BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos After 8 months of M3 ownership, it's time to say goodbye!

10-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #45
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
That's because the GT-R hauls *** for the price.
True but I think it has much more to offer than it's speed. It's combination of styling, sounds and handling provide quite a bit of character. I would never buy a car just because of it's speed without having other attributes I also like. There are a lot of guys on the GTR forum that have exotic cars. Some of the mods going on in the Middle East and Russia are insane. Here is a vid of these Russian guys who imported the first 2012 with the Alpha12 package ($100,000 plus labor) as well as a couple other nice threads. The alpha9 package is selling like hotcakes. As if the car wasn't fast enough...there are some serious speed addicts out there.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index...._fromsearch__1

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....-off-a-bundle/

Last edited by erio; 10-10-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #46
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Wow.. I am having a very similar dilemma right now.. My 135i is constantly in the shop and my family HATEs the BMW brand because of it.. I really want to trade my 135i in for a used M3.. But on the other hand I have seen some good prices on used GTRs and I could pay a little more and be in super-car territory.

The GTRs repair costs are nuts.. But Im worried about another BMW just braking down every other month.. Also me being 22 years old (I turn 23 jan 1st) God knows how much insurance would be... I graduate USF in a semester and might have to knock out a class or 2 in the summer. I will have a bachelors of Finance.. So I hope to be working soon... Key word HOPE...

SORRY did not mean to but its seems close to my situation.. Any thoughts?
You're 22 and you're think about a GTR???
Sometimes this board just cracks me up.

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #47
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #48
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are some kids as young as 17 over on the gtr forum and it has created quite a long thread. My biggest concern about these kids, beyond not learning the value of the earning and saving money, is that it can get them hurt. Some of them blow all their money on the car and live at home with their parents, some claim inheritance and others simply have wealthy parents who spoil them the wrong way...bad idea. If someone has a car like this, they need to have a certain maturity level and a good amount of driving experience. 22 might not be too bad, but a teenage kid should not be driving this car in most cases.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....of-gtr-owners/

Last edited by erio; 10-09-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #49
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Wow.. I am having a very similar dilemma right now.. My 135i is constantly in the shop and my family HATEs the BMW brand because of it.. I really want to trade my 135i in for a used M3.. But on the other hand I have seen some good prices on used GTRs and I could pay a little more and be in super-car territory.

The GTRs repair costs are nuts.. But Im worried about another BMW just braking down every other month.. Also me being 22 years old (I turn 23 jan 1st) God knows how much insurance would be... I graduate USF in a semester and might have to knock out a class or 2 in the summer. I will have a bachelors of Finance.. So I hope to be working soon... Key word HOPE...

SORRY did not mean to but its seems close to my situation.. Any thoughts?
You must have rich parents because a BS in finance is going to get you nowhere in making money land to afford an m3 or a GTR so its a sure bet you are using your rents' money for your cars. At 22 that is embarrasing if you ask me
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #50
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Seems to me that you traded Panache (997) for Practicality & Prestige (M3) and now have settled for Performance & Entertainment (GTR). I give the GTR 6 months.
      10-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #51
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
I just want a fun reliable car. But I feel that you guys might be right a GTR my be a BIG step up from a 135i..

I know a 15 year old with an R8 and many 20 somethings with GTRs.. But Im still not sure if its the right move for me thats why Im here asking questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
You must have rich parents because a BS in finance is going to get you nowhere in making money land to afford an m3 or a GTR so its a sure bet you are using your rents' money for your cars. At 22 that is embarrasing if you ask me
Sorry to tell you this but something bad happened in my family.. So you are kind of right (its my parents money but it belongs to me now). But if you knew what happened you would feel bad.

Why do you think a BS in Finance will get me nowhere? I might go to Grad school or take 5 more classes and get an Accounting degree too.

Im a nice guy in a bad situation looking for help with a car.. Thanks guys.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by NewYearsBoy; 10-10-2011 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #52
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Why do you think a BS in Finance will get me nowhere? I might go to Grad school or take 5 more classes and get an Accounting degree too.
I know two people from college that made 300k ea their second year with a finance degree. They had virtually no lives and lived in NYC, but still. It all depends on you, and a number of things out of your control anyway. I also know other people that made 40-50k, and other still that had no jobs at all.

Just make sure you are doing something that makes you happy, or that you have fun doing most of the time. That's my suggestion; life is too short as you probably already know!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #53
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I know two people from college that made 300k ea their second year with a finance degree. They had virtually no lives and lived in NYC, but still. It all depends on you, and a number of things out of your control anyway. I also know other people that made 40-50k, and other still that had no jobs at all.

