BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Head Up Screen retrofit (new accessory) (BMW part # 62 30 2 361 627)

Closed Thread

07-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #133
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
This of course is 'In Your Opinion'. in other eyes, it is a 'GOOD' Gimmick!!
It has nothing to do with his/her opinion but the fact and the whole idea behind the HUD. What you have hear is a cheap alternative that does not do half the job it is intended by the HUD technology.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #134
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is View Post
It has nothing to do with his/her opinion but the fact and the whole idea behind the HUD. What you have hear is a cheap alternative that does not do half the job it is intended by the HUD technology.
Like i said, In Your Opinion! Don't think that because you feel this way or the other poster does, that you are right and EVERYONE in the universe should feel that way.

Man, you are entitled to your Opinion, and i have nothing against that, but it IS ONLY AN OPINION, Mine??? Is different to yours
      07-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #135
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Like i said, In Your Opinion! Don't think that because you feel this way or the other poster does, that you are right and EVERYONE in the universe should feel that way.

Man, you are entitled to your Opinion, and i have nothing against that, but it IS ONLY AN OPINION, Mine??? Is different to yours
Do you understand the difference between the Opinion and Fact?
My opinion is that it looks cheap and would not use it. The fact is that it is NOT a HUD and should not be called that as the HUD technology means something else...

How I know this - well, my last job was developing the next gen of HUD that will start showing up in the 2017/18 vehicles...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #136
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
My opinion is that it looks cheap and would not use it. The fact is that it is NOT a HUD and should not be called that as the HUD technology means something else...

How I know this - well, my last job was developing the next gen of HUD that will start showing up in the 2017/18 vehicles...
I really don,t care if in your last job if you invented HUD, it is still an opinion and I am aware of the difference in fact and opinion.

Now you have moved on to whether it should be called a HUD, that mate is a different argument and one that should be directed at BMW as they actually call it a HUD display.
For me I don,t care what you or BMW want to call it, I my OPINION, it is good (when mine worked).

Will I buy it again when available in uk.....YES.

End off!
      07-04-2015, 04:30 AM   #137
TheGlobetrotter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Guys is this for the F30 only?
      07-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #138
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Whatever! Correct me if I am wrong, but is this not an aftermarket kit that has been created for cars that...

- Did not have the HUD in their specification when they were manufactured?

- Did not have the HUD fitted because the original owner did not want it and the new owner wants the closest to the principle of the OEM HUD but cannot have it retrofitted on cost grounds?

So is it not up to the individual's personal choice based on what he sees and it costs to have it installed? If in his opinion it worth it, then he goes ahead. If he does not like what he sees, then that is the end of it for him!

I have been following this thread with interest and would have considered purchasing it if some kind of special film could have been put on the screen in front of the driver instead of the flip up screen that in my opinion is a distraction and in my opinion should be more adjustable for different driving position heights.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #139
bimmer_yu
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d + BMW E89 35i

Quote:

Strange that "engineer developing 2017/2018 HUD system" can't read what box says - its not called HUD but Head Up Screen (check thread title as well).

And I dont see "real car HUD" being much more advanced from technology point of view... It's still basically just an reflection on a windshield. Pretty basic stuff espec. for 2015. Don't need to be engineer to know that...

Last edited by bimmer_yu; 07-05-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #140
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_yu View Post
Strange that "engineer developing 2017/2018 HUD system" can't read what box says - its not called HUD but Head Up Screen (check thread title as well).

And I dont see "real car HUD" being much more advanced from technology point of view... It's still basically just an reflection on a windshield. Pretty basic stuff espec. for 2015. Don't need to be engineer to know that...
First, how did you come up with a conclusion that I am an engineer?
Second, the title says HUD Screen
Third, it is much more than the reflection on the windshield and the next gen will address a few technology shortcomings like the viewing angle, color, sharpness, brightness, etc. yes, the technology did evolve since it was first introduced.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #141
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlobetrotter View Post
Guys is this for the F30 only?
No, it fits MOST Beemers, there is a list on the BMW site for this product that shows what it can fit. Pretty extensive!

I liked it, but some thought it looked silly stuck on the apex of the dash curve.

