BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Highway vibrations

07-05-2018, 03:39 AM   #1
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30 520d Xdrive - M Sport

Highway vibrations

I have a new G30 520d xDrive which vibrates through the seats at around 120-130 km/h. (around 70-80 mph). Sometimes it happens at slightly lower speeds as well. I´ve had an alignment and road force balance done (not by BMW), but it still vibrates. It´s going in to the dealer on Monday.
Anybody else having vibration issues?
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
Acurated
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 520d M sport Auto

Hi krill,
I have had my 520d g31 msport for 3 months now from new, alignment was off as car was veering towards the central reservation, very scary could not drive at any great speed, took it into the dealer who I assume carried out an alignment, came back ok but so far now steering wheel is lopsided towards the right and also getting a slight vibration when driving at speed on the motorway, it's more pronounced on the front right hand driver side even feels like the suspension is loose, I have got it rebooked in with the dealer for the 16th.
Also I get this loud creak from underneath the car on entry or if sitting in the car after it's been left for a while, did mention this but nothing was found on the inspection will be revisiting this also
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
I have a new G30 520d xDrive which vibrates through the seats at around 120-130 km/h. (around 70-80 mph). Sometimes it happens at slightly lower speeds as well. I´ve had an alignment and road force balance done (not by BMW), but it still vibrates. It´s going in to the dealer on Monday.
Never experienced this. Is there a possibility that your lane keep assistance is kicking in?
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

You might have a bubble on one of the tires.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
That is your problem... The road force balancing has to be done at a BMW dealer to get it properly done and make them accountable for any issues if it is not the case. Furthermore, ask them to review the force balance and have the tech balance the wheels as close as possible to Zero.

You may also have tires out of round (Very common defect in new rubber) or slightly bent rims.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30 520d Xdrive - M Sport

Thanks for the feedback! Doesn't seem like a common issue which is reassuring. I´ll report back after the dealer has inspected the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Bmw g30
Rep
Drives: Bmw g30

Hi. Have you found out the reason for the vibrations ?? I have similar problem on mine which is driving me crazy. The dealer has checked road force balance, alignment, New tyres etc. They are Now convinced that it has to with design of the rear suspension which is worrying.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
Bmw g30
Rep

Quote:
Hi. Have you found out the reason for the vibrations ?? I have similar problem on mine which is driving me crazy. The dealer has checked road force balance, alignment, New tyres etc. They are Now convinced that it has to with design of the rear suspension which is worrying
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
Bmw g30
Rep

Highway vibrations

I have a lovely g30 2,0d from 2018 which has done 30.000km. I am having issues with vibrations at speeds around 80km/h and highway speeds e.g >120km in the entire car. The car is under warranty, so the dealer have replaced the tyres, they have done balancing of the wheels including Road force balance and alignment of the car. Only after the general alignment the vibrations were almost gone, but having changed to summer tyres they came back. So i have changed the tyres back to the original tyres (17”) but the vibrations are still there and are driving me crazy.

Conclusion so far; the vibrations are not caused by wheels, tyres, balancing or brakepads. The dealer argues that it’s a construction fault on the car mainly due to the construction of the rear suspension. I rejected the argument as BMW will never develop a premium car in this class with this kind of fault but having tried several g30 I might be mistaking, as many of these cars had the symptoms to a degree.

Any one with similar problem ??
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #10
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport

2019 530e here. Having vibrations felt in the steering wheel and the seat(s) at 125km/h until 155km/h or so and rarely but randomly at lower speeds (from 60) as well. Had it on stock M Sport 18 inch wheels with RFT tyres and no change when I put Continental Ice Contact 2 non-RFT tyres on the same rims. Been at the dealer once, no solution found. Taking it back on 5th Nov.

What is bothering me is that at times the vibration is stronger, sometimes almost, almost unnoticeable. I’m really hoping to get this resolved.

What wheels and tyres do you have in your vibrating car(s)?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #11
Bmw g30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFinnish530e View Post
2019 530e here. Having vibrations felt in the steering wheel and the seat(s) at 125km/h until 155km/h or so and rarely but randomly at lower speeds (from 60) as well. Had it on stock M Sport 18 inch wheels with RFT tyres and no change when I put Continental Ice Contact 2 non-RFT tyres on the same rims. Been at the dealer once, no solution found. Taking it back on 5th Nov.

What is bothering me is that at times the vibration is stronger, sometimes almost, almost unnoticeable. I’m really hoping to get this resolved.

What wheels and tyres do you have in your vibrating car(s)?

Exactly same symptoms on mine too!!
Brand New Michelin Winther tyres 17” and brand New dunlop 19” for summer. The problem however isn’t due to tyres or size as the dealer has admitted thats it’s a design issue with the rear suspension and is not willing to do more on the car. They have issued the problem to BMW (Germany I think) and we are Now waiting for further clarification.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #12
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am quite certain when I test drove the 530e I did not feel these vibrations. It sounds really odd to me that BMW would make a design flaw like this. For me it looks like the dealer(s) are doing their best to avoid further repairs by saying it is a design flaw.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Bmw g30
Rep

Yeah... But I’m running out of ideas. As mentioned I have seen the same issue on several cars. The dealer can align the car but when you change wheels the problem Comes back. However, I’m very keen on hearing any proposals... Will make sure to Update if I make any progress
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #14
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep

I will be following this thread and will also post any updates on the situation.

