BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications New diffuser comparison - second one is the new one

05-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #23
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
you'll be fine I'd think. And of course if you add the diffuser, you're going to need a trunk spoiler, unless the M550 comes with one, I don't recall. I'm still debating sticking with the CF spoiler I have or going with gloss black/body colored. I still have to remove the current diffuser to see if my CF diffuser from the previous purchase might fit...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #24
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok gang, hopefully the last pic on this issue - just changed out the gloss black diffuser for the CF I had in the garage, had to drill one hole a bit but it fights snug - thoughts? The issue for me was whether to keep it all gloss black but then change out the CF trunk spoiler or try to get the CF diffuser to fit and keep the CF spoiler... and yes, there are no exhaust tips on the car, I thought it looked cooler without them... KIDDING! painting them again - I had the fake quad looking tips on there but they kept falling off - not worth the hassle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #25
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlf750 View Post
Ok gang, hopefully the last pic on this issue - just changed out the gloss black diffuser for the CF I had in the garage, had to drill one hole a bit but it fights snug - thoughts? The issue for me was whether to keep it all gloss black but then change out the CF trunk spoiler or try to get the CF diffuser to fit and keep the CF spoiler... and yes, there are no exhaust tips on the car, I thought it looked cooler without them... KIDDING! painting them again - I had the fake quad looking tips on there but they kept falling off - not worth the hassle.
Lol what's the Ebay item number for the black/carbon in this pic? I like the contrast
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #26
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am not sure there is one. This is a mix of the first diffuser/bumper setup I got off ebay and then because it the lower bumper trim did not fit correctly, ebay returned my money and let me keep it all. I then ordered the all gloss black setup that I posted earlier on in this thread, that you wanted, and it fit perfectly for the most part. And then today I decided to take it all off, remove the gloss black diffuser and see if the CF diffuser from the first one would fit, and it fits pretty damn well! You could try ebay but fitment might be an issue if you can find the CF diffuser/black lower bumper trim setup there.

From what I understand, I believe the OEM setup is matte black lower bumper trim and CF diffuser. It's the M Performance diffuser. If you find one on ebay, make sure you can return it at their shipping cost if it doesn't fit. Return shipping on these is expensive because of the size of the box.

I just checked ebay quickly and all i see are either all gloss black, all carbon fiber and all matte black. I don't see any matte black or glossy black lower bumper trims with carbon fiber diffuser. That's the hard part. i was lucky and had two setups to mingle together to get the look i wanted. Although I would prefer a matte black lower bumper but i'm not messing with this again. Is is easy to do though, takes me very little time to remove and reinstall this now. It does help if you have a floor jack to get under the car easier.

WAIT! Found one, it's pricey but if it fits, might be worth it! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...oAAOSwvmxchhSX

uh oh...just checked again...it comes from Taiwan... which might not be a problem but i prefer to buy from the US and most seem to come out of La Puente, California for some reason. You could just buy two sets though and hope they fit together like mine did.

Last edited by dlf750; 05-05-2019 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #27
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am not sure there is one. This is a mix of the first diffuser/bumper setup I got off ebay and then because it the lower bumper trim did not fit correctly, ebay returned my money and let me keep it all. I then ordered the all gloss black setup that I posted earlier on in this thread, that you wanted, and it fit perfectly for the most part. And then today I decided to take it all off, remove the gloss black diffuser and see if the CF diffuser from the first one would fit, and it fits pretty damn well! You could try ebay but fitment might be an issue if you can find the CF diffuser/black lower bumper trim setup there.

From what I understand, I believe the OEM setup is matte black lower bumper trim and CF diffuser. It's the M Performance diffuser. If you find one on ebay, make sure you can return it at their shipping cost if it doesn't fit. Return shipping on these is expensive because of the size of the box.

I just checked ebay quickly and all i see are either all gloss black, all carbon fiber and all matte black. I don't see any matte black or glossy black lower bumper trims with carbon fiber diffuser. That's the hard part. i was lucky and had two setups to mingle together to get the look i wanted. Although I would prefer a matte black lower bumper but i'm not messing with this again. Is is easy to do though, takes me very little time to remove and reinstall this now. It does help if you have a floor jack to get under the car easier.

