BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions Notorious BMW Fuel Flap Job resolved

03-17-2024, 06:31 PM   #1
tanda129
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i g30

Notorious BMW Fuel Flap Job resolved

I had this issue last Saturday just before my travel to BM Connected to have my car serviced, so to resolve this i just taped it up with gaffer tape. Not the best idea but had no choice.

This has been a issue for BMW's for many previous models and you would think it has been resolved for the newer models. They removed the emergency pull switch from the inside too??WTF!!

Instead of just replacing the switch you have to replace the whole pot☹️. Quick call to Sytner Solihull and £59.99 later and part was collected this morning. Thought the pot be more than that buts liveable.

There is one vid on the G30 showing this process to release pot via You Tube but some older ones showing other bmws, process is the same, also Shahid Akhtar on this group page put some instructions some years back so followed that to assist.

My process was as follows with photos and vids to support:
1. jack car up and place on stands and remove wheel

2. Remove the wheel arch cover with mix off 8mm and 10mm bolts - came out easier than i thought.

3. Remove coloured fuel flap - instructions say you put a flat screwdriver on flap end and pull, there is o screw so i was lost here, easy to put a trim tool or flat screwdriver on inner four slots and flap is released. To place back after you line up and slide in place.

4. Release the fuel filler 10mm bolts from under arch, the reason for this is to make it easier to pull pot out.

5. Tape edges of fuel pot to prevent scratches, there are four indents on the fuel pot, poke this with pick tool to break clips on inside

6. Used trim tools to get behind clips to relaese pot..this was tricky as one g30 video on you tube but worked in the end with some persistance

7. Pull pot forward gently and release electrical connector.

8. Pull the pot from left to right and out, i can see hwre why the fuel filler needs be loose as without it is difficult

9. Get new pot, spray wd40 on rear rubber to assist in installation,, push right side in first, clip electrical connector on left and snap in place. Bit of wiggling here as alittle difficult not to damage the new pot.

10. On the inside, make sure the rubber is lined up with the fuel hole to give a good seal.

11. Once all checked, bolt fuel filler back in, tighten 10mm bolts up and place painted fuel flap cover on and see if all lines up, place fuel cap back on new pot

12. Place arch cover back in and wheel back,

13. Clean new pot up with APC and quick detail.

Enjoy filling up for another few years until it breaks again....
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-18-2024, 11:32 AM   #2
tanda129
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i g30

Hopefully a better order of the images, as order was incorrect for some reason
Attached Images

Appreciate 1