04-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #23
lakerholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post
Here is my gloss black wrap...

Total time to remove the bumper, wrap it and refit it was about 3 hours...

My wife helped me wrap the bumper and its much easier with 2 people. Also buying a quality wrap helps so much - the air bubbles just come straight out with a bit of heat.

Not a difficult job, you just have to be patient and take your time.

The weird thing is, you don't actually notice that its a different colour, it looks like it should have been like that from the beginning.

Having now done it - I love it.
Looks FANTASTIC. I'm having mine wrapped as well. I have Dark Grey Graphite, and the dark grey paint against the somewhat similar grey valance is too close and makes the rear look frumpy. Gloss black will add a perfect balance. I'm thinking about adding a carbon splitter (eBay copycatter version) to tie into my front carbon splitter (also eBay copycat version)...but one step at a time.

Where did you get the gloss black wrap from, and what brand. (Maybe I'll do it myself!) Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 05:25 AM   #24
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

The brand of wrap I used was ORCAL.

There are 3 named brands which seem to come out as the best, 3M, AVERY and ORCAL. I managed to find a 2m x 1.52m strip on ebay. You need a 2m width as the length of the bumper is pretty long. I've got enough left to do another 2 diffusers.

With something as simple as wrapping, have a go yourself. It does take time, but with a decent wrap its easy to correct any mistake. Just take your time, work from one end to the other and watch the cuts around the reflector. I actually cut mine to short (as I didn't line the reflector back up) so had to slightly patch it. You can't see it now its on the car, but I will remove it and wrap the whole thing again as I know its there.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 02:32 AM   #25
Jay R
Private
Rep
Drives: g30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
So has anyone actually wrapped or painted there diffuser yet ?

Matte black / gloss Black / color matched ?

I ordered a 540I Msport with Mperformance exhaust.. will I get a Matte Black diffuser standard now ? downside .. I still have about 8 more weeks until I get my car.

I have plans to paint or wrap Gloss Black either way and will most likely add the carbon fiber diffuser as well.

Would love to see some pics
[QUOTE=AlphaOmega4;22932946]So has anyone actually wrapped or painted there diffuser yet ?

I painted mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #26
mqmh23
X5 40e -> M550i -> Tesla MYP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance

Have you any you guys with the carbon fiber diffuser noticed that the hands-free trunk open feature where you wave your foot under the rear bumper no longer works? I just took deliver of my G30 M550i and the feature seems to be inhibited by the carbon rear diffuser. My SA and dealership was clueless about it? Thoughts?
TopgearLA119.50
      04-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #27
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmh23 View Post
Have you any you guys with the carbon fiber diffuser noticed that the hands-free trunk open feature where you wave your foot under the rear bumper no longer works? I just took deliver of my G30 M550i and the feature seems to be inhibited by the carbon rear diffuser. My SA and dealership was clueless about it? Thoughts?
I experienced the same thing. Stood there for 15 minutes one day trying all sorts of different motion in different places - nothing. However, a couple of times while washing the car, moving my hands down to wash the underside corner of the diffuser the trunk has popped open. Happens on both sides. This past weekend I tried using my foot right on the corner and bingo, it worked. Bottom line is that the diffuser definitely messes with the function but I think with a lot of experimenting there will still be a way to use it. I'm getting close!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #28
mqmh23
X5 40e -> M550i -> Tesla MYP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck99 View Post
I experienced the same thing. Stood there for 15 minutes one day trying all sorts of different motion in different places - nothing. However, a couple of times while washing the car, moving my hands down to wash the underside corner of the diffuser the trunk has popped open. Happens on both sides. This past weekend I tried using my foot right on the corner and bingo, it worked. Bottom line is that the diffuser definitely messes with the function but I think with a lot of experimenting there will still be a way to use it. I'm getting close!
Thanks for the reply. I will try that technique of waving my foot at the outer corners of the diffuser this weekend when I will be giving her a good first wash/wax/ceramic coating. Of course it rained the following day after I took delivery.
      05-30-2018, 04:15 AM   #29
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck99 View Post
If you look up the m performance instructions there is mention of having to code it when you add the carbon fiber rear diffuser. I imagine it ups the sensitivity since you are adding a layer that wasn't otherwise there prior. If your dealer installed it, they should have known to do so or you can show them. I am guessing this applies to even aftermarket and a reason I am thinking of avoidint it as I have no idea how to do code that specific item on my own.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 04:17 AM   #30
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmh23 View Post
whats funny is that some folks here mentioned how some replica items have all these issues when in reality the OEM ones dont fit well and have some of the same issues. Its gotta be coded believe it or not when you have that specific diffuser due to the added layer. It's written right in the official installation instructions.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #31
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
If you look up the m performance instructions there is mention of having to code it when you add the carbon fiber rear diffuser. I imagine it ups the sensitivity since you are adding a layer that wasn't otherwise there prior. If your dealer installed it, they should have known to do so or you can show them. I am guessing this applies to even aftermarket and a reason I am thinking of avoidint it as I have no idea how to do code that specific item on my own.
Hmmm good point, never noted that in the instructions before. However, it seems confusing. On the very first page it clearly states that the Comfort Access Smart Opener function (exactly what we're talking about) is no longer available when the CF diffuser is installed. Then it says that after installation it should be coded but it doesn't say what this accomplishes. I doubt my dealer did the coding part but I guess we're back to the original question "does anyone have the CF diffuser and the smart opener function still works?"
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #32
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
[QUOTE=Jay R;23063822]
Quote:
So has anyone actually wrapped or painted there diffuser yet ?