WAIT! Found one, it's pricey but if it fits, might be worth it! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...oAAOSwvmxchhSX

uh oh...just checked again...it comes from Taiwan... which might not be a problem but i prefer to buy from the US and most seem to come out of La Puente, California for some reason. You could just buy two sets though and hope they fit together like mine did.
Yeah the glossy with silver bottom is the look I'm going for, yours is what I want!! Everyone else aside from eBay is $1100+. Yours looks perfect! The link you showed is perfect. Gloss black with silver underside. I like how it has contrast.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #28
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yep, but only issue is coming from Taiwan - not sure how fitment will be - of course ALL of these are most likely made in China/Taiwan but shipping from a US supplier might be easier to return if it doesn't fit. I would send a message to the Taiwanese seller and ask about returns if fitment isn't good. See what they say. FWIW, I've ordered things for the car (small items) from China and they came pretty darn fast, maybe 2 weeks max
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:13 AM   #29
ndk1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Msport 2018 540i Xdrive

Looks great. Stylish yet aggressive. A1.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #30
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! surprised I was able to meld two different setups together and it worked. Car is in the shop now, need to get the exhaust tips back on after baking them yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #31
aadum
Second Lieutenant
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
Yeah the glossy with silver bottom is the look I'm going for, yours is what I want!! Everyone else aside from eBay is $1100+. Yours looks perfect! The link you showed is perfect. Gloss black with silver underside. I like how it has contrast.
did you order anything?
if I saw well your car is 550i?
99% of the aftermarket stuff fit only 540 and lower and with 550i you will have issues with exhaust, specially if you are having quad exhaust.....
if yo managed to fit i would appreciate some pictures?
      05-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #32
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
did you order anything?
if I saw well your car is 550i?
99% of the aftermarket stuff fit only 540 and lower and with 550i you will have issues with exhaust, specially if you are having quad exhaust.....
if yo managed to fit i would appreciate some pictures?
The description says it will fit 2017-18 M550
But when I emailed the seller they said they don't think it fits 2019? I didn't know of any changes to rear end from 18-yr19? The diffuser looks awesome and I want it, just concerned it won't fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #33
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Fits the 2019 540 with M package just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #34
skydiver22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Quote:
Thanks Mobilejo. That's what I was thinking. So...the CF diffuser I had was made specifically for the insert that came with it, which had tab cutouts in the lower bumper insert, not an indent like an OEM insert. It will technically fit on the car but I don't know how well it would fit with the current insert because the "new" one is produced more like the OEM model. I'd have to remove the entire setup, unscrew the gloss black diffuser from the gloss black insert and see if the CF would fit in there nicely or not. It's kind of a pain to redo it all but not impossible. I'll save the CF for now and see if I feel like monkeying with it on a nice day. Crappy here in Chicago lately.

If I could unscrew the current diffuser from the insert while it's on the car, it would be much simpler but I can't get to the back of the insert while it's installed.
Did you take the entire rear bumper off to install the diffuser?? or just took off the oem diffuser??? I just bought a gloss black one for my 540i... gets here on friday.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #35
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have the M package, which has a different rear bumper. The lower panel was removed and a new lower panel installed that takes the diffuser. You CAN just install a diffuser against the grey lower panel but it might not "look" right, if that makes sense. Technically, if you buy the OEM parts, you need an M Performance lower bumper panel and the M Performance diffuser - the diffuser is usually carbon fiber and the lower bumper panel is matte black, OEM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #36
skydiver22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the M package, which has a different rear bumper. The lower panel was removed and a new lower panel installed that takes the diffuser. You CAN just install a diffuser against the grey lower panel but it might not "look" right, if that makes sense. Technically, if you buy the OEM parts, you need an M Performance lower bumper panel and the M Performance diffuser - the diffuser is usually carbon fiber and the lower bumper panel is matte black, OEM.
Ok.. I have the m sport bumper and I was looking last night and saw it looks like 9 bolts hold the dark gray diffuser in, My black diffuser comes in today and I will probably do the install tomorrow. So its just remove 9 bolts and pop the tabs off the rear bumper... swap the reflector... pop in the tabs and bolt it up, if they align.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #37
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver22 View Post
Ok.. I have the m sport bumper and I was looking last night and saw it looks like 9 bolts hold the dark gray diffuser in, My black diffuser comes in today and I will probably do the install tomorrow. So its just remove 9 bolts and pop the tabs off the rear bumper... swap the reflector... pop in the tabs and bolt it up, if they align.
You could be correct, I can't recall. I know the lower bumper comes off first, think there are 3-6 bolts holding it on? reinstall the new lower bumper cover first, do not bolt it in at all. The place the diffuser on - there are two holes at either far side of the car underneath that bolt the diffuser on. They are NOT used for anything else other than for the diffuser, not the same holes on the sides for the lower bumper cover, those are different. Honestly, you can technically be done at this point since just those bolts are extremely secure. But, there are then another 3 or 4 bolts that are under the bumper/trunk that bolt to the car - my diffuser did not line up with those holes very well, so I had to re-drill those a bit but it worked fine. post pics when done!

