BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Police Patrol on canyon road?

02-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Police Patrol on canyon road?

Me and a couple friends want to go on a canyon drive this thursday. I've had my share of experience, but never with a large group.
Can an officer ticket you for driving around corners too quickly? I assume anyone pulled over would not get off with a warning

If there are 5 cars, what would be the best position for avoiding getting pulled over? Middle of the pack? front?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
If you stay under the speed limit, in your lane, and under control, I don't think that there is anything illegal about it. That said, flying around a blind corner can be dangerous, even if you are in your lane.

Start crossing into the other lane, speeding, power sliding, etc. and you are well into reckless driving and could obviously get ticketed.

I can't really offer any specific experiences though.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
If you stay under the speed limit, in your lane, and under control, I don't think that there is anything illegal about it. That said, flying around a blind corner can be dangerous, even if you are in your lane.

Start crossing into the other lane, speeding, power sliding, etc. and you are well into reckless driving and could obviously get ticketed.

I can't really offer any specific experiences though.
thanks man
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
If you exceed the posted speed for the corner you can be ticketed. As a sport bike rider I know they have several other options for tickets. Following to close, exhibition of speed (even under the posted speed), careless driving (blanket charge that can cover many offenses), wreckless driving, etc. Cops know where the fun roads are located. Weekends are the worst for canyon play.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
If you exceed the posted speed for the corner you can be ticketed. As a sport bike rider I know they have several other options for tickets. Following to close, exhibition of speed (even under the posted speed), careless driving (blanket charge that can cover many offenses), wreckless driving, etc. Cops know where the fun roads are located. Weekends are the worst for canyon play.
good thing we picked a thursday afternoon then
i thought those yellow "advisory" speed signs were just recommended speeds, where-as white speed signs "enforced by radar" were the ones you had to follow?
If the speed limit is like 35, i'm sure that's enough to bust out into full understeer on a hairpin curve

Originally we wanted to follow about 1-2 car lengths behind each other, for the sake of it looking awesome on video. I said it was a bad idea, even though we would be mostly carrying our speed from corner to corner (not accelerating and then decelerating) and even though we would all be engaged in the act of driving.

Thread bust: we're all in highschool.

Anyways, thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
good thing we picked a thursday afternoon then
i thought those yellow "advisory" speed signs were just recommended speeds, where-as white speed signs "enforced by radar" were the ones you had to follow?
If the speed limit is like 35, i'm sure that's enough to bust out into full understeer on a hairpin curve

Originally we wanted to follow about 1-2 car lengths behind each other, for the sake of it looking awesome on video. I said it was a bad idea, even though we would be mostly carrying our speed from corner to corner (not accelerating and then decelerating) and even though we would all be engaged in the act of driving.

Thread bust: we're all in highschool.

Anyways, thanks everyone!
That's cool man, a lot of us are not much older than you, including myself. Bimmer Nerd and I did a lot of stupid shit in high school, along with a few others lol. Just stay safe man, it took the hard way for us to learn that we need to slow down the stupidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVitO View Post
That's cool man, a lot of us are not much older than you, including myself. Bimmer Nerd and I did a lot of stupid shit in high school, along with a few others lol.
thanks man me and some of my friends lined up our cars for a picture:
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

You guys are thinking of doing this on Mulholland (based on your location), am I right?

I hope the drivers in your crew have experience "flying" around up there.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

For the sake of the riders on mulholland, dont fuck up. Don't want to get yourself on rnickeymouse's channel (he gets footage of the road) for the wrong reasons.

And for a second i thought you guys are going to be riding -_-
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
You guys are thinking of doing this on Mulholland (based on your location), am I right?
Nope, this one is near where the 14 freeway and the 5 meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
For the sake of the riders on mulholland, dont fuck up. Don't want to get yourself on rnickeymouse's channel (he gets footage of the road) for the wrong reasons.

And for a second i thought you guys are going to be riding -_-
Riding ; No one rides in highschool, at least no one with parents
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Elsmere Canyon?

How is it?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Elsmere Canyon?