I had it fitted to my E90, until mine stopped working.
      07-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #142
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Being pedantic, it actually says "BMW Head Up Display Screen retrofit (new accessory) (BMW part # 62 30 2 361 627)"

So the word Display and Screen are BOTH in the title!

But Whatever!
      07-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #143
TheGlobetrotter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Quote:
No, it fits MOST Beemers, there is a list on the BMW site for this product that shows what it can fit. Pretty extensive!

I liked it, but some thought it looked silly stuck on the apex of the dash curve.

I had it fitted to my E90, until mine stopped working.
What do you mean it stopped working?!
      07-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #144
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlobetrotter View Post
What do you mean it stopped working?!
Had it on my dash about 8 days, working perfectly and was really pleased with the info i was presented with from the car and also from the Nav.

Then the display started to fade, so i turned up the brightness to compensate. Now in bright sunlight the display was perfect and like a phone it had an auto setting so it dimmed it at night to not blind you and increased in brighter conditions.

I turned this off and went to manually adjust the brightness. Gradually over a period of about 3 days the display got dimmer and dimmer despite now turned up to full brightness, until some of the characters in the display got so dim as to disappear altogether.

I bought it from a German Main BMW dealer who refused to replace it......Long story short, i claimed via Credit Card refund and sent the device back to them with a middle finger salute!

Will i buy another....? yes but only when (If) they become available from a BMW dealer in UK, so if it goes wrong again, i can have an English head to head slanging match instead of a pigeon english email slanging match (Thank you Google Translation !).

If you look back on this thread there is a longer story to my HUD woes!!

When it worked it was great!!!
      07-08-2015, 03:46 AM   #145
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejohn View Post
I had one retrofitted to my x1 but sadly it doesn't work. Will have to take my car back to check connection
Can you please post pic to show how it integrates with X1's dash?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #146
bimmer_yu
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d + BMW E89 35i

Quote:
First, how did you come up with a conclusion that I am an engineer?
Third, it is much more than the reflection on the windshield and the next gen will address a few technology shortcomings like the viewing angle, color, sharpness, brightness, etc. yes, the technology did evolve since it was first introduced.
Then what - you designed GUI/menus? Does that make you a technology expert whose oppinion is worth more than other's or just arrogant? Thread title says HUD Screen, indeed, but this is Internet thread not official BMW communication. Check what box says. Nobody is misleading customers here... Its called Head Up Screen - I dont know why you stuck in comparison with HUD...

Quote:
will address a few technology shortcomings like the viewing angle, color, sharpness, brightness, etc. yes, the technology did evolve since it was first introduced.
OK, now I understand - basically new/better coating layer on the windshield will be applied so colors will be richer and viewing angles will be slightly better. Still, 20th century recycled technology for a lot of money.

Both things (HUD/HUS) are not some breathtaking technologies - rather things that are nice to have and show...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #147
MrBimmerM235i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

it looks like shit tbh...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #148
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i E90

For those that has it installed, looking at the wiring diagram you can install it through the OBD port if you really want if I am reading it correctly.

A4 CAN High
A5 CAN Low
A3 Ground
A2 Power?

And in theory it should work?

09 E90 328i 3IM, Eurocharged, K&N, 80W LED Angel
Coding: Digi Speed, Express Up Fob, Wipe Wash Count, Weather Station, Headlight Sensitivity
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #149
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by david51 View Post
I cut my dashboard (it is best to stick to the overly complicated dashboard cut)
setting good position head-node and after I have everything covered in black
leatherette
That's original.

1. But isn't it better for the device to 'breathe', instead of being covered ? The device can become pretty warm.

2. Isn't it complicated to reset the device ? So far I had to reset it twice. On the one hand, my smartphone did recognize the device but, on the other hand, failed to connect to the device. So I clicked the reset button of the device (use a toothpick) and contact was re-established at once. Isn't it a bit of a hassle if you first got to remove the leatherette for performing a reset ?
      07-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #150
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
If my memory serves me correctly, my original thread title referred to "Head Up Screen" (as indicated on the box) but - except if mistaken - admins changed it to "Head Up Display Screen".

So, I just changed the title again to "Head Up Screen", and to avoid any possible confusion I also modified the first line of the first post.