I painted mine
Thank you! This is the one thing that annoys me on the car, it looks unfinished.

I’ll be doing this exact same thing, although I suspect Med Blue May be tougher to match.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #33
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I wrapped mine myself. Totally changes the back end.

I would also recommend trying to wrap it yourself. With the help from my Wife, we managed a decent job.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:32 AM   #34
bobbyggx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW G30 540i xDrive

Hi guys,

Apologize for jumping in the thread, but I am thinking of installing F90 diffuser on my M bumper and based on TIS information in order to remove/install the diffuser I have to remove the bumper, which seems rather too much for me, thus I wanted to ask you guys how did you removed it?

Are you removing the bumper or you go and remove only the diffuser? If so, how does this works, I saw the clips and they are not that big, but may be it could give us hard time to remove?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 07:28 AM   #35
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Here's mine - gloss black lower/CF diffuser...and to answer some of the queries above - no, you do not have to remove the entire bumper if you have the M package and no, the carbon fiber diffuser does NOT interfere at all with the foot trunk opening function - at least not on my car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #36
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlf750 View Post
Here's mine - gloss black lower/CF diffuser...and to answer some of the queries above - no, you do not have to remove the entire bumper if you have the M package and no, the carbon fiber diffuser does NOT interfere at all with the foot trunk opening function - at least not on my car.
Hi mate where did you get this diffuser from and how easy is it to install?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #37
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
ebay, took maybe 10 minutes but this was probably after I had already done it a few times with various other variants. This one was all gloss black. I had a leftover carbon fiber lower diffuser from another return (that I didn't have to return, but got my money back) so I used the CF. fitment is very very good I have to say, really no gaps. there are screws underneath that you need to remove, that's it
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #38
wfydaniel
Private
China
Rep
Drives: G30 540i + G82 M4C Xdrive

I painted mine to match the body color
Attached Images

G30 540i Bluestone
G82 M4C Xdrive IoMG / YMB
Golf 7.5 280tsi White
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      04-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #39
MrLatte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

csm7djs was it difficult to remove and reattach?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #40
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540i View Post
csm7djs was it difficult to remove and reattach?
Seriously no. It was really simply. Takes about 5 minutes to remove.

Take photos before hand if your unsure.

The wrap took about 2 hours. I started it and my wife took over and was really good at it. Heat and stretch then repeat. No bumps or air bubbles.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #41
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post
Here is my gloss black wrap...

Total time to remove the bumper, wrap it and refit it was about 3 hours...

My wife helped me wrap the bumper and its much easier with 2 people. Also buying a quality wrap helps so much - the air bubbles just come straight out with a bit of heat.

Not a difficult job, you just have to be patient and take your time.

The weird thing is, you don't actually notice that its a different colour, it looks like it should have been like that from the beginning.

Having now done it - I love it.
Was planning to do the same and came across your post. Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #42
prime300
Paul C
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 N55 M Sport

Had mine wrap in gloss black…
Having the diffuser in a lighter color than the color..was really bothering me 😂
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 07:04 AM   #43
jag81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX, E87 130i

Quote:
Ok.. So after seeing this pic I think I am re-thinking my rear look

Based on this I am gonna pass on the Gloss Black 540I emblem and def stay with the Gloss Black Bumper trim and finned diffuser..

Don't think the Carbon Fiber diffuser goes well with the Gloss Black and the Bluestone..

But at the same time , I will probably still add the Carbon lip spoiler

but going to leave my Mperformance Exhaust tips Chrome at first as well as the emblem.

I could always plasti-dip and exhaust tip and look at the difference between black or Chrome to make my decision from there..

Think I will also pass on the side sills I was considering ordering. (was never going to add the Mperformance stickers though)

for the Front I have gloss black Grills and side grills standard. Think I am going to add the bluestone color matched front side reflectors, tint windows and probably Gloss Black Wrap the roof... but still unsure I want a mixture of Sport and luxury .. I love the sport look more just don't want to over do it on my 5. A proper Blend is what I am aiming for

Sounds to like you may want to take some inspiration from this thread https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751248&page=9
Appreciate 1