How is it?
sand canyon; it was great! i was in the lead and i slowed down for a cyclist on the side of the road as we were approaching a turn. right as i'm taking the corner slowly, a Police Car comes out of the blind corner.

thanks cyclist
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
i got it all on GoPro too. it should be a good watch. If my user name wasn't my real name i'd post it for your viewing pleasure.

as far as anyone is concerned, i never actually went
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
sand canyon; it was great! i was in the lead and i slowed down for a cyclist on the side of the road as we were approaching a turn. right as i'm taking the corner slowly, a Police Car comes out of the blind corner.

thanks cyclist
Interesting. I'll have to check that area out.

I live in South Orange County, there's a lot of horsepower out here, but not a lot of good places to let your car stretch out.

At least Buttonwillow is sort of close by.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

I live in South Orange County, there's a lot of horsepower out here, but not a lot of good places to let your car stretch out.

it's about all of 10-15 min up the hill, and the same back. Its nice cause it's about 15 minutes from my school. I wouldn't say it's worth driving out for though, no touristy attractions there.
Anyways, thanks for all your help
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #16
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Elsmere Canyon?

How is it?
i did I was riding while my friends were driving. But I get what you mean. I went to hell and back in order to convince my parents.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #17
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
i made a pretty cool video, i'll post it here when i get the chance.
would you guys, as older, and wiser adults, say it's okay to post the video on facebook/youtube/e90post? the person driving the car is driving on public roads, wouldn't want to get that person in trouble
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i made a pretty cool video, i'll post it here when i get the chance.
would you guys, as older, and wiser adults, say it's okay to post the video on facebook/youtube/e90post? the person driving the car is driving on public roads, wouldn't want to get that person in trouble
I think it depends what is on the video.

If it's just a spirited ride, then you're okay, there are literally thousands of videos with GoPro users who do exactly that on Youtube.

But if there are dangerous elements to the ride, like people cutting off, or making unsafe passes, or someone's car flying off the road into a ravine, then I'd probably not post that.

I know insurance companies now scour and investigate Youtube in their accident reports. A guy in Diamond Bar (not too far from either of us), tried to claim his GTR was in a not-at-fault wreck, and tried to get the insurance to total the car out. They then found a video of him racing an Evo up a hill, and the GTR had lost control and crashed careened off the road causing massive damage to the car. Now he's in court, along with his sister, for insurance fraud.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:

74 out to Lake Elsinore can be fun if you can do it during the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #20
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
That's cool man, a lot of us are not much older than you, including myself. Bimmer Nerd and I did a lot of stupid shit in high school, along with a few others lol. Just stay safe man, it took the hard way for us to learn that we need to slow down the stupidity.
It gave me chills when he said that. Because it is just tooooo damn true.

OP. I am not much older than you. But trust me, I have had my share of accidents/very close calls while doing canyon runs.
PLEASE, listen to me when i say this. I was in your shoes not too long ago, riding with my buddies, having a good time. 99.5% of the time, no close calls, no accidents nothing. Just having fun. But, all it takes is ONE time for you to fuck up. Nothing else, nothing more.

Please dont learn the hard way, enjoy your car, but dont take it on a canyon. One day, i just want you to do me a favor. Go on your favorite road and drive how ever you would normally do. At the end of the run, get out from the car and take a second to look back and think to yourself HOW MUCH FUN THAT WAS !............after that, take a second and imagine if something have went wrong OUT of your reach, tire popped, brakes over heated, you hit a rock w/e and think to yourself if what you were doing is worth your life, people that care about you and to think the least, the insurance premiums you'll be paying for 3 years. Compare it to other things that you enjoy to in life and think to yourself if its really worth the risk.

I learned the hard way and thats why i m typing so much at 1:30AM. I almost fell off a cliff in my VW with 4 other people in the car, not doing anything stupid (but was on a canyon regardless) just because my car wasn't in the top mechanical shape and weather played a roll. I crashed into a house/2 parked cars and hit a tree behind the house that was the only thing holding me back from dropping 200-300ft straight into a river) But Like i said, some things you just can't control. It might not be your fault, but since you'll most likely be the only one involved if something goes wrong on a canyon....your insurance won't care. Nobody else involved = automatically your fault no reason required.