This device does not pretend to be a HUD. As indicated before, it's a retrofit tool, no artefact. Who cares whether others might consider it an ugly duckling sitting on the dashboard ? It's supposed to be a driving aid. Regardless its peculiar looks, it's fit for purpose and delivers.

Quote:
I guess you refer to the head up display instead of to the head up screen.

As regards the head up screen, no issues with viewing angle (display can be tilted), color (white/green/red/yellow), sharpness (decent contrast - 55% up to 65% transparency), brightness (adjustable - 800 cd/m² up to 1,100 cd/m²). If you encounter a low sitting sun limiting visibility of the displayed info, use the black back cover.

What I would have preferred: displaying (metric) hp instead of kW.
      07-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #151
david51
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw M3 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That's original.

1. But isn't it better for the device to 'breathe', instead of being covered ? The device can become pretty warm.

2. Isn't it complicated to reset the device ? So far I had to reset it twice. On the one hand, my smartphone did recognize the device but, on the other hand, failed to connect to the device. So I clicked the reset button of the device (use a toothpick) and contact was re-established at once. Isn't it a bit of a hassle if you first got to remove the leatherette for performing a reset ?

HUD does not heat much and so far no problems it works perfectly (I did not need to re initialize)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #152
binbin93
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

it's great product.
is it suitable for BMW X5 E70?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #153
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by binbin93
it's great product.
is it suitable for BMW X5 E70?
thanks
Will not fit. See post #1.
      07-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #154
Summer Hu
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: BMWX3 silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
A BMW Group press release of Nov 24, 2014 mentions the release of a "BMW Head-Up Screen" as accessory:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__4308

Thoughts and experiences ?
-------------------------
"Innovative BMW Head-Up Screen makes driving safer.
Driving a car without the BMW Head-Up Display doesn’t mean missing out on the additional safety it provides. Indeed, the innovative new Head-Up Screen from the Original BMW Accessories range likewise allows navigation instructions and the latest vehicle information to be displayed in the driver’s field of view. The Head-Up Screen can be used in almost all BMW vehicles, workshop installation is quick and the cable used to connect it with the vehicle electronics is barely visible. It can also be retrofitted at any time. All the information can be viewed on the transparent display and is positioned directly in the driver’s line of sight. The information on the Head-Up Screen is very easy to read, even in direct sunlight, which means drivers no longer have to take their eyes off the traffic and can concentrate without interruption on events on the road. The result is an improvement in both safety and comfort at the wheel. The Head-Up Screen shows a range of vehicle information, such as the fuel gauge and – when the temperature drops – a warning of black ice. Other functions include an output display, torque display, cruise control display, the current speed limit, a traffic jam warning and the altitude above sea level. Complementing the Head-Up Screen is the BMW Head-Up Screen app for Android and iOS, which can be used to adjust all the Head-Up Screen’s settings, such as the display brightness and selection of information to be shown. The BMW Head-Up Screen receives its navigation data via Wi-Fi using an app on the driver’s smartphone developed by Garmin and BMW (available for Android and iOS). Owners can download a free update for the navigation app once a year. Both apps are free."

-------------------------
Attachment 1123572

Thanks for the 'heads up' (no pun intended) about the HUD (actually "HUS" ), eeghie

I consider biting the bullet and getting it for my 1M.

Technical information about the "Head-Up Screen" (according to BMW):
"Transparent OLED Display
Screen dimensions: 125 mm x 42 mm
Luminance: About 800 cd/m² (max 1,100 cd/m²).
Transparency: Around 55% (65% max.). For comparison, a dot-matrix display has a max. luminance of only 500 cd/m² and a transparency of 40%.
Operating temperature: -40°C ~ +95°C
Humidity: 90%"
Cross-referencing to other threads about this device:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1084177
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067637
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111197

Installation instructions: here (PDF - 29 pages - 1.1MB). This document reports that it suits the following models:
  • BMW 1 Series (E81, E82, E87, E88, F20, F21)
  • BMW 2 Series (F22, F23, F45, F46)
  • BMW 3 Series (E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35)
  • BMW 4 Series (F32, F33, F36)
  • BMW 5 Series (F10, F11)
  • BMW X1 (E84)
  • BMW X3 (F25)
  • BMW X4 (F26)
Three pictures from http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1084177
Attachment 1185644

