BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Swiss Watches vs Apple Watch

04-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Swiss Watches vs Apple Watch

This probably belongs to the "watches" sub-forum but I created it here for more exposure.

Anyhow, I saw a little news segment about how some people are claiming that the Apple Watch is shaking up the watch industry; some even went as far as stating that it could threaten all the Swiss watch makers.

I personally found it ridiculous!! The Apple Watch is a toy and should not even be compared to those mechanical pieces of art that are Swiss watches. I hate how Samsung and Motorola have had watches out for a while but when Apple releases a watch it is earth shattering.

Seriously though, I would much rather spend whatever crazy amount of money that some people will probably spend on the the gold Apple Watch and buy a few Rolex's or Omega's. I don't care if it only tells time, I will for sure appreciate it a lot more than the Apple Watch.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Who claims this? Some nerd from IT? Let me guess? A blogger? What a joke. Could not be farther from the truth. The Apple watches are a joke. Not attractive, look tiny, have a terrible resolution and are essentially slightly useless when you see what you can do with them.

No thanks.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #3
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
I own almost every Apple product there is available... And for the life of me I cannot understand the need for the Apple watch. A battery that lasts half a day?? No thank you. I'll stick with the same watch I've worn for the past 3 years straight without having to charge it once.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
I own almost every Apple product there is available... And for the life of me I cannot understand the need for the Apple watch. A battery that lasts half a day?? No thank you. I'll stick with the same watch I've worn for the past 3 years straight without having to charge it once.
Are you joking about the battery?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:10 AM   #5
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Are you joking about the battery?
18 hours mixed used, 72 hours on standby. Not a joke at all.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/09/apple-watch-battery-life-power-reserve/
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Apple watch is a complete joke and a disgrace to the swiss watch industry. $20k+ for the top end Apple watch? You've gotta be shitting me
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Not that I disagree with most of the statement here.

But there are many before you who said the same thing when Apple came out with the ipod and the iphone and the ipad. I too like the standard watch and the engineering the craftsmanship that goes into a good watch. Just because it does not have machanical movement which run on jewels and such does not mean it is any less an engineering or craftsman feat.

However,how do you explain the Apple gold version being completely sold out in under an hour and the wait time is now out past July. I would image any swiss watch maker would like to be in the same situation on their top of the line watches. There are some cars in this world which have a year wait list to take delivery, how many watch do you know have a 3 month wait list for something that cost $10K or above.

These are now a fashion item and obvious there are people with money who see the value in having one.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Not that I disagree with most of the statement here.

But there are many before you who said the same thing when Apple came out with the ipod and the iphone and the ipad. I too like the standard watch and the engineering the craftsmanship that goes into a good watch. Just because it does not have machanical movement which run on jewels and such does not mean it is any less an engineering or craftsman feat.

However,how do you explain the Apple gold version being completely sold out in under an hour and the wait time is now out past July. I would image any swiss watch maker would like to be in the same situation on their top of the line watches. There are some cars in this world which have a year wait list to take delivery, how many watch do you know have a 3 month wait list for something that cost $10K or above.

These are now a fashion item and obvious there are people with money who see the value in having one.
Fashion items? Lol...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Fashion items? Lol...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

What i want to know is why people don't make threads to bitch about how TD Bank is in fact, not America's most convenient bank, as they claim they are? Or how the Fiat 500 is a joke compared to their adds. Or about how any other item for sale today doesn't live up to it's advertised hype.

Me thinks it's just people who like to hate on apple. No matter what you guys think, Maestro is right. The Apple watch is a fashion item, in no different terms than how a Prius is a fashion item for celebrities. And make no mistake; Apple is FAR better than anyone on this forum, or anyone writing blogs, or anyone in the comment section of those blogs at marketing and making money. They didn't make this watch by mistake. They know it will sell, they know it will spark interest in wearable technology. That sparked interest will create another sub industry of all it's own, speaking of wearable technology of course.

Just in the same way that the boom box unknowingly lead us to MP3 players; in a much shorter time span, this segment of wearable tech will lead us to some unknown bit of technology your kids and maybe you won't be able to live without.

From the outside looking in, you guys hating on Apple are no less clung to Apple's jock than the proverbial "fanboys".
      04-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

^ my family members all have iPhones, ipads, ipods, and macbooks. So I'm not hating, I'm just saying. I personally would never, ever buy an Apple Watch, period (especially the expensive versions).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep
Drives: 121

Apple watch will die in the next 2 or 3 years.. it's a piece of junk.... People will realize that $100 cost to replace battery is not worth it to invest in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
CarEnthused
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT4

I have no interest in the Apple Watch until Apple can convince me that the functionality is really worthwhile. But there's some semi-thoughtless bashing going on in here that I wanted to chime in on.

I don't think Apple has ever claimed that the Apple Watch edition or otherwise is a more impressive feat than the intricate engineering that goes into developing a nice mechanical timepiece. Traditional watches and smart watches are simply fighting over the same real-estate, not their intended goal.

If you want legitimate fashion and nothing more than time-related functionality, buy a timeless mechanical watch that can be maintained and passed down for generations.

If you want a companion to your phone that helps you streamline some processes, is fun to geek out about and gives you fitness data, buy a smart watch. If you want a smart watch with impressive build quality buy the Apple Watch, if you want one that's exclusive buy the Apple Watch Edition. With the edition you're buying an image. Apple didn't spend much time discussing it during their keynote and I suspect there's some internal conflict about how they feel about that particular model. can't afford it/don't want it? Don't buy it.

