BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Getting rid of crappy Good Year RF's...Spare tire kit reasonable price?

03-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Getting rid of crappy Good Year RF's...Spare tire kit reasonable price?

I'm going to put on PS4's on my G30 with 20" wheels. I've been looking for spare tire option as some of the clinics I visit are a bit remote. I've only been able to find this as a complete set: Spare tire kit

So far it's the only one I've found that duplicates the stock $150 kit. The $800+ price is a crazy ripoff though. I've seen some others for less but they only include the spare tire period which I don't want bouncing around my trunk.
'
Does anyone else know a better supplier? My local dealer was useless....
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
I'm going to put on PS4's on my G30 with 20" wheels. I've been looking for spare tire option as some of the clinics I visit are a bit remote. I've only been able to find this as a complete set: Spare tire kit

So far it's the only one I've found that duplicates the stock $150 kit. The $800+ price is a crazy ripoff though. I've seen some others for less but they only include the spare tire period which I don't want bouncing around my trunk.
'
Does anyone else know a better supplier? My local dealer was useless....
I've seen the same kits put together for about $650. It's the same exact thing as the $150 OEM kit. This is why every vehicle should be ordered with one. It can always be removed if you need the trunk space.
Appreciate 1
magbarn167.50
      03-06-2019, 12:19 AM   #3
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Can't help with the kit but you will love the PS4S

My winter kit is 19" RFTs and run them only in January and February, cannot imagine running RFTs all year.
20" PS4S I run rest of the year are much more comfortable than 19" RTFs.
Handling and braking performance do not even compare of course.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 1
magbarn167.50
      03-06-2019, 05:48 AM   #4
StuW530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 545e M Sport

Although not a spare tyre, have you considered tyre slime instead? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003QHY0...791&th=1&psc=1
No good if your tyre is shredded but it will plug a puncture until you can get to a repair shop...
Appreciate 1
magbarn167.50
      03-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuW530e View Post
Although not a spare tyre, have you considered tyre slime instead? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003QHY0...th=1&psc=1
No good if your tyre is shredded but it will plug a puncture until you can get to a repair shop...
I might just do this but one of the clinics I work at is about 40 miles (64km ha!) away from decent civilization. Also the slime kills the tpms along with getting your tire guy angry at you who has to clean. Advantage is trunk stays clear and it's much cheaper!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I'm constantly debating the same thing. Had PS4S on my M4, and they were awesome. My last several cars(Mini, Porsche, M4, and motorcycles) have not had a spare, just a pump, and slime. Also carry a DynaPlug kit. Never had a problem (knock on wood!). Have you considered the Michelin runflats? I'm thinking about them, also. Not sure what to do, but I definitely do not want to give up that much trunk space.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

As VirtualGuitars noted, your dealer can put together the same complete kit for less money. I got a quote of about $560 with a discount. However in talking with everyone in the dealership about it (I used to work there) I couldn't find anyone who was a big supporter of having the kit. When I asked if the dealership had any 5 series cars in stock with the spare kits to look at, my sales guy went through the in stock inventory and incoming cars list and the answer was no. They don't order them for inventory. So I decided not to get the kit. I think if I had to do it again, I would order the kit (for only $150) and as noted above remove it when I want more trunk space or was going on a long trip. Helps to be lucky. Just finished a 3,500 road trip and fortunately did not have any tire problems. --Bob.
      03-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
As VirtualGuitars noted, your dealer can put together the same complete kit for less money. I got a quote of about $560 with a discount. However in talking with everyone in the dealership about it (I used to work there) I couldn't find anyone who was a big supported of having the kit. When I asked if the dealership had any 5 series cars in stock with the spare kits to look at, my sales guy went through the in stock inventory and incoming cars list and the answer was no. They don't order them for inventory. So I decided not to get the kit. I think if I had to do it again, I would order the kit (for only $150) and as noted above remove it when I want more trunk space or was gong on a long trip. Helps to be lucky. Just finished a 3,500 road trip and fortunately did not have any tire problems. --Bob.
Exactly. The only way you'll get a spare tire kit from the factory is if you specifically order a vehicle with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As VirtualGuitars noted, your dealer can put together the same complete kit for less money. I got a quote of about $560 with a discount. However in talking with everyone in the dealership about it (I used to work there) I couldn't find anyone who was a big supporter of having the kit. When I asked if the dealership had any 5 series cars in stock with the spare kits to look at, my sales guy went through the in stock inventory and incoming cars list and the answer was no. They don't order them for inventory. So I decided not to get the kit. I think if I had to do it again, I would order the kit (for only $150) and as noted above remove it when I want more trunk space or was going on a long trip. Helps to be lucky. Just finished a 3,500 road trip and fortunately did not have any tire problems. --Bob.
Can your dealer get me that deal? I want everything including the spare tire carrier and storage parts that are aft of the spare tire.

