BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Spotify and Sortware Update

02-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d

Spotify and Sortware Update

Spotify has been very hit and miss on my car for a long time but of late it no longer works. You can see it on the I-drive but when you select it the screen stays blank apart from an image of a mobile phone. (attachment 1). I had this happen before and I managed to solve it by downloading a software update from BMW.com/update.

Checked for an update, inputted my VIN and there was an update for my car. Downloaded it to a USB stick but the car says it cant be installed. Brought it back to the dealer who said that they were aware of an issue with connected drive and it should resolve itself. I told him about the fact that I couldn't install the latest update. He asked me was I sure I had input the correct VIN. He said it was a waste of time taking the car in as there was nothing he could do and it might resolve itself!

Anybody come across this before and any solution?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
Spotify has been very hit and miss on my car for a long time but of late it no longer works. You can see it on the I-drive but when you select it the screen stays blank apart from an image of a mobile phone. (attachment 1). I had this happen before and I managed to solve it by downloading a software update from BMW.com/update.

Checked for an update, inputted my VIN and there was an update for my car. Downloaded it to a USB stick but the car says it cant be installed. Brought it back to the dealer who said that they were aware of an issue with connected drive and it should resolve itself. I told him about the fact that I couldn't install the latest update. He asked me was I sure I had input the correct VIN. He said it was a waste of time taking the car in as there was nothing he could do and it might resolve itself!

Anybody come across this before and any solution?
Do you have Apple CarPlay? You might try launching the Spotify app that way.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep

I don't have Car Play. I have a Samsung S9 +
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
Well,
If I’m not mistaken the wireless Spotify integration only works with iOS devices.. as it says on the last picture
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
AgentMax
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

You have to roll back to Spotify version somewhere around October 2018. Then it will work again.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
That BMW update website is a legacy one. It's meant to update Bluetooth, etc in the old days.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
That BMW update website is a legacy one. It's meant to update Bluetooth, etc in the old days.
Yeah, they need to take that sh** down. At least when I put my VIN into that website, it says no updates are available. It can be misleading.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentMax View Post
You have to roll back to Spotify version somewhere around October 2018. Then it will work again.
Thanks for that, rolled it back to a version from early October and it works again.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #9
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
How do you update the Bluetooth software so then. I had this same problem last year and I downloaded a .bin file in late August from that webpage and it worked then. The only way that I can do a software update on my car is via USB,
Appreciate 0