BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography feedback on some pictures from the woods...?

01-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

feedback on some pictures from the woods...?

1/640s
f/3.5
ISO 200
10mm

1/1600
f/3.5
ISO 100
10mm

any criticism or comments appreciated. trying to decide what direction i want to go with the set.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Any reason why you used f3.5? Generally you would use that kind of F stop if you want to create DOF which i dont think you would in either of those photos. If you want to get the sharpest photo then keen in mind most lenses are at their sharpest when the F stop is beween 6-9. Just something to remember for the future.

As for the photos, the first one doesn't really do anything for me, probably due to the subject. It looks like a run down shed of sorts but is hard to tell from the distance and the angle.
I do like the second shot, great angle and the black and white does it wonders.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
Any reason why you used f3.5? Generally you would use that kind of F stop if you want to create DOF which i dont think you would in either of those photos. If you want to get the sharpest photo then keen in mind most lenses are at their sharpest when the F stop is beween 6-9. Just something to remember for the future.

As for the photos, the first one doesn't really do anything for me, probably due to the subject. It looks like a run down shed of sorts but is hard to tell from the distance and the angle.
I do like the second shot, great angle and the black and white does it wonders.
the first one is at 3.5 because it was getting dark rapidly when I took it. you're right about the second one, though...when I looked at the metadata I almost slapped myself. for that one I was balancing myself on a tree 10 feet in the air, so all i really adjusted was shutter time.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

yea, landscape should be done at f/9 - 11. Bring a tripod next time. I don't really like the pp in the first one, kinda blends the foreground together. #2 has a nice sky, but i'm still not feeling it, can't really put it into words.
Appreciate 0