E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dangerous Option?

08-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #67
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

If its humming its running
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #68
wins76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
If you have CA, which I dont, it is foreseeable that you ARE lazy in the first place. Since the car has an option which most lazy people would choose, why is it so hard for BMW to put a few safety measures in which wouldnt hurt anybody such as killing the engine after a half an hour if nobody is sitting in the drivers seat and no fob is detected nearby?
CA for lazy driver... c'mon? how about driver having the auto head light option or the auto wiper? R they lazy too?

Last edited by wins76; 08-06-2011 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #69
bredi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Lazy, stupid, irresponsible... whatever. Shit happens, we all forget. I forgot to water the plants. They died.

I ordered CA for the alarm and other things. The keyless crap seems accident prone. Accident. You know, something you didn't intend to do?

I don't have CA.. yet. But I would think it could prompt you somehow like the seatbelt warning. Or on BMW Assist.

"Hey You! where are you? Should I keep the car on? Dude, where is that FOB? Where are you? You SOB!"
"Dude, should I keep it on? OH. Your not responding... accident? Need help? Should I turn it off? Should I turn it off? Should I call SOS? Bueller.. Bueller. Where's the ball?"

"Ok, I won't turn it off yet and chirp intensely for awhile. Maybe flash my lights."

"Oh. your back. Hal is that you? Ok no, your not Hal. I'm shutting down."

Problem solved. No dead family. No lawsuit, no damaged engine.

later...

"Hey! Your back! I shutdown while you were gone. Why the fuck did you order this option?"

"Cause I wanted an alarm? And it sounded cool?"

"WTF? Am I talking to my car? Hey! Who is in charge here? I remember when I could just stick it you ya and twist your arm. Stomp my left foot and slam you into forward and reverse at will!"

"Thank you for the command, please clarify. do you mean my left or your left?"
"Please speak". "Please Speak".

CA. Crazy Auto-mation. "Disable CA!"

"Unknown command". "Please Speak"
2000' 328ci MT TIAG/Blk/Alum | 1986' 325es MT | 1981' 528i MT

Last edited by bredi; 08-06-2011 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #70
AW335OME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E90 M3, F80 M3

My mom did this the other day on my driveway... i thought the lights were still on by accident somehow but soon realized the car had been running for quite awhile (the 7's are really quite!)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #71
noobster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

CO detector. All homes should be required to have one
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #72
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

OP is at fault. It was an accident, no biggy. Easy way to prevent it is to get into a routine. I press the button, then after I press it a second time I watch the drive screen turn off. Then I know I'm good.

Actually now that I think of it, does everyone press it 2 times, or just once then let's the car eventually turn off the electronics on it's own?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #73
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
OP is at fault. It was an accident, no biggy. Easy way to prevent it is to get into a routine. I press the button, then after I press it a second time I watch the drive screen turn off. Then I know I'm good.

Actually now that I think of it, does everyone press it 2 times, or just once then let's the car eventually turn off the electronics on it's own?
I just press and hold it a split second until everything turns off.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #74
jlaforn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

No CA is not a dangerous option. I do believe you can have it turned off. I had to have mine re-programmed for the keys. Prior to that, I couldn't use the CA to lock/unlock or start the car without the key in the slot. I would imagine if it can be programmed to work it can be programmed to not work.

I won't make any other comments..LOL I think the OP took enough of a lashing...LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #75
Mauryk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post

You may have hit on something here. I press the button twice - once to stop the engine, and once to kill the electronics... BUT If you happen to have your foot on the brake when you do this, the first press stops the engine, and the second press starts it again! And, if you are in a noisy environment -- say in a busy parking lot under a freeway overpass like I was, you might not hear the car restart.

This car has so many safety devices to protect us from our own mistakes - DCI, DCT, TPMS, ABS, Air bags, PDC, and on and on, there should be some external indicator such as flashing headlights or a quick horn toot to let you know you have locked the door with the engine running. And perhaps an indicator inside the car some time later verifying that you want to continue running the engine when the key fob is elsewhere.
2010 E90 335i Xdrive| Titanium Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Premium, Sport, Nav, Cold | Steptronic | matte black grilles | Cyba scoops | pinstripes | Rear Fog Mod | Clear Reflectors | WeissLicht AE |More to come...|
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #76
Jer311
Rep
Drives: 328xi Coupe

Garage List
How does this thread have 4 pages?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #77
Luke.S
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 325d M Sport

Seriously how can you not tell the engine is on? Didn't you notice the fact that it was kind of making noise and that there was a slight vibration from the front of the car. How stupid can you get?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #78
mrmixitup
Rep
Drives: None

OP isn't smart enough for his push button start/stop car.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #79
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauryk View Post
You may have hit on something here. I press the button twice - once to stop the engine, and once to kill the electronics... BUT If you happen to have your foot on the brake when you do this, the first press stops the engine, and the second press starts it again! And, if you are in a noisy environment -- say in a busy parking lot under a freeway overpass like I was, you might not hear the car restart.