Just make sure you are doing something that makes you happy, or that you have fun doing most of the time. That's my suggestion; life is too short as you probably already know!
Thanks.. Im originally from Doylestown PA. And I enjoy business and Math so I think it will be a good fit..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #54
drey
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan, JZB/BB

"The GTR is a vehicle built with a single minded purpose: to the be fastest point A to B tool under a given price ceiling."

And it accomplishes this very well. That said, I think it's an ugly car - one man's opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #55
Simma
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
That's good for you. Go sit in a corner and crack yourself up some more. I'm 22 as well driving my 2nd M3. I don't get what there is to "crack yourself up" about?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #56
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
That's because the GT-R hauls *** for the price.
And that's exactly what it was built to do. As I said in my first response to the OP, if this is all you after, look no further. There is nothing at the GTR's price that can match its objective performance numbers.

Although for 2012, the GTR's are pricing into the mid $90's. It is not the bargain it used to be. Remember that it debuted in 2009 at under $75k. For not too much more you can step into a ZR-1 Vette. That, and the 911 TTS are the only two "normal" production cars that can objectively outrun a stock GTR.

If I was going to spend $95k on the GTR, I would just go ahead and spend the extra and get a ZR-1 Vette.
      10-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #57
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
And that's exactly what it was built to do. As I said in my first response to the OP, if this is all you after, look no further. There is nothing at the GTR's price that can match its objective performance numbers.

Although for 2012, the GTR's are pricing into the mid $90's. It is not the bargain it used to be. Remember that it debuted in 2009 at under $75k. For not too much more you can step into a ZR-1 Vette. That, and the 911 TTS are the only two "normal" production cars that can objectively outrun a stock GTR.

If I was going to spend $95k on the GTR, I would just go ahead and spend the extra and get a ZR-1 Vette.
If your looking for something more pratical that can be used as a DD (which I think you are), a GTR is a better option than a Vette. It has nicer interior, back seats, larger trunk, better seats and a better multimedia/sound system. I know the vettes have come a long way, with even the z06 putting down some amazing numbers. I just have never been a vette person. I'm bored with their styling. Maybe I'll get a vette when I turn 50 It's mostly older and retired guys you see driving these cars. Like I said, it's not all about just having a fast car. If that's the goal, you can pick up a Viper ACR (that posted a ring time of 7:12.13, I think the GTR can probably at least match it with the right setup) or an Ariel Atom. Anyway it's a personal preference. If the Vette does it for you then it makes sense.

Last edited by erio; 10-10-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #58
GOVCO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 AW M3 DCT [Slight Mods]

[scratches head...wonders why people are such dicks sometimes...] A guy sold his M3 for a GT-R. Be happy, and stop hating. Damn!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #59
GB///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, X5 M60i

Congrats! Awesome car!
And don't worry haters gonna hate!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #60
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
You are all of, what, 24? You can't throw the word flag up, you're in the same boat, bs'ing all day about buying an M3 now a GTR.

I can't wait for you to buy another car and leave this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #61
odiesback
2021 330ix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330ix

Garage List
what a bad way to start my day:
Opening a thread in the M3 forum to look at
pics of a Nissan!!!

Please no lectures on performance, so fast blah blah blah

It's still a Nissan in my book, from the same family that gives you
the Sentras and Maximas of the world.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #62
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
You are all of, what, 24? You can't throw the word flag up, you're in the same boat, bs'ing all day about buying an M3 now a GTR.

I can't wait for you to buy another car and leave this forum.

Never said I was going to buy a GT-R. I can't afford a GT-R. Anyway. Back on iggy list you go. I thought you actually had something constructive to say. O and You'll have to deal with me. The M3 is coming.Too bad, so sad.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #63
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiesback View Post
what a bad way to start my day:
Opening a thread in the M3 forum to look at
pics of a Nissan!!!

Please no lectures on performance, so fast blah blah blah

It's still a Nissan in my book, from the same family that gives you
the Sentras and Maximas of the world.
Says the 328i owner. Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #64
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

nice switch, 2012 version would have been even sweeter.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #65
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

OP, congrats on your new ride. Looks nice. GTR is an icon itself. I like the styling, the power and how it takes it to 911. But it's not for everyone, as is M3. I love my car and I haven't second guessed my decision to get one. You're lucky to have owned both.

As for the member crapping on Nissan, the brand is very reliable and I'd get another pathfinder when the time comes. I've had it for 8 years. The only thing is, they're getting expensive. Hope to keep mine for another 8 years.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #66
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Congrats! It is a beast of a car. I'm curious about what you'll be driving in another 8 months.....
Appreciate 0