BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Michelin Primacy 3 vs Pirelli P7

04-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
EEnBEE
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d SE Xdrive

Michelin Primacy 3 vs Pirelli P7

I thought this might be of interest to G30/31 owners.

I recently took delivery of my G31 530d xdrive SE. I live in Derbyshire, UK so I usually use winter tyres. For my previous F31 I went the whole hog and bought a BMW OEM set. This time, I thought I'd try and save a bit of money because I'd spotted that there are fair number of owners selling off their factory fitted wheels shortly after delivery (presumably to upgrade), so thought that this would be an ideal platform on which to add some new winter tyres. I figured this would save about £700 or 33% against the BMW OEM Winters

So, I bought some 18" 662M alloys from a guy on e-bay who had a 520d M Sport with Michelin Primacy 3 staggered 245/45 (F) and 275/40 (R). My own car was fitted with Style 684 and Pirelli P7 245/45s all round. I thought it would be a good idea to swap to the secondhand rims now and use the secondhand summer tyres until I scrap them in the autumn and replace them with Winters. The 684/P7s can wait in my garage until next spring.

All went well with the swap - TPMS connected fine. But I cannot believe the difference in ride and road noise. The P7s gave a pillowy and quiet ride, but - by comparison - the Primacy 3s are so harsh and noisy! Perhaps there is a marginal improvement in steering precision, but this might be my imagination. The increase in noise is more marginal that the difference in ride, and perhaps that is to be expected with the wider rears. I have played about with the pressures - put the Primacy 3s to the minimum inflation - all to no avail.

I am wondering if the Michelins are deliberately put on the MSport rims because they offer more grip and precision. To be fair, my car has only done about 500 miles so I'm still in the break in period, so I haven't thrown it about to make that comparison yet.

So, my recommendation when it comes to replacement of anyone running Michelin Primacy 3s. There are smoother options out there in the P7.

I'd be interested in others' experiences - are there any ex-works SEs with Michelins? Also, I need to decide what Winters to put on - I am assuming I'll put 245/45s all round - I understand that they'll fit OK on the wider 9" rims at the back.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

I've got Dunlop Sport Maxx 255/55R17 97Y.

Very quiet and smooth. If I upgarded I'd go for Michelin Cross Climates. Had these on my E91 and they were outstanding.

Note the Dunlops are on 17" wheels which will make a difference
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I had the Primacy 3 on my previous car and changed to the Dunlop Sport Max and was surprised that the Dunlops were quieter and really improved the ride. Overall i much preferred the Dunlops.
I have the Primacy 3 on my G31 and only done 1200 motorway miles so far, too early for an opinion
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 02:00 AM   #4
M60WEB
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d SE G31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEnBEE View Post

I recently took delivery of my G31 530d xdrive SE. I live in Derbyshire, UK so I usually use winter tyres. For my previous F31 I went the whole hog and bought a BMW OEM set. This time, I thought I'd try and save a bit of money because I'd spotted that there are fair number of owners selling off their factory fitted wheels shortly after delivery (presumably to upgrade), so thought that this would be an ideal platform on which to add some new winter tyres. I figured this would save about £700 or 33% against the BMW OEM Winters

So, I bought some 18" 662M alloys from a guy on e-bay who had a 520d M Sport with Michelin Primacy 3 staggered 245/45 (F) and 275/40 (R). My own car was fitted with Style 684 and Pirelli P7 245/45s all round. I thought it would be a good idea to swap to the secondhand rims now and use the secondhand summer tyres until I scrap them in the autumn and replace them with Winters. The 684/P7s can wait in my garage until next spring.

All went well with the swap - TPMS connected fine. But I cannot believe the difference in ride and road noise. The P7s gave a pillowy and quiet ride, but - by comparison - the Primacy 3s are so harsh and noisy! Perhaps there is a marginal improvement in steering precision, but this might be my imagination. The increase in noise is more marginal that the difference in ride, and perhaps that is to be expected with the wider rears. I have played about with the pressures - put the Primacy 3s to the minimum inflation - all to no avail.

I am wondering if the Michelins are deliberately put on the MSport rims because they offer more grip and precision. To be fair, my car has only done about 500 miles so I'm still in the break in period, so I haven't thrown it about to make that comparison yet.

So, my recommendation when it comes to replacement of anyone running Michelin Primacy 3s. There are smoother options out there in the P7.

I'd be interested in others' experiences - are there any ex-works SEs with Michelins? Also, I need to decide what Winters to put on - I am assuming I'll put 245/45s all round - I understand that they'll fit OK on the wider 9" rims at the back.
So I'm not the only one who dislikes Primacy 3 RFT... I think this tyre would be fine across good quality roads... sadly not here in UK
Having weighed up the Goodyear Asym F1 and Dunlop Sport Max, (which seem to have widespread praise) I'm going to order some Michelin Cross climates, as a good all rounder and recommended by many for our typical weather in UK.
I don't have x drive on my 530d but am well impressed with getting 46mpg on longer runs and 41mpg urban cycle; maybe I might actually improve this with some proper tyres which connect with the tarmac better.

Had an open mind on whatever RFT's the car came with, after some reasonable test drives, but very disappointed on ride even with VDC.
Ran a VW Touareg 262 R.Line prior to this which was like riding on a magic carpet by comparison, and before that an E60 535d on std M sport suspension / 172M spider alloys which was a firm ride but standard fit Conti Sport rubber (not RFT's) were superb and didn't tramline or crash at every crease in the road.

Dear BMW. I can live with a repair kit and a pump in the boot. I've got roadside assistance and your own dealers advise they will sort me out in the event of tyre failure irregardless of what tyre I have , as long as it's the correct spec for the car.
The whole RFT thing surely has to be a PR failure.
If you drive on a run flat without air for 25+ miles it's wrecked. Ive seen runflats fail / rip completely and you can't drive on that.
Give us back a space saver and get rid of the lead shoes.
2015 VW Touareg 262 R-Line / Canyon Grey
2008 E60 535d LCI / Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M60WEB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEnBEE View Post

So I'm not the only one who dislikes Primacy 3 RFT... I think this tyre would be fine across good quality roads... sadly not here in UK
Having weighed up the Goodyear Asym F1 and Dunlop Sport Max, (which seem to have widespread praise) I'm going to order some Michelin Cross climates, as a good all rounder and recommended by many for our typical weather in UK.
I don't have x drive on my 530d but am well impressed with getting 46mpg on longer runs and 41mpg urban cycle; maybe I might actually improve this with some proper tyres which connect with the tarmac better.

Had an open mind on whatever RFT's the car came with, after some reasonable test drives, but very disappointed on ride even with VDC.
Ran a VW Touareg 262 R.Line prior to this which was like riding on a magic carpet by comparison, and before that an E60 535d on std M sport suspension / 172M spider alloys which was a firm ride but standard fit Conti Sport rubber (not RFT's) were superb and didn't tramline or crash at every crease in the road.

Dear BMW. I can live with a repair kit and a pump in the boot. I've got roadside assistance and your own dealers advise they will sort me out in the event of tyre failure irregardless of what tyre I have , as long as it's the correct spec for the car.
The whole RFT thing surely has to be a PR failure.
If you drive on a run flat without air for 25+ miles it's wrecked. Ive seen runflats fail / rip completely and you can't drive on that.
Give us back a space saver and get rid of the lead shoes.
I like runflats. But would prefer a spare anyway. Dunno why it needs to be either or.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
M60WEB
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree that runflats have some merits depending on your circumstances.
I believe you can now spec a G30 with a spare wheel and normal tyres so at least you have a choice, sadly the G31 like mine you don't have the option.
The Primacy 3 RFT's are now in my garage (soon to go on eBay) having put some Michelin Cross Climates on this afternoon.
First impressions:-
Ride comfort:- improved, both in Comfort or Sport, much more compliant on typical Roads I am driving on.
Noise:- wow , is this the same car..? Just goes to show how your average RFT rumbles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #7
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I put cross climates on my old 3 (e91).
Chalk and cheese. Outstanding. Ditch the run flats
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
lnaukkar
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, F40 118i

How do you guys feel the car handles with Michelin cross-climate? What about grip, especially with something like 530d and rear wheel drive, does it stick like a high performance summer tire does?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 12:49 AM   #9
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I put an extra 2psi in front and rear as the suspension is set up for firmer run flats and non run flats have softer side walls
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
M60WEB
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnaukkar View Post
How do you guys feel the car handles with Michelin cross-climate? What about grip, especially with something like 530d and rear wheel drive, does it stick like a high performance summer tire does?
Early Days but so far the Cross climates seem to have more than enough grip.
I'm not going to exaggerate, but I would say the steering is sharper also, and road noise considerably less.
I did question spending money on swapping tyres out on such a new car with only 5000 miles.
Lots of really positive reviews on the Cross climate across U.K. Forums and on tyre review sites.
I have Variable damping and sport mode now firms up the ride beautifully but is still compliant. (I might actually use sport now...)
I don't hate runflats and they have improved over time but the sidewalls are rock hard and will compromise the best of suspension setups and adjustable dampers. I expected a better ride on 18" wheels. Now I have it.
Appreciate 0