This car has so many safety devices to protect us from our own mistakes - DCI, DCT, TPMS, ABS, Air bags, PDC, and on and on, there should be some external indicator such as flashing headlights or a quick horn toot to let you know you have locked the door with the engine running. And perhaps an indicator inside the car some time later verifying that you want to continue running the engine when the key fob is elsewhere.
Yep, that's why I watch the iDrive screen. Once it goes dark I know I'm good. Works great and doesn't require any other senses.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #80
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

my gas stove is also a super dangerous option! what were they thinking ??? how could a stove maker let me leave my stove on? unsupervised for hours maybe days?
i'm gonna sue somebody! that's how i roll...

in all fairness, i've made similar mistake every time i drop my car at the dealer. they always have to ask for my key in my pocket.
they seem to be very mindful of this CA feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #81
Mauryk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke.S View Post
Seriously how can you not tell the engine is on? Didn't you notice the fact that it was kind of making noise and that there was a slight vibration from the front of the car. How stupid can you get?
Not all of us have diesel engines that make sure everyone in the neighborhood knows they are running.
2010 E90 335i Xdrive| Titanium Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Premium, Sport, Nav, Cold | Steptronic | matte black grilles | Cyba scoops | pinstripes | Rear Fog Mod | Clear Reflectors | WeissLicht AE |More to come...|
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #82
Ahmad11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i, cosmetic mods

Cut the cats off and the muffler...next time you will know you left your car on.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:04 AM   #83
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Just picked up this thread... fearing there may be a "dangerous" option.

I shake my head in disbelief....

We can all make mistakes, clearly the OP has in this case, but in all fairness the most "dangerous option" on any vehicle, is the one behind the wheel.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #84
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
You're absolutely correct. I'm not sure how I could have been so foolish.

Now that I've given it some thought I think we also need to ban gas pedals. Have you considered how dangerous that is? The same holds true for brake pedals and the steering wheel.

Actally, the building codes pertaining to attached garages have been around for at least 60 years but you're right, that has nothingto do with personal responsibility. When I get back to the office at the end of August I'll be glad to check on why all keyless start systems are designed this way.

Actually, I think we should ban the car and go back to horse and buggies. unfortunately, they had an "auto start" feature as well when they were startled so we'd have to ban anything that startles horses.
Might I make a suggestion? Instead of going to work to study why the CA systems work this way, can you instead study why the one poster has walked away from his/her running vehicle-not once, but TWICE?

That sounds like a traffic safety issue that must be addressed. I've been driving for 33 years now, and I have NEVER walked away from an idling vehicle. I haven't left a firearm loaded with the safety in the 'fire' position. I haven't walked away from my children when they are in a swimming pool. I've never pulled on Superman's cape, I don't spit in the wind, I don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger...Certain things are sort of a "given".

I found this thread via search about the Comfort Assist. There was a debate going on in another forum about the CA system and excess battery drain. Does anyone know what amount of additional current is used when the system is idle (ie. waiting to "see" the key fob)? I'd suspect that it is negligible, but the scientist in me is curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #85
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad11 View Post
Cut the cats off and the muffler...next time you will know you left your car on.
The only reasonable solution is the buy the ///M model. You can never walk away thinking that it is "off" unless it IS off. My wife's Highlander Hybrid is another matter. Even with that we haven't left the engine running, however.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #86
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Why did you revive this thread?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #87
BimmerCop
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Ever since I was a child and was thought how to drive, this was drilled into my head:

1. Complete stop.
2. Put car in parking
3. Engage parking brake
4. Shut vehicle off

OP either is too irresponsible to be driving a car or hardly has any driving experience under his belt to develop muscle memory on these very simple tasks.
Appreciate 0