BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Defective Tire from factory

05-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
Leehar
BlueMagic
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550

Defective Tire from factory

Hey All,

So I took delivery of my car back in November 2019, at the time I had the dealership throw on the winter set.

I got my summer set in bags and never took the time to inspect the tires, as I shouldn’t have to anyway. Long story short, fast forward to now - I put on my summer set and noticed that one of the tires has developed cracks all around. Now I’m not a fan of Michelin’s in general - but on a brand new set? That’s ridiculous.

Now what’s even more ridiculous is that I’m being told that at the local dealership that they can’t do anything to help me and my only chance is to contact the dealership I bought the car at and maybe they’ll do something out of ‘goodwill’. Anyone have similar experience with the 20” Michelin’s? Any suggestions are welcomed. TIA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Sorry you are having trouble. I am a big fan of Michelin, in fact, I couldn't wait to get the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics off my car, and get Michelin PS3ZPs on. No problems with them at all so far....love them. Maybe if you contact Michelin you can get some relief? Maybe get your aligment checked?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Tires are warrantied by the manufacturer. I'd reach out and get it sorted.

If they cover it they'd basically pay your dealer to swap you to another set of the tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #4
Titan2004
Private
Rep
Drives: M550i/M50i/488/Maybach/RR

Sorry you're having trouble. Not sure what Michelins you are running but summer tires generally perform terribly in cold temps and may crack as your picture shows. Seeing you're from Toronto, the temps right now could be below freezing..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehar View Post
Hey All,

So I took delivery of my car back in November 2019, at the time I had the dealership throw on the winter set.

I got my summer set in bags and never took the time to inspect the tires, as I shouldn't have to anyway. Long story short, fast forward to now - I put on my summer set and noticed that one of the tires has developed cracks all around. Now I'm not a fan of Michelin's in general - but on a brand new set? That's ridiculous.

Now what's even more ridiculous is that I'm being told that at the local dealership that they can't do anything to help me and my only chance is to contact the dealership I bought the car at and maybe they'll do something out of 'goodwill'. Anyone have similar experience with the 20" Michelin's? Any suggestions are welcomed. TIA
Which model Michelin tire is this? What's the date code on the side of tire. Two digit week followed by two digit year.
      05-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
Leehar
BlueMagic
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Which model Michelin tire is this? What's the date code on the side of tire. Two digit week followed by two digit year.
These are the pilot super sports. The BMW dealer had the date checked date for me, they’re from the 18th week of last year. I don’t think the age is the issue by any means here though.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
Leehar
BlueMagic
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2004 View Post
Sorry you're having trouble. Not sure what Michelins you are running but summer tires generally perform terribly in cold temps and may crack as your picture shows. Seeing you're from Toronto, the temps right now could be below freezing..
I agree on the temps but I’m careful to not drive on them when it’s close to freezing etc. But if it was in fact the cold the reason behind these ‘cracks’, why only one one tire? That’s what puzzles me.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
Leehar
BlueMagic
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Sorry you are having trouble. I am a big fan of Michelin, in fact, I couldn't wait to get the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics off my car, and get Michelin PS3ZPs on. No problems with them at all so far....love them. Maybe if you contact Michelin you can get some relief? Maybe get your aligment checked?
I don’t think alignment is the issue, the car isn’t pulling and it’s only the one tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
Leehar
BlueMagic
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Tires are warrantied by the manufacturer. I'd reach out and get it sorted.

If they cover it they'd basically pay your dealer to swap you to another set of the tires.
I’ve been told by the dealer that it’s a ‘several month’ process where they would have to physically send the tire to Michelin and see if they’ll reimburse. now I don’t mind waiting, but the dealer after reaching out to the dealer I bought the car from - they seem to think there is ‘nothing to worry about, must have taken a hard corner or something’. Now I didn’t buy this car to track, but I do track bikes and and I know what a tracker tire looks like.

Either way, I told the dealer to put it in writing for me, this was last week - mum’s the word so far.. go figures.
Appreciate 0