Apps:
http://www.androidpit.com/app/com.bmw.headupscreenapp (Android)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...creenapp&hl=en (Android)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/head...962015498?mt=8 (iOS)

Attachment 1177884Attachment 1177885Attachment 1177886
Attachment 1177887Attachment 1177888

Now also appearing in the official ETK system:
http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...14/62302361627

Attachment 1162788
Attachment 1162789

EDIT (Spring 2015): up and running inside my 1M.
1M = 250kW and 450+50Nm overboost ? It got more oomph than that, reports the CANBUS to the head-up screen.

Attachment 1182252
Attachment 1182246
Attachment 1182247
Attachment 1182248
Attachment 1182249
Attachment 1182250
Attachment 1182251
Attachment 1184737
Attachment 1184738

As requested by several forum fellows, some front angle shots:

Can you spot it ?
Attachment 1185635

EDIT (Spring 2015): update with first impressions and experiences:
  • looks indeed pretty neat in real life; compact and practical;
  • safety: checking the data shown on the dashboard becomes less frequent/necessary;
  • clear visibility day and night, also comfortable to read when wearing sun glasses (with sun glasses, once the screen is 'showing its colors', the data looks more 'floaty');
  • cruise control speed is permanently visible, as long as cruise control is active (push the clutch or brake and it disappears, resume cruise control and it re-appears);
  • brightness can be adjusted (you can also opt for the automatic brightness setting, adapting the brightness to the light intensity); should you prefer a full black background instead of the transparent one, then you can fit a kind of 'jacket' on the back part of the screen (it's supplied with the device, but I don't plan to use it) or you can fit it when folded down the screen to horizontal position;
  • you can also adjust the indicated speed, for example if you prefer to permanently show the real speed (on my car: indicated car speed -4% = GPS speed); furthermore, as the Garmin app warns for speed cameras, an icon pops up on the screen upon approach; I also already saw the low fuel and black ice warning icons correctly popping up;
  • you can also toggle between expected time of arrival and remaining time (time due for arrival) (though, through the Garmin app, not through the BMW Head-Up Screen app settings);
  • if you're bored by the view, you can fold down the screen to full horizontal position;
  • when driving at night, the car in front of you undoubtedly notices that 'something' is going on above your dashboard - looks peculiar;
  • speed and height above sea level values change on the fly; torque (Nm) and power (kW) values change slower, as these stay indicated briefly (a few moments) before showing an updated figure; as previously commented, I have already spotted 551 Nm and 266 kW values, despite my car's engine being stock (normally 450+50Nm and 250 kW); hence, as torque and power figures don't change on the fly, it's rather difficult to spot on the screen when overboost precisely kicks in (except for assuming that overboost must have kicked in when high values are shown).
  • It's an auxiliary device, independent from the SATNAV (not collecting data via the SATNAV). If your car features SATNAV, you can 'shop' for navigation data between both devices - as if you got two co-pilots reading their own maps.
  • car data shown on the left hand side (including indicated speed) is made available by the car (immediately active as soon as you push the start button);
  • navigation info shown on the right hand side is made available through WIFI/WLAN of your smartphone by an app (free download of the BMW Head-Up Screen app + Garmin HUD app + Garmin country maps); it might operate a bit sluggish on older generation smartphones; as far as I know no data is collected from the SATNAV; hence I assume that SATNAV is not required.
  • it works smooth and serves its purpose: getting info/data whilst keeping your eyes focused on the road; it facilitates to optimize observing speed limits;
  • driver's size and seat position is irrelevant, as you can incline the screen to your liking (forwards/backwards - not sideways);
  • the left hand part of the screen is always active, regardless whether your smartphone is on board;
  • operation procedure: if WIFI/WLAN is switched off, you need to switch it on to allow your car to connect automatically to the "Head-Up Screen" network; then start the two apps on your smartphone: the BMW Head-Up Screen app + the Garmin app (as you likely plan to often use this device, for your convenience, put the apps together on a separate page of your smartphone); the BMW Head-Up Screen app also includes the optional setting to automatically start the Garmin app; program your destination and subsequently navigation info pops up on the screen as soon as the smartphone picks up a signal; whenever the smartphone loses the signal (longer tunnel) the navigation doesn't show anymore, but automatically resumes as soon as the smartphone picks up again the signal;