The cheaper kits only come with the spare tire and the jack and wrench that fit in a styrofoam holder and they expect you to use ghetto looking tie downs to hold it down.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #10
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Don't know why the spare tire option isn't more popular for only $150 with order or $500-600 afterwards. It does reduce trunk space but worth. The slime stuff will kill you tire balance and TPMS. Here are some photos.
Attached Images

03-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Don't know why the spare tire option isn't more popular for only $150 with order or $500-600 afterwards. It does reduce trunk space but worth. The slime stuff will kill you tire balance and TPMS. Here are some photos.
I've been wondering this for quite some time. I asked my dealer about this on my latest purchase and he said it's because of the trunk space. It's harder for them to sell the vehicle. On X6's it wouldn't matter. The wheel well is there regardless, but would take away lower storage.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #12
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep

So I've called several online places like bavauto/ecstuning that sell the G30 spare tire "kit". The $600 or kits only come with the compact spare tire, the styrofoam(or whatever material) holder that goes inside the tire that holds the scissor jack/wrench/wheel chock, a strap/cover for the spare tire.
In other words, it'll look like my E90 trunk did with the spare tire being held by straps, looking like a car from the 70's...
They don't include the nice compartment that holds the spare tire and the compartment with the 2 partitions that are in front of the tire when you're looking at it from the rear. Those two parts alone are over $300. So in reality, the $150 BMW charges it as a factory option is really about over $1000 if you're paying full retail or about $900 through getbmwparts. Basically highway robbery.

So for those who only paid $150 for your kits, turn around and sell it for $600 when you decide to get rid of your cars or realize you made a $850 deal!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I've called several online places like bavauto/ecstuning that sell the G30 spare tire "kit". The $600 or kits only come with the compact spare tire, the styrofoam(or whatever material) holder that goes inside the tire that holds the scissor jack/wrench/wheel chock, a strap/cover for the spare tire.
In other words, it'll look like my E90 trunk did with the spare tire being held by straps, looking like a car from the 70's...
They don't include the nice compartment that holds the spare tire and the compartment with the 2 partitions that are in front of the tire when you're looking at it from the rear. Those two parts alone are over $300. So in reality, the $150 BMW charges it as a factory option is really about over $1000 if you're paying full retail or about $900 through getbmwparts. Basically highway robbery.

So for those who only paid $150 for your kits, turn around and sell it for $600 when you decide to get rid of your cars or realize you made a $850 deal!
You can get the BMW OEM spare tire kit for about $800 online. All of the parts you mentioned are included. All genuine BMW parts.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/p-g30-5-...set-pkg30spare
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #14
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Can your dealer get me that deal? I want everything including the spare tire carrier and storage parts that are aft of the spare tire.

The cheaper kits only come with the spare tire and the jack and wrench that fit in a styrofoam holder and they expect you to use ghetto looking tie downs to hold it down.
What I did is googled the spare kit and went to the BAVAUTO website. They listed all the parts included in their kit by the BMW part numbers.Their kit is about $635; not an unreasonable amount but I don't know about shipping. Here is the link: https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-spare-tire-kit-b36000202. I took that list to the parts manager at my local dealer and he gave me a quote. I may have gotten a particularly favorable discount as I used to work there, but not really sure about that. You could do that or contact Trunk Monkey for the same thing. One thing I was not sure about was the carpeted cover over the spare and kit. It was not on the parts list. Is it just the panel that is already on the floor? That's my guess. --Bob
      03-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

What I did is googled the spare kit and went to the BAVAUTO website. They listed all the parts included in their kit by the BMW part numbers. I took that list to the parts manager at my local dealer and he gave me a quote. I may have gotten a particularly favorable discount as I used to work there. You could do that or contact Trunk Monkey for the same thing. One thing I was not sure about was the carpeted cover over the spare and kit. It was not on the parts list. Is it just the panel that is already on the floor? That's my guess. --Bob
Their site does mention something to the effect of modification to the trunk area will be necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #16
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What I did is googled the spare kit and went to the BAVAUTO website. They listed all the parts included in their kit by the BMW part numbers.Their kit is about $635; not an unreasonable amount but I don't know about shipping. Here is the link: https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-spare-tire-kit-b36000202. I took that list to the parts manager at my local dealer and he gave me a quote. I may have gotten a particularly favorable discount as I used to work there, but not really sure about that. You could do that or contact Trunk Monkey for the same thing. One thing I was not sure about was the carpeted cover over the spare and kit. It was not on the parts list. Is it just the panel that is already on the floor? That's my guess. --Bob
I appreciate your research but that one doesn't include the inserts used to create the false floor in the spare tire kit that costs $300+ total
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #17
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Or maybe pm a few guys looks like a few guys ordered run flat with spacer as well so assuming some might get rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #18
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Quote:

What I did is googled the spare kit and went to the BAVAUTO website. They listed all the parts included in their kit by the BMW part numbers. I took that list to the parts manager at my local dealer and he gave me a quote. I may have gotten a particularly favorable discount as I used to work there. You could do that or contact Trunk Monkey for the same thing. One thing I was not sure about was the carpeted cover over the spare and kit. It was not on the parts list. Is it just the panel that is already on the floor? That's my guess. --Bob
Their site does mention something to the effect of modification to the trunk area will be necessary.
I noticed that cars without the spare tyre option have cargo net hooks sticking out so maybe they mean these will have to be removed as mine doesn't have them. It wouldn't fit with them there.
      03-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #19
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I noticed that cars without the spare tyre option have cargo net hooks sticking out so maybe they mean these will have to be removed as mine doesn't have them. It wouldn't fit with them there.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that strap in your car used to hold down the spare tire is using the cargo hooks...
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #20
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that strap in your car used to hold down the spare tire is using the cargo hooks...
Quote:
Quote:
My dealer tried to talk me out of ordering car with spare and non runflats. I told him I hste runflats and I am so glad I payed for spare in build. They should include in every 5 series. You can easily remove spare from trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #21
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My dealer tried to talk me out of ordering car with spare and non runflats. I told him I hste runflats and I am so glad I payed for spare in build. They should include in every 5 series. You can easily remove spare from trunk.
Good for you. It's dumb why dealer love crappy RFs so much. I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay the $930 for the kit with shipping. I'm gonna throw in a brake fluid and oil change kit while I'm in there
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #22
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

This issue has been discussed in another thread. May I just say, respectfully and without any intention to argue or demean, that there is another point of view. I have been all over the country in my last several vehicles, including several motorcycles, without a spare. My wife's E350, with 130K on the clock has a spacesaver spare which has never been touched. I have always carried a pump, tire slime, and a Dynaplug kit, also never used, but with the ability to rescue me if I get a nail which causes rapid deflation (which is unlikely). If you shread a tire locally, with a spare kit and an empty trunk, you will be able to rescue yourself by changing the tire. However, on a trip, with a full trunk (much smaller than mine, if you have a spare kit), where are you going to put the filthy and quite large wheel you remove, with the shredded tire on it? You will, ultimately, have to leave it on the side of the road, or call a tow truck. My considered choice will be, if I decide to get rid of the runflats (which I may do), to continue to run without a spare using the kit I described above, and to call a tow truck in a catastrophe, which will cost me time, but insurance will cover the monetary cost. That way, as I did on my Mini, Porsche, motorcycles, and M4, I can run the Michelin PS4S(etc) and maintain my trunk space for golf clubs, luggage, and other neat stuff. Just my $.02.
Appreciate 2