80kmiles, too. I was very shocked by the quotes to get these repairs as well as the run flat tire prices, though.
Anyways, these were all past the regular warranty period so not likely to be caught by JD Power
@VifferMike - am I correct to assume that viffer in your nickname refers to Honda VFR?
There is a reason why many warranty time periods/mileage are set. Very unlikely a OEMs car will break with in 3 years/30k miles. They realize if it does, you deserve it to be fixed. That 4-5+ year is when things start happening.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #1352
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Yessir. Rode a lightly customized first-run '02 Interceptor for several years; was my last bike, and the one I owned the longest. I haven't ridden in more than a decade but the S/N's stuck, dating from my presence on motorcycle forums and such.

Last edited by Viffermike; 12-16-2019 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #1353
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Yessir. Rode a lightly customized first-run '02 Interceptor for several years; was my last bike, and the one I owned the longest. I haven't ridden in more than a decade but the S/N's stuck, dating from my presence on motorcycle forums and such.
Got it. Former gixxer “squid” here, not that I really was a squid, though)
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #1354
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:

BTW, nice M2C!!
Part of the confusion is that 'quality' and 'reliability' are two different things.

The ford mustang has horrible panel gaps, but that doesn't mean it'll necessarily break down.

My old 350z had a cheap, junky interior with plastics that were hard and scratchy and a bunch of black paint that would peel off any time you touched it with a fingernail.

But it also pretty much didn't break through 13 years of ownership and close to 100K miles. And I drove the absolute crap out of that car, even beating on it on gravel roads from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #1355
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Speaking of 350z - I thought about getting one, it looks like the early years are very problematic, 6mt wears out quickly and the engine consumes a lot of oil. So I guess even generally solid cars can have years to avoid even among the same generation. How did you like yours, they also seem to be somewhat heavy for a sporty car like this.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #1356
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Hang on ... Which brand finished 3rd in your reference above?

BMW.

Yet, in the post previous to this one, you go on and on about how every BMW has gasket issues, issues, annoyances, et. al.

I think the point to be made here is that one can fudge stats just about any way one wants. (J.D. Power certainly does.)

It's no secret that American marques have made great inroads into debunking its poor-reliability stereotype. It's also no secret that Japanese marques have lost ground in the same field. It's no secret, as well, that Italian- and British-built marques bring up the rear.

What no one seems to want to acknowledge is what the 4th-place finisher in the provided results -- Kia -- represents: : How comparatively reliable most Korean marques now are.
Mike, we are saying the same thing. The point was that previous reputations don't always hold true. But yes, isn't it amazing that BMW is ranking third. I'm not sure if that speaks more to JD Powers way of assessing brand reliability or how poor some other manufacturers are.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #1357
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
They usually base it on initial reliability. It is not based on how long these things last after 5 years.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #1358
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I find it funny that the Supra did not even make the cut for R&T's PCOTY (reviewers said it had no feel steering and too much BMW DNA that it's not a Toyota) but yet it made Car & Drivers 10 Best.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      12-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #1359
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

STILL yet to see one of these things on the road.

The folks on YT modding them are making them look even worse than they do stock, I thought that would be a difficult task.

The only guy who got it right was that render from pages back that took big time cues from the prototype. That thing is gorgeous and should have been the Supra.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #1360
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Same here, have not seen one on the road yet.

I do like the pics/vids i have seen of that yellow color. If they offered a manual trans it would be so much more compelling.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 07:32 PM   #1361
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Same here, have not seen one on the road yet.

I do like the pics/vids i have seen of that yellow color. If they offered a manual trans it would be so much more compelling.
You can get it in a manual. It just requires you to send the car to a third party tuner (EAG) to have them do the manual trans conversion.

Last edited by zx10guy; 12-25-2019 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #1362
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Does it deserve it, though? I have a feeling that for the amount of money it takes to get a new Zupra and get the manual conversion done, you can get something faster which comes with a manual stock...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #1363
Top speed
Private
Rep
Drives: AMG gts. McLaren.Porsche

Nurburgring times are in for the new Supra. Basically as quick as the M2 competition at the ring.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #1364
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Does it deserve it, though? I have a feeling that for the amount of money it takes to get a new Zupra and get the manual conversion done, you can get something faster which comes with a manual stock...
Literally why I own an m2c. I wanted a new Supra for almost as long as I can remember. Never been much of a bmw guy, but when they announced no manual, the Supra sadly dropped off my list.

But it did one thing for me: made me realize I could happily own a bmw.
Appreciate 1