If you read the Jony Ives interview he states that they didn't come at the Apple watch with any disdain for traditional watches. They appreciate and love them, they just wanted to come at it in a different way and they've added to the market with their offering.

Regarding appearance: I'm not particularly interested in the aesthetic that the current Apple Watch offers. I will say it looks better in photos/videos than it does in renders on the Apple site. But there are also people who wear Diesel watches and they pass as fashion items. It's not for everyone but there's a certain aesthetic appeal to some people.

Regarding battery: The 42mm supposedly can easily last a day, the smaller watch seems to struggle a little bit more.

In short the Apple watch and other smart watches will be disruptive to the watch industry, but not the truly impressive high-end. Smart watches will likely have the largest affect on brands that are largely quartz-only, such as Nixon. Tag Heur, Rolex, etc need not worry. Those with deep enough pockets to buy an Apple Watch Edition might likely already own a fine watch and this is just another in that collection.

[CURRENT] 2016 Porsche GT4 (for sale)
[PREVIOUS] '17 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, '16 M2, '13 911 C2 7MT, '08 E92 M3, '07 E92 335i, '97 M3 Coupe, '95 318ti
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
What i want to know is why people don't make threads to bitch about how TD Bank is in fact, not America's most convenient bank, as they claim they are? Or how the Fiat 500 is a joke compared to their adds. Or about how any other item for sale today doesn't live up to it's advertised hype.

Me thinks it's just people who like to hate on apple. No matter what you guys think, Maestro is right. The Apple watch is a fashion item, in no different terms than how a Prius is a fashion item for celebrities. And make no mistake; Apple is FAR better than anyone on this forum, or anyone writing blogs, or anyone in the comment section of those blogs at marketing and making money. They didn't make this watch by mistake. They know it will sell, they know it will spark interest in wearable technology. That sparked interest will create another sub industry of all it's own, speaking of wearable technology of course.

Just in the same way that the boom box unknowingly lead us to MP3 players; in a much shorter time span, this segment of wearable tech will lead us to some unknown bit of technology your kids and maybe you won't be able to live without.

From the outside looking in, you guys hating on Apple are no less clung to Apple's jock than the proverbial "fanboys".
Tall trees catch the most wind mate...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #15
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

There is nothing this can do to enhance my life.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #16
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Agree totally. I bet apple watch will be extinct within 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #17
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Fashion items? Lol...
I guess you have not seen where apple is placing all their watch Ad $, the majority of it was in the fashion industry.

Keep in mind a watch was a status symbol 200 years ago until it because a must have tech for the every day folk and today they not really used for utility purposes but more of a fashion and image statement as it was a long time ago.

Lastly Fashion is in the eyes of the beholder, thus the reason we have so many designs of watches to choose from today.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I am an avid watch collector and Apple product user as well (Iphone, Mac Book, Ipad, Apple TV, ect). And I have zero interest in the Apple watch. To me it seems totally unnecessary. I prefer the elegance of a fine timepiece then the modern looks of the smart watch. I do understand it's advantages for some people but not for me. I see no need to hate on it, but I have no need for it either. My birthday is coming up and I specifically told my wife no to get it for me.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #19
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybingo View Post
Apple watch will die in the next 2 or 3 years.. it's a piece of junk.... People will realize that $100 cost to replace battery is not worth it to invest in it.
how you know it is junk have you used one yet, I know the answer to that, no you have not since even the one in the stores run a demo program not the actually functional one. I like how people are ready to declare something as non-usable or junk when they never even used it.

Personally I am in a wait and see state with the Apple Watch. The fact that Apple is marketing as a fashion item not tech i suspect they realize that people will expect it to be usable well beyond the standard 2 to 3 yrs of everyday tech product.

Not sure what the cost to replace the battery will be, but I have a watch that cost $10 to replace the battery and another which cost $50 due to the process to unseal and reseal the unit. It is all relative. I would also expect the apple watch to have it battery replaced in 5+ yrs since it most likely to have a charge/discharge cycle around 2500 cycles which most batteries have if you properly charge them.

Last edited by Maestro; 04-17-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #20
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure what the cost to replace the battery will be, but I have a watch that cost $10 to replace the watch and another which cost $50 due to the process to unseal and reseal the unit. It is all relative. I would also expect the apple watch to have it batter replaced in 5+ yrs since it most like will have a charge/discharge cycle around 2500 cycles which most batteries have if you properly charge them.
Using Apple's own remarks about battery life of their other iOS devices as a guide, a 5-year life-expectancy is pure fantasy. 1-year life expectancy before severely diminished use (as already prevalent in all their devices) is something they have yet to conquer.

I purchased a couple of the watches during the pre-order as it was convenient, got home from the office rather late and figured why not; the plan is to off-load them all to the "need to have now" types that cannot wait until June/July.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #21
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
18 hours mixed used, 72 hours on standby. Not a joke at all.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/09/...power-reserve/
How is 18 hours half a day? Do you need it to last the full 24 hours because you never sleep?
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I guess you have not seen where apple is placing all their watch Ad $, the majority of it was in the fashion industry.

Keep in mind a watch was a status symbol 200 years ago until it because a must have tech for the every day folk and today they not really used for utility purposes but more of a fashion and image statement as it was a long time ago.

Lastly Fashion is in the eyes of the beholder, thus the reason we have so many designs of watches to choose from today.
This is considered fashion also mate...

Appreciate 0