If this really is a design flaw, I guess there would be a lot more complaints about the same issue here. Are everybody else having butter smooth bimmers?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 01:50 AM   #15
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

My wife’s 2017 G30 had the issue too.

I’ve tried to work it out and to this day no resolution. Luckily I notice it but not her as she keeps her speed lower than I do.

I thought it was a speed warning purposeful vibration but it’s was not. Basically they said no fault found.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:48 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw g30 View Post
Yeah... But I’m running out of ideas. As mentioned I have seen the same issue on several cars. The dealer can align the car but when you change wheels the problem Comes back. However, I’m very keen on hearing any proposals... Will make sure to Update if I make any progress
"... you change wheels the problem comes back", that's the biggest clue it is still with the wheel assemblies. Besides still having balance issues, mounting accuracy, run-out, tires are faulty, are possible issues.

A general observation, "design flaw" gets used, I don't see that, or all cars would suffer the same problem. There is the possibility the 'tolerance stack' for a few builds are contributing to a problem. Changing something that 'rotates', can reduce, or amplify the issue.

There have been similar vibration issues with the F10 models, a few persistent, with no apparent solution. Usually a change in intensity with wheel changes, balancing, etc., even if not cured. Other examples no issue at all, even as miles are added.

I recall one F10 user had gone through all sorts of attempts (changing wheel sets, multiple balances) for a solution. Never completely eliminated the vibrations. Then with a routine tire change, problem completely disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 04:21 AM   #17
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Then with a routine tire change, problem completely disappeared.
What do you mean by a routine tire change?

I would appreciate if any owners of G30 would report if they are not having this issue in their cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #18
Bmw g30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
"... you change wheels the problem comes back", that's the biggest clue it is still with the wheel assemblies. Besides still having balance issues, mounting accuracy, run-out, tires are faulty, are possible issues.

A general observation, "design flaw" gets used, I don't see that, or all cars would suffer the same problem. There is the possibility the 'tolerance stack' for a few builds are contributing to a problem. Changing something that 'rotates', can reduce, or amplify the issue.

There have been similar vibration issues with the F10 models, a few persistent, with no apparent solution. Usually a change in intensity with wheel changes, balancing, etc., even if not cured. Other examples no issue at all, even as miles are added.

I recall one F10 user had gone through all sorts of attempts (changing wheel sets, multiple balances) for a solution. Never completely eliminated the vibrations. Then with a routine tire change, problem completely disappeared.
Well, I have driven 5 different g30/31 with different tyres/ wheel sizes and 4 of them had the same issue with differences in the Vibs levels. My own mechanic has some family in Sweden which were on vacation in Denmark. They have also a brand New 520d with M suspension having the same problem. The funny thing was that the owner hadn´t noticed it before we mentioned it after a test drive on highway.

I agree that the problem might be relatet to wheel assembly but according to the dealer the problem is the different rear suspension on g30/31 compared to F10 which has a stronger/robust assembly.

I also observed on mine that weather temperature affect the vibrations. Cold weather actually reduces the vibs !?!?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #19
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep

I can’t recall temperature has been a factor in my case. Felt the vibrations equally at +30 celsius as well as in -2 celcius.

I had a rebalance (not roadforce) done at the wheel dealer today where I bought the winter tyres from (not BMW dealer). I am surprised this reduced the highway vibrations a lot! Maybe my problem is in the wheels/tyre area anyways?! Not sure if the lower speed vibs decreased as well, did not yet experience them today.

I remember at least one entry level 520d and one M Sport 530e that I drove without any vibrations under any circumstances. My car is also M Sport, but 530e does not come with the sports suspension even with the M Package so it is not M suspension related issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #20
Bmw g30
Rep

Quote:
I can’t recall temperature has been a factor in my case. Felt the vibrations equally at +30 celsius as well as in -2 celcius.

I had a rebalance (not roadforce) done at the wheel dealer today where I bought the winter tyres from (not BMW dealer). I am surprised this reduced the highway vibrations a lot! Maybe my problem is in the wheels/tyre area anyways?! Not sure if the lower speed vibs decreased as well, did not yet experience them today.

I remember at least one entry level 520d and one M Sport 530e that I drove without any vibrations under any circumstances. My car is also M Sport, but 530e does not come with the sports suspension even with the M Package so it is not M suspension related issue.
Well, the g30/31 is in fact very sensitive to tyre/road force imbalance. I guess thats why the dealer replaced all my tyres the first time I complained about the vibs. However, I dont think this is the reason ...

Are you Happy with the result or do you still feel vibs ??
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #21
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep

It is far better than it was before, but I know these cars CAN be smoother still. I will still get the car checked again on 5th Nov.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
What do you mean by a routine tire change?

I would appreciate if any owners of G30 would report if they are not having this issue in their cars.
By "routine tire change", I mean tires worn out and replaced with a new set. In that case, problem was obviously with tires and/or balance.
Appreciate 0