  • fringe benefit of a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone: it perfectly/steadily fits sideways in the open ashtray. Tilt it to the left so that the charger cable is connected on the right hand side (leading the charger cable invisibly between the passenger seat and center console, the smartphone preferably powered by the 12V socket under the armrest); result: the full Garmin navigation screen is visible too for you (without the need of a telephone carrier device), easy to operate changes and stays in place even if you brake hard.
  • no; but mph, ft and yds can be shown instead of kph, km and m.
  • as it's supposed to be a universal retrofit for many BMW and MINI models, the design of the base/foot of the Head-Up Screen is some kind of 'block' to be fitted onto the dashboard; inevitably, that ain't as elegant as a device that would be made specifically for a certain BMW or MINI model, perfectly adapted to the curving dashboard shape; so, yes, it's a compromise to keep the price-point relatively 'reasonable' (though it's already pricey);
  • this device is supposed to be used for its purpose, and not to win beauty contests; speaking for myself, its shape doesn't disturb me; as indicated above, it's pretty compact (125 mm x 42 mm | 4.92 inch x 1.65 inch) and looks bigger on pictures than in real life;
  • this device is visible from outside and you cannot disconnect/hide it (it's 'stuck' onto the dashboard, so forget about taking it with you); but its dark-ish color helps blending it in - to some extent - with the dashboard; so, yes, it's within 'prying eyes' vicinity, if that's what you want to know.
So, no downsides ?
Of course there are - I point out a few:
  • price: it ain't cheap, but apart from all its car functionality, you also get a navigation app (including many country maps) on your smartphone, which can also be used when you're outside your car;
  • the design of the base/foot of the Head-Up Screen, once installed on a dashboard, won't win a price for elegance; the screen itself is kinda cool though (especially when active); functionality has its price;
  • the device is visible from outside your car and cannot be disconnected/hidden; not very discreet;
  • the navigation uses WIFI/WLAN (not Bluetooth as some of you might think): as long as WIFI/WLAN is active on your smartphone and a connection made to the "Head-Up Screen" network, you'll have no langer access to Internet and won't receive incoming Internet messages (e-mails, Whatsapp, bbm, Facebook, etc.); you can still make phone calls, of course; on longer journeys, each time you take a break, just briefly switch off WIFI/WLAN on your smartphone to allow your messages to enter (well, as several may remark, it's safer anyway to read messages while not driving); on the contrary, SATNAV does not block your Internet messages;
  • if the signal is lost or you drained your smartphone, navigation stops;
  • once WIFI/WLAN has been switched off, you got to start the procedure all over again if you want navigation;
  • when driving abroad, roaming costs are inevitably involved (check your phone tariff plan); on the contrary, SATNAV uses sattelites and does not cost you anything;
  • navigation drains the battery of your smartphone; it's wise to always connect your smartphone to a charger cable (at least if the trip is longer); a snap-in adapter is useful to recharge and improve signal reception, but unfortunately your screen will be hidden under the armrest (while you will prefer to see the navigation map, for example from the ashtray area); on the contrary, SATNAV operates independently from your smartphone;
  • personal taste: I wouldn't mind normal letters instead of italics (except if mistaken, the Mini Cooper head-up display does not feature italics);
  • personal taste again: I would have preferred that hp is shown instead of kW (probably not integrated due to the difference between hp and metric hp); as the screen features no 'hp' sign, I doubt that a later BMW Head-Up Screen app will feature the possibility to toggle between kW and hp.
My conclusion:
Redundant gadget gimmickry or a useful tool that also Rick Dackard would fit inside his Spinner ?
This device serves its purpose - I can recommend it (also if your car features SATNAV) ...even to Rick Dackard.
Hi Artimes, nice review. I want to ask you some questions about HUD. May I know your email address? Or you can reply me by Fionahulisi@gmail.com. Thanks,
Fiona.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread