BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Anyone recently place an order? (build time estimate)

10-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #23
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyar View Post
Looks like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on you. This can happen when he does not have any allocation and was not able to swap an allocation from any other dealer. Otherwise when he places the order in BMW system against an allocation the build week, production number and even the VIN is available almost immediately. Once you have that info you can track it in the My BMW site or through BMW genius
The salesman showed me the system the see production updates with. Got a little lucky as the allocation was requested and updated the same day. Waiting for his confirmation so I can go beat myself up by looking at the my bmw status updates.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #24
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on you. This can happen when he does not have any allocation and was not able to swap an allocation from any other dealer. Otherwise when he places the order in BMW system against an allocation the build week, production number and even the VIN is available almost immediately. Once you have that info you can track it in the My BMW site or through BMW genius
Agree. I'd push harder with the dealer and ask when they expect to have an allocation for your car. Or tell them to print you a VIR showing the order was placed.

One thing - I thought VIN wasn't available until the car actually enters production?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #25
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Quote:
Agree. I'd push harder with the dealer and ask when they expect to have an allocation for your car. Or tell them to print you a VIR showing the order was placed.

One thing - I thought VIN wasn't available until the car actually enters production?
I got my VIN as soon as it was put in the queue for production.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #26
geraz
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
It certainly does feels like it.

I ordered the M550i back in late August or easily Sept. But I was able to have one custom built (not sure what it means to custom built unless just requesting the car to have certain options on there).

I only bought the car from them because they said it would be here in BC Canada in October. But i asked again in September and told me early Nov, now its early December hahaha. Not even sure when the car will be ready ;/
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #27
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
Quote:
Quote:

My build sheet lists the production number but the line for the vin is empty.
      10-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #28
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraz View Post
Where do you guys get the production number and all the details to be able to check which week your car is being built? I just called my dealer and asked for a number and he said there no such thing.
Quote:
Looks like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one on you. This can happen when he does not have any allocation and was not able to swap an allocation from any other dealer.
I totally agree with kennyar!

Best advice to you would be to go find another dealer, immediately! If he is willing to lie to you now, you're in for a world of disappointments going forward with him.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #29
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The production number changes to a VIN when "Production Begins" which is step 3 of 16 in the tracking process.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #30
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I ordered the M550i back in late August or easily Sept. But I was able to have one custom built (not sure what it means to custom built unless just requesting the car to have certain options on there).

I only bought the car from them because they said it would be here in BC Canada in October. But i asked again in September and told me early Nov, now its early December hahaha. Not even sure when the car will be ready ;/
Custom built means they have ordered one scratch-built directly from the factory with the specific options you have chosen.

Until you know your Production Week, you'll never know when your car is actually going to be built. If your dealer is not giving you the production number now, there is some reason he is stalling you. The fact that he said "there is no such thing" is a major red flag.

Keep in mind, even once the car starts production, there are several weeks of unknowns (assembly, transport to the port, waiting for a ship at the port) before it actually makes it on a ship to come to you. Given that you are in BC Canada, the time on the ship is going to be a good month.

Early December is a slim possibility, but again, if he is not giving you a production number now, he doesn't yet have an allocation to have one built for you, which means probably not.

Since you don't know when he will have an allocation, you're totally in the dark. Find another dealer - with an allocation!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #31
mberger100
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2015 i8, 2012 550xi

i ordered mine 10/3/18 with a build week 47 because individual interior:
i don't see many delivered M550's with dynamic handling on any dealer lots and no one on this post talks about it. not sure why.
my order included all options BUT driving assistance, i'd never use it and expect my next car will be electric and nearly autonomous (6 years)..

white/tartufo with every option BUT driving assistance will see it in january
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #32
geraz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar85 View Post
Custom built means they have ordered one scratch-built directly from the factory with the specific options you have chosen.

Until you know your Production Week, you'll never know when your car is actually going to be built. If your dealer is not giving you the production number now, there is some reason he is stalling you. The fact that he said "there is no such thing" is a major red flag.

Keep in mind, even once the car starts production, there are several weeks of unknowns (assembly, transport to the port, waiting for a ship at the port) before it actually makes it on a ship to come to you. Given that you are in BC Canada, the time on the ship is going to be a good month.

Early December is a slim possibility, but again, if he is not giving you a production number now, he doesn't yet have an allocation to have one built for you, which means probably not.

Since you don't know when he will have an allocation, you're totally in the dark. Find another dealer - with an allocation!
Hey, thanks for the headsup. I guess i bugged him enough or asked for the correct thing and was given a production number finally. Will give BMW Canada/Genius a call tomorrow to see the status.

I have all the options minus the dynamic suspension and the driving assistance.

and also the Frozen Grey color.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #33
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberger100 View Post
i ordered mine 10/3/18 with a build week 47 because individual interior:
i don't see many delivered M550's with dynamic handling on any dealer lots and no one on this post talks about it. not sure why.
my order included all options BUT driving assistance, i'd never use it and expect my next car will be electric and nearly autonomous (6 years)..

white/tartufo with every option BUT driving assistance will see it in january
I test drove with DHP and was impressed by how flat the car stayed when cornering. Unfortunately that was the only unsold one on the lot, so I couldn't compare it to a car without DHP.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #34
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the headsup. I guess i bugged him enough or asked for the correct thing and was given a production number finally. Will give BMW Canada/Genius a call tomorrow to see the status.

I have all the options minus the dynamic suspension and the driving assistance.

and also the Frozen Grey color.
Frozen Grey is likely setting your order back several weeks. Doesn't explain the delay in getting you a production number, but if you get a production week much later than expected, that paint is likely why.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #35
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Placed an order on 9/20. M550i. Had production number the next day. Build slated for week 41. THATS TODAY.

The refresh game begins. 😎
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:52 AM   #36
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Placed an order on 9/20. M550i. Had production number the next day. Build slated for week 41. THATS TODAY.

I should have thrown down my order back when I posted this, it's a gamble if mine will be here before next year now.
      10-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #37
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My understanding is that production weeks are indicative of when the car should be *finished*. Has you car not started production yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #38
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My understanding is that production weeks are indicative of when the car should be *finished*. Has you car not started production yet?
It's been in the production queue for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #39
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's been in the production queue for a few days.
Status 112 (Scheduled for Production) or 150 (Production Started)?

It's 1-2 weeks from status 150 to completion, so for a PW of this week, I'd have expected it to hit 150 by at least last week.

Granted, it may actually be there and the website just isn't updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #40
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Status 112 (Scheduled for Production) or 150 (Production Started)?

It's 1-2 weeks from status 150 to completion, so for a PW of this week, I'd have expected it to hit 150 by at least last week.

Granted, it may actually be there and the website just isn't updated.
I would call BMW Genius rather than count on the website at this point.

They are extremely friendly & helpful, and understand the obsession.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #41
geraz
Rep

Is there a number to call BMW genius Germany in Canada other then the BMW Canada customer service 1-800-567-2691. Or would the BMW Genius in the US work too?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #42
Bimmertrashjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Neither is real reliable. Spoke to "genius" last week and was told slotted for PW43. I had previously received confirmation of PW42. I went into production today. This is with IND San Marino Blue. No hang ups here.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #43
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertrashjr View Post
Neither is real reliable. Spoke to "genius" last week and was told slotted for PW43. I had previously received confirmation of PW42. I went into production today. This is with IND San Marino Blue. No hang ups here.
Yeah. My experience has been similar. One week its PW42, then next its PW45. My CA says neither is right. "Genius" has also asked to get my name and number 4 times, each time saying I'm not in their system...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #44
Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertrashjr View Post
Neither is real reliable. Spoke to "genius" last week and was told slotted for PW43. I had previously received confirmation of PW42. I went into production today.
Why would you say that? I don't think a slip of one week is cause for concern over reliability. A factory does run into unforeseen hiccups and delays.

And Production Week is the week it is scheduled to finish, not start!

Mine took 11 calendar days from beginning to finish, so it sounds like you're right on schedule with what you have been told.
Appreciate 0