And I know people use the word diffuser for different things, and i'm not sure I'm correct but i call the diffuser the separate new piece that does not come with the car that you install below the bumper. The lower portion of the bumper cover that can be removed from all M package cars is what i call the lower bumper cover. Hope that makes some sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #38
skydiver22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You could be correct, I can't recall. I know the lower bumper comes off first, think there are 3-6 bolts holding it on? reinstall the new lower bumper cover first, do not bolt it in at all. The place the diffuser on - there are two holes at either far side of the car underneath that bolt the diffuser on. They are NOT used for anything else other than for the diffuser, not the same holes on the sides for the lower bumper cover, those are different. Honestly, you can technically be done at this point since just those bolts are extremely secure. But, there are then another 3 or 4 bolts that are under the bumper/trunk that bolt to the car - my diffuser did not line up with those holes very well, so I had to re-drill those a bit but it worked fine. post pics when done!

And I know people use the word diffuser for different things, and i'm not sure I'm correct but i call the diffuser the separate new piece that does not come with the car that you install below the bumper. The lower portion of the bumper cover that can be removed from all M package cars is what i call the lower bumper cover. Hope that makes some sense.

Installed it yesterday... was able to drill out and install the bolts underneath, and the two bottom lip bolts on each end. I have one area in the middle on the top seem that I cannot get the clip to hold... causing a little bow out on the top side. Looks good but the fitment seems to be a hit and miss. Does your have about a 1/4 inch gap on the outside edges???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #39
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think I have that gap too but i don't have the clip issue, but I was very careful on inserting it due to the issues I had with the previous one. looks like you got the same one I did off ebay only I used the CF diffuser that was left over from the first one. Yours looks great! you might, but it's only my preference, want to add a small trunk spoiler in black but it's not necessary. I have a CF spoiler on my trunk but my car is black so it all flows pretty nicely. love the way yours looks as is as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #40
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
and I like the black badging. do you have xdrive and removed the badge? I just debadged entirely. black badging on a black car would be hard to see.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #41
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
and I vinyl wrapped my reflectors since my car is all black anyway. I don't think you need to
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #42
skydiver22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
and I vinyl wrapped my reflectors since my car is all black anyway. I don't think you need to
I black vinyl-ed the chrome door inserts, no x drive, and tinted the rear reflectors on the bumper. I have the small M spoiler... debating between color match or gloss black. Leaning heavily towards the color matched spoiler. Thanks for the input, the bow out on top was really starting to get to my ocd... seems like it just may be a fitment issue and not me installing it incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #43
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
you can try to fit something under or over the tab to see if will stick in better. Could also be fitment. I might opt for color matched spoiler on your car. Unless you go with black mods - as in the fender grills, front grille etc. I replaced my chrome grill with gloss black, love it and easy to do. My car has the M package so I don't have much chrome at all, even my door handle inserts are black.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #44
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I bought the all black glossy one you got from eBay. Send pics next week when it gets here
Appreciate 0