Please just be safe, go have fun in some other way, go fuck your gf, go to concerts, explore places, but dont do canyon RUNS. Not worth it man.

Hopefully that made sense in one way or another and deep down inside i hope i've effected you in a positive way. Thats all that matters to me. I am 19 and this might be cliche for you as we aren't that far apart age wise and when i read stuff like this before my accident, i always said "ehhh, won't happen to me, he was just probably being stuipid or w/e" but we aren't that far apart us kids haha.

Just stay safe man & feel free to shoot me a PM if you have a question.

Good luck dude
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #21
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
It gave me chills when he said that. Because it is just tooooo damn true.

OP. I am not much older than you. But trust me, I have had my share of accidents/very close calls while doing canyon runs.
PLEASE, listen to me when i say this. I was in your shoes not too long ago, riding with my buddies, having a good time. 99.5% of the time, no close calls, no accidents nothing. Just having fun. But, all it takes is ONE time for you to fuck up. Nothing else, nothing more.

Please dont learn the hard way, enjoy your car, but dont take it on a canyon. One day, i just want you to do me a favor. Go on your favorite road and drive how ever you would normally do. At the end of the run, get out from the car and take a second to look back and think to yourself HOW MUCH FUN THAT WAS !............after that, take a second and imagine if something have went wrong OUT of your reach, tire popped, brakes over heated, you hit a rock w/e and think to yourself if what you were doing is worth your life, people that care about you and to think the least, the insurance premiums you'll be paying for 3 years. Compare it to other things that you enjoy to in life and think to yourself if its really worth the risk.

I learned the hard way and thats why i m typing so much at 1:30AM. I almost fell off a cliff in my VW with 4 other people in the car, not doing anything stupid (but was on a canyon regardless) just because my car wasn't in the top mechanical shape and weather played a roll. I crashed into a house/2 parked cars and hit a tree behind the house that was the only thing holding me back from dropping 200-300ft straight into a river) But Like i said, some things you just can't control. It might not be your fault, but since you'll most likely be the only one involved if something goes wrong on a canyon....your insurance won't care. Nobody else involved = automatically your fault no reason required.

Please just be safe, go have fun in some other way, go fuck your gf, go to concerts, explore places, but dont do canyon RUNS. Not worth it man.

Hopefully that made sense in one way or another and deep down inside i hope i've effected you in a positive way. Thats all that matters to me. I am 19 and this might be cliche for you as we aren't that far apart age wise and when i read stuff like this before my accident, i always said "ehhh, won't happen to me, he was just probably being stuipid or w/e" but we aren't that far apart us kids haha.

Just stay safe man & feel free to shoot me a PM if you have a question.

Good luck dude
Listen to these two, especially bimmernerd. He lost his car, got sued, was responsible for other peoples injuries and oh yeah.. almost died lmao. (<3 you Irakli). But you have a high HP, heavy car. Do yourself the biggest favor you will ever do motoring wise and do some sort of driving school. I would recommend Skip Barber. They are expensive yet invaluable, plus you will get to drive Lotus's, Porsches, M3's etc. And I mean DRIVE. Trust me, you have no idea what a car can actually do. You go to West Ranch and drive a 335, your parents can swing it :P You should come down into the valley and go to Supercar Sunday and go on a run with us, I have thousands of miles on canyon roads and can show u what the undercover patrol cars look like, which corners you need to go slow around, which corners you can push a little more around etc. PM me and we can talk abut this. But to answer your original question, in the Malibu mountains at least, their is a whole dedicated police force for Mullholland etc. They have undercover cars, marked cars, everything.

Edit: eVitO was reffering to me when he said "and some others on here", but he didn't bring up the name because he knows I'm not stupid, just stupid fast! hehehe had to Vit!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Too slow

lmao, Sauce you might be one of the dumbest here <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0